June 5th, 2008

Polls: Obama, McCain locked in dead heat

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

(CNN) - One day after the general election officially kicked off, a new CNN "poll of polls" suggests Barack Obama and John McCain are locked in a tight race for the White House.

According to CNN's average of four recent national polls, the-newly minted Democratic presidential nominee holds a narrow 2 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 47 percent to 45 percent. Nearly 10 percent say they are undecided.

The polls included in the sample were conducted between May 21 and June 3, all before Obama officially wrapped up the nomination Tuesday night. The poll of polls included recent surveys from CBS, Gallup, Pew, and Newsweek.

1. Lora B.

Yep, and Nobama is going to be 10 points behind after the republicans get a hold of him. Better pick Hillary as your running mate if you expect to win this November.

June 5, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Michigan Voter

Democrats have been running the country since 2006. They could have out voted Bush on many things...why haven't they? Remember all the Dems that won in 2006 said they were going to change they why haven't they? These are the real questions, and the Dems have been running my state of Michigan and look we are the worst state in the nation with unemployment.

June 5, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Jon S.

I do not believe for a second that Obama is really only a couple of points ahead of McCain. Do Americans really want the Bush policies for four more years or do they want change, for real?

We'll see in November. June polls are meaningless.

Just remember, America, McCain does not support affordable healthcare for all Americans, pretends to be a maverick when he has just as many high-powered lobbyists as any other candidate, and panders to the right, when it suits him.

June 5, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. Lars Larson

Jesse Ventura ran for governor of Minnesota in the 90's. No one took him seriously because they only saw him as a washed-up wrestler. They did not take into account all of the 18-35 year olds who saw him as an icon. They turned out in record droves to vote for him.

Barack Obama is the icon of this generation's 18-35 year olds. I know that some in that age category don't like him, but they are a minority. Obama is this generation's JFK. Don't agree with the comparison? I think it's accurate. He has inspired many people, including me, who were apathetic about politics.

June 5, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. Rob - WA

Clinton folks who are willing to vote for McCain:

Are you really THAT willing to trash everything Clinton stands for by doing this out of spite? Do you think that is what Clinton would want you to do? Here is a thought – use your brain for a few minutes and think. I do hope that Clinton addresses this sick attitude that seems to be out among her supporters of "ill vote McCain then!" as it is really tiring and I cannot imagine Hillary being proud of ANY supporter of hers who would have the gall to do such a thing. If you do vote McCain all it tells me is you are not a true supporter of HER ideals and are willing to take a piss on her lifes work just out of spite. Sad indeed.

June 5, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. WM

People face it! how hard is it ?
    McCain = More of the same
    McCain = More of the same
    McCain = More of the same

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. Ken

Jeff Tobin is a tool, Jack Cafferty is a joke, Anderson Cooper (bless his soul) needs to come out for "gay men for Obama", and Gloria Borgia is a disgrace.

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. leapfrog

How many years was McCain a POW? Tell me he doesn't have PTSD and I won't believe you. No one can undergo that level of mental and physical torture for so long without residual effects. No one. As much as I honor the guy's sacrifice, we need someone healthy and vigorous in charge.

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  9. Tim from Ohio

I am a life long democrat and have never voted for a republican but I will not vote for Obama. I wouldn't vote for him in a million years. No way, Jose. Instead, I will vote for McCain and you know why.

McCain in 08'

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. Robert

Democrats UNITE.

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  11. Kelly, PA

As Senators Obama and McCain enter into the next phase of this election process, I have confidence that my candidate will shine as the debates begin. McCain will try to use personal attacks on Sen. Obama and patronize Clinton with compliments (which he just recently started to show such profuse admiration for her) to pander to a part of her base. Dems, don't let the GOP doop us out of another election. The world is watching to see if we as the people of this country will reject the failed policies of George Bush. And Dems, no more bashing of Sen. Clinton. She is a democrat and is on our side. Period. I have confidence she will campaign for Obama since she understands what is at hand. I may not agree with her brand of politics, but she will offer her unique talents to advance the party along with her colleagues. A house divided cannot stand and that is what the GOP wants. We must unite and stop attacking each other to give the GOP a mighty blow. Obama '08

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. Ex-military vet in Atascocita TX

Who is voting for McCain? People that dont mind a couple more years of war? People that dont mind high gas prices( that come with a couple more years with war)? With higher gas prices, the price of transporting goods goes up. The more it costs to transport goods, then the price of everything.. EVERYTHING goes up.

Our pay is not going up but the price of every single thing in sight at the grocery store and just about any store is going up. This is a bad thing. How do we save ourselves? By ending war. We are diverting millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel to Iraq and Afganistan to fight. Thus, causing the demand to go up. Higher demand causes higher prices.

No war.. please...

June 5, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  13. Seth

Of all the people posting here – how many of us have ever been polled? I seriously wonder about the credibility of all the numerous polls when NO ONE I have spoken to has ever participated in one.
    Just WHO do they contact?

June 5, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. Obama 08

I loved the fact that Hillary ran for her campaign but I think Obama is the respectable candidate. You cant really believe that Hillary was cheated out. The media made Obama name worse than Hillary's name. Now that she lost everyone's knocking Obama. Either way this went I would have been happy being a black woman.

June 5, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. Kiah

HRC supporters your candidate is USING you as bargaining tools. Please get a clue and stop acting like petty children.

June 5, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  16. Lisa

Hillary Clinton 2012, enough said!!

June 5, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  17. LaLa in KCMO

STOP WITH THE POLLS!

Surveying 1000-2000 is NOT a good representation of the American people!

June 5, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  18. JOEL FROM MN

As a democrat and a veteran, it has deeply saddened me this week to read some of these comments. I hear on CNN that we are trying to unite the party but reading the comments all week most said they will not support the other democratic candidate. So how can we start healing this rift if we will not support the other candidate and continue writing such negative comments toward the candidates. We should all be supporting each other by banding together and make sure the democratic party takes back the White House! McCain says he wants to be in Iraq for a hundred years, and he is also not supportive in the universal healthcare, so we have to take back the White House so we can bring our troops home and start taking care of Americans.

Joel, MN

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. Independent in Iowa

T:

It's not that we aren't democrats or Americans, we've been personally offended by the attacks on Hillary and her supporters. Some of them have started to play nice, but I feel it's too late for that.

She has been called every name in the book. Fact is, Obama split the party, not Hillary. Her supporters have been with her from day 1. I personally feel half of the party abandoned her (and us) and that's hard to forgive.

He needs her – I hope he realizes that. If she were to declare herself as an independent, this party would no longer be competetive. She isn't going to do that, though. She must not be as hateful and self-centered as many of you have accused her to be. She may have forgiven you, but I'm not sure I can.

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. Scot (Mississippi)

Check Nobama's vote record at votesmart.org and you will all wake up and realize we are in some major trouble. For that matter, check Hillary's and McCain's record too and feel even worse. Any hope for our future?

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  21. Dickson Shreffler

I am a middled aged white male...age does matter...McCain may have wisdom...but with wisdom you often lose vision....We do not need another old white guy in the White House. And we do not know him...remember George Jr. the uniter, not a divider and his "run the country like a business"...Yeah right.....Please God...No More.....

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  22. Hillary Supporter

I will cast a vote for John McCain or write in Hillary's name. One thing Obama supporters should stop doing is telling Hillary supporters that we should "get on board" or McCain is like Bush. We can think for ourselves thank you. We do not happen to think Obama is Presidential material so stop shoving him down our throats. Obama will not get us out of the war any faster than McCain. If fact, McCain will get us out more safely. It has been dem. congress and they have not been able to end the war – so what does that tell you. Hillary might be out, but that does not mean Obama is in. We Hillary supporters owe you nothing – so get off your soap box – we are not interested.

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  23. Franky

"CNN plz post my note.
    I am strong Hillary supporter but there is not way for me to vote for Obama even if she is on the ticket.
    I completely don't trust him, consider him as phenomen created by shamelessy proObama's media and corrupted DNC who knows that he is weak person and they hope to control him wheil he is in WH."

You have no life!!! LOL!!!!! I got some advice for you.... maybe, just maybe, if you don't pay attention to this election, you'll be fine......TRUST ME! LOL!!!!

It seems to me that some people are gonna need "medication", LOL!!!! Looks like this "therapy" was good.....but not too good! LOL!!!!

I told you we have an idendity crisis..........

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. Greg, Mpls

All of the supposed Hillary supporters are likely scum from the repugnant party just meesing up the forum. Any true supporter of Hillary like myself will wholeheartedly support Obama as the candidate and the DNC.

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  25. Dave

Clinton supporters that vow to stay home or vote McCain will only be hurting themselves in the long run. If their lack of support shows up as a major reason McCain wins, then I promise you that Clinton will not have any kind of future in politics. Her supporters will have made her into a very bad omen.
    The rest of the democratic party will be upset at Clinton and her supporters and she'd stand no chance of winning anything in 4 or 8 years.
    If Obama wins, and the Clinton fanatics are still at it, then I can tell you she still won't have a chance in 8 years to run again.
    The crazy fanatics are making a very very bad name for Clinton, and are only hurting themselves.
    Clinton didn't lose because of sexism or the media. I and many others would be proud to vote for a woman, and the media declared her a winner before the first vote was cast. Any time she would start to catch back up to Obama, they'd cast her as the comeback kid and talk about how she still has a great chance of winning. It wasn't until the math was completely against here did anyone question why she was still in this.
    Clinton lost because she ran a campaign based on the type of politics we want to get rid of. She lost because she underestimated Obama. She lost fair and square because she was not the best candidate.
    I would have been proud to vote for her at the start of this process, but her somewhat dirty tactics, and her crazy fans that would rather cry foul than try to campaign fairly, made me lose a lot of respect for her.

Her addition to the ticket would not be the best thing for the party. She does not appeal to GOP or Indy voters. Obama needs a running mate that will help him in swing states, with GOP voters, or with Indy voters. Those are the battlegrounds. Clinton will only unite the GOP against the Dems. McCain is seen as more moderate than Clinton by Indy voters. The party needs to unite behind the party and stop this childish blackmailing for votes BS. Clinton could do a lot more with a cabinet position such as Sec of State any day than she could with a VP slot.

June 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |