June 10th, 2008

Primaries over, Democrats promote unity

Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic officials told reporters Tuesday the party is united behind Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Tuesday that the national party “is going to be essentially run by the Obama campaign,” adding that the end of the primary process would dramatically shift their fundraising fortunes, allowing the DNC to begin to erase the massive cash edge enjoyed by its Republican counterpart.

“There’s not going to be a coordination problem and there certainly isn’t going to be a fundraising problem,” said Dean.

At a press conference with Democratic officials at the Democratic National Committee Tuesday afternoon, Dean pointed to the DNC staff on the ground in all 50 states since the 2004 elections - just hours after Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager, Steve Hildebrand, made a similar boast in a fundraising e-mail.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid added that efforts to coordinate the DNC with the cash-rich Senate and House election committees have been underway for years.

“With Obama now having the nomination, this DNC is going to hit the ground running, we’re in good shape,” said Reid.

The Obama campaign announced last week that Dean would remain at the helm of the DNC, and sent senior Obama aide Paul Tewes to oversee the collaboration with the national party.

“This is an extraordinary time for the Democratic Party,” said DNC Chairman Howard Dean on Monday, “we’ve come to the end of a long primary season, a hard-fought race between two of the most talented people who have ever run for president in this party. And we congratulate Senator Obama and we’re working with him at the DNC already to make sure he is the next president of the United States.”

Flanked by Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed concerns that disappointed Hillary Clinton supporters might turn to John McCain, whose campaign has stepped up efforts to woo them.

“Women and blue collar workers, whatever their race, have the most to gain by the election of Barack Obama as president of the United States and the most to lose by the election of John McCain,” Pelosi told CNN's Kathleen Koch.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. s

after all the crappy political ticker that are divisive for the dem party. you guys then post 'party unity'... you're slowly becoming a joke CNN.

dem '08

June 10, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  2. Daniel from FL

Democrats unite!!

Obama, America needs you!

June 10, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  3. Racist Statements from Obama's Books

Unified?.....................Who are they kidding?

I haven't seen so much division in my lifetime.

Yeah.......stand there and paint a pretty picture.

Come November............we'll paint over that palette.

June 10, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. Mike

Nancy is so happy now that she gets to remain the "top female honcho."

Where is Hillary?

After Senator Clintons speech on Saturday, I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach!

Hillary, I still wear your "Support Hillary" pins; Obama makes me want to puke!

June 10, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. martin

the only thing left is shutting up the hillary's.

June 10, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. 1st Mrs. McCain is the HERO

....... Unite for the real change for America..

June 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  7. Nanc, MN

Oops, sorry DNC. Spent my extra money, such as it is, in supporting Hilliary. Sorry, nothing left for Obama, and I still feel my donations went to the right person.

June 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  8. Nom Deplume

Hard to do when no one wants to be on the same stage as the farthest left nominee in our lifetimes.

Of course, Barack can make himself look more conservative–he can make Bernie Sanders his running mate.

June 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  9. Chris In California

I am ashamed to see two women, Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer, trying to manipulate other women in this country to vote for Barack Obama and to try to give Obama the power to disenfranchise women in this country even more than we have already been disenfranchised. I think it is disgraceful!

I do not think much of Nancy Pelosi anyway, but my family once campaigned for Barbara Boxer here in California. So, to hear her rhetoric today was nauseating.

With all of the sexism that was so pervasive in this Democratic nomination race, these two new "New Millenium" women have nothing to say about the fact that the BEST candidate in this election from the beginning was a the Woman, Hillary Clinton, and that the man who is the presumptive Democratic nominee now wants to count her out??? And, they are okay with this???

I am disgusted with the Democratic Party, MY Party!

I think these are just two women who do not think much of other women doing Obama's dirty work. That is what I think. And, I think Obama may be crossing a line that he will not be able to cross back over. I think all of this will bring about the loss of the White House AGAIN for the Democratic Party!

June 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. Richard

Hillary cry babies, you are the reason why women have to struggle so hard to advance. You lose, then blame it on sexism, or unfairness, or whatever other nonsense.

You shame all the women that came before you to fight for your rights today.

Now go make me a sandwich.

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. L.V. from Minnesota

Obama is the King of the DNC!!!!

As an Obamabot... I cant even believe that!!!

You see he allredy made the DNC stop accepting that funny money.... that PAC and fed Lobbyist crap.

Wait until he gets in that White House!!!! I want him to immediately go to congress and whip em with that stick that he got the other day.... just start whippin em... until they get on board for change... whether Dem or Republican... whuppp em all Obama!!

Obama/Huckabee 08 <<<<<<<<<<<lets really unite this country!!
    ......................^
    ......................^
    ......................^
    ......................^ anybody but McBillary!!

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  12. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

WHAT A GORGEOUS LADY INSIDE & OUT.

AND YES WE WILL SUPPORT OUR PARTY.

WE NEED A SERIOUS TURNAROUND.

WE ARE GIVING THE JOB TO THE RIGHT PERSON,

WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE SUPPORTING HIM.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  13. Susie

That is the way it should be. united you stand the stronger the America will be in the world.
    Canada for Obama

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. Peggy - Tx

Nancy Pelosi is sure demonstrating that she has strong leadersip capabilities.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. R. Grayson

Please folks - it's time to lay the bitterness and hard feelings aside. This election is about the future course of our nation. It really matters that we carefully consider and vote for someone who has our interests at heart.

We have to end the war. We have to develop a new relationship with other nations. We should bring our soldiers home, not just from Iraq. We need to develop non-petroleum fuel sources. We have the science, we have the engineers, but what we need is leadership. These things are important.

Set aside the recent rivalries. We need to look forward.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. Billy J Austin, TX

Believe it when I see it. My wife and I already gave our extra cash (400 dollars) to Edwards and Clinton. I can't see coughing up more for a candidate that I have so little confidence in. Although I love his speeches and will certainly vote for him, I feel like this is going to be a disappointing coming 4 years no matter who gets in.

June 10, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. Patrick Peavy Plano,TX

I have always hated Nancy Pelosi. I can't quite figure out why. I wish she would just take a line from L.L. and go back to Cali.

June 10, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  18. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

This is VERY true... Mrs Pelosi. but you are forgetting.... PEOPLE ARE STUPID!

and will self-righteously VOTE AGAINS THEIR OWN BEST INTERESTS TIME-AND-AGAIN.

anyway... i wish the Democratic party luck.

June 10, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  19. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

MY, MY, PELOSI SOUNDS LATINA TO ME.

JUST LOVE IT ALL DAY LONG.

June 10, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Brian Knoxville, TN

The undemocratic Democratic Party promotes unity with the strongest members of its own base that it has totally failed with its selected nominee, eh? What a joke.

Obama was too unknown, inexperienced and unquaiified to run for the office of President of the United States, and all the failed leaders of the undemocratic Democratic Party who enabled his candidacy will soon be forced to resign for political malpractice and a betrayal of our trust.

Wait for the multiple October surprises… Obama will have a worse month in October than he did in March/April. There are already reports that a male member of Trinity United Church in Chicago named Larry Sinclair has signed an affidavit that says that in 1999 he did drugs and had sex with Barack Obama and that, as part of an effort to keep him quiet last year, David Axelrod threatened him.

That’s what you get for selecting an unknown candidate as the party’s nominee…

PUMA DEMOCRAT

June 10, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  21. Anna- feminist Ohio

Nancy makes me sick!

she has done the worst job in history as Speaker

I use to cheer for her bc she was a woman but now i see how poorly she is handling her job.

This feminist will be voting McCain in Nov.

I am sick of the democrats taking womens votes granted!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  22. jett johnson

Pelosi is a lame duck...I had such high hopes for her too, but she's proven what type of woman and american she is during the democratic primaries.

June 10, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. mcCain 08

McCain has this won and we don't need a bunch of screaming women. Hillary supporters can go way now and vote for Ron Paul or something. We don't need you and we don"t answer to you.

McCain 08,12

June 10, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. The Lady

Let's go Democrats.

June 10, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  25. Gwen NC

Very disappointed w/Pelosi's ability, is there another woman who could do a better job?

June 10, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |