June 8th, 2008

Clinton's new job: Persuading diehard fans to back Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign on Saturday."]

(CNN) - With Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign officially over, she is focusing on making sure her supporters back Sen. Barack Obama's bid.

Throughout the primary season, Clinton and Obama expressed confidence the Democrats would unify once a nominee emerged.

As Clinton closed her campaign Saturday, she urged the cheering crowd of thousands to support Obama in his run for the White House, saying she and supporters should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Her endorsement was met with a scattering of boos and thumbs downs from the crowd at the National Building Museum in Washington.

In a CNN poll released Friday, 60 percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for McCain and 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the nominee.

Full story

1. seah

Clinton is honoring her word.

She has more honor, commitment and a better person than any of the other Candidates.

She should be Honored and respected.

June 8, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. Jake

Why does McCain seem to be the 'fallback' for anyone who does not get what they want?

It seems as if Hillary and Obama supporters will go to any extremes to get what they want. However, if they don't... they'll kick and scream and act like petty high schoolers! Sure, it is understandable to be upset, but to go to the extreme of voting against the candidate you support... that is just silly. I respect both Hillary and Obama in what they have done.

You can either take the high road or the low road. Do not forfeit your values and beliefs to vote against everything you have build your feelings in.

June 8, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  3. California independent voter

I think that those who say they will vote for McCain will eventually change their minds and vote for Obama – they know well that this country cannot afford 4 more years under republican leadership. It is just like the ultra conservatives threatening to not vote for McCain unless he picks a conservative VP: give me a break, those folks will eventually vote for McCain because they will not want to see someone like Obama in the White House – it is just talk, in the end, people will do what is right: democrats will vote for Obama just like republicans (super conservatives) will vote for McCain.

June 8, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. That knife cuts both ways.

Michelle Obama said she would NOT vote for Hillay Clinton, in a taped interview.

I have the same option.

Obama followers don't even try the reverse psychology of loyalty to party and Country. THAT knife cuts BOTH ways.

I am protesting the WAY Hillary was thrashed and forced out of the race. Not the fact that she lost.

The DEMS lost my vote for the first time in my ADULT lifetime- because I am ashamed of the hateful tactics deployed to trounce HRC

June 8, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. Carol

If the press insist on placing Mrs. Clinton in a bad light then they also can look forward to saying Mr. President to McCain. Enough.

June 8, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. Sara

My husband and I are"Hillary Democrats" that strongly believe Obama is not ready to be President of the US. He hasn't any track record of standing up and fighting for what he truly believes in other than speaking out against the war. Nor does he have any record of crossing the aisle to work with Republicans. He has done nothing but play it safe. He hasn't gotten his hands dirty, he is nothing but a good orator. Hillary Clinton and John McCain are both known for working hard, for standing up for what they believe in, popular or not, and for crossing the aisle to get things done. The Democratic party has made
    a huge mistake! The country is not a left leaning country, it is center to right leaning. There is no way Obama will be elected in November.

June 8, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. Drew, OR

Good luck, she trashed him for 6 months.

I don't think she is trustworthy and I didn't like her speech. The only time she smiled was when she was talking about herself. When she talked about Barack she looked as if she were eating laundry detergent.

Don't believe this woman for one minute and now that Barack is winnig she's going to try to hitch her losing star to his wagon.

June 8, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. Turnabout is Fair Play

"Clinton's Web site now urges visitors to "support Senator Obama today."

It may be that it takes some time to change the header of a website but I noticed on Hillary's website, it still shows "Hillary for president" at the top. It also still shows a big red "contribute" button for her campaign. Is this for her supporters to pay off her debt? I'm just confused.

I agree with the political analyst, It's not just Obama that has to reach out to her supporters, Hillary herself has to meet him halfway and tell her supporters to get over their anger and stop McWalkingcane and the Repugnican smear machine in their tracks come November.

Obama/Sebelius '08

June 8, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. Go home Obama

Like Michelle Obama, I will have to think about voting for the OTHER candidate of the party.

The pummeling of HRC and the hateful disrespect shown to her by the Obama camp- including Michelle Obama- has turned me away from the DEMS.

Return to the idealogy of freedom and justice for ALL. Return to fair play. Return to respect.

Then I will return to the party.

I will never vote for a candidate that stirred his followers into such a frenzy of hate and vulgar attacks against fellow democrats.

June 8, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Clinton 4 Obama

I have utmost respect for Hillary and the campaign she's run. I will definitely follow her lead in supporting Obama. I know that he welcomes her supprt wholeheartedly, and I'm certain that she will play a huge role on Obama's team once he's in office.

It's really been refreshing seeing Hillary and Barack on one accord these past few days. It returns my state of mind to January when I remembered saying to myself "I would be extremely happy with ANY of these three candidates as president [Obama, Clinton OR Edwards]"

*opens wallet and goes to Obama's site to contribute*

June 8, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. independent and proud to be

the only thing i would like to say is how can feminist and all hillary's clinton supporters chose to get behind someone who laugh about a disrespectful comment about their candidate. remember when this McCain supporter ask how they gonna do to beat the B-word. don't vote at all or back your party, if you are a true democrat i think you all[clinton supporters] know what to do.

June 8, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. Bill

Don't worry, she'll be back, exspecially after Americans get tired of paying $10 and $15 a gallon for gasoline because of the Democrat "treehuggers" that's controlling America's energy policy. Plus Americans will have less money to use to pay for that $10 and $15 a gallon gasoline because of the increase in taxes us "wealthy" Americans will start paying with a Democratic Congress and President!

June 8, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. AK

Get her on the ticket to see some of them to vote for Obama. Or else history may remain history.

June 8, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. The O

I really don't care what she does next she lost. and if her people want to go vote for mccain then go do it I don't want to hear about it. You are the same people who would never vote for Obama anyways your not fooling anyone. so go do what you need to do....

BARACK / SEBELIUS 08

BARACK THE VOTE!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. Clifford

Democrats vote for Democrats, Independants vote thier choice, those who vote based on race, cultre or creed always have and always will,
    so what?

June 8, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  16. Hillary!!!

As a Hillary supporter I have taken her word for most things and this will be the same as well. I think she would have been the better president but not voting for obama goes against everything Hillary stands for.

I just really hope he picks her as VP-she would be the best VP pick for him

June 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Rick, MS

The DNC stinks because of what Hillary did, so if she has to clean up her mess, than so be it.

She's pathetic.

I will not help to pay off the debt that SHE made because she was too stubborn to get out of the race. Let her supporters pay, who I might add don't have the millions that she has. She is exploiting them, like she would exploit the American people if she could. Her supporters are crazy to support Hillary and her lies.

June 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Hillary supporter from Texas

McCain 08.......Hillary 12

Im sorry Hillary you should of been the nominee. You had the popular vote, you were the strongest candidate against McCain, and you won the key states to win in the general election. I think its going to be similar to what happend back when african americans got the right to vote and women didn't until 1920. I think its similar now, let the black man be president. And the women can wait later..............i dont think so.

June 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. True

As an Obama supporter, who TRULY loved BOTH our candidates, I am appalled by the way HRC has been treated.

I am saddened and hurt by the hatred, reverse-discrimination, filth and contempt that has permeated the now UNdemocratic party.

This is the Change? These are the new people that Obama drew in?

Well I can't buy into that hypocritical message of unity by division any longer.

My heart is now with HRC. She was treated very unfairly by her party.

June 8, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  20. davis

CNN, please stop these divisive comments. Democrats are about to unite. However, I was reading bloggs from Hillary Clinton's website. Unfortunately, what I was reading was really really bad. I don't think those are hillary supporters at all. They are McCain's supporter's acting as angry hillary supporters. I am 100% sure true hillary supporters don't write that kind of staffs.It's very sad. If they are hillary supporters though, they are really disrespecting her (their candidate) and showing her weakness to unite.I hope they dont represent her at all. HIllary is all above that.

Davis from california

June 8, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Christina

I'm proud of you Hillary!

OBAMA '08!!!

June 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Alexis

Let the UNITY begin!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all need each other to help turn the page and reclaim our reputation in the world. THIS IS OUR MOMENT!!!!!!!! Thanks for your support in advance. God Bless

June 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Nevada Mom

Maybe some of her "supporters" are those folks who switched over from the Republican party at the request of activist Rush Limbaugh.
    Could account for some of the lunacy about supporting McCain if she isn't the one. Does that same poll ask if her supporters would have supported her in the general? Maybe they were planning to vote for McCain all along.
    No matter. McCain doesn't have a chance in November. He's just so incredibly out of touch with what the people of this country want.
    Get him another beer, Cindy.

June 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  24. Bill from Cleveland, ohio

I'm one of the 17% that will be voting for McCain and I have been a democratic for 40 years.

I don't trust Obama and how can you imagine Michelle Obama as
    First Lady in the White House and having people play back her
    speech of how she has never been proud of this country.

Obama has alot of people fooled with his "Yes We Can" speeches,
    he is a racist, a liar and treated Hillary like she was dirt under his feet.

The Clinton's have done more this country that Obama could ever
    do in a lifetime.

If I were Sen. Clinton I would tell Obama to go to H, and never support
    him or help him in his campaign.

Obama is going to loose in November and we have lost our chance again.

As an American citizen I have the right ot vote for who ever I believe
    in, and the Obama supporters can say what ever they want that we
    are pulling the party apart, but Obama did that, not us.

June 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  25. Beatriz Perez-Sanchez

It is unlikely that Mrs. Clinton will be able to deliver those voters whose support she received during the campaign with her not so subtle appeal to racial prejudice. As sincere as Hillary may try to appear now, it will difficult, if not impossible, for her to undo the damage that she has already inflicted on the party and Senator Obama. Neither African-Americans nor white racists are likely to forget Mrs. Clinton's suggestion that Barack Obama cannot win the support of 'hard-working Americans, white Americans'. For African-Americans, her statement was an enormous slap in the face. To white racists, it only served to vindicate their prejudice. She may have put on a happy face yesterday in her endorsement of her rival, but Mrs. Clinton knows well that she also sowed the seeds of Obama's defeat in November. Just like her crocodile tears in New Hampshire, yesterday's performance should also be taken with more than a grain of salt.

June 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |