June 13th, 2008

An early Fathers Day gift for John McCain

Meghan McCain gave her father an early Father's Day gift.

Meghan McCain gave her father an early Father's Day gift.

(CNN)—Meghan McCain gave her father an early Father’s Day gift Friday when she changed her political party affiliation from an Independent to a Republican.

Joined by her mother, Cindy McCain, the younger McCain re-registered at the State Capitol Executive Building in Phoenix, Arizona.

In a statement on the aspiring first daughter’s blog, Meghan McCain explained she made the decision as a symbol of commitment to her father.

Meghan McCain, who was registered as an Independent since she was old enough to vote, said in a statement the choice represents her faith in her father’s “ability to be an effective leader for our country and to grow and strengthen the Republican Party when he is elected President of the United States.

“Happy Father's Day, Dad!” she also said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. IAMWMD

I hope she didn't leave out approx 60 dozen boxes of depends undergarmets because he's sure gonna need them once Obama starts beating the crap out of him in the debates and general election

June 13, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. BettiH, Indianapolis, IN.

Oh how quaint.

June 13, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. Not sleeping at the switch

Which Daughter from Which wife is this? If this is the one from Cindy I don't care what she thinks of Daddy. I want to hear from the ones who he Cheated on and deserted for Cindys $$$.

Now THOSE Kids are the ones we need to hear from.

June 13, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  4. Hispanic For McCain

Hispanic people especially the Puerto Rican will vote for McCain. Why because the Dem turn their backs on Hillary Clinton!!!!!!!

June 13, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. Reality

HOOK ME UP !!! SHE's HOT !!!! lol

I still wouldnt vote for her father though

OBAMA all the way !!!

June 13, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Chi4Obama

BUSH = MCCAIN; MCCAIN = BUSH

June 13, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. Ginny, CA

Bravo, Beautiful Girl!

June 13, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Donkey Party

Beverly June 13th, 2008 11:28 am ET

Why are democrates such angry people? You're complaining about people being mean and unfair to Mrs. Obama, yet you post mean messages about McCain's daughter??

Double standard from the democrates again!
    ======================================================

It's "Democrats" sweetie, only one "e". Or are you using the Greek spelling? Dolt!

June 13, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. Cat

I'm not sure this is the best article to blog, but since all others are closed. I just wanted to talk about how my small town family of farmers shocked me last night during a politic discussion by saying they would absolutely vote for Obama over McCain! I never thought I would hear my iron-clad republican father say he would vote for a democrat in my whole life! Wow! Barak Obama is a special man, indeed, in how he can cross party lines and reach out to what people need and believe in! A true man for the people! GO OBAMA! You can do it! Your great policies, faith, and hope for a better future has inspired so many! This isn't about "oh, McCain is soooooooo bad, my only choice is to vote for Obama" This is real American people wanting a new America! One they can be proud of, that has respect from the world, and one that they can feel safe raising their children...

June 13, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Paul

Happy Father's Day, dad...for your gift, I've decided to stop thinking for myself!

June 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Patty

Oh poor barack hussein obama, there he goes again playing the race card. Whenever he feels pushed into a corner he plays race. He did it behind the scenes with the Clintons. Pres. Clinton is no racist, but obama is. If he does not want anyone to say anything about his wife then maybe he should keep her at home. She is scarry and she did say some pretty off the wall statements. I can not imagine her being the 1st lady of our great country. GO HILLARY

June 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. Robert NYC & Miami

Faith in her father? What else could she say?

June 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. Mike the Independent from Ohio

Both canidates are jokes, however, after reading what Obama supporters have to say about everything, there is no way I would ever vote for Obama, Obama supporters scare me.... they funny thing is they think they are all right, which is even scarier

June 13, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Yes we can!

An attempt to appeal to young white voters....however, look at her statment: “he has the ability to be an effective leader for our country and to grow and strengthen the Republican Party when he is elected President of the United States."....so her father doesn't want to unite the united states of america?.....it's all about them or no one....anyone who switches their democratic affiliation to mccain for bitter ill feelings that hillary didn't win, then you don't represent hillary at all....

June 13, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  15. Kevin, Austin

Billy from Florida:

"The Clintons and the McCains can be very proud of their children.

Obama's children are not old enough to judge yet, but if they are
    anything like their mother, someone will have to make sure they
    never speak in public."

You know, I have two kids, and when you start picking on children, you've gone too far. You make me sick to be honest.

Because of you, I've add 100 more people to my Get out the Vote goal. Thanks. We'll bury you

June 13, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. McCain-in-4, Clarksburg, MD

Is there any way to moderate only those comments that directly apply to the topic at hand? Love or Hatred of John McCain; Affection or Disaffection with Barack Obama does not advance the debate and signifies a closed mind and shallow thoughts.

I wish Meghan McCain kept her independence.

June 13, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Lamps

John McCain is going to win this one. Trust me.

June 13, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Easy Rider

Perhaps this young lady needs to get a real job and pretend like she's one of us WORKING AMERICANS.

June 13, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. Anita from Arizona

And how does this policital ticker story help me decide what candidate is going help our country???

June 13, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Mike from Westchester

TEXAS TRAIL DOG:

Still trying to create new math, eh?

How do you explain Obama's lead of 5% nationally and growing? How about the fact that he is leading in most of the swing states?

June 13, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. CALL 911

Billy from FL .............McCain is going to pull every skelton out of Obama's closet, and I'm sure there is a lot to come. Are you going to go crying to mama when you look like a fool..............McCain has SKELTONS .............WONDER -Y- HE let YOU OUT!!!!!! ......MEGHAN open up a can of worms WISHING her father HAPPY FATHER DAY now -U- JUMPING on OBAMA – WIFE – KIDS .......................NEED A
    DOCTOR?

June 13, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Conservative from FL

Wow, you people are such dorks. We all now half the puppies who post here work for the campaigns. Nerd Herd

June 13, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Why isn't cutie in Iraq? I gues writing children's books will fight those terrorists more effectively.

June 13, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. Mary in CT

Party affiliations only count in the primaries (in states that do not allow I's to vote) and to pollsters....once you're in the booth, you can do what you want

June 13, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Brenna.

John McCain is hardly an honorable man.

June 13, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |