June 10th, 2008

Presidential hopefuls eye the economy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/10/art.mccainobama.ap.jpg caption="Obama and McCain are battling over the economy. "](CNN) - The economy is the No. 1 issue on the minds of American voters, and Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama offer vastly different plans to improve it.

Watch: Pros/cons of Obama's new plan

McCain on Tuesday told a group of small business owners that his goal as president will be "to get our economy running at full strength again."

The senator from Arizona is attempting to paint Obama as a typical Democrat who wants to raise taxes and regulate government, charging that Obama would institute the largest tax increase in more than 60 years.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. David Goldman for OBAMA

I AM SORRY FOR NOT DEFENDING THE BEER DRINKERS

OF THIS GREAT NATION. AND AFTER GIVING IT SOME MORE

THOUGHT, I THINK MY MARTINIS ARE NEXT. SO LETS GET

UNITED AGAINST THE BEER VETO & AGAINST THIS MORON.

June 10, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. STILL BROKE~

Obama has never worked a real job or served in Military, that disturbs me. Its kinda hard to know what the people are feeling when you have never experienced it yourself. I would like to see the candiates try and live on a min or close to it wage job and pay all the things the american families pay on their measly pay. They should all have to do it for several months with no credit cards live pay check to paycheck. Then they would have a clue as to how the economy needs to helped. Throwing 50 billion dollars into the economy isnt going to help it. We need real solutions. Obama is alot of hot air. oh and hope! Mccain isnt much better,but smarter to surround himself with knowledgable people. At least mccain admits thats not his forte. Unlike obama expert in everything, with no plan or experience in anything. Show us the plans obama

June 10, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. dogmeat

Pat Iowa, where do you morons go to school? Tthis is pathetic how imbeciles like you can be manipulated and have such a narrow focus. OMG

June 10, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Filipina

Hey Jan from Boca Raton, Fla you must be a p-brain and such a sore loser for voting for GB 3rd term, look at the economy, look at the misleading war that money should be spend in this country.....Look at other country there health cover is much much better than the usa.

June 10, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. Republican for Obama

What's this:

PUMA DEMOCRAT
    One of the 18 million betrayed by the Democratic Party's failed leadership

I think you mean:

Temperamental Democrat
    One of the 18 million who supported the losing candidate in a close election and can't face reality, so we will pout!

June 10, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  6. Turning the page

McCain has said he doesn't really understand how the economy works. Obama's father was a Harvard economist. Both of them have never run any economy. But Obama has economics in his DNA.

This election will provide the easiest choice for voters in a long time!

June 10, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. Chris, Middletown, CT

I really can't believe some people believe what they blog – espcially the Hillary supporters...she has no "experience" – thats why she and Bill needed to buy a house in NY state....just so the Dems there would do what they do for any carpetbagger....elect anyone with a D after their name....this experience and leadership...has her voting for the Iraq war....after not reading the intelligence briefing....and not having her attending a single cabinet meeting in the Clinton White House....ummm...because she was the first lady....a ceremonial position that has her attending state functions....not negotiating treaties....her main role in the White House....was defending Bill against all the women who said he sexually abused them...(for real) – if thats what you want in a President....thats what she can offer...I'm not sure what else you are looking at (perhaps her bravery in the face of sniper fire??) – its time to pick up that newspaper and read it...and not use it to line your bird cage

June 10, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Cat

So....Let me get this straight. I keep hearing how McCain is conservative, Clinton is centrist, and Obama is liberal. Did I wake up in bizarro world? Media– please quit spinning the facts.

June 10, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. M.S. Indiana

Louis, what about Iraq war ?? thats several hundred billions a year

June 10, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. MD in OK

I can't believe it, the GOP blocked a bill to tax the windfall profits of the largest oil companies. This is what the people want? I think not. But if you vote McBush in, this is exactly what you will get!

Democrats, we must unite!!!

June 10, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. Jeff

To Jan from Boca Raton, Fla
    You are really giving Clinton supporters a bad name. You are the type of supporter that only voted for her becuase she is a woman not because of her stance on the issues. I was a Clinton supporter because of where she stood. Now that she is no longer running, I have to find someone new who's views are more closely aligned with my own. Between McCain and Obama, its Obama every day of the week. If your views more closely align you with McCain, then by all means vote for him. But don't vote for McCain just because you feel slighted by Obama. You have to get beyond your anger and think about the ISSUES that are most important to you.

June 10, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. Dave

Yet another day and many more examples of Obamite's ignorant rantings. I can't believe that a party that once elected presidents like Roosevelt and Truman has sunk to electing racist socialists in disguise. Of course, judging from the comments I read everyday on these forums, I should not be suprised. You Obamites are nothing but angry little sheep following their socialist shepherd.

June 10, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. was a republican now I'm not affiliated

McCain has no chance...time for a new direction.

June 10, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. For the Love of God

To ObamaSupporter:

Yes, unemployment is at 5.5%. Should we follow the European economic model that Obama proposes and perhaps we'll have double-digit unemployment like most of Europe!

Their average unemployment rate over the past 10 years? 9.4%
    France: 10.9%
    Canada: 8.3%
    Germany: 9.0%
    Spain: 11.4%

Is this what the liberals want? to be like Europe?
    Or maybe have average unemployment of the past years be 4.9% like in the United States? Its not the lowest figure out there, but its pretty darn good compared to others!

And now Obama wants 'windfall profits' taxes, to raise (by almot double) capital gains taxes, uncap Social Security taxes, and raise taxes on the upper tax brackets....

Great, at a time of slow economic growth, he wants to hamper investment. Good solution, my man. Just when I thought the Senate learned something by privatizing their cafeteria (which posted a profit in only 7 of 40 years of operation), the Dems are pushing for government 'intervention' in the oil market. I'm sure it'll go as smoothley as when they tried in it in the 80s when that windfall profits tax caused less domestic oil production and more oil imports from overseas.

Keep Obama out of your pocket book.

June 10, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  15. WB, PSL

I was a Hillary supporter and will NEVER vote for John McCain. I'm a true democrate! One voting on issues and policies. Not like Jane from Boca Raton Florida who's voting on RACE. True democrate unite dehind the party's nominee and vote accordingly.

Every vote for McCain is a vote to continue this senseless war in Iraq, spiralling gas price and an economy going down the pipline. AMERICAN WAKE UP! WE'RE FACING A DEPRESSION AND THE ONLY WAY OUT IS TO VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA! MCCAIN IS 71 AND CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT HE DID LAST MONTH!

June 10, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. M.K. Ozman

McCain is such a dishonest man. I used to respect him, but when I have just read a report in the British Daily Mail on how he dumped his first wife who waited five years for him when he was captured in Vietnam because she gained wait and was hurt by a car accident. He just rewarded her loyalty by running after younger women and then marrying a wealthy blond heiress. What a selfish crooked looser!

June 10, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. TrueDat

Are people so foolish as to believe Bush is responsible for the economy? It bounced back after 9/11, and then took a dump again due to the subprime mortgage crisis, which was caused by greedy speculators and unscrupulous lenders, not Bush. The oil "crisis" is also caused primarily by Wall Street. The shortage is gratly exaggerated, but that also has nothing to do with Bush. The unemployment rate is currently equal to the LOWEST it ever was during Bill Clinton's presidency. I" concede that If we can't finght the war in Iraq on our own terms, then it is pointless to stay there, but on nearly every other issue, Democrats have lost all touch with reality!

June 10, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. KO

McCain is riding on his biography. That is what issaving him. Have you ever seen some ride or profit so well on a life story? Just give it up!

"My, friends, my friends, trust me my friends. I'm a war hero, I'm a nice guy. I can reach across the aisle. I am the son of Admirals. I am the great one. Look at me I'm a POW. I deserve your respect no matter what you politcal views are. I deserve a state funeral because I am the annointed one, my friends."

June 10, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

John McCain sets the record straight. He said he would veto every BEER. Folks John McCain is SENILE and has a lot of SENIOR MOMENTS just like I do at 65 years old and I'm in better health than him. BUT YOU CAN'T AVOID SENIOR MOMENTS NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU MAY TRY, THEY JUST CREEP UP ON YOU WITHOUT ANY NOTICE AND YOU TOTALLY FORGET WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO SAY. WELCOME TO THE CLUB JOHN MCCAIN.

June 10, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  20. Tom in CA

"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."
    Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

I guess that Senator McCain no longer believes this and President Bush never did. Otherwise, the war in Iraq would never have been fought and our economy would not be sinking.

"Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes."
    Benjamin Franklin

June 10, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. David Goldman for OBAMA

FOLKS IT'S REALLY SIMPLE.

THEY ARE BLEEDING US TO DEATH WITH THE

IRAQ WAR & OTHER SPECIAL INTERESTS.

IT IS ESTIMATED THAT 10 BILLION TAX DOLLARS A DAY, ARE

WASTED BY THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IN VARIOUS FORMS.

THEY TALK THE SMALL GOVERNMENT CRAP JUST WHEN

IT COMES TO PROGRAMS THAT BENEFIT US.

WE ARE IN A 7 TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT NOW.

OUR GREAT GRAND CHILDREN WILL BE PAYING FOR IT.

June 10, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. carlo

I am now more convinced than ever that the large majority of Hillary supporters who are now claiming that they are voting for McCain are either Republicans who took part in Operation Chaos started by that buffoon Limbaugh, or you are Republicans just trying to stir up trouble. The fact that Obama and Clinton don't differ on how to deal with the economy, combined with some of you morons on here yelling about a PUMA pac actually defending McCain's positions, which are diametrically opposed to what Hillary stands for, tells the story.

I am now more than convinced that there is no way a true Democrat or even a true supporter of Hillary Clinton who actually wasn't voting for her because she is a woman would rather be shot than vote for McCain.

June 10, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Tom Eyemdaman

It's amazing how badly some people are behaving in these forums. I've seen so many names thrown and bad-mouthing, and it's so pathetic that you can't make an argument about their policies so you resort to calling them idiots, elitists, race baters, whatever. Why can't we all just get along? 🙂

I'd love to see McCain and Obama co-sponsor a bill to help move us forward towards energy independence. Not everyone is right or wrong all the time. I'd love to see McCain say "that is a good idea Obama has" or Obama to say "McCain is right about this issue" – let's find common ground on the issues that matter and get some work done. These guys are still Senators until one of them gets elected to POTUS, so they should be getting some work done too!

June 10, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Jreal

My thoughts on this economic issue is that for almost eight years now this country has been witness to the vexatious policies of this current administration. Yes McCain has experience, but I just don't trust his experience because of his dealings in the senate. Is it not true that McCain agreed with 95% of Bush's policies and actions? You see where that got us. If he knows so much and has all this so-called "experience" then why in the world does he flip-flop about the comments and statements he made recently and years back during his "experienced" years?

Barack Obama provides what he say...and that's Change. Not only is he more smarter, but he is more capable of a new and better economic picture for America. For a guy with little experience, he sure is giving the old vet more comp than everyone thought!

June 10, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. james from brooklyn

how is he going to do that. he doesn't know much about the economy. those are his words. Plus to all the angry female voters out there who felt that hillary was robbed, please google:CAROL MCCAIN. see for yourself what type of man our senator could be. he said he is a man of principal yet he refuse to speak freely about his faith and other personal matter. Please, ladies, do your home work on that man who ditched his wife for a young rich hot babe name cindy. Principles doesn't rhyme with mccain, angry or any other name that is synonimous to john mccain

June 10, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |