June 13th, 2008

Paul suspends presidential campaign; forms new organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/12/art.paul.gi.jpg caption="Ron Paul is suspending his presidential campaign."]WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul announced Thursday he is suspending his bid for the Republican presidential nomination to focus his time on building an organization to help recruit and elect “limited government Republicans.”

“We want to elect constitutionalists, limited government Republicans across the country at the state and federal level,” said Paul spokesman Jesse Benton.

The congressman will speak about his political plans at the Texas Republican State Convention being held in Houston. Late Thursday afternoon, Paul launched a Web site for his new organization where he explained the decision to suspend his presidential campaign and form “Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty.”

“With the primary season now over, the presidential campaign is at an end,” Paul said in the letter. “But the larger campaign for freedom is just getting started.”

Arizona Sen. John McCain locked up the GOP nomination back in March, but unlike his fellow Republicans running for president, Paul never abandoned his White House bid.

Paul’s decision to leave the race is an acknowledgment he had no chance of winning the GOP nomination. But even in loss, Paul is one of a handful of candidates who walked away from this presidential contest a winner. His presidential campaign had a broad base of support that included traditionally fiscal and socially conservative Republicans to young people who were angry about the U.S. decision to wage war against Iraq.

The Internet helped to tie together his group of supporters who joined the “Ron Paul Revolution.”

“The work of the Campaign for Liberty will take many forms,” Paul wrote in the letter posted on his Web site. “We will educate our fellow Americans in freedom, sound money, non-interventionism, and free markets. We’ll have our own commentaries and videos on the news of the day. I’ll work with friends I respect to design materials for homeschoolers."

He added, “Politically, we’ll expand the great work of our precinct leader program. We’ll make our presence felt at every level of government, where just a few people with our level of enthusiasm can make a world of difference. We’ll keep an eye on Congress and lobby against legislation that threatens us. We’ll identify and support political candidates who champion our great ideas against the empty suits the party establishments offer the public.”

Paul will not endorse McCain, unless the Arizona senator “wants to change some of his positions,” Benton said. But Benton added that this effort in no way is intended to hurt McCain in November.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Ron Paul
  1. Jackson

I really, really like Ron Paul. If there was any chance of me voting Republican this time around, it would have been for him.

June 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. Politically Correct

Ron Who?????????????????

Ohhhhh!!!! The old right-wing racist from southern backwoods Texas that everyone forgot about.........uuuhhh, I mean never considered other than like constituents.

June 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  3. jonathan

FINALLY!
    Now he can go play canasta with Ross Perot!
    LOL

June 12, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  4. Alec

You won't find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany than the CNN.com comments page.

June 12, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  5. Eric

I actually wanted Ron Paul as theGOP nominee because he, like Hillary Clinton are both pretty moderate.

Anyone forgetting Ron Paul running as a LIBERTARIAN in 1988... I can't really forget it seeing as how I was only 3 months old during the election of 1988

June 12, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. Yonah

The one candidate who had the full backing of 9/11 Truthers, and other Conspiracy Theory wackos. The attraction of that crowd was a death sentence for Ron's campaign.

June 12, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. Alan

So, Ron Paul finally figured out he didn't have a chance of winning in November, did he? I could have told him that long ago. It's a pity that so many disillusioned fans sent him so much money. I guess he gets to keep all those millions, people sent him? I wonder if all the suckers who sent Ron Paul money, heard a flushing sound as their money went down the toilet.

June 12, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  8. Cole From L.A.

Dr. Paul changed some of my views in politics forever. Thank you.

June 12, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  9. baljeet

Too bad, he is smarter then obama. His policy's are good unlike obama he has no plan for the country except voodoo economic plan of change. Whats that change is nobody knows.

June 12, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  10. Melanie, MD

Hey Joey –

No ... Paul shouldn't endorse Borak... but he should endorse Sen. Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to mental incompetence... some people should be prohibited to vote (that would be YOU Joey).

June 12, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  11. Frank

I'm voting for Paul as a write-in. I urge everyone to do the same if you love this country.

June 12, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. spike

I'm a democrat who is Obama all the way but....

IF i had to choose a Republican candidate, it would easily be Ron Paul.
    -Firstly, he's against the war.
    -And then there's his sense of fiscal responsibility.

His economic policies, whilst different to Obama's, would still balance the budget, much unlike John McCain. McCain=increased debt.

June 12, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  13. deroy

who is ron paul?

June 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. arjun jayaraj

John McCain will win this election in a landslide............the media is all for Obama but the media is not listening to what the candidates have to say.

Go John McCain you got my vote

June 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Tim

Ron who?? I honestly don't believe there has been anyone more insignificant running for president.

June 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  16. Tom, Boston MA

Ron Paul should join Bob Barr and go after the perpetual war candidate, Insane Mccain.

i'll be writing checks for your organization, Mr. Paul!

June 12, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  17. Matt

It is about time he did that. But why did he wait so long. I do not think he should endorse McCain as well, they probably have different views in too many ways. I only liked Paul cause he was against the war.

June 12, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. Frank, MO

That guy is something ! I am supporting Obama but I have respect for Ron Paul and his views. Although he would not be the 'right' president, an influence of his views would be healthy. He is honest and genuine like Obama, that counts for a lot ! Obama, in my opinion, stands on the right side of the issues though most of the time.

June 12, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  19. irish

All you posters that throw your one liners in there regarding Ron Paul are completely ignorant. Apparently you are young and new to the politic's game. I'm betting most of you are Obama supporters. You can tell the differences in the posts. The one's that have respect and would support Ron Paul speak with intelligence and the one's that throw there one liners in about him are rude, unintelligent and know nothing about the policies that Ron Paul supports. He is highly respected memeber of Congress. He works every single day for the good fo this country and the peoople of this country. I guess our constitution means absolutely nothing to this young generation. it's all about having a large goverment so they can get free hand outs and accept no personal responsibliity. If half the people in this country actually read our constitution they would realize that Ron Paul is right. He is not a loon or nor is crazy. He is more in-line with our founding fathers then anyone I have seen in Washington for years. It's to bad he dropped his bid, because I would of voted for him, because I care about our constitution and what it stands for. I care that there is someone in Washington that stands for what is right and will not back down and flip flop on the issue's just to get elected. Which , by the way is what the glorious Obama is doing and McCain. These are the two worst presidential canidates ever. One has absolutely no experience to speak of. Talks pretty but has no real plan for anything. But, hey he's the captain of the football team, so since I wasn't popular in school I'll get with the popular crowd now. McCain is old school politic's and everyone knows it. Look into his background and you will find this is not who you want to be president of the USA. We had some really good canidates and now there gone, because of people with narrow minds that made this election a farse. That also includes you CNN. God help us when one of these two incompetant candidates becomes the President.

June 12, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  20. tammy terry

we are all doomed!

June 12, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  21. John McVicker

Thanks Ron Paul. We need many more like you. Your message is what we all need to tell our kids of how to look at governing a country.

No more NeoCons – more constitutionalists.

June 12, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. JPru

I am very disappointed to see him dropping out. I will still write him in on election day, however. I joined his Campaign for Liberty. It HAS to work. HAS to. Or we will be in a socialist dictatorship like in Orwell's 1984 by 2030.

June 12, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  23. John, fmr Congressional Intern

I've lost all hope for the American people. A great man comes along to save you, and you say things like "go back to your spaceship! I don't like your facial expressions!". Shame.

June 12, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. martin

republicans may have had a chance with ron paul.he's definetly no g bush III.

June 12, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  25. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

at least he had the decency to do suspend it..............
    hillary has still not done that..

see even that is a BIG dfference.

clintons: corruptions