June 13th, 2008

Paul suspends presidential campaign; forms new organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/12/art.paul.gi.jpg caption="Ron Paul is suspending his presidential campaign."]WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul announced Thursday he is suspending his bid for the Republican presidential nomination to focus his time on building an organization to help recruit and elect “limited government Republicans.”

“We want to elect constitutionalists, limited government Republicans across the country at the state and federal level,” said Paul spokesman Jesse Benton.

The congressman will speak about his political plans at the Texas Republican State Convention being held in Houston. Late Thursday afternoon, Paul launched a Web site for his new organization where he explained the decision to suspend his presidential campaign and form “Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty.”

“With the primary season now over, the presidential campaign is at an end,” Paul said in the letter. “But the larger campaign for freedom is just getting started.”

Arizona Sen. John McCain locked up the GOP nomination back in March, but unlike his fellow Republicans running for president, Paul never abandoned his White House bid.

Paul’s decision to leave the race is an acknowledgment he had no chance of winning the GOP nomination. But even in loss, Paul is one of a handful of candidates who walked away from this presidential contest a winner. His presidential campaign had a broad base of support that included traditionally fiscal and socially conservative Republicans to young people who were angry about the U.S. decision to wage war against Iraq.

The Internet helped to tie together his group of supporters who joined the “Ron Paul Revolution.”

“The work of the Campaign for Liberty will take many forms,” Paul wrote in the letter posted on his Web site. “We will educate our fellow Americans in freedom, sound money, non-interventionism, and free markets. We’ll have our own commentaries and videos on the news of the day. I’ll work with friends I respect to design materials for homeschoolers."

He added, “Politically, we’ll expand the great work of our precinct leader program. We’ll make our presence felt at every level of government, where just a few people with our level of enthusiasm can make a world of difference. We’ll keep an eye on Congress and lobby against legislation that threatens us. We’ll identify and support political candidates who champion our great ideas against the empty suits the party establishments offer the public.”

Paul will not endorse McCain, unless the Arizona senator “wants to change some of his positions,” Benton said. But Benton added that this effort in no way is intended to hurt McCain in November.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Ron Paul
  1. say what?

I'm not a McCain supporter, but not prone to over-reaction either. I don't seriously think McCain is trying to say that all women are uneducated and untrained, and that all men are. I think he means that women need to be given the same opportunities for education and training that are afforded to men.

June 12, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. Jarrod Leda

Im a liberal democrat, but I have much respect for Ron Paul. He stands for what Republicans ONCE stood for, smaller government, smart policy abroad, and bucks his party on the drug war, which has been politics and fear-mongering (MARIJANA WILL KILL YOU!! hehe) over accepted science for a long time. His willingness to not only challenge his party on Iraq, but also on the 'blowback' of our military and intelligence operations around the world showed great leadership. I hope he continues to be heard, even if most of his party will never consider those issues with any real depth.

June 12, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  3. Joe McBroom

Please direct me to the letter in which he states that he will suspend his campaign!

June 12, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. MD, Vallejo,CA

Oh, Mr. Paul was still running? Who would have known, since neither side had been taking potshots at him. 0 potshots = No Legitimate Threat.

June 12, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Dr. Ted Baehr

It is unfortunate that the mainstream media largely ignored Dr. Ron Paul's campaign in the early stages of the Republican nomination race, when it seemed to be a Huckabee-Romney-Guiliani festival.

Dr. Paul is, and always was, the best GOP candidate in the field. He has the best ideas and would have been the most-opposite-of-Bush candidate that the Republicans could have nominated.

I think a joint Obama-Paul ticket is precisely what bruised and battered America needs in 2009. Cross party lines, and show the world that America actually IS worthy of respect again.

June 12, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. Moe, NY

Mr. Paul: You want to elect more republicans (limited or otherwise) when the American people, for the most part , are trying to get rid of the republicans. Perhaps you should reconsider your latest quest. Constitutionalists you say? The present administration has shown it could care less about the constitution...no thank you...have had enough!

June 12, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. Peter

He's doing the honorable thing. I agree with many of his points, but not his method up till now. Not endorsing McCain is consistent with his points, and is his choice. I may be naive after living here 60 years, but that's the way we do things in the United States.

June 12, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Harry

Ron Paul should run independent as Hillary's VP. Gore and Giuliani can be on the cabinet with Lieberman and Jeb Bush as the Secretary of State duo. Political supergroups are awesome!

June 12, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. Army Wife

-i like ron paul.

June 12, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. HK

I like Ron Paul!!!!!

June 12, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. arlene

Ron Paul is so funny....All the best Ron...

Ron 2012

June 12, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Brandon Hillary Democrat for Mc Cain

WOW This guy was still running?

Come paul endorse Mc Cain !

June 12, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. OH NO!

What? So soon? You're finished already? I think Hillary would be a good candidate for this club. The llosers who can't tell when the party is over and it's time to go home.

McCain 08

June 12, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  14. Reg

I was hoping he would run as an independent – I am not going to vote for McCain.

Bob Barr it is!

June 12, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  15. Brandon

Ron Paul is like no other candidate. I believe he represents what the other 2 parties don't- his ideas inspire me to become a senator or politician one day.

June 12, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. Josh B

Paul would NEVER want to be McCain's VP... he WOULD want to continue his revolution to change the republican party to its roots of obeying the constitution, respecting civil liberties, endorsing the free market, and a NON-INTERVENTIONIST foreign policy.

June 12, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Democrat

DO NOT QUIT HILLARY. DO NOT QUIT. I will not vote for Obama. I will hold my nose and vote for McSame.

June 12, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  18. BIG B

RON PAUL IS A MAN WHO, IF AMERICANS WERE SMART WOULD BE OUR PRESIDENT. GOD BLESS HIM!

June 12, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. pault

Oh NOW you put Ron Paul on the front page....nice job CNN.

June 12, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  20. HereWeGo

wow, wonder who got to him?

June 12, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  21. Dan, TX

Ron Paul supporters are hard core. They rock. I was an Obama precinct captain and it was Obama supportes and Ron Paul supporters from poll opening to poll closing. Great people. They all said if it came down to Obama vs. McCain they'd vote Obama. But now that Barr is in it I expect they'll go there...

June 12, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Don Hauser

Being a Native Arizonian and an Architect. I still remember how McCain was tied to Charles Keating's S&L Scandal that put a great deal of Architects and people in the building industry out of business. All this heartache to save his job as career politician and government to generate little more tax revenue. I have never voted for McCain and will not this November. I do not vote for President in the general election. Reminder: in November, the people's popular vote for President does not count anyway. My comment to "what.'s" comment statement above about McCain's wife: as a designer, because you have money does not mean you have good taste. Lastly, I still bear a Ron Paul for President bumper sticker on my car.

June 12, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  23. Sean

If Mr. Paul is serious about freedom, he won't endorse any of the current candidates for President.

June 12, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  24. Marc PDX

I am shocked!

I didn't even know he was still running...

June 12, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  25. John Rogers

Ron Paul is one of those rare (especially these days) politicians who is true to his beliefs and has the courage fight for them when no one else will. He has a vision for this country that is honorable. If character were the sole criterion for this nation's highest office, Ron Paul would be our next president, no contest.

June 12, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |