June 8th, 2008

Clinton's new job: Persuading diehard fans to back Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign on Saturday."]

(CNN) - With Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign officially over, she is focusing on making sure her supporters back Sen. Barack Obama's bid.

Throughout the primary season, Clinton and Obama expressed confidence the Democrats would unify once a nominee emerged.

As Clinton closed her campaign Saturday, she urged the cheering crowd of thousands to support Obama in his run for the White House, saying she and supporters should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Her endorsement was met with a scattering of boos and thumbs downs from the crowd at the National Building Museum in Washington.

In a CNN poll released Friday, 60 percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for McCain and 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the nominee.

Full story

1. Loretta from California

If Senator Clinton can reunite this party, she deserves, and should have any position she wants.

June 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. No change after all

A Black man is no change over WHITE men.

Color means nothing to me- I am in a inter racial marriage, I live in a state where caucacians are a minority (NM) and I lived and worked on the Dine Rez for 20 years.

Fixed elections, trashing the opposition, hatred of fellow democrats, foul, filthy, vulgar contempt for fellow democrats, cheating and strong-arming, reverse-racism....THAT does mean something to me.

Dems...purge the hate and return to integrity and the ideology of freedom and justice for all.

Then I will go back to voting for you. I am ashamed of the neoDEMS. After 35 years, I walk away from the party I once loved.

Hillary- YOU will always get my vote. I promise that. God bless you. God don't like ugly and he sure does know the manipulative foul tactics of hate that were used to secure Obama his "win".

June 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. JOHN

WE'LL TAKE 60% BUT WE WANT 100% THANK YOU SENATOR FOR YOUR SUPPORT. OBAMA/CLINTON 08

June 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. mgoody

I know she will do everything she can to unite the party, but the fact is Obama has to connect with them. Its his job to bring them in. I feel so bad for her. First she has lost the primary and then its on her to bring her voters to him. Hillary is so strong. I think it will be years before there is another woman who will run for president because you have to be so strong and yet connect with the common person. She was able to connect with 18 million voters. I hope Obama puts her on the ticket. I wanted her to win so badly that It will be hard to vote for him. The only reason I will is for the troops and for universal health care.

June 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  5. Shannon Shiflett

So what's wrong with 40% of Clinton supporters? Are they not really Democrats? Do they not care about the future of the country? Are they willing to give Bush a third term? Are they not true progressives? Something is emotionally distorted with these people... They don't seem to understand democracy at all.

June 8, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. Ron L

Yesterdays speech was EXCELLENT and I know it was tough on her. It was an example of the Hillary I THOUGHT would be a very good if not Great President. Unfortunately, due to her campaign mistakes and the need to go into FULL FRONTAL POLITICIAN MODE, I loss respect for her and in turn switched my support.
    In regards to the women who say the will NEVER vote for Obama, they need to FULLY REALIZE that once the election is over and IF McCain wins they have not only screwed Hillary, they have screwed themselves.
    In short...DON'T DO SOMETHING SUPER STUPID BECAUSE YOUR CANDIDATE LOSS!!
    The POLICY differences between Barack and Hillary are so-o-o-o-o-o small it is just plain DUMB not to vote for him now that he won the primary.

June 8, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Foreign Observer

Clinton for Secretary of State! plenty of 3 am phone calls to enter, a far more meaningful position than VP, and the right woman for the job.

June 8, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. NOBAMA

NEVER....

I love YOU Hillary but I cannot support obama.

I'm voting for mccain.

Obama is too inexperienced and the democratic party did themselves a disservice when they selected him over you.

i will not get over it.

June 8, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. George

Clinton was quite skillful at dividing and conquering along ethnic, racial and gender lines, now let's see how good she is at bridging the divide she created. The only difference between Clinton and Obama is race, gender and character, so those are the issues that her fans have to look beyond. Good luck!!

June 8, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. DJ, Los Angeles

Why such fanaticism? Are these the lunatic fringe left-wing? Since Clinton and Obama have such similar views/policies it's hard to believe these fanatics have such a gripe against Obama.

June 8, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Scoreboard

This isn't going to be an easy job for Hillary; after all, she was the one that villified him in front of her supporters and she's not going to use the same fervor to try and change their minds. It might also be that she says she'll champion for Obama but do so very half-heartedly in the hopes of a 2012 run.

What happened to this woman? I used to have so much respect for her...

June 8, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. CATHY

I will never vote for Obama.I'm writting her name in in November and if there is no RESPECT FROM OBAMA AND HIS CULT towards HILLARY then I' voting for MCCAIN.Thank you HILLARY for everything that you have done for AMERICA.May GOD bless you and your family and keep you safe always.

June 8, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. Country first party second

There is not way that I would support Obama, no way.

Sorry Hillary. I do wish the democratic party would quit sending me emails and asking me to donate, I have emailed them twice to take my name of their democratic mailing list because I am changing my party.

Also why does CNN keep putting these same stories on the headlines, just changing the headline a little but the story is the same. I think they are trying to still cause problems or they just love the trouble these headlines start because idiots like me keep reading these.

June 8, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  14. Moke

Ho Braddah!
    Dats mo hard den running one campaign!

June 8, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  15. Anna, PA

No way Jose. I am voting for McCain. I cant wait for America's darling to lose in Nov.

Anna
    Independent
    Pittsburgh, PA

June 8, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  16. Joyce in Florida

Hillary Clinton gave a fantastic speech. As usual, she was gracious as ever. It will take me awhile to think about support of Obama. Wounds are still too fresh from the disrespect she received during her whole campaign. If Senator Obama is smart (which he seems to portray but I am not convinced), he should make Senator Clinton his V.P. If he does that, then I will vote for him in November. If not, I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. Still pondering. I will take my time and see what Obama does in the next few days. Until then, I remain a steadfast Hillary Clinton supporter all the way to the convention. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. Still for Hill but now ONLY for Hill

Hate and force and contempt and vulgarity and cheating to install a Male candidate- is THAT the change and unity you offer.

Sorry, I mixed race and your racist labels don't scare me.

Your attacks on HRC and fellow democrats just to win... THAT scares me.

By your hate have you lost my vote.

Rise, Hillary, Rise.

I hold you in my heart with the greates respect for what you endured from your party, the DNC, the so-called Obama supporters.

June 8, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. Stacy

As an Obama supporter, I would like to thank Hillary for her endorsement of Barack Obama. I have confidence that democrats will rally around him, because there are huge differences between he and McCain. We can not let fear or anger get in the way of making a smart choice come November.
    The choice is clear Senator Obama will be the one to fight for the issues most important to us.... and it makes me so happy to know he will have the support from Senator Clinton and many of her supporters who are fighting to do what is right.
    Unity is a good and powerful thing ; )

June 8, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  19. Eric in Ca

As Hillary stated Saturday... "the stakes are too high" We must united a vote for McCain is truly a step backwards!
    Forget about women's rights, economy, health care, continuation of war and the continued threat of more war, energy, environment, education, jobs, and most importantly... inspiration of a new generation of electorate!

Surely, McCain and company will continue the Bush administrations policies!

June 8, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  20. Not enuff

Losing ONE election is NOT a big enough price to pay for having thrown the ideals of Freedom, democracy, equality and fa ir play away... JUST to secure the nomination for Obama.

Dems are in denial if they think we lifelongs will buy into that injustice and fall in line behind Obama.

If we wanted that... we'd be republicans.

This election I will take 4 more years of R- rather than tacidly approve the evil downfall of my own party. I'm doing fine- won't hurt ME at all.

June 8, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. Katherine

Back to being a cheerleader and standin' by her man.

June 8, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. Reese from NC

Give her supporters a little time. If she had gotten the nomination I would probably feel the same way some of them do right now. When it was still uncertain I heard people say they would not vote before voting for Hillary, but I knew that was more emotion than anything else. I always looked at it from the Decrocrat vs Republican point of view not my candidate vs the Republican. I allowed myself to get personally attached to Obama and that hurts your ability to be unbiased, but I knew by November my personal anger would not help this country move in a better direction so I would have voted for Hillary had she been the nominee. It is hard to let go of something you felt was yours, but Hillary supportors must realize that because Obama and Hillary are 95% the same on policy everything she fought for will also be fought for by Obama. Lastly, Hillary supporters just listen to Obama speak without all the anger and you will see he is working for big things in this country, in this world, and in YOU.

June 8, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. goawaymongers

I have seen the complete adoration for HRC from her supporters. It is the same with we Obamabots (as they call us).
    Her speech yesterday pretty much told the story. The country can NOT afford another republican administration. It's time to realize that the high calling and main goal isn't about a personality...it's about rescuing our country and taking it back.
    We need to give her supporters the time and space to heal- and above all, be like Barack-a GRACIOUS winner. Being a sore loser is no worse than an ungracious winner.

June 8, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  24. mollygonz

Hillary supporters need time to heal. I know if Barack was not the nominee, I would've felt the same way. Disappointed. What will happen though, I think, is that they will see the striking difference between Obama and McCain and rethink their vote. It's not just about the nominee, it's about the party and I think, in time, it will come together. No more animosity. That only makes it worse. There are 60 percent who say they will back him. I think that number will only increase in time. I love the Hillary supporters they interview on t.v. that say they will now back Obama with no hesitation. Those are the people who care about our troops and the people of our country. Not just themselves. If that were the case, they would vote McCain.

June 8, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Dr. Joseph Akomodi

As an Obama supporter, I seriouly urge Senator Barack Obama to intensively consider Senator Hillary Clinton as the Vice President. I am not saying he is not going to win the election without Hillary. We do not want what happened in 2000 and 2004 to repeat itself. He may win the election and the Republican may ring the election. They are well known in doing so. With Hillary on the tickect, Republican will find it difficult to ring the election when they are defeated by a wide margin. The closer the gap of the electoral college counts, the easier it is for the Republican to ring the election. For those who are actually bitter that Hillary did not win the party's nominee may easily consider voting for Obama because Hillary is on the ticket. Whatever the bagage Hillary may bring to the campaign is much lesser than Republican bagages.

Therefore, Senator Obama ensure you give a careful analysis so that whatever descision you make is what is going to unite the entire democratic party, rebublican and independent as well. God bless you in all your endeavor to ensure that American is back on its feet again.

June 8, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |