June 13th, 2008

McCaskill interested in VP?

CNN

Watch McCaskill's comments on the veepstakes.

(CNN) - Is ardent Barack Obama supporter Claire McCaskill interested in the No. 2 spot on the Illinois senator's presidential ticket?

The Missouri Democrat, who has long been an outspoken backer of Obama's presidential bid, didn't exactly shoot down that notion in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, though she did say she expected to be staying put in the Senate.

"I have complete trust in Senator Obama's judgment in this regard," McCaskill said when asked if she thinks she may be on his shortlist of potential running mates.

"And I can't wait to help president Obama swing some really strong punches for change as a senator from Missouri in the United States Senate," she added with a smile.

WATCH Sen. McCaskill discuss why she endorsed Sen. Obama

Winning Missouri has long been considered as an important component to capturing the White House. In all but one election since 1904 the state has voted for the winner of the presidential race.

McCaskill's comments come a day after Obama told McCaskill's hometown newspaper, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, that there are "very few people" who he is closer to.

"There are very few people who are closer to me, who I have relied on more for counsel or advice," he told the paper. "Should I be successful in this campaign, she will be somebody who has the utmost access to the Obama administration."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Robert in Albuquerque

Her nose has been so far up Obama's butt for months you just know she's been wanting something in return for months now. I wanted Hillary but I will vote Obama but I can't stand this woman!

June 12, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. STILL FOR HILL

I'm ready for McCain to pick his running mate... I really hope that it is Bobby Jindal down in Louisiana.

It would actually be great to have a man of color on a ticket who is a patriot to this country...

McCain/Jindal 08 (since I can't have Hillary)

June 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. Steven

Claire McCaskill is not the senator from Missouri that was the widow of the late governor that beat John Ashcroft in the senate election in 2000. That was Mel Carnahan and his wife Jean was selected to the seat. Jean lost the seat in the next election 2002, but Claire got the seat back in 2002 when the Carnahan six year term ended.

Well Claire would make a good choice. But if he picks a woman he should pick Hillary. They would be a very strong ticket, certain to win and get the White House.

June 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. seah

If Obama picks a VP to gain votes in a state, we are in serious trouble.

June 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Debra

I like and respect Claire McCaskill. I've seen a lot of change in her since she won the Senate seat. She's been very supportive of the Black Community, as they have also supported her. I would vote for her any day over Hillary Clinton. Claire McCaskill is a very attractive woman who is graciously coming into her own. She's a professional and she wears her title well. Whatever she does, she will excel in it.

June 12, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. debra

McCaskill should be voted out of office. I saw her talking about how Florida and Michigans votes should not be counted all the while unable to keep herself from smiling ear to ear. This is not someone I would ever want in any kind of office.

June 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. Hillary Supporter

STILL FOR HILL

It was the Gov. Mel Carnahan who died in a plane crash. Carnhan was running against John Ashcroft (former US atty gen) and Ashcroft lost. Carnahan's name remained on the ballot, but his wife Jean filled in for him when he won. Different lady in many, many, many ways! I should know, I'm from MO and I voted for Carnahan. And, McCaskill wasn't married to Paul Wellstone either. He too died in a plane crash along with his wife, daughter, pilot and a few staff members.
    McCaskill is inexperienced.She's just wanting to move up!

CNN do post as some people her do not know what they are talking about!

June 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. Man of Integrity

Obama may be smart as a whip, but he has no integrity, no experience, no love for America and will NOT get our votes in November.

Character does count. Semper Fi. Go McCain.

June 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  9. DJ, LA, CA

Never would work. This would really antagonize the Clinton supporters by picking a female OTHER than Hillary.

June 12, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  10. Jay

@ Democrat AGAINST Obama

Your question posed at the end of your comment should have been directed at yourself. Are you really that naive?

June 12, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  11. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

Lets Talk About Mccain And His Choices. . . . Oh Wait. . . They Are All Out Throwing Mud!

June 12, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  12. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

"There are very few people who are closer to me, who I have relied on more for counsel or advice. Should I be successful in this campaign, she will be somebody who has the utmost access to the Obama administration."

the sane and non-paranoid among us know that this means obama intends on surrounding himself with smart, progressive, intelligent people!

but we TOTALLY inderstand how you can see that comment in such a twisted way--your neocon leaders have used and abused you for years now. you're trapped in an abusive relationship.

June 12, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  13. Loretta from California

Has anyone ever thought that maybe Senator Clinton would prefer not to be VP. If she wants the position, I too believe that she should have it. But what if she doesn't want it?

June 12, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  14. bridgette

Everytime I have seen her she has been so level headed and spoke with such eloquence and intelligence that I think it would only be a positive for him. I of course like Jim Webb, I know they are saying something about this confederate thing but I think it is just a bunch of hot air. I think either one of them would make a good team.

June 12, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  15. walt ohio

to democrat against Obama; He would be stupid to put a loser like your Hillary on his ticket. I know for sure that you don't speak for 18 million women. Maybe 18 whining women with no brains.

June 12, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  16. debra

I heard she won her senate office by hiring a questionable company to get people registered from the slums. They couldn't prove if the company registered for them or the people did. And then she just barely won. I doubt tht she will ever win again after this election and the dirty she did on Michigan and Florida.

June 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  17. Will

"If he picks a female VP and the last name is not Clinton, Obama will enrage 18 million voters.

He isnt that stupid, is he?"

This is a plant, people. Feminist democrats who feel Hillary was cheated would not be upset with Obama for selecting another very well qualified woman to be VEEP. How stupid do these Rush Limbaugh types think we are? Ignore the Clinton or McCain plants. They're here to create chaos and elec McCain, so that he can ruin all the progress women have fought for so hard over the last 30 years.

June 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. Cathy

That is great. If Obama wins we have a president with little experience and if he picks McCaskill we will have a vice president with little experience. They must have about 4 years in the senate between the two of them. I didn't know that leading our county was a developmental opportunity.

June 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. Nick - Arlington, VA

STILL FOR HILL June 12th, 2008 5:14 pm ET

I think this is a smart choice for Obama… This is the woman who was married to a Senator, then he died, then she ran and won with the sympathy vote…

I hope Obama picks her… She has just as much experience as Obama… None..

Hillary at the convention or McCain if necessary
    ----------------------------------

GET A LIFE

June 12, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  20. Travis MS

Jim from IL, learn to spell....

June 12, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. walt ohio

Stll for Hill? What a pathetic person you are. You Hillary die hards deserve each other. You make me nauseous.

June 12, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  22. Rlouden

She's a smart cookie and clearly articulates her thoughts.

Now can we move on and stop speculating on VP choices.

June 12, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  23. goodcitizen

Obama/Clinton 08
    or
    John Kerry REPEAT

June 12, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. Ok...

I hate the Midwest. They're the reason we have Bush. There's about 5 people out there and they determine elections. Lame....

June 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. Pam

Democrat AGAINST Obama June 12th, 2008 5:09 pm ET

He isnt that stupid, is he?
    ________

If he picks Clinton, he will enrage the 18 million people who voted for him in the primaries. He isn't that stupid, is he?

June 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |