June 16th, 2008

Al Gore to endorse Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/11/art.gore0608.gi.jpg caption="Gore has not ruled out a future presidential run."] (CNN) - After remaining neutral throughout the Democratic primary season, former Vice President Al Gore is officially backing Barack Obama's presidential run, and will appear with him at a Michigan campaign event Monday night.

"A few hours from now I will step on stage in Detroit, Michigan to announce my support for Senator Barack Obama," said the 2000 Democratic presidential nominee in a fundraising e-mail sent to supporters Monday. "From now through Election Day, I intend to do whatever I can to make sure he is elected President of the United States."

Former presidential candidate John Edwards also announced his decision to endorse Obama at a rally in the crucial fall swing state.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Joe Regis

This time the Dems are fully ready.

Watch out Repubs.

Obama 08 &12

June 16, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. voter

Loretta from California June 16th, 2008 3:06 pm ET

Wonderful, can wait to see his endorsement on CNN.

Can someone please tell David Plouffe to keep his mouth shut. Senator Obama should campaign in both Michigan and Florida.

Democrats Unite.

Loretta, Obama is campaigning in both states. Plouffe was stating that these two states should not be the only ones that count. It is important to stray away from the big state stratigies and compete in all 50 states which democrats in the past have not done. Plouffe made that clear in the article. I am happy gore is endorsing. yes we can.

June 16, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. Tired of W, OH

Too all those saying that Obama is a 2nd Carter term, I'd take a 2nd Carter term over a 3rd Bush term any day!

June 16, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. GERALD STROTHER

You Republicans that leave your comments GO AWAY !!!!!!! IT IS ALL OVER FOR YOU !! done!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 16, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. Chris

Woot woot!!! YES WE WILL!!!

OBAMA '08!!!

June 16, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. Mary Beth H.

With Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee, Al Gore standing behind him and Howard Dean as DNC Chairman this country is heading for great things!!

Obama '08!!!

June 16, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. JONNA

For all you Obama Haters, it's a good thing your vote doesn't count!!

Only the electoral votes decide who our next Pres. will be.

So vote McSame, cause your'e ashamed.

June 16, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  8. Obama Next POTUS

Your all racist idiots!!!...China is the greatest country in the world!!!! the American Empire is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 16, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. Helene

Really ? I thought he was no longer alive ...

June 16, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. Ben

I had no idea that people were so dumb.

I'm not referring to Gore, but to the people posting on this page.

Those of you who once supported Hillary but are now virulently supporting McCain, I have a hard time believing that you honestly see McCain's policies as a rational place-holder for Clinton's. Obama won, fair and square. Please, just get over it.

Youre not fooling anyone:

"Well, Hillary didn't win, so instead of voting for Obama, the candidate whose views are closest to Hillary's, I'll vote for McCain 'cause I'm pissed off."

I had no idea that values mean so little to some people...

June 16, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. aware

I agree John: "One loser supporting another" – Democrats decline and so does the two party system! 🙁

June 16, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. Dez, Tampa, Florida

It's about time... It is time we change America's course... BUSH AND HIS LEGACY IS OUT THE DOOR..

OBAMA 08.....

June 16, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. Robert

I'm an Obama supporter but to this one I say, "who cares?". Is there anyone who was biting his or her nails hoping Al Gore would not endorse McCain instead? Al Gore had a chance to speak in a way that meant something but waited 'till now. He may be a hero to the left but he's a joke to the right and to the center and the center is where this election will be won.

June 16, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. AJ

So Gore has decided to swallow the kool aide too? What a pity. He was the one democratic leader that I still had some respect for. I have been a democrat all of my life and I have never been so ashamed of the democratic leadership. I hope Gore is doing this just to try and bring unity to our party and not because he really believes that Obama is the saviour that the rest of the rabid Obama supporters believe him to be. After 30 years in the Democratic party I wont be supporting Obama in the fall. He is Ego in a suit. Obama will do what is best for himself, not what is best for the nation.

June 16, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. Jan, Ohio

Well, welcome aboard, Al! What took you so long?

June 16, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. dipitashick

Gore is great!
    Gore for president!
    If not, Obama for president!
    Way to go, Gore, good choice!
    McCain will kill the environment!
    Stop McCain!
    Vote for Obama!
    And you will get a free toaster!
    Yay!
    Baby maze!
    Woo-hoo!
    Obama maze!

June 16, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. JOANN

TO SECOND THE MOTION:

IF YOU WANT TO SEE A REAL LOSER...LOOK IN THE MIRROR....AND ALSO TO BRIAN ANOTHER LOSER IN TN...WHOSE PROBABLY CLINGING TO HIS GUN AND SPITTING TOBACCO FROM HIS PORCH!!!!

OBAMA '08

June 16, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  18. Ready For Change

That is really pitiful after Obama did everything he could to make sure Michigan and Florida votes did not count. Shame on you Mr. Gore.

June 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Hey Brian in Knoxville, and other Puma advocates,
    the people voted. Not the DNC.
    I know you wanted Clinton, I wanted Richardson.
    My candidate didn't get it. Your candidate didn't get it.
    So, since your kid isn't the heard cheerleader, or star quarterback, you want to go to the other side and root for the opponent?
    All while your kid is still on the team?
    Again, Clinton didn't win, but has asked her supporters to stay with HER team.
    I don't get it but maybe someone else will explain it.

June 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. Donna

Better late than never..probably more for a boost to the campaign than anything...

June 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. McCane man from NJ

Like that dummycrat Nobama this guy's endorsement ain't qualified. He only won that crappy Nobel thing right? Anybody can win those...

June 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. Nellie T in NC

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Obama 08' / 12'

June 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. JO

So what !!!

June 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  24. Down with Obama

Another Loser endorses Obama!!!

Don't forget that Al also endorsed Howard Dean!!!

June 16, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Barrak The Vote

Now your talking Mr. Gore! I wonder, why did it take so long...

June 16, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |