June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Watching around the world

Good to know.

June 10, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Hillary Supporter To The End

Way to go. I hope others react the same way. As Governor of Ohio, I watched you in your effort to help Ms. Clinton win and you did a wonderful job. You and Mr. Rendel are my favorite governors and I come from the State of Minnesota.

Thank you for your support of Hillary Clinton. I continue to do so.

June 10, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. Cody

Ted, you're a good governor. But you should have just said no. Now you sound like you really don't support Obama. Be careful how you say these things....

June 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Bayousara

Many posters have said how they will be glad when all the Bushes and Clintons are out of the White House. How we need to end those political dynasties and go for "change."

I have to laugh that one member of the vice presidential search committee is Caroline Kennedy.

June 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Hmm

Why does he have to give such comments in the press? Why can't he just keep these strong feelings to himself? Is he secretly working for McCain?

June 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Cath

Here we go....Hillary is playing her game behind the scene!!! Hmmmm, an Ohio governor who wouldn't take the VP job when all you hear is how Ohio is going to be in play this election...and he backed Clinton! She does not want Sen. Obama to win and whether she tries to act like she will campaign for him and go all over she will NOT be doing it wholeheartedly!! And she's taking a monthlong vacation in Martha's Vineyard!!! Please, she's behind the scenes to those who backed her and she's letting them know that she WILL BE available in 2012 if she has anything to do with it....just when you think she can't get more disgusting and appalling, guess what!!!!

June 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Willam from Texas

He knows that Hillary is the only one for the job.

Obama/Clinton 08

June 10, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. outside looking in

for all of you so called democrats who will vote for mccain so Hillary can run again in 2012. Beware the same thing can be done to your candidate in 2012. You think you have the big end of the stick yet you have no stick at all. HAHAHA!!!

June 10, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Jason

Attention DNC: this is what you get for casting aside a more qualified Presidential nominee

June 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Matt--Nebraska

Like rats from a sinking ship....

June 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. Fed up in Ohio

Good, He certainly hasn't done much in Ohio since we elected him. It would be nice to get rid of him, but I wouldn't wish him on Obama. There are many more qualifed VP options.

June 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Keyon

See this is what I'm talkig about devision in the party with Clinton supporters. Just because she lost, that does not means he ( The Ohio Gov.), can't support Sen. Obama. He should be happy he's name came up. Sen. Obama and he's team need to pray and ask God who should been VP.

June 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. Matthew, Philadelphia, PA

HAHAHA!!! Expect the same from Governor Rendell in PA. And these two are the only ones who have the clout to effectively deliver a key swing state to Obama. Neither wants to go down with the sinking ship that will be the Obama general election campaign.

June 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. COL.{retd]A.M.Khajawall

Dear American Voters,

Hon. Senator McCain and Obama, besides each having many attributes and characteristics. The critical differences between the two of these presidential presumptive nominees are as under:

1. Presidential "Temperament and Composer".
    2. Little Washington "insider Versus outsider" experience.
    3. "Vision and mission" for our nation future rather than past.
    4. American policies, " first U.S.A Centric" than any other country [ ies ] centric.

In my professional opinion Senator Obama leads in all above qualities.

The need of our next movement and generation is a change. The Change in " past Washington and its Leadership". A change we can believe in and not the seductive, deceptive, and confusing slogan of "leader we can believe in" [? Effexor ?".

Our Greatgrand Nation has to address many present and future challenges and start with new clean "Slate and Senator".

God Bless America. its diverse people, and our Greatgrand Nation.

Our Greatgrand Nation is needs the CHANGE at every level and for long time.

I am sure Senator Obama with the help of Senator Clinton and her supporters, can deliver that CHANGE.

Please stay involved, stay engaged, and stay informed. Please do not allow any seduction, deception, and or confusion by some partisan media and leaders effect your vote [ Psychological Terrorism ]..

Yours truly,

COL. [retd] A.M.Khajawall
    Disabled American Veteran
    Forensic psychiatrist, Las Vegas

June 10, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Ann Tennis

Now, Hillary Clinton needs to do the exact same thing!

June 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  16. Marc PDX

Obama already knows who he is going to pick (and who he's not going to pick...Hillary). But he has to go through the motions and consider everybody and his dog so that he looks like he's giving everyone a fair consideration. Who will it be? Heck if I know. But I'm sure it won't be the Clintons.

June 10, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Kathy

O MY-good for you Gov Strickland, more are beginning to see the light.....
    Our turn will come in Nov........however we have not, nor will not "endorse" Obama, but we will help him--–LOSE

These so called “superdelegates” of the party failed their constituents miserably. They chose “change” with no experience over “change” with experience. By doing so, they disenfranchised Clinton supporters and abandoned the strongest candidate to head the ticket. We have carried your water for many years; however we are not allowed to drink from the same well??? No MORE. These party elitist should have pledged their allegiants based on fact-not fiction. Hillary with her tremendous strength, knowledge and courage was tossed aside for an ill-qualified community organizer with two years of Senate experience. I firmly believe Obama to be the weakest candidate to head the ticket. Those same party leaders did not have the courage to realize this and they will pay a price for their stupidity.
    I have been a loyal supporter of the party my entire adult life-No More. You have shown me time and time again that you are gutless and have no clear clue how to win elections. You lack the vision and the wisdom to do anything other than pat your own pockets and run from the truth-for shame. Your actions have forced many of us centralist democrats to seek alliance with the moderate conservative wing of the Republican Party.
    I do not speak for all Hillary supporters, though I do hope I speak for many of them when I say to the party…. you have failed us-you have failed Hillary, and you will once again fail to win the White House, and because of your failure-the party WILL pay a high price. I watched and listen to Hillary ask her supporters to now throw their support to Obama, for the sake of the party. Hillary is a loyalist to the party-why, I’m not sure.
    I respect Hillary tremendously, however the party and the process did her wrong and this cannot stand. YES THIS WILL BE A PROTEST VOTE, a vote against the DNC-you need to clean your act up and remember your core constituents, because “Yes We Can” make a difference. I am not afraid of McCain, he does not represent 4 more years of Bush-no one could possibly be that stupid. I believe him to be a man of honor who will do his best for this country and its people that he cares deeply for, and for that reason I will place my hope with him.
    And to those Obama supporters, I am not “bitter” “old” “ugly” “uneducated” “living in a trailer” “sleeping with my uncle” or “picking my teeth with wood” . I am however, disenfranchised and VERY angry.
    And one last thing, please don’t lecture me about McCain’s record-I know exactly where he stands on all the issues, and I will still cast my vote for him.

June 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. LGriff

Is Hillary calling all her peeps to turn it down? I wouldn't put anything against this woman.

Obama 08

June 10, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. Well Informed Voter

If it's not Hillary for VP, then I'm headed to the Green Party to vote for Cynthia McKinney....I'll have given up for good on the Democratic Party

June 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Brian Knoxville, TN

Now the truth comes out: none of the Democratic Party's true leaders would want to ruin their careers by joining this second-rate selected nominee's ticket.

Maybe Obama can do what Bush did after everyone said no to him in 2000 and ask Dick Cheney to be his running mate.

Go PUMA PAC

June 10, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Enlightened Voter

Hey William from Texas, she can't even manage her own campaign finances and you want her to run your country? lol!

June 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. MDB Baltimore

Team Clinton ... still being divisive. Strickland could had just said no and said it privately. I believe they are trying to destroy any chances for Sen Obama. Two perfect examples of team clinton's divide and conquer tactics:

(1) they keep bringing up sexism allegations as if it were the reason HRC lost and

(2) they keep referring to their ridiculously incorrect popular vote victory theory.

If you are a leader within our party – then this is inexcusable behavior. If you decide to endorse than do it without deception!!!!!!

Dems... don't be fooled by all of this. The issues at hand are too important!

June 10, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. Hill supporter

smart guy Mr. Strickland. You don't want to go down with this fool.

June 10, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Marty Ohio

Wow that is a surprise I am sure he was high on the list but I am glad to see Ted stick to his guns.

June 10, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |