June 8th, 2008

Obama 'fist bump' catching on

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/09/art.late.edition2.cnn.jpg
caption="Feinstein and Hutchison share a fist bump."]

(CNN) - In a reference to Barack and Michelle Obama's celebratory fist bump on Tuesday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, ended their conversation on CNN's Late Edition with their own version of the “hand shake.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Voter

Oh, please. A slow news day, i guess. CNN, you simply have no shame!

June 8, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. An Ohio Oracle

hey I don't want to appear prudish but isn't that something only black people do?

Give me a break

June 8, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. Chuck

"ooooh.... LOOK! I'm black too!!!" Morons.

June 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. honestlady

Sweet!!!

June 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Concerned Citizen for America

And this is news? Where is Walter Cronkite when you need him?

June 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. Tammy. Cleveland

CNN

You seem to be fixated on the Obamas. Who is it at CNN that is driving this? It's as if McCain did not exist. Even for an obviously biased media I think you are going too far. Next you'll be following them into the bathroom. Its really gone too far and you ought to do something about this before you have no credibilty left at all.

June 8, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. San Diego Moon

Another example of the unstoppable, contagious enthusiasm Obama is bringing to America. It's funny to see the country divided by the haters and the hopeful, the positive and the negative.

Just like with Hillary–who tried to spread fear, Obama will prove that light overcomes dark, hope overcomes fear.

June 8, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. CARMEN

LETS ALL START DOING THE BUMP NOW.

June 8, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Shupikai001

Spread the 'pound'.... 🙂

June 8, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. Kathy

The DNC failed its constituents’ miserably in falling to acknowledge every vote cast and counted in Michigan and Florida..period. The principals for which the party was founded are simple…one voice..one vote. As far as the “rules” pertaining to the date of which a state is suppose to hold its primary-I say—to hell with these arbitrary rules put in place by political party elitists-they undermine the founding principles of the party by disenfranchising those who showed up to vote. The voters in these states had no voice in these decisions, but they went to the polls anyway, and they voted, even if they voted “uncommitted”. And this nonsense about how these votes would not count because they broke the rules, thus possible encouraging these voters to stay home—I say ridiculous. If you are a registered voter and as so, those that did not go to the polls—well I guess they did not take their privilege to vote seriously.
    By disenfranchising those that did vote, the DNC intentionally disenfranchised and abandoned the strongest candidate to head the ticket- Hillary. She with her tremendous strength, knowledge and courage was tossed aside for an ill-qualified community organizer with two years of Senate experience. Let me make clear, I do not hate Obama however I firmly believe him to be the weakest candidate to head the ticket. Those same party leaders did not have the courage to realize this and they will pay a price for their stupidity. I have heard those same party leaders repeatedly say, well gee, what would we say to the African American voter, and all those newly registered college folk who backed Obama-that would be a against our principals to “take” the nomination away from him, I say BULL. To the 92% of the African Americans and those college folk who apparently voted overwhelmingly for Obama, I ask…. where have you been all these years when the party needed your votes in prior elections--then you stayed home, or failed to register and vote.
    I have been a loyal supporter of the party my entire adult life-no more. You have shown me time and time again that you are gutless and have no clear clue how to win elections. You lack the vision and the wisdom to do anything other than pat your own pockets and run from the truth-for shame.
    I do not speak for all Hillary supporters, though I do hope I speak for many of them when I say to the party…. you have failed us-you have failed Hillary, and you will once again fail to win the White House, and because of your failure-the party WILL pay a high price. I watched and listen to Hillary ask her supporters to now throw their support to Obama, for the sake of the party. Hillary is a loyalist to the party-why, I’m not sure-because I am no longer so. Well with the deepest respect for Hillary, I will not, with my vote, allow the “rape” of her candidacy to continue. Come Nov I will exercise my right and vote for McCain-two can play the same game. I respect Hillary tremendously, however the party and the process did her wrong and this cannot stand. YES THIS WILL BE A PROTEST VOTE, a vote against the DNC-you need to clean your act up and remember your core constituents, because “Yes We Can” make a difference.
    I am not afraid of McCain, he does not represent 4 more years of Bush-no one could possibly be that stupid. I believe him to be a man of honor who will do his best for this country and its people that he cares deeply for, and for that reason I will place my hope with him. I’d rather hedge my bet on a man of honor than to vote for the voice of chatter. who promises everything to everyone. I say go back to Chicago, drink your green tea and eat your arugula, and O by the way, clean up the mess in your own back yard. And one last thing-no I am not “bitter”-disenfranchised and very angry at the party—yes.

June 8, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  11. Pappu

You make my stomach turn.

June 8, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!

WE NOW OFFICIALLY HAVE THE SUPPORT OF MILLIONS OF CLINTON SUPPORTERS!

June 8, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  13. Brandon in Indiana

Slow news day?

June 8, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  14. Peter E

So what... are we supposed to vote for Bailey or Feinstein for president now?

June 8, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. virginia nielsen

Was very cute the "fist bump" between Senator Obama and his wife Michelle. That's what we need in the White House !!! A real family !!! We can see how much love they share !!! Go OBAMA !!!

June 8, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  16. martin

its a great way to keep from spreading germs and viruses.

June 8, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  17. RaineyDays in Maryland

LOL!

June 8, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  18. Kwame

This just speaks to the racial divide in our country. Black folks have been "fist bumping" each other forever. I have to believe that the members of the media are either, ancient and don't pay attention to their kids, or they have absolutely no black or latino friends at all.

However, as usual, when doing something you're not familiar with, these senators have it wrong. You do not dap your opponent, you dap someone to show strength and solidarity with them.

June 8, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. Jeff

I'm sick of Obama and his BS ways already. How will people stand 4 years of him?

June 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!

I Would Like To Give A Fist Bump To All Of My Fellow Obama Supporters! Hillary Supporters Who Now Back Obama Can Also Get A Fist Bump! The Clinton Conspiracy Supporters, . . . No Fist Bump For You!

June 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. spencer

I think the bump is stupid, let it go......

June 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  22. B

My god...this fist bump thing is getting out of control. We've been giving dap for years.

June 8, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!

I Bet Mccain Would Break His Wrist If He Got A Fist Bump!

June 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. Erik C in Ohio

Hahahahahaha this is hilarious....

June 8, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Kenneth M.

Obama was elected not selected. In her announcment Clinton said she supports thoses who work hard and play by the rules. Well MI and FL broke the rules. Tell me Clintonites what sanction do you think they should have gotten? Then Hillie wanted the super dels to support her. Now that they did not her supporters are saying it is the popular vote that counts. Well never bring a popular vote to a delegate fight. Since 1776 it has been the delegates that count in the USA. Sure there has been sexist comments made about her. But did she ever have a state not vote for her because she is a women? Obama had to deal with PA, WV, and KY all not vote for him because he is black. There are more people who did *not* vote for him because he *is* black then who voted for him because he is black.

June 8, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |