June 13th, 2008

Paul suspends presidential campaign; forms new organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/12/art.paul.gi.jpg caption="Ron Paul is suspending his presidential campaign."]WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul announced Thursday he is suspending his bid for the Republican presidential nomination to focus his time on building an organization to help recruit and elect “limited government Republicans.”

“We want to elect constitutionalists, limited government Republicans across the country at the state and federal level,” said Paul spokesman Jesse Benton.

The congressman will speak about his political plans at the Texas Republican State Convention being held in Houston. Late Thursday afternoon, Paul launched a Web site for his new organization where he explained the decision to suspend his presidential campaign and form “Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty.”

“With the primary season now over, the presidential campaign is at an end,” Paul said in the letter. “But the larger campaign for freedom is just getting started.”

Arizona Sen. John McCain locked up the GOP nomination back in March, but unlike his fellow Republicans running for president, Paul never abandoned his White House bid.

Paul’s decision to leave the race is an acknowledgment he had no chance of winning the GOP nomination. But even in loss, Paul is one of a handful of candidates who walked away from this presidential contest a winner. His presidential campaign had a broad base of support that included traditionally fiscal and socially conservative Republicans to young people who were angry about the U.S. decision to wage war against Iraq.

The Internet helped to tie together his group of supporters who joined the “Ron Paul Revolution.”

“The work of the Campaign for Liberty will take many forms,” Paul wrote in the letter posted on his Web site. “We will educate our fellow Americans in freedom, sound money, non-interventionism, and free markets. We’ll have our own commentaries and videos on the news of the day. I’ll work with friends I respect to design materials for homeschoolers."

He added, “Politically, we’ll expand the great work of our precinct leader program. We’ll make our presence felt at every level of government, where just a few people with our level of enthusiasm can make a world of difference. We’ll keep an eye on Congress and lobby against legislation that threatens us. We’ll identify and support political candidates who champion our great ideas against the empty suits the party establishments offer the public.”

Paul will not endorse McCain, unless the Arizona senator “wants to change some of his positions,” Benton said. But Benton added that this effort in no way is intended to hurt McCain in November.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Ron Paul
  1. Darth Vadik, CA

He was still in?

By the way, libretarianism only works in societies with a population of less than 100, it just "sounds" good, to some people.

June 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Pat Riot

Let's leave the McCain v. Obama talk out of this one and pay a little respect to a great civil servant. A true inspiration. Son of a dairy farmer. Grew up outside Pittsburg in a 4 room house with his 4 brothers. An athelete. A doctor who has delivered over 4,000 babies. A veteran. A 10 term Congressman who has always fought for balanced budgets and individual liberty for all. "The Tax Payer's Best Friend". A father and married man for 51 years. The 2008 presidential campaign has lost its most knowledgeable, principled and selfless candidate.

June 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. al

AGAIN WITH THE SUSPENSION. I GUESS THATS A BETTER WORD THAN BOWING OUT OR CONCEDING. ALTHOUGH LAST I CHECK IT DOENST HAVE THE SAME MEANING. BUT IT SOUNDS BETTER........KINDA LIKE IM NO QUITTER..... I CAN STILL COME BACK....CONTINUE TO SEND MONEY TO MY CAMPAIGN. MAKES ME SICK. STOP THE MADNESS. VOTE OBAMA.

June 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. Brian, Harrisburg, PA

I haven't voted for a Presidential candidate who was on the ballot since 1976. Again this year, I will vote for the people I would like to see leading the nation, Ron Paul as President and Dennis Kucinich for Vice President, a very unlikely pairing. Despite their diametrically opposed views on government in general, both have been consistently correct in their voting related to the war in Iraq and in votes against the Patriot Act and other attacks upon individual freedoms. Paul isn't afraid of being called a Libertarian or a Republican, and Kucinich doesn't fear being labeled a Liberal. (Anyone who introduced legislation to impeach both Bush and Cheney can't be all bad). They were the only two candidates in the primaries that I would trust.

June 12, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. micky

I don't understand 'whats' comment. McCain is not 'anti-women' at all. That would be Obama who used sexism to his advantage to win the nomination. That is a fact.

June 12, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  6. Left the Repubs

This is why I left the Republicans. They are no better than Democrats with regards to runaway spending, in fact they are worse! What ever happened to being conservative? Or does that only apply to preventing gays from marrying?

June 12, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. Jaime

Ron Paul is a true leader. He isn't just in it for votes based on his looks, personality, gender or race. He is a man of principle leading a movement. I hope and pray that this movement restores the Republican Party to what it once was and what Reagan promised it was instead of what it is now.

He's got my support.

June 12, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  8. Tyler

Ron Paul's revolution would have gone further if he got more media coverage and the conservative media didn't treat him like a madman. Ron Paul's message was the best of this campaign and he would make the best president. Besides Obama, I would vote for Ron Paul to be president. Mccain, I don't think so.

June 12, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. JCB

I am definitely interested in this new organization. I am becoming really sour on politics after the way the DNC handled Florida and Michigan. I consider Obama just one more political empty suit!

June 12, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Steve

I'm glad to see that the RP moonies are rolling up their tin-foil hats realizing the mothership has left the planet. I still think they will do something to disrupt the convention. Oh for another WFB, intellect and reason not emotional outburst born of irrationality.

June 12, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. MJ

I cannot see Dr. Paul endorsing Barr or McCain. I'm sad to see his campaign coming to an end, but it was doomed from the beginning – because of the media blackout. I applaud CNN for covering him more than any other news source...

The R[evol]ution is not only about Ron Paul, and we will continue the fight!

June 12, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  12. Ric

Clinton Democrats for Mc Cain '08!!

June 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Dr. Charlie, University of Texas

He is one the decent politicians. GOP corruption machine unsuccessfully tried to make him lose his house seat. Hopefully he will bring some change to this country.

June 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Canadian for Ron Paul

Just my 2 cents, but this man is a true Patriot and deserves his chance to be heard.

June 12, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. s

I believe Ron Paul should come out and endorse the candidate closest to his ideas....

... that person would be OBAMA!!!

June 12, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. I used to be a Democrat

Ron Paul is the true hero of the 2008 Presidential race. He has done more for liberty than all of the other candidates combined.

We need more libertarians to take a stand against those who squander our freedom.... such as McCain and Obama.

June 12, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  17. Robert

Ron Paul is an admirable public servant.

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  18. Mark

I hope McCain will look to Ron Paul as VP. If not I'm voting Libertarian and hopefully his following as well as Hillary supports will go for the Libertarian Party Candidate Barr.

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  19. evy

oh. he was still running?

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Dan

This is a sad day.... one campaign ends, but another begins...

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. Mark

Maybe he's going to start campaigning for Bob Barr?

BARR/ROOT 2008

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. David

I disagree. He does not want the VP spot because he knows he has 0% chance of getting it.
    While he may have stayed in the race because of the media attention, he didn't get much to start with.

Ron Paul had a big effect on millions of people, especially young people, and that should be called a victory.

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. Manny

Ron Paul ? Doesn't he have a brother named Peter ? Invented the "mounds" and "almond joy" candy bars ?

I love those things !

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  24. jason

there are two types of republicans: millionaires and suckers.

but occasionally, you do run into a libertarian...

June 12, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  25. Joe

Now who am I going to vote for.....

June 12, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |