June 8th, 2008

Clinton's new job: Persuading diehard fans to back Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign on Saturday."]

(CNN) - With Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign officially over, she is focusing on making sure her supporters back Sen. Barack Obama's bid.

Throughout the primary season, Clinton and Obama expressed confidence the Democrats would unify once a nominee emerged.

As Clinton closed her campaign Saturday, she urged the cheering crowd of thousands to support Obama in his run for the White House, saying she and supporters should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Her endorsement was met with a scattering of boos and thumbs downs from the crowd at the National Building Museum in Washington.

In a CNN poll released Friday, 60 percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for McCain and 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the nominee.

Full story

1. Swannie

WHY SHOULD WE ?? why should anyone ?? When the wanna be first wife said this?? "
    When asked in February whether she would support Hillary if she were to beat Mr Obama to the nomination, Michele replied: "I'd have to think about that. I'd have to think about that, her policies, her approach, her tone."
    NOW there is some party loyalty for you Well I might just think all the way to November and vote for MCCAIN insted of the demographic party selection cadidate
    Thanks for asking

June 8, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. Connie

For the 60% that will vote for Obama welcome to the unity of the democrat party. For the 17% that will vote for McCain remember this.

We have just as many REPUBLICANS. who say they will vote for Obama. Just something to think about for you CLINTON SUPPORTES who won’t support OBAMA.

It sounds like an EVEN TRADE OFF TO ME, except the cross over REPUBLICANS is getting the better part of the deal. Just my 2 cents.

You are going to look real funny with your nose cut off.

For the 22% who will not vote at all. You still have a chance to make a difference by voting for Obama. We can not afford another 4 – 8 years of the Bush policy. If not for yourself make the chose for our children future. If you can not embrace the black half of Obama, then embrace the White half.

Now is the time to SHANK HANDS, KISS and make up to get ahead of the game.

Obama 08!

June 8, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. cynthia

I am a Hillary supporter and will always be, but I will give my support to Obama because my son has done 3 tours to Iraq and he has a little baby that will arrive next year. I want him to be able to be around for his child,and experience fatherhood.
    This war has done some unspeakable things to his mind ,and it scares me so much. So if Obama can bring our troops home he has my full support and John Mccain will NEVER get my vote especailly since he wants us to stay there. I am a woman ,a mother and wife first,and will always a faithful democrat.
    I speak for me,and I know that for a man who has declared getting conservative judges on the bench, and overturning women's rights is deplorable. To keep this war going, and making stupid comments of Bombing Iran. Who doesn't have a clue on the economy,and will not give us some kind of universal health care.
    I cannot in good conscious just because Hillary didn't get the nomination give my vote to Mccain. I would be betraying everything that I stand for.So Hillary doesn't have to persuade me much because I already know what I Have and Need to do.

June 8, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. to win the world and lose your soul

I am from the wild west.

I stand with Annie Oakley and against he who gleefully- and very unpresidentially- mocked and jeered her. Is that what the democratic party has devolved into? Hate, corruption, cheating, contempt and injustice?

I am STILL for HILL: Me... I earn more than $115K, I have TWO college degrees. I have health insurance, I would never get an abortion anyway, I can't be drafted now, I own 2 homes outright. I never needed the Dummicrats. THEY needed me.

Now I am gone for ever more.

To my own self....

June 8, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. Obama 08: Female, 60, white

It is really time to get past this disappointment and veiled threats if Clinton supporters really want to support Clinton's wishes and desires for the country.

She made an amazing speech yesterday and made a clear case that she was ready to work for all of the policies she campaigned so hard for. To lessen the chances of a Democratic win will be a sad result of her effort in this campaign.

I suggest you take some time and then look at the policies you will be promoting with a McCain presidency.

June 8, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  6. lose your soul for the party line

Each vote for McCain from a HRC supporter is a nail in the coffin of HE who inspired so much hate in a once unified party.

You do not sanction such terrible behavior from your party. You do not say it is okay to eliminate your competition to secure a win.

You do not disrespect and hate felloe democrats... and figure that in the end it won't matter- they will vote DEM anyway.

Sorry, integrity, truth, freedom and justice are at stake her.

June 8, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Mike

I am unable to embrace Obama, I am a STRONG Clinton supporter.

I respect Senator Clinton and her call to unite; I will not vote McCain, however I will have to sit this election out.

Regardless as to how similiar Senator Clinton and Senator Obamas views are, I find him to be smug and arrogant.

Michelle Obama is not the example of what I would define as "First Lady," sorry I just can't picture this duo in the White House.

June 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. Ashlee from Virginia

I can grasp the fact that some Clinton supporters will write her name in in Nov, but I simply cannot understand how they can vote for McCain. I'd just like to address some of the crazy notions they have been giving:

1.) Clinton was somehow cheated out of the nomination- First of all, every candidate KNEW and AGREED to the rules before the primaries even started. There is NO WAY you can say that they didn't. If you don't believe it look at the agreement they all signed. If ANYONE was cheated it was Barack who got the rules changed on him at the end of the game with MI and FL being counted AT ALL. And don't even tell me he shouldn't have gottten any delegates from MI, do you honestly think no one would have voted for him there??? Let's be serious

2.) The media and DNC were sexist and against Clinton so that's why she lost- So it's okay for you to say that Clinton faced sexism, but you say Barack is using the "race card" whenever race is bought up? You can't have it both ways. And as far as him not having media problems did you happen to miss the constant replay of Rev. Wright and MIchelle's comments for WEEKS??? And the media didn't give him a chance in the beginning they all but crowned Hillary the nominee before Iowa.

3.) Hillary won the popular vote- GiVE ME A BREAK!!! The ONLY senario where Hillary wins the popular vote is: 1. You only count primaries (don't mind the disenfranchised caucus voters) 2. MI and FL counts (but Barack receives no MI votes because he somehow didn't have anyone in MI vote for him) ...u cant be serious with this math. And for you people who keep saying he can't win without the 18+ million that voted for Hillary.....welll news flash...Barack also has 18+ million supporters, and did you just see the latest polls??? 60% of those 18+ million will support him as well....and that percentage will only increase.

4.) You'd rather vote for experience- Since when does so called "experience" mean you'd be successful running the country? Exactly how many years in Washington qualifies as being "experienced"... I mean the last 8 years should show how much "experience" counts for absolutely NOTHING. I think John McCain has so much experience it might be messing with his judgement already..seeing as how he can't distinguish between Iran and Iraq. And he's most definately not experienced in the economy which he admits he knows NOTHING about. Seeing as that our economy is issue #1 right now, that doesn't really seem to help us too much. I'm happy Obama hasn't been in Washington so long, at least we'll be getting a new perspective something besides the usual Washington politics. No matter how much so called "experience" he doesn't have, it can't be any worse than what the "experienced" politicians we've had previously have done to our country.

June 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. Travis Johns

Not gonna happen- I've donated money to her campaign, made calls, and tried to help her as much as possible. I will NOT help her elect Obama.
    McCain 08

June 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. or the good of the party line

See? Obama IS a uniter.

He united half of the DEMs against him.

It was the vile vulgar filthy attacks on fellow democrats that delivered his message of hope and change to us.

I hope against such change.

June 8, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Megan,

Just dream on! Obama will win in november and lead your
    country into the future like you never seen before.
    You cant stay behind because you are a part of that future.
    But you dont deserve such a president at all!

Europe for Barack Obama

With love from the Netherlands

June 8, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. Concerned Citizen for America

Well, it's been a hard fought contest and it would be a shame to let all the excitement of the Dem race be for naught. While 18 million Hillary supporters have a vote coming in Nov, my job isn't to convince them who to vote for. They want more of the same, more power to em. I blame the media and the Rush Limbaugh operation Chaos for making this historic race a joke. It's disgusting when our country is in such bad shape, that this kind of nonsense goes on and the end result may be more of the same. The posts on these political blogs are very telling of the ugliness and bitterness that exists in this country regardless of region, age, gender, race, etc... I want my vote to be meaningful and whether or not I voted for Hillary or Obama, I feel the Democratic platform is the only way to move forward. The Republicans have had the majority for 12 of the last 13 yrs and they have squandered away our hopes and dreams and are now dividing us with silly games. I'm not letting them win over my vote.

June 8, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. Shame

LOVE you Hillary.

Shame on the party and Obama and his supporters for the abuse they heaped, for the trashed they talked, for the hate they inspired, for the attacks they indulged in.

No vote for Obama.

I'm stubborn... don't try to guilt trip me into voting for the party.

The party needs to grow some virtue and integrity. Till then, I am gone.

Only Hillary will EVER get a vote from me for the democrats for the last years of my adult life.

June 8, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. Thank You

To those reading this blog:

Please do your homework before reading the posts from the supposed "Clinton followers" above. Pleaes, go to Google and type in Obama or Clinton and you will find stories like the one from the Texas Democratic Convention where Obama and Clinton supporters joined hand-in-hand to chant "Yes We Can" and "Yes We Will." I also encourage you to visit the Obama Web site to see Clinton and Obama supporters posting positive comments, together. The "Clinton followers" above are either repugs trying to keep the divisiveness alive or really are Clinton followers who do NOT represent the spirit of Clinton's campaign. Why do I post this comment...because I am one of those Clinton supporters who took my fellow Democrats hand in Texas, to raise our voices as one. We will not fail this time....

Democrats in 2008!

June 8, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. ?unity

I will vote for Obama, when Michelle Obama casts a vote for Hillary.

Last I saw, she scrunched up her nose at the thought.

That is unity? That is loyalty to party?

June 8, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. Julie

Whole lotta gop spammers out today – trying to spread trouble between the Clinton and Obama supporters. It can't work – McCains positions on the issues are radically different from Clintons. It'd be wrong to vote against the democratic candidate that mirrors Clintons positions. Not just wrong, ridiculous. Would you rather continue with Bush policies just because you're angry your candidate didn't win. That's ludicrious – that's why the folks (dems) spouting their intents to vote for McCain have to be spammers for McCain – the dems aren't typically that gullible.

June 8, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  17. julie mn

i got an e-mail from corrupt dean yesterday, I sent him one back. I said NO THANK-YOU TO THE UN-DEMOCRATIC PARTY. I then went and donated to McCain, a true American.

June 8, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  18. Caitlin

Objectively, Clinton and Obama share the same views, are pushing for basically the same policies, and follow the Democratic Party principles that any registered, educated Democrat would believe in. To be a Hillary supporter and not vote for Obama is both ignorant and childish.

June 8, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  19. Larry P, Cape Cod

As an Obama supporter, I'm worried about the math in November.
    Here's why:

65% of the people dislike George Bush & his policies

McCain is 4 more years of George Bush

Obama only leads McCain by 3 points–he should be leading by 15-30 points.

What"s wrong here?

June 8, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. ?unity

I voted for Hillary because she had the VERY best platform- domestic and foreign. And the ONLY universal Health care plan.

I will not vote for any less. I will wait patiently 4 more years.

Hello McCain.

June 8, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. Pennsylvania

When you campaigned in PA you promised you would take it all the way to the convention. You did not hesitate to attack Obama and the ads you sponsored were by some standards harse and dirty, but they were present to us as the truth.

Hillary, why should I believe you now? Seems to me you are just trying to keep your political life afloat and are hoping for a place in the Obama administration.

You are in it for You and not Us.

June 8, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  22. AJ

WOW and they call Obama supporters zombies...you all want someone to blame for Hilary losing ...try blaming ... hilary and her campaign staff...no doubt in my mind she would have won if she was prepared after super tuesday to contend in those 11 straight contest she lost...

June 8, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. j

Yes she can! I'm now in favor of her being the VP nominee.

June 8, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. ObamaSupporters

WOW! I guess there are a lot of Obama haters reading news today.
    Hillary I do thank you for what you're doing. I respect you for trying to bring the party together.

Let's all get behind Obama and unite the party.

June 8, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. Dave G

To all who are considering voting for McCain, not voting, or writing in Hillary's name in November, please know that this will hurt Hillary Clinton. If she is perceived (rightly or wrongly) as dividing the party and losing the November election to McCain, then her power and influence as a Senator and future candidate will diminish.

At this point, the best thing we can do for Hillary is to do what she says and vote for Obama in November.

On the other hand, if you think another 8 years of war in Iraq would be a good thing, then go ahead and vote for McCain.

June 8, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |