June 17th, 2008

Emily's List founder and Obama campaign manager meet

(CNN) - Ellen Malcom, founder of Emily's List and a major Clinton supporter, met with Obama campaign manager David Plouffe at campaign headquarters in Chicago Tuesday.

Malcom, who has warned Obama publicly that he has to do more work to attract blue-collar women, told CNN the meeting included Emily's List Executive Director Ellen Moran and Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand. She also said it lasted more than an hour, and was "great."

Several weeks ago, Malcolm released an angry statement terming NARAL's decision to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton "tremendously disrespectful." Less than two weeks ago, she sent an e-mail to supporters in which she spoke positively of Obama, but said she was not quite over her "anger and grief" at Clinton's loss.

"My heart is with you, as I am working through my own emotional turmoil. I fervently believe that this anger and grief will subside, leaving me with a deep sense of pride at what Hillary has accomplished for women," she wrote. "But I have not yet reached that point in my journey, and I know many of you feel the same way."

But last week, Malcolm held a conference call with reporters to make the case that women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama - and that Emily's List will engage in grassroots work to make sure that happens.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. GL

It is about time to bring a end to this ill feeling of Clinton's supporters toward Obama.

June 17, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  2. Venus

If women can't stand the heat... stay out of the kitchen!!!

Learn to play by the rules and stop whinning!

Go Bam!

June 17, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  3. Lilarose

Ms. Malcom, I too am not over Hillary's loss, and with Obama's hiring of Patti Solis Doyle, he isn't gettin my vote.

Obama: You need to un-hire Doyle NOW.

Why did you reward a woman who was not faithful to Hillary's campaign?

June 17, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  4. Cole

I'm not a huge fan of her statement regarding the NARAL, as they are free to decide on more then sex, but I am glad she is coming round. Maybe she realized how terrible it would be to have four years of McBush.

Democrats 08.

June 17, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  5. AT

women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama . Get over it! I sense that those who are most Angry are the ones who don't ever get involved in Politics. the CHANGE we need and seek is for those ANGERED to get involved, had they rise up against G.W.in 2000 or 2004, they wouldn't feel so BITTER and ANGRY today!

UNITE AMERICA or remain BITTER, YOU CHOOSE THE CHANGE U DESERVE! OBAMA-CHANGE ALL THE WAY

ARE YOU FIRED UP AND READY TO GO?!

June 17, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. terri

To bad she needs to get over it. I'm sick of these certain women acting like Hillary was some how entitled to win the nomination it was a contest someone had to lose and she lost .

No one is owed anything. If they wan't to vote for McCain it is their right.
    Why are all the good people that are for Obama on these blogs virtually begging Hillary people? I don't get.

We will win in Nov.

Go Obama

June 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  7. KAREN

it won't make any difference who joins this campaign ,if barack is saying things like the gitmo detainees should be treated like a i:e like criminals. these folks[terrorist] are not US citizens. and they are not entitled to the same treatment as a criminal we are at war w/ terror. and if barack made a statement in this nature it won't matter who joins his team the election. and his run for the white house is doomed. YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP. i hope this story that fox is putting out is not true.

June 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  8. caron

I'm a woman that works with all guys so maybe my perspective is different, not quite so emotional - but the old saying that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned seems to be appropriate with some of Hillary's supporters. My sister is an ardent Clinton supporter and we could barely hold a civil conversation right after Hillary conceded. But she doesn't seem to be as angry now as she was – or maybe she's trying to hide it because everybody was starting to say she sounded crazy...

June 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. Jackie

I'm with you Malcolm. Keep it on. Obama can't win the Blue Collar workers. Hillary 2012.

June 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  10. annie

obama is not getting my vote regardless of who he meets with. He is unqualified, inexperienced and has a foreign policy advisor who compares terrorism to Whinne the Pooh. obama is a total wash-out and has brainwashed his followers. So sad for America. Hopefully Americans will wake-up before it is too late. Maybe the dnc and their SELECTED candidate can start their own country in south side chicago.

June 17, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  11. American Blue

Does anyone know why these wretched people continue to post these nasty blogs about not voting for Senator Obama. Listen people! we don't care; if you are ignorant enough to forfeit your Democratic values in this critical election, who wants your vote anyway. Clearly you people are voting with your emotions and not your logic or your grasp of the issues. Therefore on the eve of having total Democratic power in Washington; meaning a majority Democratic congress and a Democratic President one would have to not actually be a Democrat, or an incredibly stupid Democrat to try and tank their own values out of spite. Posting these lame I will vote McSame arguments only serves to cast doubt on your political intelligence. Please cease in burdening the rest of US happy Dems with your stupidity.

June 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. William, from Cali!

"Anger and grief", that really spells "Bitterness". This Women vote is made up of the bitter Clinton supporters, who are still bitter that she lost; how sad.........what of the "Other" women; that are not bitter; and voted for Obama ..............................".ELITISTS", are you all...................

June 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. The Oracle

Its about time, I knew women weren't vindictive and stupid enough to vote for a man that has voted EVERY TIME against womens, and civil rights issues. Also lets not 4get McCain called his wife a c&^t, and just took 300,000 from a man that stated and I quote "If its inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it." He was talking about rape.........

June 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. jason twombley- missouri

angry clinton supporters.....get over it, hillary pulled every dirty trick in the book, ans lost. period, all said, all done. obama is the nominee who will lead, you clinton supporters can just go on eating big macs and get fatter; we dont care, get it...we dont care...get with the party or go bury your head, just stop yoor crying and whining, like spoiled children.

June 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. Jan

We Clinton supporters need some time. I'll ask one simple question. If Obama had lost, would you all be so gung ho to join Hillary's campaign?

June 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. darren

lol i don't mean to laugh but caron that was kinda funny lol

June 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. Indiana Bob

Don't support him!! My wife and I have contributed to Emily's List for years, but we would not be willing to do that if they support Obama after the way he and his followers demonized Hillary Clinton. You would think the candidate of Change would have ran a positive campaign by promoting his political achievements - Oh that's right, it would be 60 seconds of a blank screen since he has no political achievements. I guess his only option is to spread hate and lies about his opponent. Look out McCain and Republicans!! The Obama cult is out to get you!!

June 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  18. HelloDollyLlama

Lilarose - Doyle was completely loyal to Hillary. It was Hillary who threw Doyle under the bus, blaming her for Penn's mistakes.

I am sick to death of all the whining from the wimmin folk on Team Hillary, all their grief etc etc. There's no crying in baseball - rub some dirt on it and get back in the outfield! Do you think, when Fred Thompson left the race, that Fred and all his supporters took to their beds with the vapors, boohooing into tubs of Chunky Monkey? Obama played by the rules and won fair and square - and he, not McCain, will protect Roe for you. You DID know McCain opposes Roe...?

June 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  19. Sean

PEOPLE! GET OVER THE HILLARY LOSS. SHE WAS BEAT FAIR AND SQUARE. iF YOU NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR OBAMA THEN YOU ARE NOT A TRUE DEM ANYWAY. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM FOR A BLACK MAN, SAY SO. STOP TRYING TO HIDE BEHIND HILLARY LOSS. GO AHEAD AND VOTE FOR MCBUSH! IF THAT WHAT YOU PEOPLE WANT THEN DO IT AND SEND YOUR MONEY TO MCBUSH.

June 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  20. go away mongers-Ventura ca

Face it pumA's and haters of the worst kind--Obama will be President come January. Change will happen.
    Your acting (and SPELLING) like you are in the third grade has gotten really old. REALLY OLD!
    Time for your nap now- let the grownups have the floor.

June 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. Army Momma 4 Obama

To Karen: If it is on FOX you can pretty much count on it being not true!

June 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  22. Fredrick-London

Get united & win a LANDSLIDE

100% Whitehouse is for the Democrats,,!!!!!
    Obama.&.Hillary,,Waooooooooo!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  23. Jim

For those not familiar with Emily's list, it is an organization that has done a great deal to support women running for political office. I have supported them in the past elections and watched them win very tough races that I have not thought were possible.

I am glad to see that they are supporting Obama and working on an effort to move forward. It should be a great boost for him especially when McCain is trying to look more liberal than he really is.

Great going.

June 17, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  24. dorothy

Barack Obama, appears to be doing alright with the team, he has now, and with common sense, and a team he can trust, I know he will continue to make great progress. I thought it was about the Democratic Party and the presumptive nominee for the President to Win the Election, and the one who Played by the Rules.

Obama '08

djg

June 17, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  25. BJ

Sorry Ms. Malcolm...

After the DNC and Obama stole the presidency from Hillary, I consulted my accountant, and he advised me I would be better off with McCain because Obama will tax me to death.

Oh well.