June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. John

These comments confirm that a great many people in this country are so brain dead that they should not be allowed within a mile of the polls in November. After eight years of total destruction of our great country by the Republicans these people continue to support the traitors who have wiped out this country. They deserve every thing that will surely happen if another Republican is elected to the White House. To bad the rest of us would have to suffer also.
    John

June 10, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. vic nashville,Tn

Good Job
    That is good idea away from Obama
    I want Obama and Democratic party lose in November
    From Hillary supporter and life long democrat

June 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  3. Angela Frazier, Memphis TN

Really, it is not like he is all that! Outside of Ohio, who even knows or cares who he is?

And for Kathy and all you people who refuse to let Hillary go, I am in search of a 12 Step Program for you!

June 10, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. Peter E

Governors are very happy with the much less publicized corruption on the state level that fattens their wallet. They don't need the VP slot that comes with barely more corrupt money at the cost of constant scrutiny.

June 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  5. Jon

Back to propane for you, Strickland.

June 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  6. Dumb Clinton supporters

Coming from his racist state I guess we know why?

June 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  7. bayou

Yesterday I was "opinion polled". The lady asked my affiliation – democrat – then said she'd be marking me down for Obama. I said "wait one .... I'm a Clinton democrat and unless I see a Clinton name on the ticket, this child is voting for McCain. " Obama frightens me.

June 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  8. Marlie:

I can't read these blogs any more. No matter what the topic is, the Hillary supporters have to get on and whine. Well, I'm one that is sick of it. GROW Up! all of you – and just go away.

June 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  9. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Strickland knows that Queen Hillary is listening so he has to pretend that he is GUNG HO against accepting the job. He knows that Hillary wants it so bad. He is playing the political game. Being loyal.

June 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. MB

Mr Change can't get anyone to hang around with him.

June 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. reject her

I am so glad 18 million plus rejected dumb Hillary. America is too racist to elect a black man, so McStupid will get elected and Hillary's dumb supporters will lose their homes, get further in debt, have more rights taken away and their children will die. Meanwhile, I'll make money off of these dummies from his administration's tax cuts...Thank you dummies!

June 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. vahe

we dont need you anyways

June 10, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  13. California Voter

He can always ask Jimmy Carter if everyone else turns him down. !

June 10, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  14. Debbie Maha

It won't matter because i will vote not vote for Obama. Nobama 08. McCain is my man.

June 10, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  15. California Voter

Ratgurl: It takes one to know one! ha, ha, ha

June 10, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  16. Indyvoter4Hillary

Someone explain to me why I should support Obama now? Just because I supported Hillary does not mean I have to jump on the Obama train. If I wanted to support Obama I would have from the start.
    As an indy voter I do not back the DNC.
    I happen to like Hillary's plan for green collar jobs and her ideas for health care.
    Yes, Hillary lost and yes I wish things would have gone her way but they did not. I have two choices vote for McCain or vote for someone else. It just won't be Obama.

June 10, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Loretta from California

Biden has made it perfectly clear that he will support the Democratic nominee, and it doesn't matter who that nominee is. He is a man of courage and the strength. A TRUE DEMOCRAT with qualities that I do admire. With that said, we may need him to remain where he is because all the other Dems on Capital Hill have been appearing a little weak lately.

June 10, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. xddy4u

The all of you are missing the point. Sure he wouldn't mine being on the ticket. But how would this go down, he being a stout Hillary supporter, konwing that Hillary want the spot, jump at the first chance of being VP? Beside they are only checking who want to and those who doesn't, that will shorten the list even more. A none Hillary supporter will accept the spot, because he will feel that he don't owe Hillary anything. This by no means indicate that Obama will have trouble filling the ticket, he will not. There are many qualified potentials just waiting to be asked. President Obama '08

June 10, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  19. Hal

Here we go again. Don't agree with Obama and the name calling starts. That is sure a way to get the ones who wanted Clinton to come on your side. Call us names and we will not vote at all.

June 10, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. LJ

DEMOCRATS ARE GOING TO FLOOD THE POLLS IN NOVERMBER. YOU THINK WE TURNED OUT IN RECORD NUMBERS FOR THE PRIMARIES, JUST WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER. MCCAIN DON'T HAVE A CHANCE. REPUBLICANS POSING AS HILLIARY SUPPORTERS, MCCAIN IS TOAST. ALL YOU DO IS MOTIVATE DEMOCRATS TO COME OUT AND VOTE FOR OBAMA. THE MAJORITY OF HILLIARY SUPPORTERS WILL VOTE OBAMA. YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYONE. THANKS FOR MOTIVATING US TO REGISTER NEW VOTERS AND GET EVERYONE INVOLVED TO COME OUT AND VOTE FOR OBAMA WITH YOUR THREATS. GO OBAMA!!!

June 10, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  21. Chill-Out, Phoenix, AZ

I see there's still alot of sore loser Clintonites still crying over their spilled milk. Interesting to see how HRC supporters are definitely not as "TOUGH" as their candidate was. You're still looking for any excuse to blame Obama for HRC's poorly run campaign. I know the truth hurts but face reality and read all the analysis of how you and HRC blew what should have been a cakewalk to the nomination.

As for Strickland not everyone wants to be No. 2 especially if they have plans for being No. 1 someday or they have skeletons that will bite them during the vetting process.

Also I'm sick of you people threatening to vote for McSame. Please go ahead as you are guaranteeing that your children and grandchildren will be doing tours of duty in Iraq and/or Iran. You can start picking their body armor now.

June 10, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  22. Women In California for Obama

Women In California for Obama June 10th, 2008 7:13 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I personally no longer care how anyone votes. As for me, I will be supporting Obama ALL the way to the WH. As far as those Clinton supporters leaving the party, PLEASE LEAVE because you are in for a real awakening when most blacks leave the party in 2012 because of the way you have treated Sen. Obama. I will be leading the charge! Mark my words if you think you are going to keep "using" us year after year and then when we find someone we believe in and we need YOU to be supportive of US-we are called "racists." Racists. No one called us that in the past when we were voting for people of non-color. All of this talk about "leaving the party." I NEVER once left the party no matter how much I disliked the nominee (Al Gore). I am disgusted and completely over this election. Demanding Obama pay off HRC's debts and demanding he pick her as VP-who do you people think you are? As I said we will see who has the last laugh. This is already being discussed in beauty shops. I and my family and friends (CA, FL, AL and TX) will campaign vigorously AGAINST the democratic party starting in 2011 and I am sure MANY feel the same way. There are other parties looking for OUR support. So go right ahead and you will go down in history as "The Fall of the Democratic Party". I have had enough.

June 10, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  23. Fed Up

Right now you Republicans and Democrats, Hillary and Barack supporters sound like backward, ignorant savages. Your colours are showing and the world is watching!!! If America wants to be respected around the world you have to first show respect for yourselves. You have a democratic system, there are two parties and it would be advisable for you to respect that.

It's a sad day in American history when a candidate looses outright and her supporters try to cry foul. The process of nomination has always been the same, if you loose by one vote – you loose. Why have superdelegates if they can't do what they were intended to do?. In following the primaries, it was fair as it has always been over the years. Who who changed the rules? Senator Obama was winning all the way until it was too late for Senator Clinton to catch up – she lost.

Why are you so bitter on both sides? If Senator Obama was white would you behave this way? If Senator Clinton was a man would you behave this way?

Ignorance can ruin a country – just look at what is happening the dollar!! Continue on this path and before long America will be joining the ranks of the "third world". Shame on you guys!!

June 10, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  24. Jane from Minnesota

I'm struck by the tone of the previous comments; so much hatred, so much negative energy. Who and what does that help? If you are so against one candidate, get up and march yourself into a field office of your preferred candidate and volunteer. Work the phone banks! Knock on doors! Enter data... but stop complaining!

For all who lament the fact that Hillary did not win the party's nomination, obviously there are more out there who did not want her. Obama is the candidate of choice, chosen by the Democratic public.

It's time to get Hillary off the pedestal and focus on the intelligence, vision and energy that Senator Obama has brought to this country.

June 10, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  25. Want an answer

Obama's mother is "white" and father is "black." Why do people identify him as "black" instead of "white" or "gray"? Seriously, a mixed race?

June 10, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |