June 10th, 2008

Presidential hopefuls eye the economy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/10/art.mccainobama.ap.jpg caption="Obama and McCain are battling over the economy. "](CNN) - The economy is the No. 1 issue on the minds of American voters, and Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama offer vastly different plans to improve it.

Watch: Pros/cons of Obama's new plan

McCain on Tuesday told a group of small business owners that his goal as president will be "to get our economy running at full strength again."

The senator from Arizona is attempting to paint Obama as a typical Democrat who wants to raise taxes and regulate government, charging that Obama would institute the largest tax increase in more than 60 years.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Paul, Riverside, CA

If history can tell us anything, the greatest boom in American History was 60 years ago. We just came out of WWII, and needed a way for this country to pay down an insurmountable debt. Taxes were raised, and from 1948 – 1965 the American economy was #1 in the world and model for other industrialized countries.

June 10, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  2. ALLBAMALLTHETIME

BRIAN FROM KNOXVILLE IS INVISIBLE.

June 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Walter Greason

Where is the discussion of Kucinich's articles of impeachment?

June 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. Rick FL

In comparison, I guess McCain is the typical Republican with borrow and spend positions to support Bush's tax cuts for the wealthiest 1%.

To support a new approach for our economy, Obama proposes those tax cuts for Americans making under $75K, who actually need relief.

June 10, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. Economy?

Wasn't it obvious from the start that ON ALL THE ISSUES HRC was the best one?

Why try to decide now between these second and third tier choices?

Why not just have gone with the better choice right from the start?

This hype of hope is getting mighty old.

McCain gets my vote just in protest of the dirty swiftboat tactics used to trounce HRC.

June 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. McCain=the draft

Pound the podium as hard as you want McCain. I still don't believe you, nor will I vote for you. Boy, you get angry ...not what I want in the White House.

June 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Marc Seattle Wash

The Democrats tried to tax the big oil companies and the Republicans said no and they blocked the bill. Ane we want to back McCain.

June 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Doug R.

Again...two faced McCain is not being honest and no one is questioning him on this. Lets also remember Ronald Reagan raised taxes how many times...and doubled the FICA tax.
    What are his specific plans for getting the economy runing at full speed?? What about oil prices??He talks in broad generalizations. He appears disorganized and aloof. He's looking older and older each time you see him. This country needs real change and new blood.

June 10, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. okay Obama supporters

You honestly think that Obama has the magical solution to instantly drop oil prices and gas prices.

It doesn't matter who you elect. Both will make gas prices through the roof.

I won't make the mistake any of you make, I'm voting for Bob Barr... you know the OTHER man running that CNN won't tell you about...

June 10, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  10. anti bandwagon-voting

Is there ANY doubt who is best on the ECONOMY?

Oh wait... her party and the celebrity bandwagon with the media at the helm KILLED her chances just to advance their puppet Obama.

I am now for the Elderly gentleman.

TRUE change from the circus we just went through.

June 10, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. Edward - Virginia

No Hillary...then I take her lead and will vote for Obama. Obviously, him and her are closer to the heartfelt issues facing America. Gramps ain't got a chance.

June 10, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. Independent (Ex-Democrat) in Iowa

As much as I love Hillary, I make my own decisions as far as who I vote for – I won't just 'fall in line'. He has to earn our votes – not expect her to deliver us. He has time – he had better make some wise decisions.

With that, if Obama were to choose her for a key position, like Secretary of State, I'd be more comfortable voting for him.

June 10, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  13. media darling

HRC.

I Know that the policy wonk is the best on EVERY issue.

Should have counted my vote when it counted.

Now it has become a PROTEST vote against Obama.

June 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. DemocracyNow2008

Obama speaks about the Economy and McCain speaks about the Beers that he will veto .
    I will take Obama over McBeer.

June 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. Alex in TX

This article is about economics right? Why are so many people posting about the media and how Hillary was railroaded, and Obama was selected.

The reason the party is so divided is because people refuse to look at the issues. Obama and Hillary are nearly identical. Don't blame Obama for your perceptions of how the media treated Hillary.

Lest we not forget that Rev Wrigt was the leading story for nearly 3 weeks straight and "bittergate" was another 2. The media wasn't soft on Obama he just made fewer mis-statements and contradictory statements to previous actions.

Lets unite behind the issues!!

June 10, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  16. TXBad1 ( ex Democrat)

Obamanites, wake up, Obama has no workable economic plan, and throwing that McCain is 4 more years of Bush, are you ignorant or Just uninformed on past issues and just came out to Vote for Obama based on race? McCain is Known for Bumping heads with Bush over issues, CNN knows they often pointed it out! I Voted for Hillary, since shes not in the Race I will Vote for McCain as will the Majority of her supporters!
    Obamanites, you caused the riff, you live with it!

McCain all the way in November!
    and I Have Voted Demarcate since most of the obamanites were a twinkle in there Parents dreams that Voting for Obama will ruin!

June 10, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. Brian Knoxville, TN

Dems are done,

RIGHT ON!

June 10, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  18. Juan

McBush has a solution for economy. LOL

June 10, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Robert

Painting Obama as a typical spend spend spend democrat doesn't fly, What Mccain is really saying is what he has said early on in the republican primary..... He doesn't really understand the economy....

He is becoming the republican sacrifical lamb.....

June 10, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. Hillary Supporter

This is so cool! Obama's plans are the same as Hillary to a large degree. I think she turned him into a real fighter now for the average person. The funding for his plans will pale in comparison to the what Bush and the Republicans spent over the last 8 years. I am voting for Obama now!

June 10, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. PROTEST

I voted on all the issues... but the bandwagon rolled over me... gleefully bashing the BEST candidate and dismissing all her supporters.

My vote did not matter then. The issues were less important than the race of the candidate.

It won't matter in NOV either. I am now free to protest with my vote.

I left the democratic party.

HRC will always get my vote in the future. All other dems have added my nail to their coffin.

June 10, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. NoBamaEVER

As usual, nasty Obamanites. Is a slip in a speech that big of a deal? Your loser nominee can only say, "Another Bush, another Bush, more Bush..." Come up with something new. If Obama makes it to the White House, we'll be wishing Bush was back.
    I think you should have to be thirty to vote. These middle school antics are the downfall of this country. Do you people have any morals or respect? You people are so hateful, judgemental, and the biggest hypocrites.

McCain 08!

June 10, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Enlightened Voter -

By mccain's own lips, "I admit, the economy is not my strong suit...I know very little about economic issues...
    Is this who we want to run our country? 350,000 jobs lost since january, over 1 million homes in foreclosure, gas at $4.05 a gal and rising daily, the trickle down effect of gwb corporate tax cuts never trickled down. Can we afford mccain or another repub in office?

June 10, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Marc Seattle Wash

David, McCain said he would pay for the war by cutting certain programs like programs for senior citizens. Also he said that we pay too much money to places like planned parenthood. This is what the angry Hillary supporters are ready to get. If they vote for McCain, then they can forget about social security and seniors can forget most of there programs that keep them going. You can keep following Harriet Christian.

June 10, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. Cindy in Boston

McBush–you're on your own economy policy...

June 10, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |