June 13th, 2008

A Clinton backer turns to McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign last week."]
(CNN) – After eight years of a Bush White House, Will Bower was looking for a Democrat to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009. But not just any Democrat. Bower wanted Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination and move back into the home she left in January 1993.

After a bitter primary battle Clinton conceded the race to Barack Obama last week urging her supporters to back her rival. Bower heard the message, but he is not going to follow it. Instead, he said in an interview he plans to vote for Republican John McCain and has formed “Party Unity My A–,” otherwise known as PUMA to express his frustration at the Democratic Party.

WATCH: Hillary Clinton throw her support behind Obama

The initiative he said is “to unite voters who don't want Barack Obama as president.”

The 36 year-old Washington resident said his anger is not just directed at Obama, but the party as a whole.

“[The] Democratic Party has thrown away democratic principles through this primary season," charged Bower, who pointed to the delegate sanctions levied by the DNC against Michigan and Florida. "If parties won't uphold democratic principles; who will?"

The group is predominantly comprised of female Clinton supporters, said Bower. The Clinton-turned-McCain supporter said he has also helped launch the “Just Say No Deal,” a nationwide coalition he estimated has two million voters who are also vowing to ‘say no’ to the Illinois senator come November.

Bower acknowledged Obama will be crowned the Democratic nominee at the party’s August convention, but said he holds out hope that the GOP will uncover potentially harmful information between now and then. At that time, “the party might be desperate for another candidate," he said.

1. Ted, WA

I wouldn’t worry as the same amount of evangelicals and independents who voted Republican last time will cross over. It’s a reshaping of the coalitions for both parties.

However, it is now clear that these people didn’t support Hillary over the issues. And if these people do have an effect on the election, expect payback from the other parts of the coalition should Hillary ever decide to run again. These people will ruin her career, one that still has so much potential outside the presidency.

June 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. WHY??

Voting out of bitterness is dumb to me.
    Clinton and Obama policies are a lot closer than Mccain's. To put him in office out of bitterness is punishing yourself not Obama or the Democrats.

June 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. jess

I'm a democrat voting for mccain.

My vote is for my vote is for the better of the 2 candidates. I believe that Obama represents chicago strong arm politics, is reckless, lacks experience and has distrubingly poor judgement. I also believe that his having the white house, with a dem senate, a dem house, and the media is his back pocket, would be a very dangerous combination, especially considering how common it is for his campaign to demonize anyone who doesn't support him. Scary. So I will vote for mccain, a reasonable person with experience and good judgement. McCains stances on a good number issues may not be exactly the same as mine, but at least i won't end up in a country with a bunch of rabid chanting supporters that have bought into his marketing and cult of personality, calling me racist dumb b-c if i criticize the president.

McCain rates a 5 on a scale of 1-10 for me, but the Obama rates a -10. Therefore I choose McCain.

June 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Debbie Maha

I'm with you 100% Mr. Bower. I will not vote for Obama. I will absolutely vote for McCain when I have to.

June 13, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Kenneth M

SHAME ON PUMA. THERE WAS A TIME WHEN BAD NEWS AT THE LAST MIN. WAS A SUPRISE. NOW IT IS A TACTIC, AN ONLY HOPE. IT IS BAD WHEN YOUR DREAMS DEPEND ON SOMETHING LIKE THAT. YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD SLICK HILLIE NOT TO BRING A POPULAR VOTE TO A DELEGATE FIGHT, NOT TO LIE ABOUT SNIPER FIRE, AND NOT TO VOTE FOR THE BUSH WAR. THAT IS WHAT COST HER MOST OF ALL. SAY WHAT YOU WANT ABOUT SEXISUM, IT IS PART OF THE WAY THE GAME IS PLAYED. SAME WITH RACE BUT OBAMA HAD AN ANSWER TO THAT. SHE DID NOT HAVE ONE BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT SHE WAS A SHOE IN.

June 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Colony14Author

My gut feeling is that the next President will serve only one term, regardless of who wins. The Iraq war bills will come due, and the feds will start up the printing presses in response, prompting inflation. Gas prices aren't going back to $1.75, with India and China now bidding for more of the product, and if we don't build more nuclear plants or refineries and drill here in the United States, we'll continue to be dependent on foreign oil. (And neither Obama nor McCain has a 500-mpg carbuerator up his sleeve.) The next President will not be able to control federal spending, because no one feeding at the public trough will give up their perks or stop buying off their Congressmen and Senators (from both parties) through PAC and union support. Any attempt at federalized health care will cost a ton of money we don't have and simply put more people on the public dole.

It isn't going to be pretty, and no one will be willing to make the necessary sacrifices to resolve the problems. By 2012 we'll be eager to toss out whoever gets elected this November, and you can bet Hillary will be in the wings waiting to say, "I told you so." If someone jumps off the Saint Obama bandwagon now, he's simply ahead of the eventual pack.

Truth be told, McCain and Clinton are closer in policies than one might think, so I don't know why there's such a fuss about Clintonites switching to McCain. Granted, her choices in Supreme Court nominees would be more radical and leftist than McCain's, but he won't have the votes in the Senate to put in any strict Constitutionalist anyway. Beyond that, McCain is a pretty liberal republican, one who would satisfy even many in the predominantly liberal media.

I don't care either way, I'll vote principle over politics (i.e., Libertarian) and sleep well.

June 13, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. Liberal-Extremist

LOL .... that's all i can say ............

It's just all talk ................

June 13, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. Alex

This guy sounds like a loser to me!!!! The process ran its course and he's not happy about the results. Good riddance....I hope he stays on the other side.

June 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. The

there is stink in the democrat's house

STINK

I Say!

June 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. Fred

I'm a registered Democrat for Hillary but I'm voting for McCain!

June 13, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. Brad - California

This article is a comedy piece, right? Is Will Bower a comedian or just a biggot? What a joke... and this garbage even makes news?

June 13, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. Pedro

Here's a pacifier for you, baby.

June 13, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. PROOF

This is proof that the Clinton's are just as corrupt as the Republican party. Anyone in congress that was for Hillary Clinton and is now turning to McCain is also corrupt. It is the institution doing whatever it takes to defend itself. They know that if Obama gets elected it could jeopardize their whole entire foundation of lies, fraud, and corruption that plague Washington DC. The GOP and their treasonous democratic side kicks, like Senator Lieberman and Will Bower, are all in it for the power, greed, and financial gains that comes with being in politics. They have too much invested in the corruption that permeates their entire existence, wether it be in the pharmaceutical industry, big oil, banking, mortgages, or the Iraq war, they all have way too much lose in the special interests sector to stop now. Truth shall conquer lies ,as good conquers evil and as light conquers night, when Obama is elected and the people of America will know once and for all the truth about what has been happening in Washington over the last 20 years.

OBAMA 2008!!!

June 13, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  14. Manny

Who is Will Bower? like we care who the **** he votes for. These are dumb Americans who probably voted for Bush twice.

June 13, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  15. Dave from Atlanta

Two points:

1. Please explain how you were robbed in Michigan and Florida when Hillary herself agreed last fall that the results of both states WOULDN'T COUNT due to the infractions of both states. I don't get it - if something doesn't go the way you wanted or thought it was going to go, you go back on your promise and then blame others that you're being treated unfairly? Please please please explain this to me in a way that makes sense.

2. Obama may not have experience, but that's not the point. He is a uniting figure, and a president is only as good as the cabinet he appoints. If he does a smart job doing that, we are in for a really good eight years.

3. I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER desert my party to vote for a Republican, unless the identities of both parties switch places. If I had my wish, you silly, childish PUMA people would never be allowed back into the Democratic Party - even though you'll be begging to be let back in four years from now if McCain wins the election.

June 13, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Amy

Thanks God not all Americans are stupid. If the Democratic party lost its principles, yes, it has to be reformed. And not by the hope-change-unity slogans.

June 13, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Dekonti

This is why people look at the mainstream media and say that the have lost their standards. Why is this a story? What about the millions of Clinton backers who have moved to Obama?

God, why did you take Tim Russert so early leave us with these fools?

Someone please help us!!!!

June 13, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. D Frank

Unfortunately I have to agree with Mr Bower. I do not have anything against Barack Obama at all. But I question the Caucus and Primary process and whether Barack Obama’s nomination is legitimate.
    I would have no problem in supporting Obama but the Florida and Michigan debacle has placed a cloud over the whole process. Also the Caucus process is simply not Democratic.

If the Democratic Party cannot uphold one of the key principles of democracy (i.e. citizens right to vote and have all votes counted), then which Party will uphold this key principle. Unfortunately when people like me decent and oppose decisions such as the one that has given someone like Barack Obama the nomination, we are labelled racist or whatever.

Most people do not seem to understand that it has nothing to do with race but this very principle is so important to the idea of democracy. I have as said nothing at all against Barack Obama and would have supported him had the primary process been conducted honestly. Caucuses do not belong in the Nomination process because they are not democratic and all states should have Primaries where all votes must be counted in the selection of a Nominee whoever he or she is.

June 13, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. Its OK to be right

THIS IS SO SAD..BLESS HIS LIL HEART.

June 13, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. TonyNJHC

Many Democrats shall be leaving the Dem party for similar and other issues. The opponent says allot, but in my opinion, the government printing presses would have to be printing money 24/7 and 365 days a year to pay for this, this, ....these so-called programs. Reminds me of the time of the late Huey Long. An excellent public speaker, in a way, an original. Read some of his speeches on the internet. He even wrote a song, "Every Man A King" later changed to "Every Man A King Every Gal A Queen". In some aspects, Huey was ahead of his time. Huey reached the zenith of his political role during the height of the Great Depression. I'll even give Huey credit for giving some hard times folk, a bit of entertainment. Huey's speeches were fine for the guy or gal sitting on the fence, having lost everything, and wondering what to do next. All is fine until someone gets stuck with the bill for the picnic. Who is going to pay for all of these future programs. The trick is trying to do the most good, without reducing the good old U.S. Dollar to being used as wallpaper. This actually occurred in the hyper-inflation periods of post WWI Germany, post WW2 Hungary and Argentina after The Falklands War. Before you folks cast your vote, consult your History books and pray if you are a person of Faith. This country needs jobs, not only to provide for one's family, but to regain something others forget and some never understand because they could care less, that being dignity. I don't believe President McCain will run the money machines into the ground. I believe he understands the word "dignity".

June 13, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  21. Belle

Well, I can see from the comments, you Obama fans disagree with Bower. You got your vitriol out again. How sad that you can't be civil when you disagree. But then you have been inspired by the very best-Obama the inspiration behind all the hatred, animosity, and vitriol.

June 13, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. Robert

I love all you Obama-nuts, none of you are even old enough to remember L.B.J., those of you who do should be able to see his "change" is just a recycled version of LBJ's Great Society. I know that our education system has failed us, because if it didn't half of you would realize it didn't work! Or "whisky" calling Mario a "guido", nice racisim from an Obama supporter. Typical, but some how he will turn it around on me, just because he brought up the subject of race. Put down the kool-aid people and slowly back away. We need "Regan Democrats", moderates are the way to go. The ultra-liberal left, and media are killing the Democratic party. Does anyone remember why Joe Liberman left, hello? We need a third part the American Moderate Party. People on both sides of the aisle willing to break party ranks, cut ties, and be brave like Joe did to make America better. Not the Liberal States of America, but UNITED States.

June 13, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  23. Mary WA

Oh, is that what Hillary wants? Not! You think this will help her career? Not! These people are spoiled brats! Hillary will be ashamed and blamed for this. IDIOTS!!!!

June 13, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. MD in OK

I knew it! He is a Republican in Democrat's clothing. Another Republican trying to stir the pot. If he's so frustrated, why not stay on and try to fix it with Obama? Remember, Obama is all about change.

June 13, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  25. TEXAN

WHAT AN " A..H. !!!!!!!! We do not need people like him in the Democratic party. Obama will will anyway. so.... "BYE" !!!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |