June 10th, 2008

Primaries over, Democrats promote unity

Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic officials told reporters Tuesday the party is united behind Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Tuesday that the national party “is going to be essentially run by the Obama campaign,” adding that the end of the primary process would dramatically shift their fundraising fortunes, allowing the DNC to begin to erase the massive cash edge enjoyed by its Republican counterpart.

“There’s not going to be a coordination problem and there certainly isn’t going to be a fundraising problem,” said Dean.

At a press conference with Democratic officials at the Democratic National Committee Tuesday afternoon, Dean pointed to the DNC staff on the ground in all 50 states since the 2004 elections - just hours after Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager, Steve Hildebrand, made a similar boast in a fundraising e-mail.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid added that efforts to coordinate the DNC with the cash-rich Senate and House election committees have been underway for years.

“With Obama now having the nomination, this DNC is going to hit the ground running, we’re in good shape,” said Reid.

The Obama campaign announced last week that Dean would remain at the helm of the DNC, and sent senior Obama aide Paul Tewes to oversee the collaboration with the national party.

“This is an extraordinary time for the Democratic Party,” said DNC Chairman Howard Dean on Monday, “we’ve come to the end of a long primary season, a hard-fought race between two of the most talented people who have ever run for president in this party. And we congratulate Senator Obama and we’re working with him at the DNC already to make sure he is the next president of the United States.”

Flanked by Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed concerns that disappointed Hillary Clinton supporters might turn to John McCain, whose campaign has stepped up efforts to woo them.

“Women and blue collar workers, whatever their race, have the most to gain by the election of Barack Obama as president of the United States and the most to lose by the election of John McCain,” Pelosi told CNN's Kathleen Koch.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mike

It's hilarious seeing Clinton supporters treat Nancy Pelosi the exact same way they accuse us of treating Senator Clinton. Talk about blind double-standards.

Morons.

June 10, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. Ike

Now they want to unite, but sat around and said nothing when Clinton was carved up by the media and members of her own party: Nancy Pelosi included. So much for unity.

June 10, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Vig

Today I received a DNC survey in the mail and of course, a pitch for money. I wrote back that I would not waste my time filling out their survey because the DNC did absolutely nothing and said nothing to protest the degrading and shabby treatment HRC received at the hands of the media. B.O. never said a word – why should he – he was the beneficiary of HRC's degradation. I have been a life long Democrat and this week I will be switching to Independent and support a write-in movement & inform people they can write-in HRC's name on the November ballot. The DNC should be ashamed of themselves and they no longer speak for me.

June 10, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  4. Bill

Apparently there is a requirement on all the news stations that the word "barackobama" (yes, one word) must be uttered at least once every 20 seconds. Just an observation but true.

June 10, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. Mike Lorain, OH

I love how Hillary supporters are still calling other Dems names simply because they didn't support Hillary. Doris...grow up and stop acting like a child/Republican

June 10, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  6. GR

Nancy Pelosi does not have to continue to be Speaker Of The House forever. She should watch HER position and quit trying to tell those of us who supported Hillary that we are united. I will decide what I am.

June 10, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  7. Seah

LOL Nancy Pelosi is dreaming.

Pelosi, Dean, brazzie and obama, destroyed the democratic party

She best get Obama's people to pray. Maybe she can log in his site and post it on the pray board.

Pelosi, Dean, brazzie and obama have done more damage to this country than bush has.

June 10, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. Amy

Nancy Pelosi can dismiss whatever concerns she wants. Nobody can force voters to go with Obama in the Fall. Nobody can gain from electing a ultra liberal in the WH. What is next? communism?

June 10, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. NANCY PELOSI, CNN, MSNBC, DNC

GOOD LUCK TRYING TO UNITE THE PARTY. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY ADULT LIFE I CAN TAKE 4 MORE YEARS OF THE REPUBLICANS. I WILL NEVER VOTE REPUBLICAN, THEREFORE, I AM GOING TO STAY HOME. YES I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE HAD TO BE A WINNER & A LOSER BUT THE WAY THEY TREATED MRS CLINTON IS UNACCEPTABLE. A PRICE NEEDS TO BE PAID – PERIOD!! YOUR MEDIA DARLING BHO DOES NOT REALLY NEED US

June 10, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. Paula

It's good that the party has united behind Obama.All the Hillary supporters need to do the same.If they really cared about her anyway they would have sent in donations to bail out her campaign.I think about half of that 18 million were republicans trying to work the system.All the true Dems will unite behind Obama because we can't afford to have any more troops murdered in Iraq.If you want to see more young people come home in a box then go ahead and vote for MCain.It's a selfish thing but if Hillary's supporters are that crazy then they wouldn't care what happens to our America anyway.

June 10, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. Wildcat

Exactly, Nancy Pelosi needs to wake up out of her "dream world" – there will be no party unity come August or come November. They gave the nomination to the weakest candidate. The Democrats way of determining "delegates" is a joke. Do it the Repulican "winner take all" way and Hillary had this wrapped up months ago. You see, the caucus states that Obama likes to talk about (and I live in one of them) – they will vote Republican and they wil not matter to the Democrats in Nov.

Caucuses are a joke. They do not represent the true will of the people. There either need to be primaries or forget it because throwing a few hundred people together in a room to hash out who those select few will vote for is very UN-Democratic.

June 10, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. Muratha

I do not like her she did not like Hillary. I thought she want to be only one women in Democrats everyone will spotlight to her.

June 10, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. Ula Nejad

People are afraid to let the facts known about the race issue with a black candidate for President. Obama's prayer everyday it does not pop its ugly head up because this would bring out his fist bumping wife who spoke openly about the fact of race in a country that was meant for whites. Pelosi, Reid and the whole DNC gang are all guilty and hoping that the ordinary people and ardent Clinton supporters don't recognize that the Democratic Party made an economical blunder in American History by putting America at risk within its own boarders. US threat to Iraq come nowhere to DNC blunder. I don't think this Democrat legislators know what they are doing or understand the depth of Superpower and what it means for America and the world. I would fire them all by voting McCain. McCain is playing right into Obamas hands by not playing tough on the fist bumping wife and what their beliefs are and loyalty lie.

June 10, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  14. Amy from MIchigan

Pelosi is right, we all have nothing to lose my backing Barack Obama, and everything in the world to gain! The Republicans have run our economy, our reputation, and our independence into the ground, and it will take all of us-black, white, hispanic, asian, rich, poor, educated, etc.-to dig ourselves out! Let's get to work, and back Obama.

June 10, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  15. Bill Jay

Nancy is a trader.....................she is acting weird..............most likely
    she does not like Hillary.
    I'm in McCain's corner.

June 10, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. BIG WIG

I was not satisfy with her speech. It was dull, void of emotion and showed no sign of remorse for trying to destroy his character. It was a case of if I can't get it , you'll never win. She was still campaigning for herself. She is still in denial. She can't believe he came from behind and won it. Don't hate, OBAMA 08.

At your service sir. Mr. President Obama.

June 10, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. Trish

Well, Doris, I think party unity around the supreme court alone would be convincing, but the almost identical policies of Hillary and Obama matter little to you. I wonder why such hatred?

June 10, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  18. We the people

Nancy Pelosi sure seems happy. I certainly have been disappointed in her leadership. She has done nothing to help AMerica but smile. I was very disappointed in her rejection of Hillary Clinton. It is fine now, but she wanted her off the ticket before people even had a chance to vote. I wish she would go home.

June 10, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  19. pam

Wow, Doris you are so full of hate. Did you not get a hug as a child? Obama and Clinton have similar ideas. Now that she is no longer a candidate, why would you want to go to another candidate who is so different than Clinton and Obama? M-m. Come on Doris you can't be...Can you? Quit being so afraid. Obama won't bite...regardless of all of the uglies you have heard about people who look different than you, there is no reason to be afraid. McCain is someone who you should fear. Pray over it Doris. Our country is in ruins, the wealthiest people have been receiving breaks for the last 8 years, and they did not ask for it! McCain will place the most conservative justice in the Supreme Court. Before you go for the kill DORIS, READ THE FACTS...CLOSE YOUR EYES, and then pick a candidate. We cannot continue to hate our fellow Americans.

June 10, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  20. Phillip W

Wow, what does it take to get a comment moderated around here? Do I need to say something flattering to Clinton?

June 10, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  21. maya

PA-THE-TIC.

June 10, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  22. Patty

So does unity mean that it relies only on how much money can be raised? I guess that is why most of the uppers like Dean, Pelosi etc. were all so favorable to Obama. They seem to view him as a cash cow they can all benefit from rather than the best "candidate for President". Nice to see they backed the one with the best money possibilities for their own interests. How telling is that!

June 10, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. Tell John that it is time for Cindy to tell all!

CNN,

Is this a slow news night? I am so sick of seeing Oklohama Dems Won't

Come ON CNN there must be more news out there!

June 10, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. leonor123456

I wanted Hillary because I wanted a woman
    Obama is not for me

June 10, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  25. Doug

Democrats, here is your choice. Obama or McCain. Other options are not vote or vote Libertarian (same as not voting). Now if you elect McCain, you continue the war in Iraq, allow Republicans to pack the Supreme Court (want to see Roe v Wade overturned?) and continue low taxes for the wealthy and no health care for the needy. Hello??

If you are a Clinton supporter, get over it. I was an Edwards supporter & I got over it. Time to put the good of the country first. All the democrats who were candidates have done that.

June 10, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |