June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. patrick

Good job Team Obama on getting opinions and forming this search team. As a Hillary supported, I am more than happy to offer my support to the campaign. I hear some far out comments coming from Democrats who say they are switching to McCain. Incredible. I want to offer my sincere regret to my fellow Democrats who feel that Senator McCain can actually come to the center with his administration. This cannot happen. It won't happen. Senator Obama, if for no other reason than being a Washington outsider and junior legislator, brings what could be fresh ideas to the table and my fellow Democrats are so blinded by a "we" and "them" attitude that they will forget the fundamental differences between party platforms? Then I say good luck and good riddance to you turncoats and we will be more effective in conveying what our party is all about to the general election. Now is the time for we, the members of the Democratic Party to align ourselves with our positions and continue the conversation Hillary began! Senator Clinton and her husband have always served not just the Democratic Party but also all of their constituents. Is it not time for us all to adopt the same principled approach and bring about real change to Washington? I think it is! Again, congratulations to Team Obama and job well done on the selection process!

June 10, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  2. Rob

he wants Hillary.... by the way, me too...!!!

June 10, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Matt

I disagree with you.

Obama Biden 08

June 10, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. proud army and navy mom

nobody wanted you anyway, loser

June 10, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Tommy

Obama should choose out-going NC Governor Mike Easley. That gives him a strong Southerner from a battleground-possible state on the ticket .

NC is a soft Republican state and Mike Easley has gotten more total votes than anyone on the ballot top to bottom in the past 4 NC election cycles in a row. Easley was a popular Attorney General in NC and has been a 2 term Governor.

If not Easley, I'd suggest Ret. General Wesley Clark which puts Arkansas in play for Democrats.

June 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Mike D

he knows he adds nothing to the ticket whatsoever, he has no credentials besides MAYBE tipping ohio slightly in his favor.
    obama/webb 08

June 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. ANGIE

well what do you expect he is a bitter hillary supporter maybe obama does not want him so too look good he has to say he dont want it besides theres better out there than him

June 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Pappu

He can search high and low. Only Hillary is a sure bet.

June 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

It's possible Strickland doesn't want his private life invaded and scrutinized nationally and you can't blame him for that.

June 10, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Carl29

It seems like Obama is not looking for something like him. Did you see him being a good surrogate? the VP is got to be a good surrogate like Ed Rendell who was all the time on TV on behalf of Hillary.

June 10, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. America Speaks

Thats three less people to consider for the VP Spot.

(Edwards, HRC and Strickland)

President Obama.....take your time.

June 10, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Thats ok I did know that much about him.

I do like Obama/Biden and Hillary Clinton could be Attorney General

also Colin Powell could be Secretary of Defense!

Web or Sam Nunn as Secretary State

June 10, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Matt in Cleveland

good...you have a lot of work to do in this state first,,,thats why we elected you!

June 10, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Down with Obama

Yeah....they should all take their names off....maybe Donna can run with him!!!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Candy West Virginia

I find it very interesting how Barack has remained true to his word on just about everything – not allowing the dnc to take money from pac's and lobbyists for instance and now having an open vetting process for vp. What a breath of fresh air. BTW – haven't heard a word about mcwar's search for vp and did he get rid of lobbyists Charlie Black yet?

June 10, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. patrick

gas tax holiday = increased sales = increased demand = increased price for a barrel of oil = greater profits to big oil = less revenue to the government = increased taxes

June 10, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. ENOUGH

Never heard of him. There's better options out there anyway.

I'd much rather be looking for a running mate for Obama than I would for McCain – I bet they can run away from the McCain camp fast enough.

June 10, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  18. Alanna

Excuse me. What's puma pac?

June 10, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Candy West Virginia

BTW Rendell can't run, he's my governor and he has toooooo many skeletons in that closet.

June 10, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  20. linbit

Who's Ted Strickland?

June 10, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Marty Ohio

This takes Ohio out of play . Its a red state for sure now. Won't be much campaigning going on here.

June 10, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Silence Dogood

Ozombie: "Hillary is playing her game behind the scene!!! "

Yeah and she caused the China earthquakes too.
    And Bigfoot.
    And space aliens.

But they're not a cult.
    No Obama, No McCain, but who?

June 10, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Max

Ted was never a serious contender anyway. And for everybody else, hope you enjoy that 10/per gallon gas if you vote repugnant. I will simply say Congrats to 100yrs in middle East and war with Iran. Goodbye Roe V Wade, This country deserves what it gets.

June 10, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Matt in Cleveland

kathy your right wing propaganda is falling on deaf ears....does it uposet you that your joib is to troll cnn.com day in and day out to post your garbage about voting for mccain to protest clinton losing.

you are not influencing anyone...everyone says clinton had the election stooen from her? how he had more delegates before the supers had to decide it. for HRC to win she would have had to steal it from BO not the other way around

everyone know HRC and BO are identical in terms of policies with the one exception being healthcare

no one believes the essays your write about being a "life long democrat" and how the DNC lost your support.

you are pathetic GOP in dem clothing....NO ONE BUYS IT!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Arin

Who wants the bobbing head Strickland doll anyways?

June 10, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |