June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. L. Tran, TX

People supports Obama for their own future. People do not support Obama for their own future. Obama can count out Democrat leaders in Michigan, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania...

June 10, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. RAY AVARE

Attn: Beguiled Obama worshipers. You've been sold a bucket of worms, not the pie in the sky, by the pretentious rookie Obama! you better hope he has the sense to pick the brightest and wisest Clinton, for VP, if he expects to win the most important job in the free world! Obama won by default and is buying the Presidency! The will of the majority was sabotaged by an unfair UNdemocratic system and biased black race vote. The Afro American would vote 92% for Obama, no matter if he is qualified or not! They fear the brilliant Cintons because they will steal Obamas thunder etc,. His weakness will shine more, when the smokescreen clears, Wake up to reality Obama dreamers, the Obama nightmare is pending, as time will tell! Disillusioned Democrat

June 10, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. Joe, Northern Virginia

Why don’t they give it to me then.... I will definitely and gladly take it if ever asked.

Obama/ JM 08 !!!

VIVA DEMS!!!!!

June 10, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Jim

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OHIO ==================> JOHN MCCAIN!! 🙂

June 10, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. sb

Why are so many Gay white men (obviously from the blogs) supporting Clinton? Is it like a deva thing.? Mae West is dead so now its Cher and Clinton.

June 10, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. ron

Strickland had some skeletons in his closet and was urged to bow out of the running by the Obama camp. FYI.

June 10, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. Kimberly jones

Hillary supporters are still bitter and hateful....now let me correct myself...some of hillary supporters are ignorant, stupid hateful, racist and bitter. Quite a few, at least 69% are smart and understand the foundation of Hillary's campaign and the fact that they are still democrats. The 29% are pathetic and Obama doesn't need their pathetic vote anyways. He'll make it up with those Jewish voters, hispanic voters, independent voters and 50% o the republicans who are disgusted wih their party. So the dykes and gay men who seem to have some other hidden issues can stay the heck home, vote for McCain, suck a duck or what ever! We don't care....

June 10, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Vig

Seems there is discontent with Mr. Wonderful (B.O.)

June 10, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Laidetea

He is going to pick a top notch person for the job. As far as Hillary Clinton, I don't think she's ranking with the top 10 people on the list.

June 10, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. G Ramaswamy

he said the same thing on 5/22/2008 when asked about being Hillary's or Barack's VP:

"Regardless of who the nominee is, I have been elected as Ohio's governor. That's a four-year term. And I intend to fulfill my term as governor," Strickland said. "You can't be governor and vice president at the same time."

June 10, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. The Delaware Oracle

Way to go Ted. We need you here and don't want you on a losing ticket. Come back in 2012 and Hillary can pick you for Veep.

That way you both will be more experienced.

Let's go McCain.

Dennis Kucinich and Obama make a great pari. But Obama reminds me of a second Carter Term. I like how fist bumping is sweeping the civilized world. Seems some leaders can't get enough of that.

next thing you know it will be toe bumping. Like Larry Craig.

Give me a break

June 10, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Christine

As I read these blogs all I see are hateful people this is sad....
    I am a 60 year old yes " white women " that voted for the very first time in her life this year...
    I have lived long enough and have seen it all but to see this election come down to a populairty contest instead of issues is so madding to me...
    The best times in my life was the Kennedys and I still miss them ....To hear you say that I will vote outside the party or stay home because I didnt get my way is unreal...
    If you want to see the War continue and this country die little by little then you go for it because you are only hurting yourselfs...
    I never voted because I never felt like it matterd that much but this time is so different this country is in sad shape,from gas to every day needs and the big one is our kids are dying overseas ...
    I have seen two strong democrates this year and would have been proud to vote for either one of them ..
    But it is not because one was black or one was white or one was a women or one was a man but because I care about where we as a nation are heading ...So wake up and use your heads before we lose everything sacred to us...

June 10, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. curtis

This will not change the fact that he beat the clintons and history will record it this way. As for hillary running in 2012 she has a lot of work to do in reparing her relationship with the hard working black americans such as myself .If she does not support obama she will never get the AA vote in 2012.

June 10, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Jason

Same day and two Democrats jump AWAY from Obama.

Some unity.

He can always ask Jimmy Carter.

They both share the same flawed ideas and plans.

Obama wants Jimmy Carter's second term.

June 10, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. gammaraygus

i have to laugh at these folks talking about hillary 2012 if obama loses this year. are you listening to yourselves? the same folks you are here bashing are the same folks you'll need for hillary to make a run at the race in 2012. so hey, keep ranting and raving. makes me wonder if these folks are hillary supporters at all. sounds more like troublemakers trying to pit democrats against one another. for all you "women" so interested in voting for mccain as a protest vote to how hillary was "cheated", i got two words for ya..."pro life". guess which side mccain is on? i also have two more words for ya..."supreme court". there are going to be potentially three supreme court seats coming vacant over the next four years. guess what children? those are life long appointments. so you "women" can kiss governance over your own bodies goodbye for generations to come with a mccain presidency. but hey, i keep hearing the pundits talk about how hillary's supporters are old and uneducated and if some of the comments on here from the "hillary supporters" are any indication...the pundits are right after all.

June 10, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Mary

Finally someone in the DNC leadership with a backbone who is not swooning behind the great train of hope. Perhaps he'll think about running in 2012. Please?

June 10, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Seth

Look deep into your hearts people, past any hardened notions of partisanship, or disliking Democrats simply because you have for so long. John McCain is not suited to lead the most powerful nation in the world.

Obama is young, intelligent, clear-headed, eager and above all else has proven fantastic judgment. His plan, much like Abe Lincoln, is to fill his cabinet with members from both parties. He will choose the best people, not the best Democrats.

John McCain is going to stock the entire gov.t full of hard-line republicans that will continue to dismantle our social programs, overturn a woman's right to choose, keep the behemoth war machine rolling along, and eventually destroy our nation from within.

Don't do it.

June 10, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. joe

I think He is answering the media because I don't think Obama had asked him anyways!

June 10, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. Very Concern

Strickland…....words are to be chosen wisely.......you not only represent yourself but the democratic party as a whole...........Question: What about the DEM PARTY......why are we not coming together to get the support we need to capture the White House? We need to put our differences aside and work towards getting America's economy back on top. Whether you supported Clinton or another candidate.....NOW is time to do what needs to be done for our beloved America, the land of the free and home of the brave!!!!

June 10, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  20. FRANK

GOOD JOB TED NO HILLARY BACKER SHOULD TAKE THE VP SPOT IF HILLARY IS NOT ASKED!! THEY WANT HER SUPORTERS BUT NOT HER!! I DONT THINK SO!!

HILLARY FOR VP!! OBAMA/CLINTON !!
    (UNITED WE WIN, DEVIDED WE LOOSE IT’S ALL UP TO YOU OBAMA)

OR

CLINTON DEMOCRATS FOR MCCAIN!!!

(AND IM NOT JUST SAYING THAT, AFTER ALL MOST HILLARY SUPORTERS RELATE BETTER TO JOHN MCCAIN THEN OBAMA, AFTER ALL MCCAIN IS THE DEMOCRATS FAVORATE REPUBLICAN!!)

June 10, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Harry

Him leaving doesn't make him look Good. The guy had a problem in his state with the judge and he faced some criticism that can not allow him to be a vp.

Nobody asked him anyway. I think he is answering media speculations!

June 10, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  22. DMAC/Post Falls, ID

Good for him. Now that is the kind of friendship you can't beat.
    then on top of that with all this crazy weather they have had in the mid west every Governor is going to have their hands full putting their states back together.e that whoever gets elected puts rebuilding the infrastructer in this country back in shape. It would put thousands back to work. They already let the Katrena victims down. We need someone with the capacity to really care about this country FIRST.

June 10, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. FRANK

R E S P E C T

HILLARY SHOULD BE VP
    CAN YOU SAY 18 MILLION VOTES OBAMA !!

June 10, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  24. mike

If elected he will not serve? DUH – how unrealistic, to think that he could be elected without consenting to his name being on the ballot. Has "silly season" now progressed to "idiotic season"? Or are Clinton supporters simply addicted to mind-numbing rhetoric?

June 10, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  25. NEVEROBAMA

NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER OBAMA AND HIS UGLY WIFE!

June 10, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |