June 13th, 2008

A Clinton backer turns to McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign last week."]
(CNN) – After eight years of a Bush White House, Will Bower was looking for a Democrat to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009. But not just any Democrat. Bower wanted Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination and move back into the home she left in January 1993.

After a bitter primary battle Clinton conceded the race to Barack Obama last week urging her supporters to back her rival. Bower heard the message, but he is not going to follow it. Instead, he said in an interview he plans to vote for Republican John McCain and has formed “Party Unity My A–,” otherwise known as PUMA to express his frustration at the Democratic Party.

WATCH: Hillary Clinton throw her support behind Obama

The initiative he said is “to unite voters who don't want Barack Obama as president.”

The 36 year-old Washington resident said his anger is not just directed at Obama, but the party as a whole.

“[The] Democratic Party has thrown away democratic principles through this primary season," charged Bower, who pointed to the delegate sanctions levied by the DNC against Michigan and Florida. "If parties won't uphold democratic principles; who will?"

The group is predominantly comprised of female Clinton supporters, said Bower. The Clinton-turned-McCain supporter said he has also helped launch the “Just Say No Deal,” a nationwide coalition he estimated has two million voters who are also vowing to ‘say no’ to the Illinois senator come November.

Bower acknowledged Obama will be crowned the Democratic nominee at the party’s August convention, but said he holds out hope that the GOP will uncover potentially harmful information between now and then. At that time, “the party might be desperate for another candidate," he said.

1. FactCheck

Yeah that Obama sure is inexperienced. I mean, look at what happened the last time the elected such an inexperienced politician for president: Ronald Reagan. Oh wait...

June 13, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. Tom

Its a darn shame that a man in his mid-30s would act like this and goto the other side. Seeing how some Clinton Loyalists acted like this, and still insisting on taking this to Denver, if they do this and the DNC allows this, think back the conventions of 1968 and 1980. Obama won this fair and square. Its good in a lot of ways that we have someone entirely new running for president. I used to be a hardcore republican based on Reagan values, and after seeing what George W.Bush and his administration's and his party did to our country the last 8 years, a couple years ago I switched from being a Republican, to an Independant. Message to those Clinton Supporters and Bower himself, get over it and move on. Vote for McCain if you want, but I can tell you already being a former Republican in my opinion I would of backed McCain in 2000, but today I just do not think he has what it takes to lead the country and after learning about Obama and listening in on his speeches and policies earlier this year, at least I can say this man has a plan, in all the years I voted, I never put alot of money in a candidate's campaign, but after seeing him offer people alot of hope and direction, I did for Mr.Obama, I think Obama deserves a chance to do something good for the people. Another thing to Mr.Bower, you know the general election campaign is just heating up and Mr.Obama has not even selected a VP nominee, give the man a chance to prove to you. I was very skeptical of the primaries of Hillary, but after conceding to Obama and endorsing him, I now have warmed up to Hillary and think she could do some good for Obama, and now I hope he may consider her on the ticket or at least if he gets to be president that he give her a cabinet position. She deserves that much. I just see people like this and I feel they need to get out more and expierience life, like Hillary would want him. As for the comment Blueray 98 made, yeah their one scairy group of people, but I will tell you after seeing how the Clinton loyalists have acted for the last 16 years, at least the majority has finally spoken and its good that democracy is finally being restored back to its originality. The era of Republican and Democratic dynasties is over with for the next few years at least.

June 13, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. In California

To Brandon,

Shame on you for your post on Tim's death. I pray to God people like you just leave these blogs and learn some kindness.

June 13, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. jim

You Hillary sore losers are too much! The platforms of Hillary and Obama are so similar I can't believe you'd vote for McSame just because you can't get a grip on the loss. Yes it was close, yes, everything wasn't fair for everyone. But let's face it, Hillary's campaign made some serious mistakes along the way or she'd have won with or without FL, etc. If you're turning to McSame out of spite, then it's time you get some therapy. Jeez, bunch of babies.

June 13, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. judy

I'm backing McCain also. He "speaks softly but carries a big stick." I want him as commander-in-chief.

June 13, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. KevinDC

None of this makes any sense. I cannot understand why a number(probably small number) of Clinton supporters find having Obama as President so unthinkable that they would do something as ridiculous as voting for John McCain. It really begs the question what they are looking for in a President. This is a question for which I don't have an answer. Clinton is not that much different from Obama.

I think at the end of the day, these people just need to get over themselves. Clinton already has. This is the future of our country, and its too important for you to still be bitter about the results of the Primaries.

June 13, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  7. Alex NYC

*waaah* I'm gonna take my toys and go home.

You want McCain to overturn Roe v. Wade. I get it. I think you're crazy, but I get it.

Honestly, look past your bitterness to what voting for McCain will bring down on us.

June 13, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  8. european bystander

Folks, can you tell me why these guys can't stop whining about "not all delelgates seated" and "count all votes". Is it really considerable in the Democratic Party to change the rules in the middle of the game after having condemned FL + MI for not sticking to them when you find out this might help you personal ambitions?

I see the point of primary voters saying "we didn't break the rules, it were the state party officials who did".

I guess if you need to blame someone for psychohygienic reasons then probably the guys who deliberately decided not to follow party rules and hence caused all the mess.

June 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. william

PUMA ... what a baby. If my person doesn't win i am going to take my ball and go home.

What did this immature ball boy learn in kindergarten?

Get a life. go vote for ross perot,.

June 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  10. NORA, FLORIDA

TJ in Texas,

Thats just it. Rules are for certain people but the Clinton's scare politics failed and Florida nor Michigan did not get a full vote but what is even scary is that if any of those clowns were to go speeding and was given a speeding ticket, I guess the law should be rewritten to include their incompetence.

LOL. Cracking me up HRC supporters who are voting for McCain. You are not voting for experience, stop conviencing yourself of that. You ar voting because you are immature. "hmmm I take my toys and go home!" Okay don't let the door hit you in the split.

June 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  11. warf33

Seems to me that Obama doesn't look quite as squeaky clean after accepting not only the uncommitted delegates from Michigan but four of Hillary's as well. This from a man who supposedly "plays by the rules". It wasn't just that his name wasn't on the ballot, he actually chose to take his name off the ticket himself. Anyone care to explain why he got any delegates from Michigan at all??

June 13, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  12. huh?

I consider myself an independent, but the issues I support are most always in line with Democrats. I agree that the party has issues, but any democrat that votes for McCain is cleary clouded by anger or is really a closet republican. Who cares about parties, you need to look at the issues and Hillary and Obama are pretty much the same.

June 13, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  13. I've been blacklisted

So now we are to leave the party when our favorite candidate is not the nominee.

I see, why didn't someone tell me earlier?

June 13, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  14. Truth

TO: Mario from New Jersey

McCain doesn't even know the difference between Sunni or Shia. He is delusional about the history of their conflict and their relationships with Iran. He is ignorant to the troops counts in Iraq, wether or not the surge is working, who is training Al Qaeda and who is killing them. McCain wanted to hold meetings with Hamas 2 years ago, now he accuses Obama of saying it when it was actually McCain. He wants to veto beers. He thinks people are bitter so they hang on to their religion and constitution. McCain probably can't even remember what day of the week it is today. That's the type of questions the press should be asking, what's 2 + 2 Senator McCain? Do you know where you are Senator McCain? Can you feel anywhere on your body Senator McCain? How many fingers am I holding up? Senator McCain is not qualified to greet customers at the entrance to the local Walmart, what makes him think he has the faculties to be president? Senator McCain is obviously in the deep stages of aging, and it shows up everyday with his confused speaking. Bush is too dumb to say what he is thinking and McCain just plain can't remember or doesn't know at all. So for you to imply that because McCain has been to US military strongholds within Iraq, that he knows anything at all about their culture and what is best for the people of Iraq, is laughable and absolutely wrong. McCain's simplistic military view of the world will bring a many more millions around the world to their deaths if he is elected and the sad thing is if you ask Senator McCain why he wants to start more wars? He simply replies "to save lives" just like Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good men". Choose carefully whom you represent good sir for your simple vote could be dooming not only yourself, but your children and your family and friends.

June 13, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  15. JB

What a cry baby! These idiots think if McCain wins in November she can run again in 2012. If you are expecting much support then better think again. People don't and wont forget that quickly. I too would not be suprised if she was behind this propaganda

June 13, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. Eric

What they are doing is holding women back, McCain is going to pick supreme court justices that will have the same beliefs to set women back, remember Roe vs. Wade? The war in iraq costing america 3 trillion dolars? Tax breaks for the rich? They probably dont. Not to mention obama's beliefs and policies are very in line with Clinton where McCain's is way on the other side of what clinton believes. When we are paying $10 a gallon gas we can thank them not to mention they should be accountable to pay for the war that if McCain wins will be 100 years

June 13, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. I've been blacklisted

So, now we are to leave the Democratic party when our candidate is not the nominee. Why didn't someone tell me earlier?

June 13, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  18. Gregsmalltown

I agree, this guy is a weenie. Don't vote the issues and what best to do for the country, vote for the opposing side because my choice wasn't picked. Traitors! And I keep hearing about what scary people the Obama team is (mainly Obama). What! Go find out about the candidate- don't just BELIEVE the trash that the Media and Clinton's group kept ramming down our throats (oh gosh he knows a 1960's bomber..oh he knows a slum lord ohh, oh gosh his name is weird and he is a Muslim). I know alot of seedy people, but that doesn't make me one of them (including my Pastor who went kinda bonkers and started exorcizing demons from people). Stand up for what you think is right in this world and STOP being told to be afraid. It's propaganda tactics that influence your basic fear level and paralyze your thinking (it's what the Republicans have been using for years). People that say that Obama is scary are just simple minded fools that are either scared of black people (oh gosh the black president can't be trusted..he may make us all slaves to the black population) or they just are sheep that are easily influenced by just about anything scary that someone tells them (there is nothing to fear but fear itself).

June 13, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  19. Nick Wright

This is an astounding embrace of the Sore Loser attitude.

Obama won according to the rules. The RNC has rules just as the DNC does, and to let that count against the legitimate winner is remarkably petty and immature. I hope that Bower, like other Clinton exclusivists, will one day realize how at odds with logic their policies are.

June 13, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. andersen

Oops, the "Party Unity Pony" is missing a few parts, like 18 million, and counting.
    One of 18 million
    Independent PUMA (former Democrat)
    This is no longer about Clinton or Mr. No Name. This is about our Democracy!

June 13, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  21. Talib n GA

STOP THE PRESS...
    How in the world can you call yourself a democrat and then support John McCain. Obama followed the rules and lead an awesome campaign. Since its not DEMOCRATIC PRINCIPLES that you will vote for what is the true reason why you don't like Obama. How different are Hillary and Obamas ideas? Doesn't the DNC align with both messages? If Hillary takes the VP spot then will you still support John McCain? I believe either these people are truely hurt from loosing the nomination or they would rather see some one white in the white house...

June 13, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  22. Nevada

Yeah! Shame on the Democratic Party for forcing Clinton out when the only way for her to be selected is if they disregarded the person who won the real[1] popular vote, the most states, and the most delegates. I can't believe they would do such a thing.

[1]: Remember when Clinton cried and threw a fit because of Florida and Michigan? Then didn't get it exactly her way and she cried some more? Then the her new motto was to have every voice heard and every vote counted? Well... if she really wanted that she, and her supporters, would have to count every caucus vote as well which would give Obama the lead... how about that? There was no screwing after all. Just people who don't want to face reality.

June 13, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  23. Jim from Missouri

So sad, so sad. Let's see Mr. Bower.... You're a Democrat and your primary reason for not supporting Barack in this time of national and world crisis and need.... is that he lacks national experience.... Lincoln?, Kennedy?, Clinton? and hasn't been to Iraq lately.... And when was the last time you've been there.... and yet you have some type of an opinion about it... don't you?.... But what exactly is that opinion? Most Democrats believe we should not be involved. I would guarantee that most of the ladies you're trying so hard to take advantage of .... er.... organize... i.e.: you're "puma..ites", "pumites", pomegranites... whatever your nifty little acronym is... believe we shouldn't be involved in Iraq. But issues aren't really important to you are they, Mr. Bower?

Let's be frank, Mr. Bower. All comedy aside. You are either:
    A. looking to make some money off of poor deluded, elderly Clinton supporters.
    B. A closet racist who just hasn't come to grips with it yet.
    C. Getting money on the side from the Clintons are McCain to raise a nice little stink...

And our winner is..... behind door number 2 ... Mr. Bill (wee willy) Bower!!!

June 13, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  24. Brad

The PUMA people are just a bunch of crybabies who didnt get their way.

You guys should count yourselves LUCKY the DNC even gave half-votes to FL and MI. These states knew the consequences and broke the rules anyways. Hillary agreed to that, and only started campaigning that their votes count *after* she failed to win on Super Tuesday.

Youre upset because you say not picking Hillary means youre throwing away 18 million votes??? First, do you know how an election works? People vote on a choice, and the choice with the most votes wins. Second, Obama had 18 million + votes too, and MORE than Hillary. So you would throw out Obama's 18 million votes? How is that not extremely hypocritical? Why are Hillary's 18 million votes worth more than Obama's 18 million? I thought EVERY vote counted???

Now, on to the ridiculousness of the claim that Hillary cares about "every" vote. She doesnt count the caucuses. How is that fair? She bashed Obama for a "48 state" strategy, but then she only counts the votes of 36 states??? What? HYPOCRITICAL!

And how can you count the MI vote when Obama's name wasnt even on the ballot? Yeah, real fair to count votes in a one candidate race. Real democratic.

And what about that span of time where Hillary was trying to get Superdelegates to vote her in over Obama, when she was still losing in every metric (no matter how you counted the votes), saying superdelegates could vote for whoever? All of a sudden it's UNdemocratic to have superdelegates pick a winner when just a month earlier, that exactly what Hillary was trying to do??? HYPOCRITICAL!

Although, come to think of it, you PUMA people are so hypocritical in your "logic" saying Hillary should have won, no wonder youre going to the party of hypocrisy and voting McCain. Youll fit right in.

June 13, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. Michael

For all of you who are so willing to vote for McCain because Hillary lost, I just have to ask you if you've all lost your minds??? Have you no concept of what McCain stands for? How can any of you who were true Hillary supporters now turn and vote for McCain who is opposed to Roe v Wade, opposed to civil liberties, opposed to health care as espoused by Hillary and Obama, opposed to nearly everything Hillary stood for? Go ahead, vote for McCain and shoot yourselves in the head at the same time! It's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. You want more right wing Supreme Court justices? Such stupidity!

June 13, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |