June 9th, 2008

McCain campaign: We'll win where Clinton did

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/09/art.davisvideo.cnn.jpg caption="A new McCain strategy video stressing the Republican’s strong position heading into the fall."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - McCain campaign manager Rick Davis posted a 14-minute “strategy briefing” on the presumptive Republican nominee’s official Web site over the weekend that concedes the GOP faces one of the most unwelcoming election environments in history - but claims that John McCain is still in a strong position, due in part to a strategy of appealing to areas dominated by Hillary Clinton during the primary season.

Top on the campaign’s list of targets: southwestern Pennsylvania and southeastern Ohio, which backed Clinton over Barack Obama by hefty double-digit margins. Clinton won both contests.

Davis says that McCain will be able to compete with Obama in major Midwestern states like Michigan and Wisconsin – and that McCain’s association with Democrat-turned-Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman will put Connecticut in play. He also tells observers to “Watch California!”

McCain’s personal favorability ratings are "the highest for any official running for office today," claims Davis – and far surpass Obama’s.

Davis says the general election fight has been too close to call for months, according to Gallup polls. The two candidates split independents, and McCain pulls in a larger share of Republicans than Obama does Democrats.

Unfortunately for McCain, Obama’s numbers, gathered during a heated Democratic primary season, are likely to improve in the coming weeks. And this year, there are far more Democrats than Republicans, making McCain’s current edge among the party faithful far less significant.

“The GOP brand troubles have created a larger group of independent votes that we need to appeal to this election cycle than normal. No longer can a Republican candidate run by just running up the score with the base,” says Davis.

But he adds that the presumptive Republican nominee outperforms his own party’s generic ballot by double digits nationwide, as well as in areas like the border southwest – including the Arizona senator’s home base – and in the crucial swing state of Florida.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. j

I sincerely hope not.

June 9, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  2. Democrat for Life

FYI Hillary Supporters,
    I had a republican neighbor tell me this weekend that he and a gropu of his friends likes to go on this blog and portray himself as Hillary supporters that will never vote for Obama just to get other Hillary supporters to follow suit. He said it is his greatest joy to see how fast Hillary supporters will turn against their own party. He also stated that republicans would never do that. Just thought you should know…

Democrat 08

June 9, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  3. Chris, Middletown, CT

June 9th, 2008 1:23 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Maybe he will…look at the HRC supporters still parroting the lies she told….the illiterate vote is up for grabs for McCain….they supported the "many faces of Hillary Clinton" – we need more literacy programs….badly

June 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. Lisa

I think John McCain is trying everything he can to use Hillary Clinton against Obama. Poor Old thing, he better take a different approach to all of this, he is in NA NA Land!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  5. Seam, Florida

BEWARE of Republicans pretending to be Hillary Clinton supporters. They are trying to brainwash people to start supporting McCain. The writing is on the wall.

June 9, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Deb

I spend Saturday afternoon crying my eyes out for Hillary and the Democratic Party that I have been loyal to from 1972.

This year I will be voting for McCain!

As a conservative and a patriot I will cast my vote with pride!

McCain 08

June 9, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. Viva Obama/Clinton 08

A Vote for Barrack Obama is a vote for Hillary Clinton because they support the same cause.
    A vote for John McCain is a vote for a George Bush third terms more wars, bad economy and more country will not want to deal with our country. If you were really a true Hillary supporter that want a better America for this generation and the future generation you must vote Democratic this November. Please do yourself a good favor and vote for the Democratic nominee this coming November.
    No hard feeling because Hillary has none against Barrack. We must put the Republican out of the white house.
    As you can see, we are in a big recession and that will get worse with a John McCain.
    I want to tell John McCain that gas tax holiday is not a solution for our energy problem and is not going to be a solution. This gas tax holiday shows that John McCain do not understand the economy.

June 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. SONI4HILLARY

P U M A

June 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Anonymous

THIS IS A RESPONSE TO B. Churchill AND The Truth Hurts

So, what you guys saying is that Democrat voters should close their eyes and follow whatever, whoever the Democratic Party chooses? !!!!????

Talking about the issues, what if I DON'T LIKE OBAMA'S IDEAS AND PLANS? What if I THINK HIS PLANS ARE WEAK AND LOUDSY AND IN THE END WILL NOT FIX ANYTHING? (His plans do not go all the way, such as UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE and WITHDRAWING ALL TROOPS FROM IRAQ AND INVADING AGAIN LATER). What if I THINK HE'S AN UNDECIDED GUY AND WILL NOT DO A GOOD JOB IN THE WHITE HOUSE? And personally what if I SIMPLY DON'T TRUST THE GUY.

You guys have been talking that his plans are similar to Hillary, SO WHY DIDN'T YOU VOTE FOR HILLARY? WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR OBAMA? Doesn't the small different make a whole 'nother level? Isn't that TRUST an important part? I simply don't trust that he can do the job.

So now, if I have all of these issues with him, but because of the Party, I have to get in line and vote for him? vote for a person I have issues with and don't trust?

I now have 2 options: either sit at home like many many other Americans, or go to the poll and write in Hillary. I can't vote fot the person I don't trust.

Can I just simply have my right to vote for the PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE that shares my views and opinions, the one that I trust?

I don't like either McCain or Obama, instead of sitting home and not caring about politics like many many Americans, can I just simply go to the poll and write Hillary in to put my voice into the country's most important election? I know it is a tiny one, but if many many do the same thing, it's gonna be big. Everything has to start with one, more often unusual.

June 9, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. SONI4HILLARY

Remember in November

June 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. Dems2008

Dems never seem to amaze me. In 2000 Bush and McCain had a bitter primary in which Bush used all types of tactics to discredit McCain. In the end, the Bush won and the Repub. backed him to a victory even if it was stolen. Currently Obama and Clinton finished their competitive primary, and as Dems we still can not come together. For the Dems that are voting for McCain out of protest, you will deserve what you get if he wins.

This election is not just about the economy and the war; it is also about Supreme Court nominees. Bush has successfully stacked this court with radical right wing bible thumping conservatives that view issues such as abortions in a negative eye. This election is the most important election in our life time. If we can not come together and support our Democratic Nominee, then we deserve another four years or high energy cost, food cost, billions of tax payer dollars paying for the war in Iraq and all the other policies that Bush has implemented.

Democrats 08!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Phil in KC

Sounds like a lot of campaign bluster to me. Turning CA? Please....

June 9, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. Why???

Come on guys and let's vote for McCain. I love the high gas prices,(3.85 to 3.99)

No food on my table, (bread @ 3.49, milk @ 4.99, medium eggs per dozen @ 2.69, no roof over my head, (home just foreclosed), high medical bills ($30g) and etc.

Let's continue down the same old path.

Because, a vote for McCain is a vote Insane.

June 9, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. SONI4HILLARY

Misogynists Beware! The Women are Talking

Well, boys, you’ve really gone and done it this time. You managed to spew vile sexist comments at a shockingly unprecedented level. With the charge being led by the media, you injected your sexist hatred into every nook and cranny of this election process. Congratulations! Great work! The so-called journalists, the has beens of the DNC and the boys who held up signs that said “Iron My Shirt” and rudely interrupted political rallies have done it! We’re very grateful to you, we women are. You’ll never know how much.

We’re grateful because you have started women talking with each other in a way we haven’t talked in years. We are talking like we have haven’t talked since the suffrage movement and since we had leaders like Susan B. Anthony or Alice Paul. We are talking like we haven’t talked since the National Organization of Women was born. We are talking like we haven’t talked since our mothers told us we could be whatever we wanted to be, even President of the United States. By the way, the dialogue and the support has been tremendous. We appreciate your help in the matter.

So, thanks again, boys. This has been a long time coming. Women needed to start talking again. The talk is loud and will resonate for years to come. If you ever grow up into men, don’t come knocking at our doors. They won’t open. Your purpose in life has been served. You have managed to breathe new life into the Women’s Movement in this country.

Hillary can still take this all the way to the Democratic Convention if she needs to. No matter who emerges the winner, though, the real loser in this Democratic Party debacle will be the boys who tried to run her off, and the girls who fell in line behind them. The real women AND the real men who are now standing together, newly aligned against sexism, will be the winners

Ladies–we’ll be talking soon.

June 9, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  15. Different Mike

Weatherman, The reason they appear to lack education is because they have not finished it yet. Everyone knows that 50% of Obama's supporters are college student's who have not graduated yet.

As for "No More Neocons" perhaps you should do your homework. The article say's "PERSONAL Favorability Rating" of which John McCain enjoy's about 70%. Obama on the other hand has the dubious distinction of having 51% of his own party who think he is untrustworthy, inexperienced and shares the views of reverend Wright. That's from his own party via MSNBC. You can't get much worse than that. I believe that 51% is probably the MAJORITY of the popular vote that voted for Clinton. You can talk all you want about Michigan not counting, but it's not like those people won't be going to the election box in November. Barack Obama, the only nominee in history to lose 2 states before the voting even began.

June 9, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. Kathy, Andover

Keep dreamin' McCain

June 9, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. whitemarlin

Why would you want to support McCain when you are a Democrat. Dosen't anyone who has spinned from Hillary to Mc Cain know what a democrat is and stands for. If you vote for Mc Cain then you are a trader and do not understand what is is to be a true Democrat. Which is briefly, The American's working man and one of pride,One who beleives in America and is proud to be an American.
    Wake up Americans and support the real American party. and Obama
    ( and Hillary).
    God Bless America!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. John in PA

I live in SW PA (PIttsburgh, to be exact), and I am a Hillary supporter. I will consider Obama if she is on the ticket. Otherwise, although I am a lifelong Democrat, I most likely will vote for McCain. Fact of the matter is, since he is a liberal Republican, his views are a lot closer to mine (and most all Hillary supporters) than Obama's far left liberal views are. Those are just the facts. I would never blindly vote a party for President. I always vote the candidate.

June 9, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. BILL

put fiscally conservative in the white house

June 9, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. Mike, ATL

Anyone who votes on their emotions alone needs to have their voting rights revoked. It is shame that America is comprised of so many complainers and excuse makers. Vote on the issues or don't vote at all.

June 9, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. SONI4HILLARY

Voters have little doubt as to who is benefitting from the media coverage this year—Barack Obama. Fifty-four percent (54%) say Obama has gotten the best coverage so far.
    Twenty-two percent (22%) say McCain has received the most favorable coverage while 14% say that Hillary got the best treatment…

Among unaffiliated voters, 44% believe reporters will try to help Obama and 14% believe they will try to help McCain.

June 9, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. SANAA

ALL OF YOU THAT WRITE HILLARY ON THE BALLOT........I HOPE YOU VOTES GET THROWN IN THE TRASH...............

GROW UP.....................WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN? WHAT ARE YOU SHOWING THE WORLD???/

OBAMA 08

June 9, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. Will smith

MCcain should choose Hillary as his VP

June 9, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. SONIA

HILLARY IS THE TRUE WINNER -

OBAMA IS A SELECTED CANDIDATE –SELECTED BY MEDIA/ MEN /DNC/

June 9, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. James, SC

There are a lot of McCain supporters pretending to be Clinton/Obama supporters saying some really bad things. Democrats don't listen to these idiots!!

June 9, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |