June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. KMAN

Ted ... you've greatly overestimated your appeal as well as having greatly overstated your nonacceptance of an imaginary offer! Get over yourself pal!!

June 10, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. Candace -Houston, TX

It a tough job and if he thinks he is not up to it, then why even be interested and bluntly say your are not interested. This does not mean that he does not endorse Obama it just means he does not want to be VP and that is a perfectly ligitimate answer. I don't see anything wrong with this answer. Actually it just helps Sen. Obama better distinguish what options he has. No said these kinds of things when John Edwards shot down the choice of beening VP.

June 10, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. john

This governor does not deserve to be on the same ticket with OBAMA, look who he is representing, I am sure he has something that he doesn't want people to know, but the time has come to get over our racial bais.

June 10, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. Marc PDX

Was that actually the first vote of the November election???

June 10, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. Mike

Sad... Sad... Sad... all of the Hillary supporters jumped on!

Guys, I am a DEMOCRAT... I support my party. Obama and Hillary were very much the same on a lot of issues. I have a lot of respect for Mrs. Clinton and was torn in the primaries. I just feel that we need a CHANGE (for the better) and Obama lack of "experience" is actually a good thing. I truly think that all of HRC's time in Washington has brainwashed her to the current Washington. Obama seems more like a "people" president.

Do some research and stop speaking out of ignorance. The true opponent is "George" McCain, or John Bush... either way you slice it there are innocent soldiers dying every day for absolutely no reason. Our economy is in the toilet...

stop crying over the primaries, get past it because you know what, your candidate has HRC is focused on Nov. now

I suggest all of you do the same.

Mike

June 10, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. Willie, Hillary Supporter

That's right!!! Ted is not Judas like Richardson!! In your face obama!! You just got owned!!

June 10, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. DFoster

If you truely support the Democtatic party you will vote for Barack Obama. Hillary is going to vote for him so why are her supporters not voting for him. Hillary won't even run in 2012. Why do you think she tried so hard to win this time. She's 61 folks. She's going to have other important matters to tend to in four years ... like Speaker of the House or Supreme Court Justice. She understands her role in politics. It's about time that her supporters did too.

June 10, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Bobbi

Good for you Mr. Strickland. It is nice to see someone with loyalty and good common sense. Of course, now you have probably picked up some enemies at CNN. They don't like anyone or anything except Obama. I hope the press is now pleased with their chosen candidate. Once his lack of experience shows they will turn on him too. What ever happened to just reporting the news, not controlling it? If Obama is smart, he will pick HRC. If not, he doesn't stand much of a chance. I am a Democrat who is mad as hell and I will write in HRC on my ballot.

June 10, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  9. Dee, WV

well said patrick....

June 10, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Marc PDX

Barak isn't looking for a VP – he's looking for a private tutor. Anyone he picks will have more experience than him. Think about it!

June 10, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. Joe M

Ted's "experience" is no plus for Obama. Also, all you whiners get over it. Clinton's out and cooperating. So glad to hear Obama's a socialists as even that beats a scary old coot who wants to "Veto Beer" and stated that "Vladamir Putin's President of Germany" (that honor goes to Horst Kohler). Your car has a 20 gallon tank? Good as "Gas Holiday" McCain is going to give you a whopping $3.70 per tank and put the crumbling bridges and roads on hold while he panders. Get real!

Why don't some of you just be honest and state you're not voting for a "black man"? Patrick, above, will share my flak jacket when the bleating sheep above start throwing things.

June 10, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. ejahan

we all know at the end its going to be flavor flav or don king

June 10, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. lee

I was just reading the comments and I felt very sad. WE are gong to hell in a hand basket as a democrat party and no one seems to see it. All I hear is a lot of terribe statements or comments by people who do not get it. or just to blind to see the truth. We as a nation are suffering from high gas prices, healthcare is for some not for all food prices are out the window and all these people can do is keep fighting against each other. Maybe these sames people have not suffered enough, may GOD have mercy on all of them. Please as people of america begin to think. our country is in deep trouble look at the news we have flooding, fires, people loosing their homes etc, everything that could possibly happen to a country is happening to us. Yet we fight each other. love conquers all things try it before it is to late!

June 10, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. Brian

Did anyone consider that perhaps going from the popular governor of an important swing state and possibly future senator of said state to probably the weakest position in the executive branch isn't exactly a good career move?

June 10, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. john

change what change? ah VP shall be Ophra Winfrey

GOOD PUBLICTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Lucifer

Sen. Obama is from the Chicago zip code of 60606. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

June 10, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Why

Coming from a racist state I understand why he declined.

June 10, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. J.C.

Governor Strickland had some very strong words against Obama.
    He needs to explain himself IF he ever wants to run for the White House.

June 10, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. Big gator

Obama was just trying to be nice he does not want any of hag bags people. Her either.

Obama/Webb

June 10, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. Drew, Central FL

Bah! Another Clintonista with an over the top reaction. Get ready for the Hillarious spoiler in Denver. She lost folks. Get over it.

Btw, Brian from Knoxville is a Republican paid blogger.

June 10, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Blair

Get use to it obamammabites. The republicans do not have to listen to your SOB of not saying anything B_A_D about obama. What goes around comes around.

June 10, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. another Ohio voter

I agree with "Fed up in Ohio". Strickland has done pretty much NOTHING to help this state. He's a "Clinton Democrat," that's for sure. The most right-leaning Democratic politician this state has ever had. Most people don't know that he's also a Christian minister and his former state representative district was in the socially conservative Appalacian part of the state. He's about the last thing the country needs if it wants to get out of the right-wing, conservative gutter.

It was pretty obvious all along that he was a token bluff as VP candidate, mostly because Ohio has been one of those "battleground" states. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama concedes Ohio as he goes after the first presidential victory without gaining a majority of the traditionally "white" vote.

June 10, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  23. Kelly in Tx for Obama

Dear Hillary Clinton supporters that say they will not support Barack Obama, screw you. I really don't care what lame excuse you have for your lack of support or participation, you could hand over the power of presidency to a dangerous president who promises four more years of the same.

The blood of every person that dies because of the Bush/McCain agenda is would be on your hands. Can you live with that? You will have defiled the memories of Dr. Martin Luther King, Susan B. Anthony, our founding families, and the millions of people who have dedicated their lives to securing and protecting you right to civil liberties. You will delegitimize the anti-war movement by standing silently or actively supporting John McCain. That would be a historic vote indeed.

I support Barack Obama – but if Hillary Clinton would have been the nominee I would have supported her. It makes no sense to me that I would vote for someone who is so antithetical to my beliefs just for spite.

I suggest all you Hillary Clinton supporters who want to sit out or vote for John Mccain slap some duct tape over your mouths, drop your pants, and bend over, because that is essentially what you are agreeing to do if you don’t vote or vote John McCain.

June 10, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. Obama For President!

He Is Still Throwing His Support Behind Obama! Not All People Want To Be The Vice President Like Hillary!

June 10, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. Clarence

Everybody has something to hide!! Maybe he's been toe tapping

June 10, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |