June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Kathy, do you understand the meaning of disenfranchised?

How exactly were Hillary supporters "disenfranchised" when the superdelegates opted to support the candidate who had won more pledged delegates, and thus effectively won the nomination?

Hillary supporters were "disenfranchised" because the supers didn't overturn the outcome of the election? They were "disenfranchised" because their candidate lost? So Kerry voters were disenfranchised in 2004? Every election one candidate's voters were disenfranchised?

June 10, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. Tom

Are you starting to get the point Mr. Obama? We're just not impressed.

June 10, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. AMERICA 09

why won't you want to serve your country? Skeletons?

June 10, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Steve

He is only on the list out of consideration for HRC. The Governor from Ohio should try and be more gracious and feel honored for even being considered, even if he would decline the offer. Those comments did not sound like party unity to me.

June 10, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. vw

We respected you, Governor Ted Strickland, and your decision from the bottom of our hearts.

You are a real man. Hopefully you can resign from this "undemocratic /hijacked party" and do whatever you want.

God bless you

June 10, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. No to Obama!!

Hillary is backing Obama, because she has to, it is part of the game. Does anything really think she wants him to get the presidency.....all of her supporters need to back McCain or write her in.
    We don't need Obama in office, people need to see him for what he is another Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. He has his own agenda and it is not one for all people. He preaches change, what can he change in a short period of time, anyone that is an older voter should see through the smoke screen, nothing gets changed at the snap of a finger.

June 10, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Nto in TX

Good old governor unable to conrol himself – sure wouldn't want him running anythign major in this country. We're glad you're in Ohio. Now... stay there.

June 10, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. Tony

All I gotta say is..... "Who?"

June 10, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  9. barackobama4prez

He'll likely get someone who was on board with his mission from the beginning. Strickland was not. Obama has to get a true soldier, not a luke-warm VP like HRC and the gang.

June 10, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. ral-OH

I think Strickland knows he has his own baggage, which
    wouldnt look good to Obama.

He had to have his Attorney General Mark Dann resign in May
    due to
    admitting to an affair with a subordinate.

Although Strickland was not involved, it did happen on his watch.

June 10, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Marty Ohio

Its kind of sad becasue Ted looks like a natural president but time is running out for him. And he has done a lot here. He is working on a 1.6 billion dollar jobs project that is near completion that alone is a heck of a lot more than Taft did in his terms.

Ted's a good honest guy. I would vote for him any day but I won't let him tell me to vote for Obama especially when he has said no himself. I think he'll figure out that he can't really ask people to vote Obama if he took himself out of the running.

June 10, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Desiree

His state voted for Hillary Clinton and he is only representing the voters, I can understand that.

June 10, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Harry C

VETTING will make people do this, huh Strickland? What made you think you were even on anyone's list???

June 10, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. Shirley-Ohio

So much for uniting the party. Mr. Strickland is not educated enough to be the VP. I live in Ohio and I do not like him, I did not vote for him nor will I ever vote for Ted Strickland. He will probably not be reelected as Gov again for Ohio. Is he a Demoncrate?

June 10, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. ProundToBeADemocrat

Hillary supporters are a bunch of idiots uneducated with no brain. All they do is hate that is because they do not have the intellegence to know the difference. Go to hell all of you and vote For Mcshame and you are the one making less than $30,000 who will get hurt if Mccain is our next president he will take care the rich people and you the poor idiots will pay the price in the top of that you will see you sons and daughters drafted to go the open end war that Bush started.

June 10, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Sue

Everyone drop out except Hillary.

June 10, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  17. Operation Chaos

I knew I would find you Brian TN right up top. You better change your name because everyone knows that you are a Republican troll on the blogs.

June 10, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  18. Anwoo

Sounds mighty strange...the way he adamantly refuses to join the ticket as V.P. if nominated but will join Obama's campaign trail? There's got to be more to it than meets the eye. Maybe this Ohio Governor does have some skeletons! Obama doesn't need anything to hinder his race, so it's a good thing this guy is voluntarily dropping off the list.

Obama 08

June 10, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Don

June 10th, 2008 2:59 pm ET

This is so arrogant of him to have criticized countrywide and has a rep from them vetting for him. I think Obama is smarter than he looks. He figured out a way to preach change, yet he cannot move forward because his inexperience will not allow him use people out of Washington. So he uses the same old people so that they can make him look good and he takes all the credit. He is definitely not the messiah and his supporters who bash Clinton and think they will change the USA with Obama, have a better shot at seeing snow in WestAfrica. CNN post my comment instead of some of these vague ones.

June 10, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Olivia

Obama is not Hillary!

Just heard Howard Dean say that the dem party is united. UNITED?!!

Then why was Hillary's campaign undermined by calling for her to drop out of the race as soon as Iowa?
    Why did the DNC call on superelegates to declare very early, obviously for Obama, and shut the race down.
    Why did the DNC shut her down by giving FL and MI half votes only, thereby making sure Hillary wouldn't make up ground on Obama. Why give Obama get the MI uncommitted votes which is against the rules. Why plan to give FL and MI full votes at the convention AFTER you knock Hillary out of the race.

This historic race was brought to a premature end. Hillary was butchered and Obama pushed over the winning line by the superdelegates that were pushed also.

No, the democratic party is not united. Obama will not get all of Hillary's supporters.

June 10, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. Pat-Pittsburgh

All aboard the sinking ship, all aboard, ummmmm, seems like there are no takers.

June 10, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. Dave in NYC

that's too bad – Strickland would have been a good running mate because he and Obama share similar values and governance philosophies.

June 10, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  23. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

That's not surprising. However that's good to know. We democrats don't want anyone to take the job if their heart is not in it.

Obamanation '08

June 10, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. Marc PDX

I guess Ted can see what the future looks like during an Obama presidency. "I *hope* we can get out of this mess cause I sure don't know *how* to change it". 3 years of experience and the libs think that's plenty of experience. I *hope* they're right! We'll all be doing a lot of hoping pretty soon I think.

NObama N'08

June 10, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. Kevin

Strickland just showed that he is not a savvy politician by his comments. Even if he didn't want the VP spot, was it necessary to go this public with it? What as as*

June 10, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |