June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Larry Buchas

That's OK. It just narrows the list.

I have my top 3 (no particular order):

Hillary Clinton – Yes, her experience and obvious appeal to her voter base will keep loyal Democrats within the fold. I found her management of the Presidential campaign came very close to getting the nomination. Putting two best candidates together winds up with a strong ticket.

Wes Clark – General – led successful operations in Bosnia, 2004 Presidential candidate and a Hillary supporter. Foreign & military experience offsets McCain's.

Joe Biden – Won't back down on foreign policy and national security issues, 2008 Presidential candidate performed well during limited exposures in debates, appeal to Catholic voters.

June 10, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Obama For President!

There Are Still Plenty Of Highly Qualified People To Go Through. Im Sure He Wont Be The Last To Turn The Job.

June 10, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. randy

ted ,we dont even care if drop your safe out from the vp list we know that you dont like obama so bye bye.

June 10, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. Annette

Some of you all really need to stick with the issues and stop attacking the person. You absolutely get no were by attacking the person. It's the issues that we need to be concern about and what these men stand for, so the next time you complain about gas, food, mortgage, YOUR JOBS! and everything else you NEED you may think twice about who you will vote for.

June 10, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Benjamin

Ohio politicians black or white generally have not measured up to their counterparts in other states. Ted Strickland is a democrat but not quite ready to embrace diversity as well as the governor of New York or California. Remember the governor or Pennsylvania stating that he didn't think his residents would vote for a black person. what he got out of that was an indictment on his intelligence, his lack of understanding of where this nation is today. Strickland is a small town guy, with small friends and an even smaller concept of how this great country needs to grow. Obama knows this and would never choose a VP with these serious limitations.

June 10, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  6. Why

Kathy – please tell me how you were disenfranchised? Explain this reasoning to me please? I know that the Clinton campaign team resided on the board that chose to penalize Florida & Michigan a year ago and that resolution was chosen with a very large yes vote. Hillary Clinton had 13 supporters on the DNC committee that just voted 19-8 in favor of upholding the ruling, but allowed a half vote for the delegates. Why aren't you mad at the Clinton campaign team? I totally agree that the DNC should not have allowed a republican state government mess up their process, however, that state broke the rules. Didn't Mrs. Clinton say that, "their votes will absolutely not count last year." Why weren't you angry at Mrs. Clinton last year?

Also, how was the media unfavor to Clinton? Please explain this to me? Did they talk about Paul vs. Clinton at all? Did they talk about Monica or all the legal issues Hillary had while first lady? Did they talk about her stealing from the White House? Did they talk about Rush Limbaugh pressing for people to vote for Hillary to screw up the democratic process?

Honestly answer, how did a woman with so much experience run such a bad campaign. She was vetted right, so why was she out done by the media as you say?

Why is she so much in debt? She has 18 million supporters but she's in debt. That doesn't make any sense to me. Please explain this to me?

I am not bashing or anything – I am just stating points and would like to know by reading an intelligent response.

My daughter doesn't understand and I would like to explain this to my 16 year old daughter who is a Hillary supporter but open to Obama, she can't vote, but being on the debate team in her high school she doesn't understand. Any Hillary supporter please tell me.

Although I own my own company, when I was working for someone I recall less experienced people moving up the ladder and doing a great job. Do you think Chelsea really deserved her high paying job coming right out of college over someone that was more experienced? Didn't Bush Sr. have more experience then Bill when he first ran? How did Bill do?

June 10, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  7. Evan Sayet

People don't want to be the Walter Mondale to the Jimmy Carter that Obama is. People foolishly voted for Carter because they wanted "change" didn't think things through. The result was an economic disaster at home and the creation of the Islamic terror state of Iran, the weakening of America across the board and all of the other leftist policies that Obama supports today.

Strickland knows that, if Obama loses that makes Strickland a loser and if Obama wins that will make Strickland part of the regime that destroyed America - either way it's a no win for him.

June 10, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. BigAce

Never heard of this guy. Doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good Veep, but their are plenty of available picks left.

NEXT......

June 10, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Donna in ID

I am one of those 65+ mad women. to church but I like a drink and had a husband that taught me to handle a gun.So I guess I fit the profile pretty close. Even though I live in ID. I hope he keeps having trouble finding someone dumb enough to want to be under his controling thumb. He is to pushy. speedy and moves to fast for most. High priced salesman.
    My dream team would have been Joe Biden and Hillary in either slot.
    I almost cried when he dropped out.

June 10, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. McCain is losing his bearings again

I don't think he wants to insult Hillary. He did the right thing to keep party unity.

June 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Nando, Florida

thats fine with me we need JIM WEBB anyway to shut MCCAIN'S PIEHOLE!!!!!

June 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. martin

good,you supported the wrong candidate,anyway.you have no judgement,just insider politician.

June 10, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. White Independent

Meet your next Vice President.

June 10, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Sandy

Today Obama met with a bunch of clergy...just happens they were all black though...for what? He has other stuff he should be doing. Oh yeah....i can see he is identifying with his white half already. Do not vote for this guy....

June 10, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  15. Beth - Florida

Just a thought ... what if NOBODY wants to be Obama's VP.

June 10, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Ratgurl

My guess is he doesn't want to be one of those held responsible if something suspicious happens to Obama.

June 10, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. Ratgurl

Do any of these Hillary supporters do anything besides troll the blogs? Seriously, get a job!

Yes, you:

Brian Knoxville, TN

June 10, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Don

Thank you for answering the media. Obama never asked you anyway!

June 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Sandy

Watch Obama fall...LOL!!!!!!!You screwed hillary DNC this is what you will get. People did not forget!!! He will never be elected unless she is VP!!!!!Go Republican if she is not on it!!!

June 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. Jack

Viva Obama/Clinton wrote :"A vote for John McCain is a vote for a George Bush third terms". But a vote for Obama/Clinton is a vote for a Jimmy Carter's second term. Believe me, we don't want to go there.

June 10, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. jill

Obama told everybody to chill. So, Please keep your mouth shut because nobody is asking you for it anyway!

June 10, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. dorothy

That is Great! Who care, go with John McCain and have a great ride.

djg

June 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. Alice - NYC

Now all we need is for Obama to take himself out of the running.

June 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Democrats Unite!

Settle down people. Strickland doesn't want his personal life exposed all over the world. He is smart to decline.

June 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Mia and Mike

Well that was just rude!! What's his problem? If he really doesn't want to support him (which is what I gathered from his words regardless of his supposed endorsement), he should have just keep his mouth shut in public and told Obama's people so privately.

June 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |