June 5th, 2008

Polls: Obama, McCain locked in dead heat

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

(CNN) - One day after the general election officially kicked off, a new CNN "poll of polls" suggests Barack Obama and John McCain are locked in a tight race for the White House.

According to CNN's average of four recent national polls, the-newly minted Democratic presidential nominee holds a narrow 2 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 47 percent to 45 percent. Nearly 10 percent say they are undecided.

The polls included in the sample were conducted between May 21 and June 3, all before Obama officially wrapped up the nomination Tuesday night. The poll of polls included recent surveys from CBS, Gallup, Pew, and Newsweek.

1. hugues

if OBAMA loose ,It going to be because of Hillary and when Hillary is going to run at 2012, she is gonna loose because of Obama supporters,so do not be stupid vote for democrates.
    OBAMA 08 &12

June 5, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Clinton Supporter

I am with you Hillary Supporter!!!

June 5, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. Tim

Josh,

You and your ilk are the epitome of just how stupid voters are in this country. And good Lord, there are so many stupid ones.

To say that you'll vote for a candidate who is a political opposite of your candidate, just because your "favorite person" didn't make the nomination is ludicrous.

So, if Hillary is the candidate, you're saying: "I want the war over. I want universal healthcare. I want to restore our country's standing in the world."

But if Hillary's not the candidate, you're saying "I want the war to continue, I think universal healthcare is a failed idea, and I want the world to continue disrespecting and hating our country."

Yep. That settles it. You're an idiot.

June 5, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. JOSH

AS A VOTER WHO IS BACKED BY MILLIONS, BARACK BETTER KNOW THAT WE DEMAND HER ON THE TICKET BECAUSE I AS AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS WILL MAKE SURE NO ONE WINS . JUST MCAIN!! PUT HER ON THE TICKET OR START WRITING YOUR OWN CONCESSION SPEECH OBAMA. WE GOT THE SAME STRENGTH AS THE OBAMA SUPPORTERS AND IF WE BACKED MCAIN HE WOULD WIN. DONT THINK THAT I CARE ABOUT THE PARTY CAUSE I DONT!!!PERIOD. YOU SEE HILLARY CANT DEMAND THAT SHE BE ON THE TICKET, BUT WE CAN!!!!THE VOTERS!!!

June 5, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. Seth

So...every negative thing Hillary said about McCain ( and would continue to say about him if she were the nominee ) is now going to be overlooked by her supporters when they cast their vote? The irony of this is that you do not even honor Hillary's point of view or political stance if you give your vote to the man she would have run against! it is quite ridiculous.
    I think this only shows we have a racist country after all.
    John McCain may be all the negative things Hillary said and a Republican- but he will now garner Democratic votes because he is WHITE.

June 5, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. Ms. Smith

I think a great many Obama supporters still don't get it - but why should they, since the national media doesn't either. I do not think the ardent Hillary supporters dislike Obama as much as they do some of you, along with your stupid, hateful comments. In addition, the media continues to be in the bag for Obama, not even allowing Clinton a graceful exit after 15 months of trench warfare (holy moses, what difference does 3 days matter at this point, if it makes her and her supporters more comfortable doing it their way). When the Clinton bashing STOPS, then I believe the environment will have been created for a true reconciliation. For those who think the country missed some great opportunity to hold hands on Tuesday evening, I remind you that we have the convention in August, the election in November, and (hopefully) the inauguration in January, at which time the entire country can celebrate the annointing, election, and swearing in, respectively, of our first African American President. In the meantime, 'ol dopey ones' keep your eyes on the prize - the Presidency in 2009.

So .. to all those Clinton haters on the blogs - take a deep breath and settle down. A little kindness at this time will go a very long way in uniting both sides. And that definitely is in the interests of Obama, and that should be in the best interest of our nation - at least that is supposed to be the battle cry, isn't it!

June 5, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Brian Knoxville, TN

To all thinking Democrats,

Be as loyal to the Democratic Party as it is to itself.

The leadership has failed us all.

McCain for President '08

June 5, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. KL

Get ready for another Republican president to mess up our country even more..... Should have had Hillary in November!!

June 5, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. Bill

To all the "Hillary or MCCain" ""Democrats""..... Good riddance...

June 5, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. Eric From NJ - Obama all the way

Listen up people I'm sick and tired of this party being so split because Obama Beat Hillary... we finally have a candidate that will start to lift the nation out of the hole the Republicans have been digging for the last eight years, and all i keep hearing is i don't know if i can vote for Obama after he beat Hillary. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! Hillary supporters stop being bitter about the loss, go find an Obama supporter so you can kiss and make up. We have a bigger problem and i call him John McCain Bush the 3rd!! So get it together people, let's unite and start something that will echo in the history books from now until the end of time. WHO'S WITH ME!!!

June 5, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. Penny from California

To really mix things up in this weird and crazy election, I think John McCain and Hillary Clinton should join together on the same ticket...You want change...sounds good to me....
    I Will never vote for Barack Hussein Obama....he is too dangerous, and we do not know enough about this man....And Michelle Obama what a joke she is...so fake....
    With that said, I will have nothing more to do with the Democratic Party...
    I will along with 18+ million other people will always be a Hillary Rodham Clinton supporter...

June 5, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. atypical

One poster writes, "I would vote for the devil I know over the devil I don't know.And I am a Democrat.Go McCain '08 !!!!"

ANd this is precisely what so many of us do in so many areas of our lives: We avoid change because of our fear of the unknown.
    How many people do you know that stay in the same jobs, the same relationships because they are afraid to embrace the unknown?

Let's all let go of the rocks we cling to in the river and move on downstream.

June 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. The Oracle

I as an Obama supporter, and African American am proud of Obama, and especially this Country. I won't say the next 8 yrs will be the best, but I'll say they'll be noticeably better than the last 8. Obama supporters, stop bashing Clinton. Let them bash Obama if they so choose. They're hurt, and understandably so. Now is the time to unify. Even Hillary's own congressional delegation had to pull the plug. But now that she will endorse and campaign for Obama, the vast majority of her supporters will fall in line.

June 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. Chut Pata

My voting pattern:

1980 Reagan
    1984 Reagan
    1988 George Bush Sr
    1992 Ross Perot
    1996 none (would have voted Ross Perot)
    2000 (unfortunately) George Dubya Bush against Sore-Loserman
    2004 none (would have voted McCain)
    2008 OBAMA

Lifelong conservative voting for a liberal for the first time in my life. Never imagined I would ever do that.

OBAMA 08

June 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. DJ

I really don't understand how all the Hillary supporters can be so upset at Obama. The guy has run an incredibly above board and gracious campaign since day one. He has not attacked her NEARLY as much as he could have and I'm sure, others would have wanted him to. I don't get how you can be so upset at him.

Secondly, all this talk about sexism is ridiculous when frankly, many of the outspoken Hillary supporters are backing her first and foremost because she is a woman!! I mean, THAT is sexism when you support someone primarily (not saying entirely) because of her gender!!

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. Sheila - IL

Why is O'bama an African-American candidate? American should be proud of our first bi-racial candidate. I will not support him, but as a teacher of social studies I will praise our society for seeing past the racial differences that have divided our country for way too long. Bi-racial (ism) is the new wave in the US. O'Bama is a wonderful example of this acceptance by the population of the United States of American.

Go McCain!

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. ben/augusta

I am sick and tired of hearing about the number of people who did not vote for Obama. No one seems to focus on the number of votes he did receive, which were enough to win the nomination. This latest poll by CNN carries as much weight as a snow flake. We will be inundated wil polls before the Nov general election. The democrats will come together soon and help to propel Sen Obama to the presidency.

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. soliver - Detroit, MI

For those of you "SO CALLED" Democrats, voting for Mccain, You and Your Family deserve exactly what you will get with another Repub as President.

This is not about any canidate this is about our Country. Nothing will get down with a Deomocrat Senate, house and congress with a Repub president.

You people are really acting like you're in highschool. We are grown and for you to act the way is unacceptable.

The Repubs cut MI/FL into half delagates so what is your real arguement here.

So when you're paying 6 dollars for gas, get laid off, and kids won't be able to go to school because of lack of funds .. blame yourself. You're the same idiots that voted for bush and the problem with America!

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. Terry, Dallas Texas

Try going to realclearpolitics.com. They have good breakdowns of all polls including the battleground states. And while Clinton beats Obama in Florida notice IOWA. That is going to be a big part of the campaign this year. You want to contest the big states but you also want to poach a few smaller states as well. It all about getting to 270!

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. Rob

Obama better win this time cuz America might not be the same anymore after four more years of Bush policies...........the ECONOMY is going down........and we all know that every GREAT nation that ever stood before started declining after its economy started declining!!!!!!!!
    SOOOOOOO YA.....OBAMA 08

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. D Frank

For Obama it is a very difficult but simple decision. The GE will not be a cake walk against Senator McCain but his chances for success in the GE will be significantly improved if not guaranteed if he selects Hillary Clinton as his running mate (the VP position.

If he listens to the Hillary haters within his party or continues to exhibit the arrogance that he has been showing towards Hillary then there is a good chance that Hillary will be running for the Presidency in 4 years after McCain completes his one and only term.

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  22. The Oracle

Chris, not if Obama takes Ted Strickland. And the jews and hispanics in Florida vote in their best interest.

June 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. OBAMA FAN

I guess the people commenting to the 18 million who supposedly voted for Clinton to vote for McCann are only punishing themselves.

I believe Obama and Clinton both were treated equally. I like Hillary and would have voted for her if she had received the nomination. There is no way I would vote for another 4 years of McBush.

Florida and Michigan votes were not robbed from Hillary. She knew what the DNC had said would happen if the states did not follow the rules. I actually blame Florida and Michigan for this mess. Why didn't they do the right thing for their citizens, then both could have legitmately campaigned in both states?

June 5, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. Rocky

After seeing reports like this I think this shows why the Dream Ticket is not a totally fickle idea but rather a way to insure that Democrats win this November. As much as the political pundits have said that it probably won't happen it looks as if it needs to to make a win a reality. I have heard all the stuff that Obama' message would be muddled as he is new change and Hillary is old Washington coupled with the baggage of Bill but if unity and winning is important this is the way to go. I for one would pay more attention to the Demo ticket versus turning the media report off as I'm doing now.

June 5, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. Penny from California

I Agree with Hillary Supporter...!

I will cast a vote for John McCain or write in Hillary's name. One thing Obama supporters should stop doing is telling Hillary supporters that we should "get on board" or McCain is like Bush. We can think for ourselves thank you. We do not happen to think Obama is Presidential material so stop shoving him down our throats. Obama will not get us out of the war any faster than McCain. If fact, McCain will get us out more safely. It has been dem. congress and they have not been able to end the war – so what does that tell you. Hillary might be out, but that does not mean Obama is in. We Hillary supporters owe you nothing – so get off your soap box – we are not interested.

June 5, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |