June 13th, 2008

A Clinton backer turns to McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/08/art.clinton.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign last week."]
(CNN) – After eight years of a Bush White House, Will Bower was looking for a Democrat to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in January 2009. But not just any Democrat. Bower wanted Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic nomination and move back into the home she left in January 1993.

After a bitter primary battle Clinton conceded the race to Barack Obama last week urging her supporters to back her rival. Bower heard the message, but he is not going to follow it. Instead, he said in an interview he plans to vote for Republican John McCain and has formed “Party Unity My A–,” otherwise known as PUMA to express his frustration at the Democratic Party.

WATCH: Hillary Clinton throw her support behind Obama

The initiative he said is “to unite voters who don't want Barack Obama as president.”

The 36 year-old Washington resident said his anger is not just directed at Obama, but the party as a whole.

“[The] Democratic Party has thrown away democratic principles through this primary season," charged Bower, who pointed to the delegate sanctions levied by the DNC against Michigan and Florida. "If parties won't uphold democratic principles; who will?"

The group is predominantly comprised of female Clinton supporters, said Bower. The Clinton-turned-McCain supporter said he has also helped launch the “Just Say No Deal,” a nationwide coalition he estimated has two million voters who are also vowing to ‘say no’ to the Illinois senator come November.

Bower acknowledged Obama will be crowned the Democratic nominee at the party’s August convention, but said he holds out hope that the GOP will uncover potentially harmful information between now and then. At that time, “the party might be desperate for another candidate," he said.

1. Paul

How is this news? So when Joe Schmo citizen decides to support McCain, it is worthy of CNN news coverage? This is poor journalism.

June 13, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. stu

who's this clown?

June 13, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Jiji

Sore losers.

June 13, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. BW

PUMA!!!!

It is either Hillary in 2008, or McCain in 2008/Hillary in 2012 for me.

I will not vote for Obama, even with Hillary on the ticket in the VP slot (what an insult!).

June 13, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. People make no sense

Will somebody ask if the republicans penalized Florida and Michigan in the same manner and the DNC? Ask him, why didn't 5 if Hillary supporters on the DNC board vote against giving both states delegates full votes recently? Ask him, didn't the very same Clinton campaign manager head the DNC board that penalized both states last year?

I guess undemocratic means, don't mess up my money or I'll go against you. Why did Hillary supporters threaten the DNC with not giving contributions if they didn't overturn what Hillary campaign people put into place? The very same legal document that had Hillary Clinton's signature

June 13, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. Chandler from Arizona

Whoever else out there that is democrat turned Mccain is foolish and its obvious that they have no common sense #1This guy has said in the past Loud and Clear that he doesnt have knowledge on the economy #2Mccain has voted 8 straight times not to raise the minimum wage.....#3 Mccain cant read his own speeches from a teleprompter #4 He's voted several times against having a holiday for MLK....HELLO! MLK was a man who played a major roll in bringing americans together!

OBAMA FOR CHANGE 08!

June 13, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. A Real Democrat from Georgia

When I saw this story I had to blog. I cannot believe that CNN would waste page space with this garbage. I won't resort to name calling even though there are several that apply to this "gentleman". I respect Hillary Clinton greatly for all she accomplished but when I see stories like this one, I think I may have identified one of the problems with her campaign. Maybe she should have required people that worked for her campaign to at least be Democrats and share democratic ideals. It seems that many of the people that were on the Hillary train just wanted to see her elected and truly did not care about her proposed policies or campaign platform. HILLARY SUPPORTERS, PLEASE LISTEN UP PLEASE. HERE'S THE TRUTH.
    1. BARACK AND HILLARY'S POLICIES ARE VIRTUALLY THE SAME!
    2. NEITHER BARACK NOR HILLARY MADE THE RULES BUT BOTH AGREED TO ABIDE BY THEM BEFORE AND AFTER THE VOTERS VOTED.
    3. DON'T BE DECEIVED, REPUBLICANS KNOW THAT THE ONLY WAY TO WIN IS TO DIVIDE THE TRUE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BY PAYING CRACKPOTS LIKE THIS GUY TO DRIVE A WEDGE BETWEEN US.

The Democratic party has always been one of inclusion. Whites have stood with blacks, jews have stood with christians and muslims, gays have stood with the straight and men have stood with women.

We are one Party. We are the True Democrats and we will WIN.

A Real Democrat

June 13, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. Josh MN

How is this even an issue amongst rational humans? How can people vote against everything they were fighting for out of spite?

Let me present an analogy to bitter Clinton supporters:

You want to improve your health and have the choice to eat an apple or orange. You prefer the apple but due to various reasons your grocery store only carries oranges. You become angry and eat a bag of skittles instead, causing long-term damage to your health so you can feel vindicated against the decision of the grocery store.

Key for uneducated:
    Health = US economy,enironment, etc, apple= Clinton, orange = Obama, skittles = McCain, grocery store = democratic election process

June 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Mike in NOVA

How hard is it for people to comprehend!!!

The DNC's decision on Florida and Michigan and the "1/2 votes" HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HILLARY LOSING!!!

YOU COULD"VE COUNTED FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN 100% AND OBAMA WOULD HAVE STILL LED IN PLEDGED DELEGATES (and unpledged)...

18 million people may have voted for Hillary, but MORE THAN 18 MILLION PEOPLE VOTED OR CAUCASED FOR BARACK OBAMA!

June 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. Matthew, Houston, TX

Thank you, CINCINNATI, OHIO! I was trying to come up with an appropriate meaning for that and then saw yours. It is not only clever but true.

Of course, there is another meaning for PUMA and most men know what it is . . . 😉

June 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Rich

It is simple. When you vote, look at the issues. Obama and McCain are total opposites. Hillary and McCain is total opposites for that matter. Vote on the issues. Let's be adults here and be good examples to our children. If you vote on the issues, Hillary Supporters will vote for Obama. It is just that simple.

June 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Ralph

That reminds me, all you who voted McCain in spite of Obama, come years the clintons will still have their millions and not feel any inconvenience while you will be flipping burgers all night long to make ends meet. Nitwits !!

June 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. Rena

What an idiot!! Remember is not about Hillary but about the American people as a whole. Wow!! These are the type of people running our country; I shouldn't be amazed this is why our country is in the state it is in. Yes, this is the result of Hillary Clinton. If is quack like a duck and it sounds like a duck then it is a duck. This is one of Hillary's babies she delivered. Please grow up!!!

June 13, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  14. Loretta from California

I am learning so much this election year. It's not like Senator Obama is the only American candidate for President that has had little experience IN THE POLITICAL ARENA.

After ALMOST 30 years as a Democrat, I'm learning how I am expected to vote, when my favorite nominee is not selected.

And what you asked have I learned? I HAVE LEARNED THAT I SHOULD VOTE FOR THE OTHER PARTY.

June 13, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Republican for Obama

As it is now, about 17% of HRC democrats will vote for McCain. That will probably drop to 10%, which is usual in most elections. I bet more than 10% of republicans will vote for Obama so the two will compensate each other. In addition, republicans are much more dissatisfied with their party choice then democrats and a lot of them will stay home.

Obama will win and Hillary will be gone forever. Let's hope these puma nutcases leave with her.

June 13, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. Dan , TX

So a republican broke ranks to vote for Clinton and now that Clinton's out he's going back to the republicans.

And why would any democrat follow him rather than Clinton? Just trying to understand – are they all republicans?

June 13, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  17. Oren Ovadia, California

California for P. U. M. A !!!! Don't you love it... Democrats are more United than ever!!!! Pelosi you are sooo right when you said that the Democrats will Unite. Frankly my Dear, I don't see it.

June 13, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. tina

I am a republican and I was planning on voting for McCain UNTIL I came across this peie of information about him. I was unaware that after his first wife stood by him while he was a POW and and stood by him after his return and helped him deal with the repercussions of that horrible ordeal, that whn she had a stroke and was left crippled that he divorced her and married Cindy just four weeks later. Now call me old fashioned or whatever you wish but for me that speaks to the kind of character that Mr MCCain has. It is no wonder that just today he is pronouncing that everyone should LAY OFF the wives. He doesn't want people to dig into his past wife situation. I have voted republican in the past not so much on the issues, but I guess for other reasons. But this year I am taking this election very serious and I am now listening to Mr OBama and I like what he stands for and I believe that he is honest and I think he has the best interest of the nation at heart.

June 13, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  19. Mike, ATL GA

If these people would spend half the time they are spending on opposing Obama trying to make a difference in this world, we could be a lot better off. Just selfish..... Oh and who cares who you vote for?? That's your right. Just keep it too yourself. I for one am tired of you complainers. GET A LIFE!!!!

June 13, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  20. larry

i feel for all your kids as they go off to iraq

June 13, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  21. Amy Kathleen

How can someone who championed a female candidate also support a man who is not only against a woman's right to choose, but is against birth control in general? They are either very, very stupid, or the greatest hypocrites the world has ever known.

Just another reason to remain a sane independent, rather than a party sheep incapable of intelligent thought.

June 13, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  22. Republican for Obama

PUMA IS A JOKE!!!!!!! Rules ARE rules, and Hillary LOST. And if the roles were reversed, Hillary would be FURIOUS if someone tried to change the rules...just like she had the DNC rules committee do.

PUMA? um no, PUMA "MY" A–!!

Obama '08

June 13, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  23. Spencer

I find it really REALLY funny that these PUMA peopel say 18 million strong and will never vote for Obama and wait 4 years for Clinton
    but didn't do the math to see 18 million also voted against her and will again she will not win in '12. and if you are homeless you can't vote anyway so see what heappens when we are in the toliet because of vain stupidy.
    i hope you can pay 8.00 for gas and when we have the draft again i hope it makes an exception for him to go, because if you are not willing to put your life on the line for this belief please don't put mine or my families!!!!!

June 13, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  24. Luke Brown, Charleston SC

This nobody warrants a national story? Get real.

June 13, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  25. Chi4Obama

Hey McCain "PUMA" supporters – GROW UP!

June 13, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |