June 16th, 2008

Al Gore to endorse Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/11/art.gore0608.gi.jpg caption="Gore has not ruled out a future presidential run."] (CNN) - After remaining neutral throughout the Democratic primary season, former Vice President Al Gore is officially backing Barack Obama's presidential run, and will appear with him at a Michigan campaign event Monday night.

"A few hours from now I will step on stage in Detroit, Michigan to announce my support for Senator Barack Obama," said the 2000 Democratic presidential nominee in a fundraising e-mail sent to supporters Monday. "From now through Election Day, I intend to do whatever I can to make sure he is elected President of the United States."

Former presidential candidate John Edwards also announced his decision to endorse Obama at a rally in the crucial fall swing state.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • Popular Posts
  1. truth now

Thank you Al Gore. People please do not believe that all these Hillary people claiming to be voting for McNut they voted Republican anyway. They are women that have always voted GOP but were willing to vote for a woman. Now that she is out they are trying to convince Democratic women to vote for McNut.

We will not be fooled. Real women care about issues that affect us. The same issues that McNut has voted against his entire career. He just voted against equal pay for women let alone his wanting Roe Vs Wade to be overturned. Watch the debates to come hopefully he will have to answer to all his anti-woman voting over the years.

June 16, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. DJ

Gore why now?? Really why now?? But hey it is what it is

June 16, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. silas

Gore wat took u this long . Good news though

June 16, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. Elaine

The Republican's are running scared.

To Brian from Knoxville and the other's quoting the same old same old tired speech of theirs.

Its over guys. Give it up.

June 16, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. JM

Well, he would be doing this regardless of the candidate considering how far along it is, so I do not see this as a personal endorsement but a purely political one. He waited until Obama was the only one left, so that says something. He's just a loyal Democrat going through the motions. Although, I find it a bit disappointing considering what he wrote in his book and has said about politics being toxic. Obama also just spoke for AIPAC... I suppose Al Gore supports that too? As a supporter of his I still retain my right to think for myself and decide what I will do in November based on what happens between now and then. And hopefully he has told Obama that his climate change plan is abyssmal and he has to stop kissing up to the coal industry in order for his rhetoric on the environment to look credible.

June 16, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. justobserve

Wow! Thank you, Mr Al Gore! All people who put the party first should do the same.

June 16, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. Democrats for Clinton

SORRY GORE, no he can't, no we won't, most of us white females or should I say "sweaties" have a mind of our own. Clinton in 2008!! and down with Dean and the Democratic party. It no longer speaks for the common voter. So sad they are having trouble raising money – they can stop asking me or others for any – we are refusing to give to this group of losers.

June 16, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. HM

I THINK I AM GOING TO THROW UP. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN AL GORE. IF HE REALLY THOUGHT OBAMA WAS THE BEST HE SHOULD OF COME OUT A LONG TIME AGO TO ENDORESE OBAMA. GUESS HE DID NOT HAVE THE GUTS. SO MUCH SHOWING HE IS A MAN.

June 16, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. EDW

McCain didn't cancel that fundraiser with that Texan:

"the visit was postponed because McCain “had a personal conflict” and 400-500 people had already bought tickets - far too many for Williams, an oilman, and his wife Modesta to accommodate in their home."
    so do to the fact that so many people were attending they have to find a bigger venue for the event not because of a comment (i hope mccains spokeperson learns a lesson from this i.e. get fired)

June 16, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I guess Obama's got the loser vote locked up.

June 16, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  11. matt in ohio

who cares about Gore!? has been! cant wait for us Hillary supporters to vote for McCAin!

June 16, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Sherri from Austin, TX

I agree with the consensus here. It's all too convenient and easy to speak up now that HRC can't harm him in any way. Where were you in Florida when we all thought/hoped you would come out for Obama. You didn't stick your neck out then so why would we think that you would stick your neck out any further to help fight McShame!

June 16, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Frequent flyer NYC – how in the name of Hades do you think NObama is a vote to end racism? Affirmative action will have a whole new meaning if he steals (yes media theft) the presidential nomination. I'm just glad I'm as old as I am. Electing such a cocky, elitist is sure doom! I must say that I was glad to see him "preach" yesterday to all the black fathers to take a proactive part in raising their children. Of course, most of the mothers don't have a clue who the baby daddy is.

June 16, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. Latha, Ohio

It's too bad that Gore has already been on a Presidential ticket, because I think Obama-Gore '08 would have been great. Oh well. But thanks Al Gore for your endorsement!

June 16, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. John from LA

Douglas-

It's called freedom of speech to write what I please-I guess the bots don't like it when someone is against him-Remember W ran on the words "I'm a uniter not a divider"

June 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. mark

"park more" You seem to forget that you will need us for Hillary in 2012, but then I know you are a republican who is using this to divide us, Real Hillary supporters and dems know what is at stake.

June 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Democrat in 08!

You clinton supporters really think getting mccain elected in 2008 will make way for Hillary in 2012? First we don't know what a mccain adminstration would look like if he wins. So you hillary supporters are betting on a fail adminstration just to get her elected in 2012. So you would vote for a person who doesn't represent your values, put the country through 4 more fail yrs. Just to get hillary elected because you are sore losers. WOW great going!

June 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. BROOKLYN

There is nobody else to endorse... This is stupid.

And ANOTHER waste of money (I am sure the security and the party are expensive)... So much for NO POLITICS as USUAL...

June 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. Greg, Brattleboro, VT

To those who say "Who care?" The answer is We do care!!! Ha ha ha!!

June 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. OBAMA BACKER

This is huge but late however it still make the case that the party is united and it's biggest members all support OBAMA.

June 16, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. Canuck

with gore and all the media bias for obama, how can he loose! what is the point of even having an election, its over. the arrogance is killing me.

when mccain wins in november, the claims will be a stolen election or stupid voters.

that is why i will never vote for a dem.

June 16, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. rw in ct

How hurting is the Obama camp, in a year that for all political purposes is suppose to go to the Dems., that every few days they have to make news with an endorsement. And each time they try to up the ante, the polls remain basically the same.......it's over Dean & Co. And if the Dems. had any sense of dignity they would begin to clean house at the TOP.

Get the message Mr. Dean, country before party. You've made a tyrannical mockery of the primary process...we all know you shoved Obama across the finish line....listen to the popular vote: Hillary won.

After all this, my respect to Gore and gratitude for his work on behalf of our environment. We know he was strong armed to make this move.

June 16, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. Bill

I am glad to see noble prize/oscar winning al out among the electorate again. Perhaps he can help Obama find a vice president.

June 16, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  24. McCain 08

we don't screaming women to beat Obama. Go home Clinton and take your sheep with you.

McCain 08

June 16, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  25. Justice League

Three cheers for Al Gore!!! Hurrayyyy! Thank you Al, we knew you'd come through for us in the bottom of the 22nd inning.

June 16, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |