June 16th, 2008

Al Gore to endorse Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/11/art.gore0608.gi.jpg caption="Gore has not ruled out a future presidential run."] (CNN) - After remaining neutral throughout the Democratic primary season, former Vice President Al Gore is officially backing Barack Obama's presidential run, and will appear with him at a Michigan campaign event Monday night.

"A few hours from now I will step on stage in Detroit, Michigan to announce my support for Senator Barack Obama," said the 2000 Democratic presidential nominee in a fundraising e-mail sent to supporters Monday. "From now through Election Day, I intend to do whatever I can to make sure he is elected President of the United States."

Former presidential candidate John Edwards also announced his decision to endorse Obama at a rally in the crucial fall swing state.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Billy from NJ

A little late but we will take it.

June 16, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. Hey Clinton Supporters

Hey to all Hillary supporters who are planning on voting for McCain did you ever think about what would happen if you cost Obama the election?

Hillary would NEVER win even if she ran in 2012 because there will be 18 million Obama supporters who WILL NEVER vote for Clinton if that happened.

So you can play it your way and we Obama supporters can play it our way, you want Hillary in 2012 or 2016? Vote Obama so the 18 million Obama supporters repay the favor

June 16, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. BO/AL

President : BO & VP: AG = all good & decency for Americans.
    Both winners for winning America. Now, America can put a good image to the rest of the world.

June 16, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. TonyNJHC

Yeah, he would, but thankfully many shall not! Take the last stand with Landslide McCain!

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  5. Rick

This is Moe Howard endorsing Larry Fine and waiting for Curly Howard to be named as the VP nominee. What a bunch of clowns!

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. vw

Cannot wait this person (who has been endorsed by so many -so-called officials) to be chooped by John McCain in Nov.
    Democratic Party is gone forever...

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. dee

Obama 08 , I waiting for Hillary to get out there with Obama

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. Flag

Another reason not to vote for Obama! Anyone but Obama in 08!

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  9. Tonya, Richmond, VA

GO OBAMA!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!

ASK EM' WHY THEY'RE MAD!!!!

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. carlo

To Scott, Wichita:

Yeah, Gore cracked up, alright. He cracked up all the way to an Oscar and a Nobel Prize. Be gone, loser.

I think the timing on this endorsement couldn't be better, especially after his former running mate, Joe Lieberman, has openly bashed Obama. It makes me wonder if Lieberman was EVER really in Gore's corner.

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. EMJ

Test, Test, 123 CNN? Why are you not posting my comments? Is it because of what I said about Wolf Blizter????

Gore, a little late don't ya think?

June 16, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. LC

WHO CARES?

June 16, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  13. nate

Geez Al about time!

June 16, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  14. Brian Knoxville, TN

I love you Obama!!

June 16, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. ???

To all those "one 'looser' backs another" people, realize that only 43 people out of over 1,000,000 (cumulative throughout our history) ever won the nomination, so I guess any endorsement but Bush or Clinton is null and void huh?

June 16, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. chad

we obama fans are loving this
    obama 08

June 16, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. Tonya, Richmond, VA

No one seems to have a legitimate reason as to why Obama will not make a great president. Wait, there is the same "he's inexperienced" excuse. We've heard it all before, let's come up with more reasons please.

McCain is a dirty man and he will not have my vote in November.

OBAMA 08

June 16, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. MD

This is an important step. I think Obama could use all the support he can get to negate the damage that Hillary Clinton caused during the primary.

I am so glad that she has not been heard of for over a week now.

The best way for the Democratic Party to heal is for Hillary to stay as far away from Obama as possible.

June 16, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Tired of W, OH

While I'm glad to have Gore's support, I think I speak for many Obama supporters when I say: "WHAT THE H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS TOOK YOU SO LONG?"

BTW, has anyone heard from HRC lately? Didn't she promise to stump for Obama? Hopefully she intends to keep her promise. Maybe she's working a second job trying to pay off her campaign debt.

June 16, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  20. Abina

G o r e VP
    G o r e VP

June 16, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

Too bad he cannot bring along his old boss.. If the Democrats want unity, Bill Clinton needs to come out and endorse Obama, and soon.

June 16, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. robert ga

This is a major endorsement, Obama has his green side (no pun intended) covered. it is a big deal for him to come out before the convention to show his support. Meaning that he likes obama's approach to Finding alternative energy sources and reducing emission of global warming gases. Don't forget about green jobs.

Thanks Al , we need all hands on deck to get this going. We need an early knock out to beat mccain in the fall.
    YOu don't want it close in Nov, Trust me that hanging chad will find its way back.
    Go Dems.

June 16, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. dennis from texas

gore would never run for vp with forGET ABOUT IT//// no one likes to lose TWICE......

June 16, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. rachel

Not shocking.

June 16, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. Such hatred from "democrats"

so 8 years of things not going well, and you think you and you alone have the solution. Well guess what, I can't wait for the economy to collapse further, yet watching you blame anyone but yourselves for the reason...

face it america, this country is one big company now... we need proper CEOs to run it... other countries get it... Russia just elected the former CEO of a big oil company... I bet they do great the next decade while we struggle to get along...

June 16, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |