June 13th, 2008

A Clinton backer turns to McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign last week."]
(CNN) – After eight years of a Bush White House, Will Bower was looking for a Democrat to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009. But not just any Democrat. Bower wanted Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination and move back into the home she left in January 1993.

After a bitter primary battle Clinton conceded the race to Barack Obama last week urging her supporters to back her rival. Bower heard the message, but he is not going to follow it. Instead, he said in an interview he plans to vote for Republican John McCain and has formed “Party Unity My A–,” otherwise known as PUMA to express his frustration at the Democratic Party.

WATCH: Hillary Clinton throw her support behind Obama

The initiative he said is “to unite voters who don't want Barack Obama as president.”

The 36 year-old Washington resident said his anger is not just directed at Obama, but the party as a whole.

“[The] Democratic Party has thrown away democratic principles through this primary season," charged Bower, who pointed to the delegate sanctions levied by the DNC against Michigan and Florida. "If parties won't uphold democratic principles; who will?"

The group is predominantly comprised of female Clinton supporters, said Bower. The Clinton-turned-McCain supporter said he has also helped launch the “Just Say No Deal,” a nationwide coalition he estimated has two million voters who are also vowing to ‘say no’ to the Illinois senator come November.

Bower acknowledged Obama will be crowned the Democratic nominee at the party’s August convention, but said he holds out hope that the GOP will uncover potentially harmful information between now and then. At that time, “the party might be desperate for another candidate," he said.

1. Voice of Reason

Although I supported Obama in the primaries, I resolved early on to support Hillary should she win the Democratic nod. I admit, I grew to hate her and her mismanaged campaign tactics, but greater than my hate for Hillary was my fear of McCain's total willingness to embrace the failed policies of the Bush administration. Were you supporting Hillary because she was potentially the first woman president, or were you supporting her because of her democratic core values? Were you supporting her because of her famous last name or because she would have initiated change in he current style of government?

I hope that you supported her because she is a Democrat and because under John McSame we can expect to see fuel prices rise to $7 per gallon, lobbyists still in control of the White House, a cold shoulder foreign policy program towards certain Mid East countries and an ongoing war in Iraq. Come on people, do not cut off your noses in spite of your faces. Like it or not, Senator Obama will be our next president, and I think it is fair to say that Hillary will support him. Don't you think you should too?

June 13, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. california kid

well I'm not voting for Obama either. I will go McCain in November.

June 13, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. Sandy

It makes me laugh, you call the Hillary supporters cry babies but look at who’s doing all the name calling.

I am a Democrat who will be voting for John McCain.

June 13, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  4. jeff

vote McCain and suffer another 4 more years, don't complain economy and the war in Iraq.

June 13, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  5. Joe - Chicago, IL

Can't really blame the Clinton supporters. If Clinton won the nomination, I would not have voted for her. She voted in favor of war in Iraq, which is a disqualifier for my vote. She's also related to an ex-president and I hate political dynasties, a reason I've voted against my Chicago's mayor each time he's run since I've been old enough to vote.

Clinton's political tactics can best be compared to a Suicide bomber. She unleashed issues to harm Obama that could also harm her, and she damaged the party she was counting on to help her win the general election. I suspect many democrats will remember that next time she runs, and it will make it very hard for her to win. So ultimately, PUMA is damaging Clinton as much as it damages anyone else.

I forsee a November win fueled by the outrage of Clintons supporters. I forsee a McCain second term, despite the fact the country will feel pretty apathetic about giving him a second term. I forsee the overturning of Roe v. Wade. I forsee more cramping down on our civil liberties in things like the patriot act. I forsee corporate interests put above those of the working American, and I forsee the disasterous foreign policy decisions that will bog our military down in senseless engagements while we fail to address to the real threats facing the world.

Do I blame Clinton or her spporters for this? No. Its just American politics.

June 13, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  6. Roc

Is this guy a racist or just plain dumb? The differences between the policies of Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton are a difference without a distinction and because his candidate lost the primary he wants to vote against his best interest (if he was truly a Clinton supporter).

What an idiot along with all the other people that feel that way? I hope McCain wins and gas hits $10 per gallon, 2 million more homes get foreclosed on and we end up in a war in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela. What idiots????

Experience...the same experience that led McSame to support a gas tax holiday that every economist in the country said was a dumb idea. If that's what experience gets you, you can keep it!!!

June 13, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  7. PHONY BALONEY

A real Hillary supporter and a real democrat would not be able to vote for McCain. This guy must've only been in it for the money. McCain has vowed to make overturning Roe a priority. He has persistently voted against women rights, civil rights, service people and homosexuals and voted with GW 95% of the time during the past eight years.

This jerk can go FH!

June 13, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. Obama All The Way!

Good! It's a good thing they are leaving the democratic party. Better to weed out the riffraff now than later. We don't need any traitors who are flipfloppers and unreliable for the good of the nation.
    And to those who say Obama isn't qualified or too young or too green, just look at your current president! That's what you are voting for in November. Maybe you like $5.00 + gas!
    Go away and don't come back!

June 13, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. JP

OK, so when McCain stacks the Supreme Court with more conservatives who overturn Roe v. Wade, continues the war in Iraq which leads to thousands of more American deaths, and continues to strip away our civil liberties, we can thank the PUMAS. And if BO loses in 2008, what makes you think the Dems are going to nominate HRC in 2012? It will never happen.

June 13, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. I AM WITH BOWER

AND THIS IS WHY:

OBAMA’S OWN WORDS IN NOV/2004 WHEN INTERVIEWED AFTER BECOMING IL NEXT US SENATOR AND ASKED BY A REPORTER WHY HE HAD RULED OUT RUNNING NATIONALLY:

OBAMA’S RESPONSE: “YOU KNOW, I’M A BELIEVER IN KNOWING WHAT YOU’RE DOING WHEN YOU APPLY FOR A JOB AND I THINK THAT IF I WERE TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER RUNNING ON A NATIONAL TICKET, I WOULD ESSENCIALLY HAVE TO START NOW BEFORE HAVING SERVED A DAY IN THE SENATE, NOW THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE COMFORTABLE DOING THAT BUT I’M NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.

I called the DNC a couple of days ago and asked them to elaborate on SPECIFIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS BY MR. OBAMA (FROM THE TIME OF HIS INTERVIEW IN NOV/2004) that they felt qualify him to run nationally, I was SO SHOCKED, the person that answered the call said he could not think of something at the moment but that he would RESEARCH my question and call me back later!

June 13, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  11. Farrell, Houston, Tx

BUSH DIDN'T V.P. MCCAIN FOR HIS TWO TERMS SO THAT BRINGS TO QUESTION, WHO'S THE SMARTEST, BUSH OR YOU?

June 13, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  12. No BARAMA

Keep drinking the kool-aid. Clean campaign. Obviously, you are very delusional. Give a big shout out to the DNC especially Dean, Pelosi, and Brazile for aiding and abetting this mess.

June 13, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Eric

MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD SHOW HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS THE DOCUMENT SHE SIGNED AGREEING TO THE FACT THAT THE VOTES FROM FL AND MI WOULD NOT COUNT. SHE ONLY DID THAT SCANDALOUS MOVE ONCE SHE FOUND OUT SHE WAS NOT WINNING. IT WAS NOT OBAMA'S FAULT.

YOU HILLARY SUPPORTERS ARE A BUNCH OF WHINNERS, I KNOW WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE PROMOTING UNITY THROUGHOUT THE PARTY, BUT AS LONG AS YOU CRY ABOUT SOMETHING TO INSIGNIFICANT AS THIS, YOU PROVE US TO BE RIGHT!!!!

June 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. the other jd

what an idiot

June 13, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. Kim

How can any self respecting woman vote for McBush. When he returned from the war he was a womanizer who cheated on his wife who had waited eight years for his return. He then dumped her when she bacame ill and he married a young rich Barbie Doll. He has been heard and recorded , calling his current wife by foul filthy decriptive names. McBush is a bitter and dangerous old man who will put this country in worse economic condition and never ending war.

June 13, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. andrew s. rostolder

another moron willing to give up his well being to make good on a grudge. ultimatly we get what we deserve...........this idiot will hopfully get what he deservs

June 13, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. Cheryll

I am not a sore loser..I am doing what I think is best for this country. Obama is not it. He is a racist, sexist and will turn the country into a socialist country beyond imagine. He will tax, tax, tax. That is the only way all his programs will be supported. Obama ran a clean campaign? Has anyone looked at the blog by his blank eyed followers. They in and of themselves will never allow me to vote for him or be party to their hatred. What they truly fear and hate is anyone who thinks for themselves and refuses to get on their bandwagon...

I feel sorry for them..they gave up their individual right to think nad make their own decisions...now they just keep repeating hate, hateful, and hate filled insanity...

June 13, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  18. Hillary Supporter for McCain

I will vote for McCain because( I unlike many of the people in this blog) am able to put my country ahead of my party. I am American First, Democrat second.

June 13, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. Tim from Eugene OR.

To the weak A _S person above "Anonymous" tell Rush and Hannity to be thankful Obama is going to be president or they probably wouldn't have a job over the next four years. "anonymous" just pathetic that you can't even create a name.

June 13, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. Jason

These people weren't Clinton supporters-they were Clinton groupies. They cared more about the person than their stances...and when Hillary endorsed Obama, they were more concerned about their own hurt feelings than her.

McCain is the polar opposite of what both Hillary and Obama stand for, so a vote for him is a sign of a very immature person. And in the end, they won't make a bit of difference. Obama will still win by a landslide.

June 13, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. Zion

If people like these want to leave the party because their nominee did not win, fine.... They love Hillary so much until they are willing to destroy her party in order to prove a point, fine... I was angry with Hillary but you better believe if she had won, I would have voted for her because she shares my DEMOCRATIC BELIEFS. Bower was on Fox News...THAT SAYS IT ALL.. Roger if you have to mention you're educated....Chances are..you're not.

June 13, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  22. annie

There should be more people like Will Bower in this country!!!!! He is not alone with his feeling about obama, dnc and the demo party. I was a demo but never again – GO McCAIN!

June 13, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. Ann, MI

Get over yourselves. You are willing to throw away your values, and frankly Senator Clinton's values, because your candidate didn't win?

10 candidates declared that they wanted to be president. But only one can be first. That's why its called a race.

June 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. SH

The Globe and Mail is reporting that Colin Powell told a Vancouver BC audience that he might vote for Obama. Just thought CNN might want to know.

June 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. NC Love Obama

WHEN Obama WINS IN NOVEMBER, He should send all of the PUMA members to Iraq and send OUR TROOPS HOME TO THEIR WIVES AND CHILDREN

June 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |