June 10th, 2008

Top Obama VP candidate takes himself out of the running

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Governor Ted Strickland – who has often been mentioned as a possible vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama – said Tuesday that if asked, he would “absolutely not” join the party’s presidential ticket this fall.

Strickland, who backed Hillary Clinton during the primary season, told NPR’s Michele Norris that he was taking himself out of the running. “Absolutely not. If drafted I will not run, nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve,” he said, in an interview on NPR's All Things Considered. “So, I don’t know how more crystal clear I can be.”

Obama lost the Ohio primary to Clinton.

The swing state governor, who has endorsed Barack Obama, dismissed the idea that all potential running mates deny interest in the job. “No, I don’t think they all say that. I’ve heard people say, ‘you know, if I was asked, it would certainly be something I would have to consider.’ That does not mean that I am any less committed to helping Barack Obama become the next president,” Strickland said in an NPR transcript of the interview, which is scheduled to air Tuesday night. He is scheduled to join Obama on the campaign trail in Ohio this Friday.

Two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team are in Washington, soliciting input from top congressional Democrats.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. mike

lighten up rednecks, a chicago president itsnt all that bad,.. you've all supported bad now step aside and let city folk run this country the way it should be run.. vote youngblood!

June 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. Desiree

Joe Biden has never endorsed Obama either

June 10, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Gail AL.

It doesn't matter to me who he chooses, I'll never vote for a man who thinks we have 57 states. Give me a break.

June 10, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. Erick FL

Hilary or McCain-- No it's no buts

June 10, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. Meg

Thank God you answered the media. Obama don't even need you. So, please shut the hell up!

June 10, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  6. Accountant Guy

Thank goodness he is out, he is the next to last person I would want as VP, only to be followed by Hillary. You can do better than this Obama, keep your options open!!

Obama '08

June 10, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. The Realist

This is a case of turning down an offer that he knew wasn't coming.
    Kathleen Sebelius is the clear front runner in the veep hunt. he may even ask Pelosi. That's woman that eclipses Hillary in every aspect on pure merit alone.

June 10, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  8. America08

Every democrat has to unite and bring Obama as President. You out of spite vote for GOP, and you will get the same old 4 more years. People from OH, PA where the economy has been at the lowest, jobs being outsourced, and foreigners coming to USA and taking away the good paying jobs, will suffer more if McCain is elected in November. You just punishing yourselves out of spite. If that is what you want for yourselves, for your kids and for your country, then you most welcomed to vote for the REPUBLICANS !!!

June 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  9. Steve

Too bad he can't be any more clearer!

June 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  10. frank

Obama asked everyone to relax. Please keep it that way, he is making his choice!

June 10, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  11. Jay

Ted is a Clinton puppet. If the Clintons threatened to destroy your political career if you accept an offer, you would say no also. They will do anything to get back in the White House. Hillary, wants Obama to be forced to come back and ask her. She wants to be VP for 8yrs and then Prez for 8yrs. that would send the Clintons back to the White House for 16 years, having then there for a total of 24yrs.

June 10, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  12. Beth - Florida

What if you give a party and nobody shows up...

Sounds like nobody wants to dance with Obama.

June 10, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. Mark Webb

Good for you Ted;
    We all love Obama!!

June 10, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Yameen Zubairi

As an Independent I am impressed with democrats many of them saying, " in my democracy if I lose I am not playing, where is the ball, I am taking it home." real mature.

June 10, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. TXBad1

Obamanites, wow , seems People are distancing them selves from Obama, Maybe your Arrogance offended them also! and they also Know that the Primamry was rigged and want no part of it!

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. K of TX

I'm seeing this sentiment among Hillary's most ardent supporters. I think, because of Hillary's interest in the V.P. slot, they are trying to leave Barack with no option except her. I wouldn't call it sinister, but I think the Clintons will use any leverage they can get to obtain power.

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  17. Steve From Dallas

I would not want to be part of that train-wreck either...

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. marie

For all the Clinton supporters who are crying that the superdelegates and the DNC chose Obama and that is the only reason he is the one on the ticket need to realize that Obama was AHEAD in PLEDGED delegates. So if the supers had went for Clinton they would have taken it from Obama. He won, it is what it is. Oh and for those who are crying about what the DNC did with MI and FL, you do realize the the RNC did the exact same thing dont you?

Just because you repeat the same lies over and over again does not make them true. This election was not hijacked or stolen from anyone.

It is funny to hear people say that Obama played the race card or used race in these primaries yet these same people praise Clinton because she is a "woman".

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Black Cat

Stop trying to pick the horse before the race. Obama will make HIS decision when he is ready. I'm pretty sure he does not know yet himself. And hostage threats to vote for McCain by disgruntled Hillary supporters only shows their lack of political intellect, and common sense. We laugh so hard every time they bring up their silly threats, so give it up. * * * Obama/(you're just going to have to wait and see...) '08

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. TEXAN

What's his problem ?? By looking at him, I can guess. Oh well, no love lost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. R.I.F.

No to Obama!! June 10th, 2008 4:41 pm ET
    "We don't need Obama in office, people need to see him for what he is another Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. He has his own agenda and it is not one for all people."
    ______________________________________________________

I think people do realize that he's black, if that's what you mean. I didn't know you had to be white to run for president. How about the the most realiable voting block in the democratic party take all of their votes and vote Independant or something. Let's see how many democrats would win anything in the next 100 years. You are an idiot.

I also didn't know that Jesse Jacskon and Al Sharpton were bi-racial US Sentors who graduated from Columbia and Harvard Law and were the first black presidents of the Harvard Law Review. I guess black should just stick to playing basketball and rapping no matter the qualifications.

GET LOST!!!!!!! I GUESS YOU LOST YOUR WAY TO FIXNEWS.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. Lars Larson

Can't some of you people read? Or do you simply type without bothering to read more than the headline?

Strickland ENDORSED Obama, is CAMPAIGNING with Obama and will do EVERYTHING HE CAN to help Obama win in November. That really sounds like someone who is jumping off a sinking ship.

Do you think, that maybe, just maybe, he really has no desire to have the headaches that would come with a national office such as Vice President? Is that possible? At all?

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Victor in NC

He is only saying that because he wants Hillary on the ticket

He is afraid of the Clintons.

Scary cat!

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. Noel

I dont think Sen. Obama's VP vetts even discussed anything with Gov. Strickland. Not sure why he thinks he is in the running??? Oh maybe because the media has been hinting it!!! Darn why wont you wait till you are asked to reject or accept Gov. Strickland?? An all those who thin Obama is a sinking ship. Well, he has proven he can win, even running againts the Clinton name brand. I support Obama all the way to the white house, as he is what US needs to show the world that US is a learder in every aspect.

McBush will be the down fall of US, MCBUSH which will turn US into a third world country. Remeber Dark Angel the TV series, thats what US is in for if McBush come to white house. MS CLINTON DEMS!!! DO YOU SEE ANY SIMILARITIES WITH MS. CLINTON & MCBUSH??

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  25. deb in az

the point is that he is not interested in serving with bho.....bho doesnt know what he is doing and people with common sense wouldnt want to be on the ticket with him.........obama will never get the hillary supporters .......we just dont think that this man shares our values and the interest of the country.......he needs to write another book.....he can call it how mainstream america didnt believe in me.......poor poor barack!!!!

June 10, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |