June 8th, 2008

Clinton's new job: Persuading diehard fans to back Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign on Saturday."]

(CNN) - With Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign officially over, she is focusing on making sure her supporters back Sen. Barack Obama's bid.

Throughout the primary season, Clinton and Obama expressed confidence the Democrats would unify once a nominee emerged.

As Clinton closed her campaign Saturday, she urged the cheering crowd of thousands to support Obama in his run for the White House, saying she and supporters should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Her endorsement was met with a scattering of boos and thumbs downs from the crowd at the National Building Museum in Washington.

In a CNN poll released Friday, 60 percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for McCain and 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the nominee.

Full story

1. Andrew E Franklin

I'm one of Hillary supporters. I'll not vote for Obama. Obama is the biggest cheater. If he become the president of the United States, it will damage this great country so badly. Please, Please, Please
    wake up American!!! To whatever you can to stop his bid.

Life long DNC member.

June 8, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. j

Those loyal 18,000,000 would better server Clinton by voting Democrat. Unless of course they want to give up Roe v Wade, universal health care, better jobs & wages for the 94% of Americans that aren't wealthy.

June 8, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Ed

I feel sorry for you, Megan (the second person who commented above). You sound like a bitter person. KEEP YOUR VOTE but don't persuade others to thread your shameful path.SHAME ON U!

June 8, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. to Timothyt

HOW have you learned that there are many Republicans posing as angry Clinton supporters?

I commit my vote to proving you wrong.

Funny... but I have learned there are many lifelong democrats who will now vote republicans.

Democrats need to learn this lesson: DO NOT trash your own best candidate and expect loyalty.

Do NOT hate fellow democrats and expect our vote.

DO NOT agitate division among the party and then call for unity.

I'm not an Angry Clinton supporter... YEAH right.

June 8, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  5. Olivia

The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty – I hate to burst your bubble but I can guarantee you it is more than 5000. And, for all you nuts out there that are saying how Clinton is so disliked why is it that she won but only at the end sold out by the DNC – what about 18 million voters I guess they just were so disgusted in her that they went out to vote some for the first time in their lives.

June 8, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Ben

So 40% of Clinton supporters have no idea what she stands for?
    Some of these McCain voters were always going to vote for him. They just pretended to be democrats during the primary.
    The rest – I can think of no rational explanation for. What's that? Experience you say? How about you try doing 5 minutes of research on that subject. You will find that many of our most effective presidents have had less government experience than Obama. If your still afraid of the scary black man then I can't help you.

June 8, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. William, from Cali

I for one, don't buy it. There are still some really "Bitter" people, in the Clinton camp.Add her and Bill, to that list of bitter Americans.... To me, it was the only ;"Politically Correct" thing, that she had left to do.That speech was really a look, into her "inner workings, to stay viable, in American politics""(Just Words!)........"If it sounds, like a "rattlesnake", but you "can't really, see it"............it probably is one. Keep your enemies, close........You can judge a tree; by the "fruit", it bears.......................................

June 8, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Think

Make no mistake: many of these illogical arguments against the Democratic nominee are right wing puppets loyal to talk radio direction.

As an independent, I certainly have seen ugly and unfair treatment of both Democratic candidates.

I suggest not responding to the absurd "now-I'm-gonna-vote-mccain " drivel. It's ill thought at best and a scam at worst. Time to support the American system of compromise and get behind Obama!

June 8, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. Ashlee from Virginia

I forgot about the comments about Superdelegates going to Barack. It is actually kinda ironic considering that there was no way HIllary could have possibly won unless superdelegates voted for her. Barack had already won a majority of the pledged delegates. Why would superdelegates go against what a majority of the people won't...seeing as that Barack DID WIN THE POPULAR VOTE.

June 8, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Montana is Obama Country

UNITY for AMERICA...

Unity for women's rights

Unity for the Supreme Court opening

Unity for our Teachers

Unity for Seniors

Unity for the children

Unity for our law enforcement

Unity for all other first repsonders

Unity for the soldiers

Unity for ALL Americans

Unity for Prosperity .............

Yes...We..Can...

June 8, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. to Timothyt

I'm just posing as an Angry Clinton supporter.

Think again all you smart educated Obama followers who though HATE would work to force our vote to Obama.

We believe in freedom and justice and fair play.

Rape my candidate... and I am outta there.

June 8, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Roger

Obama supporters are trying to make out like it was all Bill's fault that Hillary lost. Bill hasn't said anything that wasn't true. He has done a wonderful job supporting his wife and if anything, their marriage is stronger now than it ever was.

June 8, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. meghan

YOU HILLARY PEOPLE SUPPORTING MCCAIN or not VOTING. HILLARY LOST THE ELECTION because she ran a POOR campaign. This election is bigger than all of us you IDIOTS!!! PEOPLE are dying in all over the world for freedom to vote and you are going to vote in protest. SHAMEFUL!!

June 8, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. to Timothyt

18 million republicans posing as angry Clinton supporters.

Propaganda does not work.

The hate worked... to drive us away in droves.

June 8, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. Larry P, Cape Cod

More math problems for Obama:

The latest poll shows that 40% of Hillary supporters will not vote for Obama in November and this after she asked them to. No way for Obama to win if this holds up. And why would those 40% change their minds? Not likely since their vote is either a feminist vote or an anti black vote, both deeply ingrained feelings. These are "one issue" people.

June 8, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. sheep

Dont be surprised that most of the negative comments coming on here directed towards democrates from both supporters are not coming from democrates but from MCCAIN supporters loving all the rift there causing because there then the winners and OBAMA AND CLINTON supporters are the losers ..And AMERICA will suffer thru 4 more years of wars because of a party who thinks war is the answer to PEACE . T HIS MENTALITY will bring about the death of thousands of more men and women ..and our troops being brought back burned and wounded beyond repair ...You live with your choice based on your dissapoinment ..And as the body bags are brought back you wait there with the grieving families who just suffered another great loss

June 8, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  17. Larry

Its unreal how those think that we will just change our minds and back BO. If i dont like a certain food , no one can convince me to like it. This is basically the same thing,, i dont like BO and i dont think he has any experience and i dont like the way he played the race card even though most think the Clintons did.. It is just the way tha BO can spin the words to hurt someone else. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the comment that Geraldine made when she said that if he was white he wouldnt even tried to be president. And people like Opray wouldnt have backed him either if his skin color was different.. Black , white, green, red, the person should have some kind of experience!!!! Vote McCain 08

June 8, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. s

If disappointed Clinton backers vote for McSame it just shows how immature and absurd US politricks has become.

June 8, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. Leah DiMarco, Texas

The divisiveness in the democratic party IS Hillary's fault. Senator Obama has always had good things to say regarding Hillary and Hillary constantly was saying demeaning things about Obama. Hillary several times praised McCain while in the same sentence bashed Obama. This mess is Hillarys to fix and if she fails she will be blamed if Obama does not get into the White House.

June 8, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  20. Portia B

For me this race is like choosing the lesser of two evils. I don't particularily care for either candidate, and because of what I am about to say I am not going to disclose who I am backing.

Was I the only person who noticed that Hilary said. "I will SUSPEND my concession." ? Along with the numorous remarks she has made during her campaign this leads me to believe she has something up her sleeve.

After looking up the laws on Presidential Concession, it doesn't suprise me that she attempted to make a comparisson of RFK and her husband. For those of you who don't know; Presidental Concession laws state that the Nominee is a civilian until he is officially sworn in, and that should he take ill, die, or otherwise the Democratic party may choose another nominee to take his place and the election will be POSTPONED.

Doesn't suspend mean the same as postpone?

Odd... no? At a time like this Hilary needs to choose her words more carefully.

June 8, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  21. Lyonn from SF

Wow! Everybody is praising us "Clinton Supporters". Let's not forget how they treated during the course of the primary election.

As a Clinton supporter, I will not vote for McCain but will simply just stay HOME. Now is the time of all OBAMA supporters to WORK. After all they have disowned and ridiculed us before. They have to fight for their man alone just like we did for Hillary so the will experience how hard we struggled for our candidate!

Now that she is out, I am wondering why Hillary is still in the news frontline. I bet this website will never have the same number of visits without her. I guess they still need her just to keep Obama's name sound good!!!!

Now CNN, you better post this. Hillary will get my vote and nobody else. We beleive that she is the strongest most dedicated candidate and been a victim of media and Obama supporters insults!

June 8, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. Peace

Who cares if you want to vote for Obama we will win the GE without you just like how the Lord turn the five fishes into thousand he will turn baracks millions into trillions so please dont get it twisted we will win the GE it as been written.

Obama 08-12.

June 8, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. Alex Williams

As a HRC supporter I will listen to Hillary but Obama has to earn my vote. There are reasons why I and many like me supported Hillary and Obama knows what they are. How he and his supporters treat Hillary and her policies will be very important for me. Currently I am favoring McCain a bit but Obama can win me over if he tries hard. Obama is too liberal for me. With a strong Democratic Congress we can keep McCain in check on things like Supreme Court nominees. What Hillary says under pressure does not make much of a difference. .

Obama supporters looking for Hillary to help them win the White House shows a lack of confidence they have with their candidate. He has to move to center to win us over and is willing to do that!!

Alex Williams
    Akron, OH

June 8, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Renee

My soul is NOT for sell!!

I will NOT vote for Obama! Nor will I support the Dems until they change leadership, starting with the chairman!

Dems, PLEASE do not send me any more mail asking for donations! I am going to give you the same thing you gave Clinton and her supporters for 16 months------ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I refuse to support the UNDEMOCRATIC PARTY!

June 8, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. Linda31

To those that say that Obama disrepected Hillary, I ask you when? He has been respectful of her. They BOTH said and did things duringt he primaries to garner votes.

I think people are missing the point that this primary was to choose a Democratic candidate and we did. The fact that your candidate did not win does not mean that their issues and policy can not stil make it to the white house. One of the things Hillary said was that we are a family. She knows this better then most.

To say that you would vote McCain instead of Obama goes against EVERYTHING Hillary Clinton was fighting for. How can you undo what she worked so hard to do, because that is exactly what a vote for McCain is.

Yes, I know that there are a lot of Republicans acting as if they are Democratics. Pitiful thing that they can't agrue based on their own issues instead of hiding behind others.

June 8, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |