June 17th, 2008

Emily's List founder and Obama campaign manager meet

(CNN) - Ellen Malcom, founder of Emily's List and a major Clinton supporter, met with Obama campaign manager David Plouffe at campaign headquarters in Chicago Tuesday.

Malcom, who has warned Obama publicly that he has to do more work to attract blue-collar women, told CNN the meeting included Emily's List Executive Director Ellen Moran and Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand. She also said it lasted more than an hour, and was "great."

Several weeks ago, Malcolm released an angry statement terming NARAL's decision to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton "tremendously disrespectful." Less than two weeks ago, she sent an e-mail to supporters in which she spoke positively of Obama, but said she was not quite over her "anger and grief" at Clinton's loss.

"My heart is with you, as I am working through my own emotional turmoil. I fervently believe that this anger and grief will subside, leaving me with a deep sense of pride at what Hillary has accomplished for women," she wrote. "But I have not yet reached that point in my journey, and I know many of you feel the same way."

But last week, Malcolm held a conference call with reporters to make the case that women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama - and that Emily's List will engage in grassroots work to make sure that happens.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Cynthia

As a women I felt that I had the right to pick a candidate based on who I believed in – not based on gender or race.

June 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. KF

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the sexist comments that have been made regarding this story. And the sad thing is that some don't even realize how sexist they are – which just goes to show that sexism is ok and racism is not. Until that changes – Obama's win means nothing. The fact is that Obama took the nomination because he is male. Many women like myself were sad with the fact that he used the sexism to his benefit – that is why women are disappointed and at times angry that Obama got the nomination. Bottom line she was more qualified than he was, period. I will get behind him but he still needs to address his silence over the issue over sexism.

June 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. Tjaye in LA

I think this women and women like her belittle our vote when they insist that we vote based on gender over issues.

June 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. Angela

Hello Obama supporters- if the roles were reversed you would also feel anger , grief, etc- so we are trying to get over it- but that doesn't mean that it never happened!

You want Clinton and her supporters to be gracious well how about a little of that from Obama and his supporters.

Also, accept the fact that Obama needs "us" to win in Nov. Try not to get " too full of yourselves." McCain seems willing to work for our vote- Is Obama??

And yes, put Hillary on the ticket- again if the roles were reversed all the Obama supporters would demand he be the VP .

June 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Fredrick-London

Mc.Bush who's on DLA (Pension) What a shame!!!! He & his Muilt-millioner-Ciddie, Shouldnt pocket that when there Millions going to bed with-out..!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. Texas for Obama

All the women who are still angry that Hillary lost needs to get over it!
    Obama won thats the end of the story. She should have, could have and what if's are now in the past.

I am sure many people are tired of all of those who are still crying because she lost. These people are all hating on Obama and the remarks on these blogs are so rude and ignorant, The man won fair and square. It sometimes seems like little children are pouting on this blog. Everyone needs to grow up and realize there is a change coming to America,

I am so tired of the same Washington players singing the same song over and over and doing nothing. Take a good look at the state of our economy. John McCain has been in the U. S. Senate for many years, and he has done not-A-thing. So stop hating on Obama, and give the man a chance. I myself am tired of the old school players. We need change BIG TIME! Go Obama, Yes We Can! Those of you who want to go broke, and see your grandchildren go off to war, vote for McCain.

June 17, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Mark Anthony -

I agree it's time for healing and I understand that many Hillary supporters are upset at the outcome but consider a McCain administation. I'm sure my mom isn't the only one who had son's that were eligible for the war in Iraq.

Ask yourself this questions. Do you want your son or daughter in Iraq? Do you want to continue to pay high gas prices? Do you enjoy the state of the economy? If so McCain all the way!!!!

True Dem!!!!

June 17, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  8. Where's My Popcorn

So what number are we up to now on all the conspiracies being perpetrated against poor defenseless victimized Hillary "Just A Gal Trying To Get Somewhere In A Man's World" Clinton? Has to be up into the hundreds don't you think?

So at last count more or less it was Obama, sexism, media bias, Obama supporters, DNC, Michelle Obama, the DNC, caucas states, Mercury in retrograde, natural disasters, Keith Olbermann, AA's, liberals, latte drinkers, Prius drivers, global warming, super delegates, The Huffington post, SNL, a shoulder brush, etc. and now the hiring of someone she fired, one Ms. Patti Solis-Doyle's fault for yet another injustice being done to poor HIllary. Hahahaha

Injustice is what is happening in Maynamar, Dufar, etc. Conspiracies are what took our jobs to China and India and now have us paying through the nose for their over-inflated oil consumption as their economies thrive and ours goes down the toilet. Women's rights are being violated in just about every 3rd world country on the planet and yet people are throwing hissy's trying to make one more thing about Hillary which it isn't? It would all be truly sad if it wasn't so pathetically funny.

June 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  9. texan

Well at least we know where our TAXES will be going if Obama wins

SOUTH SIDE CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  10. Real Democrat

Jackie, I'm a blue collar worker and so is the rest of my large family

We all support Obama.

Any blue collar worker who supports McCain better hope Wal-Mart and McDonalds is hiring cause that's where we'll all be working should we elect McCain.

June 17, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. Margaret

To Jan, yes, if Clinton had won fair & square (like Obama did) I would be supporting her as strongly as I support Obama.

It's a shame that some of these women obviously supported Clinton only because she's a woman rather than on the issues she feels so strongly about and which she knows that Obama shares the same views on almost all the issues.

It's also a shame that during the primaries the Clinton supporters spread so many untrue rumours about Obama that her supporters still believe them. I know many won't admit it, but some of the things that Clinton said during the primaries is really hurting Obama as the RNC is now using what she said against him.

June 17, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  12. Can we unite please!

Jan, I can't answer that question. I am just upset that since Hillary lost, you guys have been so nasty. I just hope we can UNITE and not be so apart. We need to stop the Republican machine and stop falling for the fake Hillary supporters who are telling women to vote for McCain. I think women know when phony Hillary supporters are really McCain supporters and are trying to win the real Hillary supporters away. Lets win our Government back.

June 17, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Robert from Washington

Wow, judging from the Clinton bitter enders, you'd think the Clintons were angels in the primary and never said a harsh thing about Sen. Obama. I distinctly remember Sen. Clinton ranking Obama — FELLOW DEMOCRAT! — below McCain, saying all Obama had to offer was a speech. You think that's not an ugly, demeaning, below-the-belt remark, bitter enders? When Sen. Clinton did that, she lost my vote and my support.

June 17, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

American Blue, Hillary Supporters who vote for McCain may not be 'Democrats' by your standards, but they are Americans by mine. So you can stay a happy partisan while HRC's supporters tip the balance in McCain's favor. Just maybe these Hillary supporters aren't being emotional and realize we should have a President with more than 5 minutes of relevant experience. It's the Obama supporters who are defying logic to emotionally vote for a good stump speach with no substance behind it.

June 17, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. GET OVER IT!!!!

Lilarose.......................................Ms. Malcom, I too am not over Hillary's loss, and with Obama's hiring of Patti Solis Doyle, he isn't gettin my vote.Obama: You need to un-hire Doyle NOW...............GET OVER IT ............YOU are selfish and you are not in charge of making decisions ............keep your selfish VOTE !!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Josh, NY

Everyday it's all Obama all the time--you are going to kill him with this overexposure---nobody can stand up to all this idolization--
    I see people prostrating themselves before him as if he was the Messiah--NOT.

June 17, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  17. Ralph

AT June 17th, 2008 7:32 pm ET

women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama . Get over it! I sense that those who are most Angry are the ones who don't ever get involved in Politics. the CHANGE we need and seek is for those ANGERED to get involved, had they rise up against G.W.in 2000 or 2004, they wouldn't feel so BITTER and ANGRY today!

UNITE AMERICA or remain BITTER, YOU CHOOSE THE CHANGE U DESERVE! OBAMA-CHANGE ALL THE WAY

ARE YOU FIRED UP AND READY TO GO?!
    ==========================================

NO we WON'T vote for Obama!!!!!

We are fired up....PUMA Democrats!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. diane canada

Indiana Bob, Obama did not "demonize" Hillary Clinton, not once. Where have you been during these primaries?
    His supporters, and hers, have collectively "demonized" each others candidates, but it was only one group of supporters who had a role model for in their own candidate and it wasn't Obama's group.

June 17, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  19. S. BOATMAN WARRENSBURG MO.

Here Comes The Clinton Conspiracy Theorist And The Lame Puma Pac Who Have The Awesome Power Of A Group A Thousand People Strong! Ha! Get Over Yourselves! Obama Is Going To Be Our Next President! Women Will Not Vote To Set Back Their Rights Or Send There Children Off For A Stupid War! Most Women Are Actually Very Intelligent! They Will Vote On The Issues And Not Because Hillary Lost! Thats Right! . . . She Lost! Get Over It!

June 17, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  20. Dave

I think Emily Malcolm, and poster Jan are right. When you really pour your heart into a campaign and come up short, it is disappointing and takes time to recover your political bearings. I worked like crazy for Kerry in 2004 and was depressed for weeks after the elections. Now, however, I'm just mad as hell at the republican party for trashing the country I love. At the end of the day, I think the vast majority of Hillary's supporters will vote for Obama. The one thing that won't help is to demand Hillary supporters "get over it" on some specific timetable. The best thing to do is let the supporters know they are welcome to help out at anytime in anyway. If that is too much, then their vote in November will be just fine.

June 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. YES HE CAN !!!!

Jackie................. I'm with you Malcolm. Keep it on. Obama can't win the Blue Collar workers. Hillary 2012................YES he CAN !!!!!.

June 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. right

democrats are a joke look at dodd gets a good deal on his home loan
    but we the people vote for him what a joke this is a demo oh no maybe he is a rep in sheep skin

June 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  23. Rhea

Jan, Yes I would , because I am not voting with my emotions, or because shes a woman, or because he is black or biracial like most of you HRC supporters are. HRC and Obama has basically the same policies. I do not want and the country does not need another republican in office.

BJ, He did not steal anything from Hillary. She did it to herself, please explain to us Obama supporters how did he steal the presidency from Hillary......please tell us, because we do not understand what your talking about......do you understand what your talking about?

June 17, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  24. Shannon

As a Hillary Supporter I will proudly support Senator Obama!!! I am sorry so many of her other supporters could care less about the policies and positions that she supported. While they are willing to spit on her life's work. I truly believe in the causes and I know that Senator Obama will represent them. Whereas, McCain has voted against every woman's issue put before him. Obama 08'

June 17, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  25. NoMcSame

Some say Obama will tax them to death, well I say to them McSame will surly put your kids to death by sending them to Iraq. Pick your poison.
    Obama08 With or without you.

June 17, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |