June 13th, 2008

An early Fathers Day gift for John McCain

Meghan McCain gave her father an early Father's Day gift.

Meghan McCain gave her father an early Father's Day gift.

(CNN)—Meghan McCain gave her father an early Father’s Day gift Friday when she changed her political party affiliation from an Independent to a Republican.

Joined by her mother, Cindy McCain, the younger McCain re-registered at the State Capitol Executive Building in Phoenix, Arizona.

In a statement on the aspiring first daughter’s blog, Meghan McCain explained she made the decision as a symbol of commitment to her father.

Meghan McCain, who was registered as an Independent since she was old enough to vote, said in a statement the choice represents her faith in her father’s “ability to be an effective leader for our country and to grow and strengthen the Republican Party when he is elected President of the United States.

“Happy Father's Day, Dad!” she also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Elizabeth

USAF June 13th, 2008 1:21 pm ET

To You Obama Supporters.

You are all way to scary….Way to try and unite the country. I think you all are really part of some crazy cult. Does this have to do with the second coming of the Hale-Popp commit? Just let me know the arrival date so I can go hide.

---
    It will hit the earth in 5 hours.

Quick you better go hide now! Go find a nice cave and get inside.

The Earth is going to end in 5 hours.

June 13, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. By the way Daddy

Why did you dump Mommy for Cindy when she was disabled?
    Some father.
    I like spending Cindys money though. So Happy Fathers Day.

June 13, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. David Newport, OR

wow...his daughter changed her party from Independent to Republican. THAT is impressive.

USAF, can there be a more perfect example of the uneducated flocking to the Republican party? Your grammar is in need of major revision.

June 13, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm

Kerry is a Vietnam Vet – The Republicans and even the vets swiftboated him.
    Now they back McCain

Kerry received Purple hearts – The Republicans wore mock purple hearts on their faces at the Republican convention.
    Now they back Mc Cain

Kerry married a rich woman – Republicans stated that he married her for her money
    Now they back McCain

Kerry was faithful to his wives – McCain had an affair with a woman who didn't care that he was married with children.
    Now they back McCain

So much for the, "Party with Values"

P.S. Just where IS that Flag Pin John??

June 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. Lisa

Billy from FL
    Now you are attacking Obama's children, what kind of moron are you, never mind, I know what kind. You say they should never speak in public, you should never comment anywhere again. I am surprised CNN posted your comment, maybe you are a fox reporter under cover!!!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. Ken

Billy from Fl, where was YOUR momma when YOU decided to "speak in public" here? You neo-morons are really entertaining......

June 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Paul

Which of McCain's babys' mommas did she pop out of?

June 13, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Tom

who cares?

June 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. tedious898

" That's not change we can believe in"

Sorry McCain supporters...I couldn't resist

June 13, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Posn

Shut up Billy from Fl you dont know Michelle Obama you only know what the media tells you to think about her. Can w e pleeeeeese still to what is important!

June 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Glad to be an Independent

McCain's daughter should feel she is free to maker her own choices. My parents are Democrats, but I am not. I am an Independent. I have NO DESIRE to be a DEMOCRAT and I HAVE NO DESIRE to be a REPUBLICAN. Neither party satisfies me enough to join them. My young people like myself are Independents. I would love for the majority of the electorate to become independents. I would love for the election law barriers to come down in each state so that we can have true democracy. I want more viable political parties. The majority of Americans are centrists or moderates which means the really are not Democrats nor Republicans. Sure the U.S. is not a true democracy, it is a republic. More competition will lead to better government. I would love to have a debate with 4 presidential candidates from 3 different political parties.

June 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. Nova from NV

Here's how politicians make money:
    1. purchase a piece of real estate at market or below market price.
    2. Have one of your friends purchase that real estate for a very high inflated value.
    3. Repeat step one.

That's how Obama made money in Chicago with his now-convicted felony friend Rezko. Go ahead Obamabots, try to fact check this one on FightTheSmear.com

June 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. Phil

wow. McCain's daughter supports him. Well, that may make me reconsider! Wait. Is she his daughter from Cindy or from a previous wife? Or is she a step-daughter? I truly don;t know the answer. I can't remember when he abandoned the last wife?

June 13, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. Tim in NC

Nothing like trotting out the "sex appeal" to win over those undecided male and Hillary-supporters! Good play! Bravo! Nothing says "Campaign Victory" like having your daughter try and help you on the campaign trail , right Hillary...

Keep at it Grandpa, if the ole' ticker keps tickin, you might make through your next hundred days... we'll worry about your FIRST hundred days after that milestone.

June 13, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  15. USAF

To Ben,

What are you like 12......Put some clothes and come up from your parents basement. People like you should not be allowed near a voteing booth especially being from Florida

June 13, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. daro

if you are a bleach blond millionaire with too much make up, aren't you required by law to be a republican? wow BIG story

June 13, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Greenbayguy

Not really a story, but no different than Obama wearing a bike helmet. Neither of these candidates are "top shelf." What is really sad is reading the many rabid comments from those who apparently can't think for themselves. Supporting one candidate does not have to mean ripping the opponent to shreds. You don't get to be a presidential candidate without have some human worth and value to humanity.

June 13, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. Bunny Swan

Yeah ok, I tell you ev'ting. This lady, you know, she looka lika lady. Ok, And so does her daddy. He looka lika lady too. You know, ok. As owner to the Gorgeous Pretty Beauty Nail Salon, I gonna vote for... oh... I cannot tell you, it a secret!

June 13, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. PTBRet

All I hear from the Libs is wah wah wah about Michelle Obama being attacked, yet you emptyheaded Libs can attack a candidates daughter? Absolutely no shame among libs. None at all.

June 13, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. TunnelVision

Didn't one of the BUSH daughters recently write a children's book? Can someone say COPY CAT...or is this a new Republican strategy...lol.more of the same even from their offspring.

June 13, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. Tim, Powder Spring, GA

Kind of a cutie! They should show more pictures of her. Maybe he'd have a chance of winning in the fall.

June 13, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. brandon

women might want to go look on how McCain voted. He's not a good choice for women and thats going to be a major issue in a few months. Its funny how alot of women (hillary supporters) said they are going to vote for McCain without doing any research. A vote for McCain defeat everythang the hillary movement was about. Look up how MCain voted ladys and get serious. Women came to far in this world to be dragged down by this man. I wish all of you well.

June 13, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Darryl Miller

Hey give it up to her, she looks better than Chelsea Clinton.

June 13, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  24. Marie in California

I'm with you, Meghan. I'm also changing my voter registration to Republican.....but from Democrat.

I am totally disgusted at the machinations of the DNC and their Far Left radical fringe (Kennedy, Pelosi, Richardson, Dean, etc.) as they managed, by all sorts of questionable means, to push, shove and drag Obama over the finish line when they met in DC a couple of weeks ago. Obama was selected.....not elected. That sucks.

As for Obama....if I recall correctly, the book about JFK was "The Making of a President." In this nomination, I expect any book about Obama could be called "The Snaking of a President."

McCain – 2008

June 13, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Winthorp

Just as well. You shouldn't run if you can't win your daughters vote.

June 13, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |