June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. bill for barack

I live in Ohio. Take a good hard look at my state's economy. Take notice of the scandal involving our now-former A.G. Marc Dann, a close personal friend of Strickland's.
    He doesn't deserve to be considered for the national ticket.

June 10, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. Paul, Riverside, CA

It's funny how immature the comments are regarding politicians by grown adults.

June 10, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  3. Paul, Riverside, CA

I have yet to find one concrete comment regarding any position by a Republican about a Democrat.

So he didn't want the job, BIG DEAL!!! As for Edwards, he said a while back he didn't want the job. So where is the burn?

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. WH

Proud To Be A democrat......................would you happen to be proud while attending school on your parent's dime? If so please tell them to get a refund becasue no educated person should have to resort to spew such hatred with insignifigant word choices to get their point across.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. EC

Ha... you have to know just because you're on Barack's short list .. doesn't mean he's on theirs. Some people understand what a mess having a very liberal solicalist dem running for pres and being on their ticket can be political sucide. Even Senator Clinton would have to think twice.. perhaps three times. Right now.. she's on a very much needed vacation thinking about her options and what her future will be. Barack.. just because Senator Clinton is out of the race doesn't mean she won't be out of the headlines. You are following in big footsteps and your lofers doesn't seem to fit the size needed. The Dem. Party is worried about Clinton supporters. They should have thought about that a couple of weeks ago. Bring out Ms. Pelosi and Dean today will do nothing to ease the disappointment of how Senator Clinton was treated by Barack's supporters/party and the rest of the dem. party heads. She deserved R E S P E C T! So yea, we will stay home, write in her name or vote elsewhere. I was embarrased to be a Dem. this political season and alot has to do with those who want Change.. or the Obama supporters. He didn't throw the mud.. he allowed all his rude supporters to do that. Now that they need Clinton's votes they continue to throw it if you don't vote for Barack. I don't see any change there. I only see people who call names, who are angry that they are not automatically getting Senator Clinton's votes and who think they can demand our votes. I was given the right to choose to vote for someone and I choose to vote for the person I think is the best experienced leader. It isn't a man who for 20 yrs sat in church knocking white americans each sunday.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. AoA - Seattle

What am I missing...was this guy ever asked to be a VP? I guessed I missed that part. Buddy, wait until someone asks...somone other than a Clinton supporter suggesting you should be VP. I didn't know reporters represented Obama now. How slow are these these folks really??

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  7. Bob,Palm Springs Ca.

ProundToBeADemocrat.......At least all of us Hillary Supporters are intelligent enough to know how to spell "PROUD". Which obviously you Arrogant Obama supporters don't. I've voted in 11 Presidential elections and I've never seen such a group of supporters so arrogant and obnoxious as the Obama supporters that choose to post on these sites. All you've done the entire Primary Campaign is call Hillary every derogatory name you could think of and now you just expect all of Hillary's supporters to just forget in the name of "unity" and support and vote for Obama. That's just not going to happen. Hillary has to do what she did and we all know that she has to ask all of us to unite now and support Obama but Hillary's supporters can do now exactly what THEY WANT TO DO and if that's to vote for McCain, then that's what we'll do. The National Media kept underestimating Hillary and her supporters the entire Primary Campaign and believe me they are once again underestimating by 'Overestimating" the number of Hillary supporters that they say in the end will come home and Vote for Obama. The Damage has been done and it's not going to be repaired by pleas of Unity or promises. The Hate spewed by Obama supporters against Hillary, as you can still see by your Post, will not be forgotten or forgiven so it's now "McCain Gets My Vote" for a lot of us.
    Rob, Palm Springs

June 10, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. greg

Mr Stickland, do not worry my friend.....OBAMA WILL NOT ASK YOU OR HILIARY!

greg

June 10, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. JCB

"Obam will be our next president period." Well, this Democrat won't vote from him. Way to go Gov!

When people say that Obama is going to choose poeple from both parties to help him lead, I say he is trying to develop a one party system. That dog don't hunt!

June 10, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. Em Hunt

Obama should chose another black to be his VP, anyway 150% of blacks vote for blacks only. And the blacks say, they are the chosen people to run America now, and we'd better get used to it.

June 10, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Holden Litgo

Not sure why everybody thinks it's so interesting that someone comes out and says they don't want to join the ranks of such luminaries as Agnew, Quayle, Cheney, Daddy Bush, Gore, Mondale, etc. It has nothing to do with the top of the ticket or how heartfelt the endorsement is. It's a second-rate job, literally. A fellow can do much more for the people, if service is their priority, as a governor than a VP.

June 10, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  12. Clinton P

Hillary supporters need to pack it in. The popular vote claim is debatable, and in all other categories, she lost. You stubborn, immature, childish morons need to get it thru your head that Obama and Hill-Bill would run the country in a very similar fashion. To suggest mccain over obama now that hillarys gone is an almost absurd argument when you look at the issues. Bill Clinton is one of the most brilliant minds in America today and hes going to vote for Obama. i hope all you dedicated hill-heads come to your senses and stop insulting your own intelligence

June 10, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. Amy

It's so interesting to me how Hilary supporters keep refering to sexism. The fact is that we live in a country where the majority of people have lots of prejudices. Yes, sexism played a part in the primaries, but so did racism. If you think women have it tough in the 'old boys club', never forget that blacks have suffered as well. Hilary talks of 90-year old women born when women could not vote, please do not forget african american who were stuggling to be seen as human beings. The only difference is that Obama did not make other people's prejudice central to his campaign message. Had he lost this primary, I am sure he would not have mentioned Racism or prejudice. The only thing this achieves is enraging your supporters, as we see in the case of Hilary's fans.

To get back to the issue, who knows what Strickland's reason's are? Whatever it is, he shoulda kept his trap shut. He should not be mouthing off about never wanting to be VP when really nobody has asked him to be VP.

For Obama supporter's that think Hilary is undermining his campaign behind the scenes, we all need to let go of the conspiracy theories and be optimistic that she will hold true to her words. Hilary is a tough person to like, I know, but we've all got to quit blaming her. It achieves nothing and only divides the party. Let her supporters vent, let them vote as they may. Let them be.

There is so much emotion in this campaign and if all this bickering does not end soon, people will not vote with their heads or with any logic.

And for those of you that can never vote for an African American under any circumstance, please, go ahead and vote for McCain. As the economy gets even worse, and you lose your job and can't feed your kids, at least you would have had the satisfaction of voting for a fellow caucasian right? It's all perfectly logical to you right?

June 10, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. Loretta from California

Yes, very interesting.

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. T.Brown

United does NOT = Obama + Hillary. He has EVERY right to choose his OWN running mate. And, I'm sorry, you all (and Senator Clinton) KNEW this race was about delegates from day 1!!!! STOP acting like Obama "stole" this election and recognize the fact that this relatively "unknown," "inexperienced," "unknowledgeable" candidate came out of NOWHERE and raced RIGHT PAST the "shoo-in" candidate (and I do respect most aspects of Sen. Clinton).
    ** Also, recognize that JUST as many people, perhaps more (think: caucuses minus "beauty contests") voted for this "inexperienced" and "undeserving" candidate. Face it naysayers, you're in the MINORITY!!! Or didn't you know that, lol?

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. anonymous

Dear Gov. Strickland,

I don't know how to thank you enough. You're the best. I am from CA, but you are a wonderful man. I wish I was in Ohio. Thank you for being such a wonderful and loyal man. I will never forget you.

Anonymous

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Nevada female voter for Obama

Right on, Texan! My guess? His problem is he is from OHIO. I hadn't even heard of this guy until he came up on the list of potential VP "contenders". I pray HRC is not on that list!

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Len

OHIO: redddddddddddddddd neckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks

len

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. Sebastian

Sorry to hear that Ted Strickland.

I thought you were one of the top 5 potential VP selections that would help the party win the presidency and both houses of Congress in the fall.

With that, the members of your state, who have been hardest hit by this Bush inspired economic malaise, could have a path to a brighter future.

Team – let's vett General Clark, Senator Jim Webb and Govenor Sebelius well.

June 10, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. Marc

Everyone seems to be ranting about choosing McCain over Obama as if Obama somehow stole the nomination from Clinton. Who was it that won the most states regardless of size? Who won the most pledged delegates? Who won the most super delegates?

To the Hillary supporters I understand backing your candidate but please understand she LOST fair and square. Maybe you didn't vote for him, but obviously the people of the United States DID.

Clinton and Obama are much closer on the issues than McCain ever will be. Do you want what is best for the country like you say or do you just want your own way. Vote the issues not the candidate!

June 10, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. J-M

Ssshheeesssh CNN, do you think you guys pander enough to make things seem like they're not?

Strickland has HUGE problems back home in Ohio, he's in the middle of a scandal, so he's not prime for the picking. Plus, he's facing major health problems that rarely go reported. Yet you try to portray this as some 'Anti-Obama' sentiment?

Shame on you.

June 10, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  22. 2sandjay

is it possible he said no because they all will say no to help Hillary to become the vice present .

June 10, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  23. Terri

I live in Ohio and Strickland sucks!!!!!!!! So good he has done everyone a favor

Go Obama

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. JB

This is to EJAHAN.

You are just a stupid racist who just can not git it over with that may a blackman might one day be our president.

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  25. Amy

And for female Hilary supporters out there that are crying foul, think how foul it will be when McCain fills up the supreme court with uber-conservative judges that will immdiately overturn Roe v Wade. All that women have fought for for so long will go down the drain because we never stopped to see the big picture. I understand your outrage, but is it worth losing your right to choose just because you are angry? Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |