June 8th, 2008

Clinton's new job: Persuading diehard fans to back Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign on Saturday."]

(CNN) - With Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign officially over, she is focusing on making sure her supporters back Sen. Barack Obama's bid.

Throughout the primary season, Clinton and Obama expressed confidence the Democrats would unify once a nominee emerged.

As Clinton closed her campaign Saturday, she urged the cheering crowd of thousands to support Obama in his run for the White House, saying she and supporters should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Her endorsement was met with a scattering of boos and thumbs downs from the crowd at the National Building Museum in Washington.

In a CNN poll released Friday, 60 percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for McCain and 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the nominee.

Full story

1. enuff filth for a lifetime

In this primary, democracy died,

Lady liberty or death.

I can not and WILL not encourage the same manipulative tactics of reverse-racism, trashing the "HO", and filthy comments about fellow democrats.

That was Obama's path to change and unity. I do not want to be one of his supporters. Why does HE attract and encourage such vitriolic hatred. Why does he inspire such vular filthy from all his followers?

June 8, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. I am loyal

Trash me, disrepect me, rape me. I will be loyal to you.

We are all family.

Why would I enable such disrespectful tactics with my vote.

Hillary I love you. You are already the winner. You are the best leader.

June 8, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  3. Sharon Minnesota

Not going to happen for me. I've been thankfully over the Barack Obama/Hillary Clinton obsession for a long while now and on to a new candidate in John McCain. I would love to see the media (especially CNN) get over the abnormal repetitive brain wave reporting too. The bad habit of beating a subject to death has gone to the outer limits regarding Obama/Clinton. It's time to get on with the McCain / Obama race.

June 8, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  4. Karen

I do not want old experience in Washington!!!! I want someone who is new, young and willing to change his mind. I'm 64 and the republicans(of whom I was one) have sooooo messed up our country that it will take good, young, new quality judgement. After Hillary's speech, she would bring that mark of "experience" to the campaign, but she thinks like Obama. I wasn't to keen on the idea of her as VP. Guess what? I have an American right to change my mind and I do believe now they would be the "dream team". I scared for my grandchildren if McCain gets in. He's still fighting the VietNam War!!!! Obama/Clinton 08!!!!!

June 8, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  5. SA in OO

Unfortunately she created this monster, and now it will be hard to tame it. As she entered the last series of primaries, everyone knew the math. Her only chance of having the numbers go her way was to get most of the Florida votes and all the Michigan votes to count for her, to get nearly all the uncommitted super-delegates to support her and to get many of those already committed to Obama to switch to her.

Any politically savy person should havw looked at this scenario and understood that for this strategy to win would be tantamount to having the party establishment surreptitiously take the nomination away from the first black candidate to mount a serious campaign for the presidency. But she couldn't give up her dream. Rather than face reality, she chose to build the hopes of her supporter for a dream that was not realistic. She built a false hope and now these people believe the lie she told them. They weren’t smart enough to understand that Hillary’s plan was in effect an end run around the rules, or maybe they just didn’t care. They now feel she was the one from whom the election was stolen.

BUT THE BIGGEST REASON that it will be hard for Hillary to convince her followers to support Obama, is because she really doesn’t think he deserves the presidency. In her heart she still feels she deserves to be the nominee, and this isn’t going to change. It’s hard to sell something you don’t believe in yourself.

June 8, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. Sandra

I was shocked how badly and with disrespect the media treated Hillary Clinton. I admire her tenacity, her knowledge and her oratory skills. Whatever analysis the political pundits are making, there are three reasons she lost.
    • The Media and its bias and disrespect portrayed.
    • The Democratic caucus system(so mis-organized & the Obama supporters cheating)
    • Obama getting help from Karl Rove where the strategy involves G.O.P. crossover voting to take out Hillary, marketing newcomer Obama. In Time Magazine, Republican Party activists have been organized to throw their weight behind Barack Obama, the democratic rival of frontrunner Hillary Clinton. Early in Obama's campaign, major G.O.P. fundraisers and at least one indicted criminal flushed his coffers with cash – something the deep pockets haven't done for any candidate in their own party. With receipts topping $100 million in 2007, the first-term senator from Illinois did astonishingly well, considering few Americans had even heard of him before 2006. The Time magazine article goes on to explain that rank and file Republicans in red states have switched their party registrations, enabling them to vote in Democratic primaries. The G.O.P. didn't even compete in the certain primaries, and Obama picked up most of his Super Tuesday wins in red states organized specifically for this purpose. Called crossover voting, the tactic has played a crucial role in the Rove push to deprive Hillary of the Democratic nomination. The Time article went on to explain that rank and file Republicans were switching parties this spring to vote for Obama in the Democratic primaries. Though not mentioned in the piece, a group called Republicans for Obama formed in 2006 to expedite the strategy, and the Obama campaign launched its own "Be a Democrat For a Day" campaign in 2007 with a campaign video was distributed in Florida, Nevada and Vermont explains the procedure.

June 8, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. I owe my own soul

I've thought long and hard about this...

Hillary, yes.... Obama? naahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Teach the haters that we will not vote for their candidate in the end- that would be to enable and to encourage more of that same methodology in the future.

They are counting on al of us to return inspite of the filth and hate they buried HRC with.

I am voting against the hatred shown to HRC and all her supporters.

I will wait for the DEMS to mend their corrupt and divisive ways.

June 8, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. Cindy,CA

I think it is more up to Obama to try to get Hillary's supporters to vote for him.

June 8, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Democrat AGAINST Obama

The fact that Obama was playing GOLF while HIllary was announcing her endorsement shows that Obama has very little respect for HIllary or her supporters. I was having second thoughts about writing in Hillarys name in November...but this just reminds me that he is not the person i want as our next president.

We're screwed.

June 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Rebecca Camdine

It is about time! She waited 4 long days and was still pumping herself up for the nomination which she clearly lost. Instead of supporting and endorsing Senator Obama she could not believe that she lost to a Black Man. I am a White Woman and I am 56 years old and I truly did not like the ugly tactics that she, her husband and her campaign used against one of supposed to be their own and saying that Mcshame was better. My 80 year old Mom was not pleased with her either so we have been in Obama's court all the way since they played the race card and drummed up ugliness on Obama.

June 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. I owe my own soul

The Obama people can continue to hate their way into securing my vote for their man.

I will be true to my principles and values.

NO trashing the "HO", not raping the "Bi–ch", no disrepecting our candidates. No sabotage of hate. No swifboating our own. No fixing it for the other candidate.

I'll be back when you are my party of freedom and equality and justice for ALL-

June 8, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. KATHY

They all need to distance themselves from Bill Clinton – including Hillary. Maybe now is the time for divorce. He sabotaged her run almost from the start. I think the man is getting senile. He destroyed her almost single handedly. He wanted to be the only President Clinton in history and did everything he could to stop her. His comments were precise, they were calculated. If he's as intelligent as every one keeps saying he is – he knew exactly what he was doing. it was all a big joke to him. Hopefully his speaking engagements and fees will drop off. It is mind-boggling that people would pay his speaking fees. The man is full of it, can't believe a word he says and they pay to listen to him. Good Lord people, where's your common sense.

I never wanted Hillary for president, but she definitely has my sympathy. Obama has done so wonderfully on his own, that he doesn't need them nipping at his heels in a co-vice-presidency. Bill is out of control and Barack doesn't need him. Please, Please, no Obama/Clinton ticket.

June 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. Megan

I'm one of Hillary supporters. I'll not vote for Obama whatever Hillary will say about him and whatever Hillary will do to promote him. I know Hillary is forced to endorse him and it's the national grace that she has to do so!!!

The democratic party is the most corrupt party which I have finally realized through this race. This nomination was stolen from Hillary. They not only disenfranchised the voters in Florida and Michigan, but also forced superdelegates to support Obama to put him on top. This party deserves to lose in the fall. The whole nominating delegate system is flawed and the caucuses system is so undemocratic.

Hillary supporters, please take your actions seriously if you are thinking about voting for Obama. Please vote for your conscience, not for the party. Obama cannot fulfill his words. He just picks whatever people like to hear so that he can get elected. He's proven himself to be a typical hypocrit and flip-flop on day one.

June 8, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. Raymond Duke

I don't think hillary will be all that enthused to get all the people to support Obama. I know I wouldn't if I had been treated like her. She has just been gang raped by the democrat leadership of the party , the media especially cnn and msnbc and the Obama camp playing the reversed race card. I am an indepedent and would had voted for her but I will not vote for Obama. She can put on the front with a good face and play the game even if she knew she was screwed over but as a voter I don't have to plat no games. She cannot get us to vote for Obama no matter if she is on the ticket and no matter how much she ask it of us.. You see I identify with all them blue collar whites who were called uneducated racist so why do I want to reward aparty such as the new democrat party with my vote. I'll vote for the party that at least will apprciate my vote and not call me names.

June 8, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. bk

We will not back Obama. All rhetoric and no experience. The DNC and the super delegates chose to put the weakest candidate out there. Let them figure out how they are going to get him elected.

June 8, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. truth

truth be told... the Obama supporters have cost him many votes.

But he doesn't need us old folks, us women, us racist rednecks, us morons, us poor – us TRUE democrats.

Good luck with your ideology of unity by division, change by force and corruption.

The only democrat I will vote for for the second HALF of my life is HRC.
    I apparently wasted the first half of my life believing that democrats were not hateful, bigots but people who loved all people and worked for the benefit of all.

June 8, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

why is cnn continuing to enable this sort of division??
    the voters who are angry and very bitter are about 5 thousand......

so please cnn, stop it...........
    while you want to continue with the focus and spot light on your queeen
    it is enough.

we have a big presidential race ahead, with two candidates now fighting to be our next president

just let it goo
    let it go of your billary queen an d king..

you have done nothing in the aspect of reporting on Obama..........not a thing..
    yet u continue to focus on booba, his affairs, the lost game of billary, blah blah blah, they already have plenty of money and contracts, and books to write, and they get money via their foundations, let them do that ... that is all they care and know about, $$$$$

clinton national news.. stop it.

June 8, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. william

After seeing the continued nasty comments from the obama followers i can only say we are still no closer to unity than before. As the saying goes you can lead the cows to water but you cant make them drink. She will do her job and talk up this fake and ask us to vote but once we get into that booth to vote we will be marking the box with McCain. Also Polosi relize this you have pissed off a lot of us Hillary supporter and Cindy is looking like a good replacement for you.

June 8, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  19. Roger

I guess we should give Obama a pillow to sit on while Hillary campaigns for him.

That's not her job. She made her speech just like John Edwards made his. She can go sit at her home and watch the soaps now.

June 8, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. Nita

I have to post a comment that I copied and sent to all my friends and family who support Ms. Hillary Clinton. It probably best descirbed how me and my siblings feel about all this.

1162.June 8th,
    2008
    11:17 am I debated whether or not to post my intense emotional recations following Hillary Clinton’s exit speech. But then it occurred to me that others might be interested to know that my feelings of frustration, feelings of pain, fellings of anger, and betrayal by the Democratic Party were expressed over and over and over again by many Hillary supporters at her website following her concession speech. If these posts are indicative of how the majority of Hillary Clinton’s 18,000,000 voters feel, all h–l will break out in the November elections!

Personally, I will not vote for John McCain. Enough of McCain’s views are diametrically opposed to what Hillary Clinton has fought so hard for throughout her political career. And, ultimately against my own beliefs. I will, however, write in Hillary Clinton’s name for President. That is unless Hillary Clinton’s name is already on the Democratic ticket as Vice President next to Mr. Obama’s name. My comments:

HILLARY: OUR JOAN-OF-ARC
    You are our Joan-of-Arc, our champion, Hillary.
    You have been betrayed by a weak Democrat National Committee Chair Howard Dean, and by his royal court the Democrat hierarchy and the press core. You have ultimately been sold away to Senator Barrack Obama, who only has been able to pull you down and defeat you, through Dean’s betrayal and continued American news bashing.
    We the loyal 18,000,000 will never stop fighting for your vindication, for a restoration of your power until you are rightfully elected to the Presidency of the United States! We will never betray you.
    Carpe Diem, Hillary,
    Our Dearest Champion!

— Posted by Elaine E

Hillary Clinton can ask us to support Obama but we will not. I think I will join Elaine.

June 8, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. no unity now

You trashed and raped our leader. You forced us to watch.

Now you want her rag tag army to unite behind the people responsible for the hateful disrespect?

You killed the warrior.

We will kill the election of change.

Actions DO have consequences. Teach your children that.

June 8, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  22. jorge arturo midence

miter :obama,
    by ma ones the bi en you size,thes decion,no signific,ba mister
    macclay no have ma respet,hay wan intruduccion,by ones becose
    hay promes two usa. have to by ones,if may contry now usa.dasay
    the estay by en you size,if may ones to servy thes contry.
    thanks two give chance to by why yo.

June 8, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  23. Steve

No matter what fake bloggers go and comment here, we cannot have a non accountable 8 years as we have had.

All you Rush and Hannity bloggers, you don't even hold your own party accountable for a complete failure in Iraq, Katrina, Terry Schiavo, gas prices, Harriet Myers, Dubai Ports, and failing schools. You stand there like a robot waiting to be spoonfed marching orders from the head RNC puppeteers. McCain's Vp will also be tied to the mess above.

Its time we elected Barrack Obama and move this country forward.
    -former Hillary supporter and now fully behind Barrack Obama

June 8, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  24. Steve

The people who are saying that Hillary didn't mean it when she supported Obama are indulging in blatant self-deception in order to justify voting based on hurt feelings instead of rational thinking.

She laid it out for you, folks. If you care about her issues, you'll vote for Obama. No whining, no excuses. If you choose to vote for McCain out of sour grapes, you are effectively spitting in her face. It's really that simple.

Of course, most of the people posting as anti-Obama Hillary supporters here are actually Operation Chaos flunkies. But to any REAL Hillary supporters threatening to vote McCain, I say: please don't betray the candidate you profess to respect.

Countless dead in Iraq. A tanking economy. Roe vs. Wade on the line. It's time for the Republicans to go.

June 8, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. Obama?

Obama? Wasn't he the guy that brushed Hillary Clinton and her supporters off his shoulder.

He does NOT need us now.

Try some respect for your opponent and her supporters next time around. Try fair play next time.

Drop the reverse- racism next time.

June 8, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |