June 11th, 2008

Obama's VP vetter steps aside

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/11/art.jim.ap.jpg caption="Jim Johnson is no longer involved in Obama's VP search."]

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A key member of Barack Obama's vice-presidential search team, James Johnson, is stepping down after criticism over a mortgage he received, the Obama campaign said.

"Jim did not want to distract in any way from the very important task of gathering information about my vice presidential nominee, so he has made a decision to step aside that I accept," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said in a statement.

Republicans had been hammering Johnson since the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday that he received a good deal on a mortgage from Countrywide due to his friendship with the company's CEO Angelo Mozilo. Obama has criticized Countrywide in connection with the subprime mortgage crisis.

WATCH Obama defend Johnson Tuesday

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Pragmatist

Hey don't blame the Republicans for this...the Clinton long-knives are being to strike. Heck the Republicans don't need to vette Obama the disenchanted dems will do a much better job...

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

my lord, if i say something, then somoene else has to step down?
    what is up with this???

hey did you hear that billary's angry adn bitter supporters are coming to our camp??
    she is doing what limbaugh told her..she encouraged and enabled for this,
    so we will still win............. even if the odds are against us..
    but as long as the clintons have a say in things.. the republicans will win, see if she does not win, none will in teh democrats, she wants Obama to fail, so she can say : i told you and then she will run again in 2012 and then 2016 chelsea, they are but paving the road for the dynasty..
    go check their foudnation money, that is the gift that ke]eps on giving that is why booba doesnt let it go
    anyway, mcbush might let them have part of the pie..
    they are helpful..

THE END

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Jeff

I'm support Sen. Hillary Clinton, I appreciate ever little thing she has done, I'm not vote for Obama same as my friend and family he lie to me,

--------------------------------

I feel gov. should give everone hybrid to help with gas problem it would also help oil that he bring in from other place.

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Hillary Supporters

Poor judgement again !! This is disgusting.

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Can I be friends with Countrywide’s chief executive officer? My mom needs a great deal because she is looking to buy a house.

People get so nit picky, there are no perfect people and if that was the biggest fault Johnson had then well good for him.

The republicans have some nerve calling people out. What about all the lobbyist in McCains wallet. Let’s call on him to give back their money. McCain can not debate against the issues because you will loose so republicans must nit pick about the dumbest things.

OBAMA 08!!!

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. Stef in Ohio

Ok I am a total Obama supporter but I sure wish CNN would cover McCain more. Perhaps I just want to be nosey but I would love to see more of what is going on with his campain. Everytime I see a ticker it is about Obama. What is McCain up to guys?

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  7. IAMWMD

After Obama becomes President, I'll stop donating to him and set up web site to solicit donations for the "Pity Party" for diehard Hillary supporters and the Tales from the McCrip cronies

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. NoMccain

It's not like Obama isn't going to choose a VP now... so why is this getting attention?

June 11, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  9. WHat?!

Neither party has given us a canidate that the American people want

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  10. Annette

I agree Ken, in Las Vegas. Really let's see how many people come forward and resign for the purposes of McCain campaign. This really shows Obama style and great judgement to lead. This is the kind of change we need whether you agree or not. Think about it.

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  11. carepi

Forget this B.S.

facts: Mcsame has numerous members that were lobbying for countrys that support terrorism and genocide (look it up)

why aren't all those guys out of mcsame's campain??

in different news:

did anybody knew about the IRAQ war investigation committe??? the results are posted online on the wall street journal
    NOTE: NO NEWS MEDIA COVER THIS STORY ( tv news). COVER UP? YOU BE THE JUDGE.
    from the wall street journal...
    "The 170-page report accuses Mr. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other top officials of repeatedly overstating the Iraqi threat in the emotional aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks"

here is more:http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/washington/05cnd-intel.html?hp

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  12. fred17

Shouldn’t reporters and other media commentators be vetted to determine their bias? Shouldn’t they divulge their tax returns so that the public can see whether they are slanting coverage for personal gain? Shouldn’t everyone know everything about everyone else so there can be nothing left that is private? why isn't your business my business?

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  13. Ric

Obama was selected not elected! Clinton Democrats for Mc Cain '08

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Ernest

Please get that fool out, we do not want additional distraction in this campaign.

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. TXBad1

Looks Like more Problems in the Land of Obama and his Obamanites!

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. Carroll

This is just stupid. You need people who know what and how to do the job. But because this guy is from D.C. and had some personal business that was not illegal, he has to leave the campaign. I'm sure he will continue to help in some way toward the veep selection. Now I expect everyone in MCCain's camp must be vetted also and thrown out or brought to light then pushed.....

I'm tired of things like this drawing from Senator Obama's campaign or the process..

Washington, D.C.

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. ANOTHER DEMOCRAT FOR MCCAIN

As a Democrat, this is yet ANOTHER reason why Obama would make a TERRIBLE and CORRUPT president.

The Dems need to THROW OUT the Clintons, Kerrys, and Obamas, and come up with better candidates.

Otherwise they will continue to LOOSE MODERATES LIKE ME.

June 11, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Stef in Ohio

Ok I am a total Obama supporter but I sure wish CNN would cover Mccain more. Perhaps I just want to be nosey but I would love to see more of what is going on with his campaign. Everytime I see a ticker it is about Obama. What is McCain up to guys?

June 11, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. John

Oh NO like its gonna hurt OBAMA!! Whatever!

June 11, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. jumpugly

Is there anyone squeaky clean in Washington D.C. ?
    I don't think so.

June 11, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Sean

Another misstep. Good one, BHO. Let's see, first you through your grandmother under the bus, then Rev. Wright, then your church, now your VP vetter. Maybe you're just not ready for prime time.

June 11, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. aka1577, MI

Nothing ILLEGAL declared or implied on Mr. Johnson or Obama. Welcome to destructiive politics Republican style. Thumbs down for the Rovean politics.

June 11, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Art

If Obama gets to the White House, I suspect it'll be business as usual, nothing much changed. Just a new batch of corruption.

June 11, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Michigan Voter

Where is Caroline? Or was that just to pander to Women or older voters?

June 11, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. Erik

Non-issue. The Senator did the right thing.

June 11, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |