June 13th, 2008

McCaskill interested in VP?

CNN

Watch McCaskill's comments on the veepstakes.

(CNN) - Is ardent Barack Obama supporter Claire McCaskill interested in the No. 2 spot on the Illinois senator's presidential ticket?

The Missouri Democrat, who has long been an outspoken backer of Obama's presidential bid, didn't exactly shoot down that notion in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, though she did say she expected to be staying put in the Senate.

"I have complete trust in Senator Obama's judgment in this regard," McCaskill said when asked if she thinks she may be on his shortlist of potential running mates.

"And I can't wait to help president Obama swing some really strong punches for change as a senator from Missouri in the United States Senate," she added with a smile.

WATCH Sen. McCaskill discuss why she endorsed Sen. Obama

Winning Missouri has long been considered as an important component to capturing the White House. In all but one election since 1904 the state has voted for the winner of the presidential race.

McCaskill's comments come a day after Obama told McCaskill's hometown newspaper, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, that there are "very few people" who he is closer to.

"There are very few people who are closer to me, who I have relied on more for counsel or advice," he told the paper. "Should I be successful in this campaign, she will be somebody who has the utmost access to the Obama administration."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. FactCheck

> If he picks a female VP and the last name is not Clinton, Obama
    > will enrage 18 million voters.

Not likely. Sure, there'd be about 2-3 million bitter and angry but those folks would be bitter and angry regardless because they (like their candidate) think that the rest of us owe them something.

June 12, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. gene

This is a Clinton supporter, who contributed $200.00, at the request of President Clinton, when she ran for the senate seat, that she barely won. She then turns around and "stabs' the Clinton in the back. Back stabber's do make great running mates. Take Kerry for instances, he stabs Edwards in the back and we now have these two and a host of others. My wife and I will not vote for Obama, we have three choices,vote for McCain, Nader or stay at home.

June 12, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. Never Obama - Anti Obama movement

Keep disrespecting HRC supporters/loyalists.

June 12, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. Bayou Joe

it won't matter, Obama will lose no matter whom he chooses. He is not electable. Too much baggage to carry into the whitehouse.

June 12, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  5. JCB

She will not get my vote, but neither will Obama. This demopcrat will make a big change and vote McCain if Hillary is not VP choice.

June 12, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  6. A-Man

First thing people need to quit saying 18 million will not vote for Obama if he does not pick Hillary. Most of that 18 million is intelligent and want what is best for the country. They vote on issues and end results not on some Hillary spite vote. Again please use your spite to not vote for Obama. Then Hillary for causing it will be done in politics and your highly anti woman republican can serve you. Obama just needs to keep pushing the fact that more of the same from McClain will not turn the economy around, and that the Iraq war, its billions of dollars and its loss of lives has nothing to do with terrorism. As an supporter of McCain listening to him twist the truths on Obama's policies is really turning me off him.

June 12, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. @everyamericans

Is McCloud dizzy?

This man is Keating 5 icon, beds with lobbyist, have an immoral affair with his botox wife, have wife's investments in genocide Darfur, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran, have no clue about the economy, wants to 100yrs war in Iraq, says that withdrawing troops is not important!

JOHN McBUSH has officially LOST HIS BEARINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. R.I.F.

I love Claire but my money is on Joe Biden. Mark my words, you'll see Obama-Biden bumper stickers this fall.

I'm sure Claire will definitly have a cabinet postion. I've seen her in action on CSPAN and she's the real deal. I just think Obama's going with a foreign policy hawk so when he says something and the McCain camp uses the tired "inexperience" line, Biden plays the attack dog and chews up Tucker's memos and spits them out.

Obama/Biden '08

June 12, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. Phil in KC

I like Claire McCaskill. I voted for her and am very happy to have her representing me in the US Senate. She's certainly a big improvement over Jim Talent.
    However, I'm not really sure she brings the right combination to the table for this particular campaign. I'm not trying to take anything away from her, but she is also in her first term as Senator and I think Obama needs someone with more experience – particularly with foreign policy experience.
    Besides, we need at least one Democratic senator from MO. I'd love to see Kit Bond unseated, but I don't think that's going to happen. He holds too many favors and has brought home too much pork.

June 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Down with Obama

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two Idiots together would be lovely!!!

June 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. fact checker

Still For Hill...you should check your "facts". You are thinking of Jean Carnahan, not Claire McCaskill.

June 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. California Voter

That's all we need our two freshmen running the country. What happened to experience . . . . . my goodness.

June 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Mac is back?

Catty Clinton backers will have a hissy fit if A DIFFERENT WOMAN were chosen for VP.

They would be jealousy all around with a lot of hissing and clawing!

June 12, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. @everyamericans

McCain opposes Roe vs. Wade and he has promised to overturn it!
    McCain cheated on his first wife and got married to his trophy botox wife just 3months later....

June 12, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  15. jimmy velman

OBAMA CHOOSING McCASKILL OVER HILLARY IS LIKE CHOOSING
    AN INEXPERIENCED "SYMPATHY" CANDIDATE OVER A TENACIOUS, AND TESTED AND EXPERIENCED HILLARY CLINTON..
    OBAMA WILL FACE CERTAIN DEFEAT IF HE DOES. HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS WILL THEN HAVE THE GREATEST REASON TO DEFECT TO MCCAIN.
    UNFORTUNATELY , IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN WITH McCASKILL THAT SHE WILL LAND THE VP SPOT.

June 12, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  16. Joselito

Obama = Pinocchio

June 12, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Maxine

I agree with Claire Mccaskill Obama would be a great President If given a chance. People our country has elected white male from Northern European Country some 230-or 50 years Now is time for change and in that change comes a biracial man name Obama and People that is a good thing, meaning any race can have a chance to become and make something great out of thier lives by working hard and having a postive out look on life and believing in themselves that great things can happen. So let us all Democratics Vote Obama!!!
    Please let us Democratics come together full force so that we can win back the White House. The Republican Bush's Administration have made a mess out of our ECONOMY and this unpopular war.

June 12, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  18. Shane

What a train wreck. Anyone familiar with Missouri politics knows that Missouri politicians are a nightmare. The current Kansas City, Missouri mayor (whom McCaskill supports) is currently in the midst of a lawsuit because his wife (who serves as a volunteer at City Hall) hurled racial slurs at an employee.

I live on the Kansas side of the state line and I don't believe McCaskill or Kathleen Sebelius (Governor of Kansas) are strong candidates for VP. Neither have the experience that Barack needs behind him.

"STILL FOR HILL" you are mistaking Claire McCaskill with another Missouri politician.

Also, keep in mind that McCaskill ran for Governor of Missouri in 2004 and lost to a Republican. I'm not sure how she can expect to deliver Missouri for Obama with that record.

June 12, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Just the facts

Get it right, "Still for Hill".
    You may be referring to Jean Carnahan, whose husband Mel (former MO governor) was killed in a plane crash shortly before being elected to the U.S. Senate in a victory over John Ashcroft. Jean served two years in the senate before being defeated by Jim Talent. Claire McCaskill defeated Jim Talent. She is a former MO State Auditor and county prosecutor.

June 12, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Jim

She decided to back Obama because her 17 year old daughter screamed at her for 3 days. She is a "mommy please" voter. We need people that have experience to make decisions on their own. This lady is not presidential.

June 12, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. Mary OK

STILL FOR HILL

I think you have McCaskill confused with Carnahan. I don't like McCaskill though. Anyone who says her children, with no life experience, influenced her to vote for Obama, doesn't impress me at all.

June 12, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  22. jimmy velman

WISH THAT AL GORE WOULD ACCEPT THE VP SPOT. BUT ,
    HE'S BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.

June 12, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Jimenez

Please this is the liar lady. The one that lied for him when he snubbed Clinton. Her lips were not even moving. Liar Lady. She can't even hold a candle to Hillary Clinton. So many wanta be's. So many haters.

June 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  24. FEDUP

She makes me sick. Another Senator who has abandoned her primary responsibility to the Senate. She has been on the campaign trail as long as Obama has. There for awhile, I thought she was a candidate. I must admit she would not out shine him, and it is going to be hard for him to find someone who does not.

June 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. BROOKLYN

The ONLY way Obama can win is with Senator Clinton... We will NOT support him otherwise...

June 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |