June 13th, 2008

A Clinton backer turns to McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign last week."]
(CNN) – After eight years of a Bush White House, Will Bower was looking for a Democrat to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009. But not just any Democrat. Bower wanted Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination and move back into the home she left in January 1993.

After a bitter primary battle Clinton conceded the race to Barack Obama last week urging her supporters to back her rival. Bower heard the message, but he is not going to follow it. Instead, he said in an interview he plans to vote for Republican John McCain and has formed “Party Unity My A–,” otherwise known as PUMA to express his frustration at the Democratic Party.

WATCH: Hillary Clinton throw her support behind Obama

The initiative he said is “to unite voters who don't want Barack Obama as president.”

The 36 year-old Washington resident said his anger is not just directed at Obama, but the party as a whole.

“[The] Democratic Party has thrown away democratic principles through this primary season," charged Bower, who pointed to the delegate sanctions levied by the DNC against Michigan and Florida. "If parties won't uphold democratic principles; who will?"

The group is predominantly comprised of female Clinton supporters, said Bower. The Clinton-turned-McCain supporter said he has also helped launch the “Just Say No Deal,” a nationwide coalition he estimated has two million voters who are also vowing to ‘say no’ to the Illinois senator come November.

Bower acknowledged Obama will be crowned the Democratic nominee at the party’s August convention, but said he holds out hope that the GOP will uncover potentially harmful information between now and then. At that time, “the party might be desperate for another candidate," he said.

1. Jodi

To think that because he may have presented information and opinions that may have disagreed with our own is a reason to be cheering that he died just brought DEB and NANCY FROM FL to a new low. Hillary, the caring person she is would be ashamed of you both. Just know that today was TIM"s day but the day is not over and it could be your too and if not there is still tomorrow.
    You guys are utterly dispicable

CNN please post this. I want them to see it

June 13, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. McCain = Pain

I guess you didn't vote for Hillary because of the issues. Obama and Hillary are essentially the same issue-wise. To vote for the total opposite person (McCain) is insanity!

June 13, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. Kevin

P= Petty
    U= Unbelievably Stupid
    M = Misguided
    A = I'm not allowed to say in polite company.

For each PUMA on this list, I've added 5 new registered voters to my goal... You see, PUMAs while you whine about a "stolen" election, and throwing away democratic principles this primary season (what a joke, these are the same rules that were used to nominate Bill Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore, etc.) I'll be spending my two weeks vacation registering new voters. Each time you whine, I get fired up and add more to my list.

You should be familiar with Monsters Inc – you know the movie for little kids – in it, the monsters use children's screams as energy for their city (a little freaky I know) – I'm going to use your whines for my energy.

Keep it coming PUMAs.

June 13, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. Randy

The way my party turned on Hillary not that she did not win but how she was treated. Makes me sick and I will never vote for Obama. He is so unprepared and will not win, the republicans are going to bring everything the media should have.

June 13, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Annie

Count me in as another life long democrat vowing not to vote for Obama.

I cannot in good conscious support a candidate who spent the last 20 years participating in a raci st church.

As democrats we have always stood up against raci sm why should we stop now just because the candidate is black,

June 13, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. Haden

The Democratic Party did uphold democratic principles. They have rules on when primaries may be conducted. Florida and Michigan violated those rules. Anger should be directed at the people in those states who decided to violate the rules, not Senator Obama. If elections are not conducted according to rules, then there is no democracy and the potential for corruption is endless.

June 13, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Seam, Florida

People like Bower are pathetic. Yes, Hillary had many, many voters, but guess what – so did Obama. Someone had to loose. Get over it already.

June 13, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. America the p

WHY DO PEOPLE HATE OBAMA SO MUCH? WHAT DID HE DO TO YOU PEOPLE TO MAKE YOU AIM YOUR BITTERNESS TOWARDS HIM? WE ARE ON THE SAME TEAM are not we?!?!

I dont think Americans are that stooopid...Hate to admit it but....

this is pure racism!I am convinced that If Mccain was black ...people just wouldn't vote!

Never seen this kind of bitterness before when the race was all white males.

America will criticize Obama for every little mishap of his Presidency. Just because his inexperieneced? Yeah right!

June 13, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. Dem in NW

way to go!

June 13, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. TXBad1

I also, Have changed and will Vote for McCain, we Voted for Hillary for a reason not Obama, If the DNS and super delegates do not accept that than let them win with out Hillary supporter Votes! Obamanites you ask for it you got it!

No Obama in 2008

June 13, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Tabet Killianah

People supporting HRC are doing so on the basis of two points:

1. They are racist and can't stand seeing Obama in the House

2. They are feminist, and can't stand to see a man winning in a more
    correct way...For a HRC win would mean women are now taken
    seriously or in another way, they can bull men.
    What a way of thinking is that?

3. They hate the Administration of Bush but are ready to vote MAc Cain
    Are you confused dear Friends? What will you achieve with hatred?

God bless you!

June 13, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. carrie bama

who cares?
    i dont
    and millions more dont,too

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Muckinello

Good. After backing up a looser he can back up the other one!

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. Von Bismark Vienna

BOUGHT TO DO THE DIRTY JOB!

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  15. The United Segregated States of America

I dont think Americans are that stooopid...Hate to admit it but....

Never seen this kind of bitterness before when the race was all white males.

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. M.S. Indiana

Talk about showing true colors... bet he was not going to stay HRC supporter ones the primaries was over anyways.... nice jump flip floper

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. Michael

Hillary is out...Obama is in: GET OVER IT! You Billary supporters really crack me up. You believe in Clinton but since she didn't make it, you'll vote against your principals just for SPITE! How childish...and dangerous! I will hold Billary supporters accountable if McCain is elected (which isn't gonna happen), as well as accountable for more military deaths/wounded in action in Iraq, not to mention the numerous innocent civilians that will be killed/wounded in an "unfounded and unpopular war" which we started.

Vote McCain= More dealths, more lies, and more war....not to mention how lame is on the economy! God help us.

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. Hillary for President

Never Obama , he will lose in November. Change ? what change is talking about? I did not see o heard anething different? he is a loser he is dremer what scary! Go Hillary o McCaine 09.

June 13, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. McMillan Vanquest

it takes a real goon and a numbskull to vote against his/her own economic and political interest by supporting a republican candidate.

For each one of you who will not vote for Obama for whatever selfish and vicious reasons, there are several decent new voters, enlightened Republicans and independents who will vote for Obama.

America is moving forward and all of you backward twerps will be left behind to wallow in your ignorance.

June 13, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. A) Why is this newsworthy?

B) If you seriously sit down and make a list of the issues and where McCain and Obama stand it will be obvious (if you're looking for an honest, responsible, wise and visionary candidate) that Obama is the best bet (at least I think so). Seriously, go to his website and READ what he plans to do. Then, do the same with McCain. Don't rely on the media. As far as the delegate deal, my opinion is that the Bylaws committee found a really fair compromise. The didn't have to do anything, period. The argument that Hillary got more votes A) isn't exactly true (we have no idea how many voted for Obama in MI and it doesn't include the caucus states) AND B) WE ALL knew the rules of the game before and have known them for years! THE PRIMARIES ARE ABOUT DELEGATES. With that said, I do think our voting system needs a serious tune-up. I will argue w/ anyone over the experience issue. Obama has the WISDOM to lead . Just look at his campaign. The way he's handled the gaffes and the smears. His speeches. Seriously folks, can you name any other nominee in history that has been funded by and for the people? McCain hasn't. And believe me– he will be handing out lobbyist favors when/if he is in office. Those favors will affect us– one way or another.

June 13, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. Susan

I am so tired of the Hillary supporters and their threats, excuses, and overall negativity.

You want to vote for McCain, go ahead. Who really cares? Clearly you're not onboard with Democratic policies and philosophies, so your original vote for Hillary seems a little shaky.

Enjoy your endless war, the return to coat hangers, wage inequality, and a president who can't even get through one day without a gaffe. Voting out of spite is so childish, but I wouldn't expect much more.

June 13, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Ralph

This guy cannot even be found on google. Even i am searchable. Who cares.. Let all the people who hold s grudge against Obama ( he did not even do anything wrong, he ran a clean campaign and won) vote for McCain and come back in 4 years and start whining about the real issues.
    Put your petty, little baby attitude aside and think whats best for you, your children and grand children at heart. If you vote McCain, better have some kind of explanation for those Children when they ask you who you voted for and why...

June 13, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. JB Cal

Hey Bakersfield, I'm in California also. I'll be voting for Obama. I guess that cancels your vote.

June 13, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. T in Kzoo

To those who'd vote for McCain out of spite:

You're going to show those big, bad, mean Obama supporters and DNC members by "punishing" them by voting for McCain so that Hillary can have a shot in 2012?

If McCain wins, it will be perceived to be the fault of Clinton's supporters and Clinton herself. In that case, not only will she never have any political career ever again, she will go down in history as single-handedly launching the US into the Dark Ages with her bitter supporters. Hers, her husband's, and by extension, her daughter's reputation will be forever soiled, and people will remember the day when the people of the United States of America hated the Clintons more than they hated 8 full years of George W. Bush.

June 13, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Davis

Totally Agree. Hillary was the best choice to get the Dems elected. I will throw my support behind McCain. He will be a one term president then Hill can run again in 2012. I just cannot support Obama who has no experience. Talk is cheap but we need substance behind the talk.

June 13, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |