June 10th, 2008

Primaries over, Democrats promote unity

Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic officials told reporters Tuesday the party is united behind Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Tuesday that the national party “is going to be essentially run by the Obama campaign,” adding that the end of the primary process would dramatically shift their fundraising fortunes, allowing the DNC to begin to erase the massive cash edge enjoyed by its Republican counterpart.

“There’s not going to be a coordination problem and there certainly isn’t going to be a fundraising problem,” said Dean.

At a press conference with Democratic officials at the Democratic National Committee Tuesday afternoon, Dean pointed to the DNC staff on the ground in all 50 states since the 2004 elections - just hours after Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager, Steve Hildebrand, made a similar boast in a fundraising e-mail.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid added that efforts to coordinate the DNC with the cash-rich Senate and House election committees have been underway for years.

“With Obama now having the nomination, this DNC is going to hit the ground running, we’re in good shape,” said Reid.

The Obama campaign announced last week that Dean would remain at the helm of the DNC, and sent senior Obama aide Paul Tewes to oversee the collaboration with the national party.

“This is an extraordinary time for the Democratic Party,” said DNC Chairman Howard Dean on Monday, “we’ve come to the end of a long primary season, a hard-fought race between two of the most talented people who have ever run for president in this party. And we congratulate Senator Obama and we’re working with him at the DNC already to make sure he is the next president of the United States.”

Flanked by Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed concerns that disappointed Hillary Clinton supporters might turn to John McCain, whose campaign has stepped up efforts to woo them.

“Women and blue collar workers, whatever their race, have the most to gain by the election of Barack Obama as president of the United States and the most to lose by the election of John McCain,” Pelosi told CNN's Kathleen Koch.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ben - Portland

All right! All we need to do now is actually focus on John McCain, and stop harping on George Bush. I'm afraid that sooner or later, the anti-Bush sentiment will start to wind down and McCain will do a fair enough job of distancing himself from the Bush White House, especially after he comes out with Say-It-Ain't-So! Joe Lieberman as his running mate. I know McCain is just running to set the ground work for the 2010 midterms and 2012 presidential, but democrats tend to have a habit of loosing elections that should be a slam dunk; don't let it happen this time, please.

We really need to get a clear idea of Obama's goals and action items and be able to put those against McCain's weak ideas, and contrast our desire to reach out to other countries against the very real threat of him taking us into Iran.

June 10, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  2. David

Nancy is a mean person. She does not speak for my family when she says the democrats have united. This democrat family is switching to republican and voting for John McCain. We think it is shameful what Nancy, Dean, Ted and other democrats have done in pushing Hillary out. The bias is sad. The democratic party which should have easily won in November is going to loose. Experience is what the country needs at this time; not somebody with less than one year in the Senate and rock star image that talks about change. Change happens every day and we don't need Barack to do it. McCain – real change.

June 10, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. NO TO OBAMA

The DNC is in BIG trouble for choosing the WRONG candidate.

I, ALONG WITH MILLIONS OF VOTERS, WILL RATHER SEE MCCAIN WIN THE ELECTION THAN A LIAR AND A HYPOCRITE. "CHANGE"??? YOU MEAN, "CHANGE' THIS COUNTRY'S SITUATION FROM BAD TO WORSE, RIGHT? OBAMA'S SUPPORTERS ARE IDIOTS, FOLLOWING HIM AND SWOONING OVER HIM, DYING TO TOUCH HIM AND SWOON AGAIN, NEVER TO QUESTION ALL THE CONTROVERSY THAT SURROUNDS HIM.

June 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. too little too late

Sure... I'll buy that.

Party before honor.
    Unity before justice.
    Winning before conscience.

No way.

You all treated HRC with contempt and presented Obama as a Messiah.

June 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  5. TXBad1

Dean and Reid, are you smoking something, you Destroyed the Party the Primary and Super delegates were a Farce on the Voting Demarcates for Hillary! you slapped us in the Face and now think all is ok?? Reality is 16 million of 18 million will not Vote for Obama and will Donate to the Republicans now! do all a Favor and disappear may we suggest a street in Iraq!

June 10, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. Kyle, MI ... former Democrat, now Independent

I wonder where she is getting her information from...

June 10, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  7. Janey fir Hillary/McCain

I think you should be his VP and go down with him in November, Ms Pelosi. Thanks for not supporting women who, no doubt, supported you for your position. just another disloyal democrat and the reason why we are leaving the party in droves. You do not need us, as stated–you have the youth and the "elites".

June 10, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. Kristen

Lets make history Democrats...This is going to be one exciting election year. I for one am ready to go. Obama 08!!!

June 10, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  9. Charlotte

There she goes again. As far as I know he is a presumptive nominee until the convention. Have they changed the law and nobody told me? I wish I lived in her district, I would go door to door to work against her re-election. Pelosi has done nothing to impeach Bush or Cheney. If she worked as hard at her job as she did to push Hillary out so early, Bush wouldn't have a pension or a library to worry about. I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November. I know I can do a write- in in California and I am surprised it is not an option in all states. WHY, is it not?

June 10, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  10. MT

I supported Hillary but I will be voting for Obama in Nov. it makes no sense to vote for McCain. Go OBAMA!!!!!

June 10, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  11. vic nashville,Tn

Please we don’t want to see your face Go away
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

June 10, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  12. Lynn

Susan B. Anthony – No self respecting woman should wish or work for success of a party that ignores her. 1872. This is true today. That is why after being a Democrat my adult life who always voted for Democrats. I am now an Independent.

June 10, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  13. Ostriches burying our heads in the sand

This i good Nancy! We need a united front to win in November!!

June 10, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  14. Brian Knoxville, TN

Speaker Pelosi, failed leader of the undemocratic Democratic Party,

You want unity? You got it. We are unifying and growing by leaps and bounds to stop you and the others within the failed leadership of our party. We’re taking it back and, when we get it back, we’re going to demand that you are one of the first to go.

Count on it.

Sincerely,
    One of the 18 million.
    PUMA DEMOCRAT

June 10, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. Jon

News just in: Nancy Pelosi's face falls off after her botox expires!

June 10, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  16. California Voter

Nancy Pelosi, you are a disgrace to our country.

June 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  17. Chris Morton, Boynton Beach, FL

My wife and I are Florida Hillary Democrats. WE ARE THE HALF- PEOPLE AS DESIGNATED BY THE DNC.

For us to vote democrat (Obama) in November we want two things from the National Committee:

1. For the DNC's dishonesty and victimization of Hillary during the Primary, we need the DNC to reorganize – no more superdelegates, one-person-one-vote, popular vote majority wins.

2. Because of the disgraceful DNC treatment of their Florida voters we need someone in the DNC to admit fault and to fall on their sword. We would like to see the fool, Howard Dean, resign or be fired.

June 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  18. Hypocrit

What made the DNC and the party leaders even THINK that the BASE of the party would be okay with having celebrities, the media, Oprah and Black pundits DICTATE who the party nominee MUST be?

What made you think the sabotage, swifboat tactics, cheating, nastiness, ugliness and hatred of HRC would sit well with so many of us?

What made you think we would be okay with stacking the deck of public opinion and votes towards Obama?

Why would we accept such blatant favoritism of one, discrimination against the other. Raising one up and kicking the other down?

Political correctness? Fear of the race card?

Next time: fair play, no hate, no inequality.

For now... you will have to watch us make our point by leaving the party and with our votes.

June 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. ED FL

I believe we need different and better representation of leaders than congress women Pelosi and senator Reid. The minority Gop,ers make you two look stupid and silly. it is a wonder that your constiuancy reelects each of you.We need leaders who know the rules instead of being made to look silly anytime the GOP decides they want to. You guys were weak as the minority and look worse as the majority.

June 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  20. Ralph

It's all over but the wailing and nashing of teeth from the Repugs come Nov.

June 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  21. Tim

McSame is in serious trouble. We are united!!!

Dem 08/12!!

June 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  22. Kathy

Hey Pelosi, and Dean, here is a message for you to ponder, when you stand up in front of the cameras trying to explain how Obama lost.

These so called “superdelegates” of the party failed their constituents miserably. They chose “change” with no experience over “change” with experience. By doing so, they disenfranchised Clinton supporters and abandoned the strongest candidate to head the ticket. We have carried your water for many years; however we are not allowed to drink from the same well??? No MORE. These party elitist should have pledged their allegiants based on fact-not fiction. Hillary with her tremendous strength, knowledge and courage was tossed aside for an ill-qualified community organizer with two years of Senate experience. I firmly believe Obama to be the weakest candidate to head the ticket. Those same party leaders did not have the courage to realize this and they will pay a price for their stupidity.
    I have been a loyal supporter of the party my entire adult life-No More. You have shown me time and time again that you are gutless and have no clear clue how to win elections. You lack the vision and the wisdom to do anything other than pat your own pockets and run from the truth-for shame. Your actions have forced many of us centralist democrats to seek alliance with the moderate conservative wing of the Republican Party.
    I do not speak for all Hillary supporters, though I do hope I speak for many of them when I say to the party…. you have failed us-you have failed Hillary, and you will once again fail to win the White House, and because of your failure-the party WILL pay a high price. I watched and listen to Hillary ask her supporters to now throw their support to Obama, for the sake of the party. Hillary is a loyalist to the party-why, I’m not sure.
    I respect Hillary tremendously, however the party and the process did her wrong and this cannot stand. YES THIS WILL BE A PROTEST VOTE, a vote against the DNC-you need to clean your act up and remember your core constituents, because “Yes We Can” make a difference. I am not afraid of McCain, he does not represent 4 more years of Bush-no one could possibly be that stupid. I believe him to be a man of honor who will do his best for this country and its people that he cares deeply for, and for that reason I will place my hope with him.
    And to those Obama supporters, I am not “bitter” “old” “ugly” “uneducated” “living in a trailer” “sleeping with my uncle” or “picking my teeth with wood” . I am however, disenfranchised and VERY angry.
    And one last thing, please don’t lecture me about McCain’s record-I know exactly where he stands on all the issues, and I will still cast my vote for him.

June 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  23. maryann

Do not bet the house on unity for your party. You treated Senator Clinton terribly and if i were her supporters I would think long and hard about supporting the democratic party.I as a Canadian was disgusted with the way she was treated and living in a bordertown I hear from quite a few Americans living in Michigan how they feel about what the party did with the votes in Michigan. So good luck to you and the chosen one come November.

June 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. annie

Reid misspoke bho wasn't elected nominee, he was selected. pelosi, women and blue collar workers have the most to lose if your selected candidate wins. We women and blue collar workers ( and there are alot of others out there too) are a tough bunch. We can live thru bad economies and will before we see our country sold down the river by the likes of your selected candidate. Will never vote demo again – not local – not state – not federal! Did you politicians forget you work for American citizens and not the other way around.

June 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  25. clara

the sen. hillary was forced out by theoboma supporters and the supper delgates and delegates i have voted since i was 18 and this has been the worst election i have seen it didn't have nothing to do with a man running for the demecorate party it had to do with a women period they were out to get her on the get go because they knew sher would beat mCcain you republincs didn't have a woman running so it all boiled down to her not being a man

June 10, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |