June 16th, 2008

Al Gore to endorse Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/11/art.gore0608.gi.jpg caption="Gore has not ruled out a future presidential run."] (CNN) - After remaining neutral throughout the Democratic primary season, former Vice President Al Gore is officially backing Barack Obama's presidential run, and will appear with him at a Michigan campaign event Monday night.

"A few hours from now I will step on stage in Detroit, Michigan to announce my support for Senator Barack Obama," said the 2000 Democratic presidential nominee in a fundraising e-mail sent to supporters Monday. "From now through Election Day, I intend to do whatever I can to make sure he is elected President of the United States."

Former presidential candidate John Edwards also announced his decision to endorse Obama at a rally in the crucial fall swing state.

Filed under: Al Gore • Candidate Barack Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Alan Rose

Where ya been, Al?

Weightwatchers I hope.

June 16, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Mariela

who cares if he endorsed him. Obama is going to loose the general elections we still have a long way to go and there is going to be more things coming out from Hussein. One loose to another looser. I am shame of Gore to endorse Hussein that does not have any experience and his radicals friends, and his rethoric. Obama won't be a president I think the US is more intelligent and know who can lead this country.

Hillary 2012/ Mccain will win the presideny 2008

My vote would have been democract but not this time I am voting for Mccain since Hillary did not win the nominacion because all of the leftis the control the democraty party that gave to Hussein. You will regret DNC

Mccain 2008/ Hillary 2012

June 16, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Brandon

lol...McCain.

Do people actually think he is going to win? Holy hell...even leaders of the GOP pack are predicting his chances are slim.

The ONLY way McCain is going to win is if our Government stages another "terrorist" attack on our soil or drums up some impeding doom BS so that ole' grizzly McCain can step in and win on his POW status.

Other than that....Obama is a sure win in November. Anyone willing to hedge bets on that can respond here and I'll be happy to take you up on it

June 16, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Dems Win

Shame on all of you bitter Clintonistas calling Al Gore a "loser."

Al Gore won more votes for President did in 2000 than Bill Clinton did in 1992 or 1996. Clinton only won a plurality of the vote with Ross Perot taking big chunks of the vote.

I'm not sure if you Clintonistas know how to count. I know many of you believe that having a college degree is elitist.

June 16, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Walter

All of those Obama haters should be ashamed of themselves. Do you idiots understand that our government has been screwing us over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Do you get the point or are you all just palin old dumb? Also, some of you are just plain and simple biggots and racist!

Barack Obama is trying to bring change to a government that has done nothing but get rich off the backs of hardworking americans. Ask yourselve just one question, what has the fat cats done for you?

Get real and get behind this man. He can't be any worst then what we have put up with for so manty years. I'm tired of housing, feeding, and insuring the Washington fat cats while I struggle to house, fee and insure my own family!

NH for OBAMA!!!!!

June 16, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Timber

Gore should not smear his good name by endorsing Obama.

June 16, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Steven Dison

Let me just say this to all the women( Hillary supporters, too) who are contemplating supporting McCain. For one, he supports overturning Roe v. Wade that made abortion legal. How would he do this?

By appointing the next judges. They'll be conservative, of course. Some of the supreme court judges are very old, and will retire (or god forbid, die.) So, please, if you're pro-choice, DO NOT VOTE FOR McCAIN!

June 16, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. kijana carter

Bold move, Mr. Vice President.

June 16, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. Jim

1 term and democratic nominee candidates that LOST the election that have endorsed Obama: Gore Kerry McGovern Carter

Who cares who they endorse, they couldn't get the job done!!!!

June 16, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. sheryl

Thank you!!!!!

Obama 08/12!!!

June 16, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. Jan

That's nice news that Gore is finally endorsing the candidate; what took him so long? Seems a bit uneventful.....

June 16, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. Gianni

Why canĀ“t americans speak and write simple english?

June 16, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Ryan

Good!!!

June 16, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. ted

GO AL – Now you can take credit for Obama too! Invented the internet made global warming a fact... you've got a great CV my man...

June 16, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Jaime

I think Obama's hotness can speed up global warming....

June 16, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Darryl Miller

God is Good all the time. He's putting everyone togather on the same team. Senator and President Clinton the train is moving down the tracks......

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  17. To Frequent Flyer NYC

You can just forget all that, I'm voting for who would be best for this country, not the democratic party. It will be McCain for me and most all of the other Hillary supporters I know.

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  18. tim

did you obama nuts think he wouldn't endorse him? i do not understand the big deal...this is supposed happen(where was he the whole primary?)

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. GREAT!!!

This is awesome – two democrats that are highly intelligent and well-respected (OBAMA/GORE).

NO HILLARY (she does too much to divide the country).

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Nick S.

I'm so happy! These are two of my political heroes, and my real dream ticket. I'm glad Gore will help get Obama in there.

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Democrates the only way

Nice work

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Mike Florida

Thanks Al! Our planet may survive after all

Obama 08

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. WHY??

Why is it that every time someone endorses Obama you Obamabats want them as VP. Think about it, some of you do it everytime Obama gets an endorsement!! Do you know what a Vice President must do when he/she is on the ticket?? How old are most of you??

June 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Lyle

One more failed politician who has simply given up on America. Faced with the most unqualified and divisive nominee the DNC has ever produced, too many weak and feeble minded politicians, such as Mr. Gore, have taken the low road. Instead of using their clout, position and access to information to help voters make an informed choice, many have chosen to push Mr. Obama even though he is obviously a poor choice with a cloud of unanswered questions swirling about him.

Sadly, it is clear that the DNC no longer wants what is best for America. Patriotism, qualifications and aptitude no longer are weighed when choosing a nominee to fill the most important position in the world.

June 16, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. Pam

Way to go out on a limb there, Al.

June 16, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |