June 17th, 2008

Emily's List founder and Obama campaign manager meet

(CNN) - Ellen Malcom, founder of Emily's List and a major Clinton supporter, met with Obama campaign manager David Plouffe at campaign headquarters in Chicago Tuesday.

Malcom, who has warned Obama publicly that he has to do more work to attract blue-collar women, told CNN the meeting included Emily's List Executive Director Ellen Moran and Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand. She also said it lasted more than an hour, and was "great."

Several weeks ago, Malcolm released an angry statement terming NARAL's decision to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton "tremendously disrespectful." Less than two weeks ago, she sent an e-mail to supporters in which she spoke positively of Obama, but said she was not quite over her "anger and grief" at Clinton's loss.

"My heart is with you, as I am working through my own emotional turmoil. I fervently believe that this anger and grief will subside, leaving me with a deep sense of pride at what Hillary has accomplished for women," she wrote. "But I have not yet reached that point in my journey, and I know many of you feel the same way."

But last week, Malcolm held a conference call with reporters to make the case that women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama - and that Emily's List will engage in grassroots work to make sure that happens.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. B. Churchill

It's a long road 'til November, but the Obama momentum is building. Haters and knaves just make themselves look foolish. The kind of change we Obama supporters demand isn't a fashion statement or trend; we know the fate of the nation we love depends on it.

If you love this country, put your shoulder to the wheel and push!

If you want to see it on the scrapheap of history, keep doing things the way you have.

It's that simple.

June 17, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  2. S. BOATMAN WARRENSBURG MO.

A Quick Impression Of People From The Lame Puma Pac . . . . Waaaaa! My Candidate Lost! So Now I Will Vote For Someone With The Exact Opposite Views! Waaaaaaa!

June 17, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. Aimee

The well being of our country is a far greater cause than supporting any one political candidate. I am an Obama supporter and have supported him since Iowa. It was a painful decision for me to make because I am a woman and would so very much love to see a woman in the white house and, though I did become frustrated with some of the dirty politics that went on from the Clinton side, I still admire Hillary. I chose Obama because he inspires me in a way that other candidates can never done. I'm not the type to fall for "cult of personality" types. I've done my research and there is is substance behind the eloquent words. I am inspired by Barack Obama's pledge to shed light onto the way politics is run in Washington. Far from being a tax-and-spend liberal, he seems to understand that we need a balanced budget and his plans will not to continue the tax-break and spend fiasco of the Bush-Cheney years.

We all want a better future and world for our children. Obama loves his two daughters. Their home is his hope! He will make the country better for women and men.

June 17, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  4. THE TRUTH IS!!!!!!

KAREN.............. i hope this story that fox is putting out is not true.......FOX NEWS, NAMELY SEAN has been Against MR OBAMA SINCE day ONE ! MOVE ON !!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  5. Aimee

I meant to type "Their hope is his hope", though as written my words still apply.

June 17, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. john williams san diego, ca.

Ms. Malcom-we reject Hillary not for being a woman(?), but for lying to the American people for 35 years and when she gets caught we get a response–"SO WHAT, I MADE A MISTAKE, I'M ONLY HUMAN"...you hitched your star to a deceiving woman but she learned from the best.(bubba)

June 17, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  7. SAY WHAT!!!!

Cynthia ............As a women I felt that I had the right to pick a candidate based on who I believed in – not based on gender or race..............WE all have RIGHTS !!!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. ME

I'm sick and tire of hearing if we don't vote for Obama we are not true dems. Because we are true dems we do not vote for Obama. The other one is "voting with your emotions, not with logic" . Because we have logic we do not vote for Obama and because we do have a grasp of the issues that is why we do not vote for Obama.

June 17, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. carlo

Karen, foreigners ARE entitled to trial. If an American was detained in the Middle East and accused of being a terrorist, what would you think then about them not receiving a fair trial? It's easy to make accusations like that when the shoe is on the other foot.

As far as Obama hiring Doyle, how do any of you know whether or not he has discussed this with Clinton? For all we know, he could have. Doyle has been in negotiations with the Obama campaign for months. Besides, I think that the inside men in the Clinton campaign pushed Doyle out after she had done her job of winning the Hispanic vote. The woman still has to work.

June 17, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. Raz

Guys, this Reps technique, which they say ( Dems voting for McSame), these are uneducated Reps. who are happy, they don't care about the economy, and this country, they don't even know what's economy is, they don't care of health issues, most probably they don't know what healt is, anyway I am Happy to see Clinton and Obama together and I wish them well.

June 17, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  11. cherry strawberry

As a woman I wish the Hillary fanatics woulfdGET OVER IT! You are a disgrace to womanhood, motherhood and sisterhood. Now I know why men think women are too emotional to be in high positions. You guys are pathetic and for the first time in my life I am sorry to be female.

Obama/Gore 08

June 17, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  12. M. Felder

Annie

It sounds like you have your own self-esteem problem. Just because Senator Obama have the confidence to believe that he can be President of the US. I think that speak volume for his confidence level. Sometimes in life, you have to step out on faith, regardless of what other people might think about you. If you really want to make a difference in this election, regardless of who you will be voting for in November, try findng out how your state and district reps have been voting in the past. If they are not voting your interests, you need to try booting them out. All this gridlock in Washington happens because we have reps not voting our interest. If we start putting pressure on these reps, we will get the results we seek.

June 17, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. DannyCali

After meeting their going to say Hillary is the VP I think.......! If not majority
    of White, women and old people going to vote for McCain. Obama can't win in general election with out Hillary because she the most qualify and powerful in DNC side but majority of AA'S and men in this country dump her under the bus that's why she didn't get nominee.

June 17, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. OBAMA // HILLARY

LILAROSE

DO YO FEEL BIG?
    OR DID YOU JUST BELITTLE YOURSELF
    GET OVER IT

June 17, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  15. eam

HE'S A QUESTION FOR THE OBAMA-NAZIS, IF CLINTON SUPPORTERS DON'T MATTER WHY IS HE PANDERING TO THEM. WHY DOES HE WANT OUR VOTE. IF ITS TRUE WHAT ALL YOU SAY THAT WE DON'T MATTER.

June 17, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  16. M.Jones

It's time to move forward and get behind Barack Obama. The country cannot stand 4 more years of disastrous Republican politicies.

Hillary Clinton and her supporters will do the right thing. Hillary made a gracious speech in support of Barack. She had nothing but good things to say about Patti Solis Doyle. Implications by the press that they are not speaking are absurd. I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary didn't recommend Patti Solis Doyle to Barack Obama.

What about the Hillary spokesman who has gone to work for Fox news? Now there is a suspect character!

Women support each other and play fair. I don't know who is writing in blogs which part of the Democratic party against others – but I suspect that it is not Democrats! Don't fall for the ruse, fellow Democrats. Stand together and have a little faith! We must and will pull together to win in November!

Women – and men – who want national security, a healthy economy, good education, and fair justice for all will vote for Barack Obama in November.

Hillary Clinton set new records in raising money, demonstrated again and again that women can be as tough as they need to be without giving up their femininity, and made it easier for all future women candidates to run. She inspired many women who had never been politically active before – and many men – to become politically active. She has a long and successful political career ahead of her and is still relatively young – especially given that women age more slowly than men! Fact!

The ability of women to run for office and be taken seriously by the main street media has forever been improved by Hillary Clinton's campaign. We have not seen the last of her, and she will be even stronger in the future.

So let's let by-gones be by-gones. We must make peace with each other, support our Democratic candidate, and take on the horrible smear campaign being waged against Barack Obama by John McCain and the Republican hate mongerers.

June 17, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  17. Honestly

We've GOT to focus on the bigger picture – and NARAL was able to look at the numbers objectively and say, "You know what, Obama's on our side and it appears he'll be the nominee..." where others were operating under loyalist pre-tenses!

We HAVE to keep McCain from getting to appoint Supreme Court justices = That's Priority #1 and it trumps all else!!!

Oh, and unless you're making over $250,000 per year I wouldn't be concerned about your taxes under Obama BJ – your accountant is DEAD wrong!

June 17, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  18. John

SHUT UP WITH ALL THIS UNITY CRAP!!

IF YOU WANT UNITY PUT CLINTON AS VP AND THEN WE CAN TALK.

June 17, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  19. Michael, Lorain Ohio

Lilarose

You clearly are mis-informed about Patti Solis Doyle. You see, Ms Doyle, has never had campaign management expirience before this election. But Clinton, in her finite wisdom, choose to go with someone who was loyal rather than someone with prior expirience. To blame Doyle entirely for HRC's demise is truely insulting of epic proportions.

Oh and to the people still whining about MI and FL compromise: The GOP are doing the exact same thing that the DNC is by only counting half the delegates. So by voting for either party, you are still only getting half the vote regardless. Please explain why no punishment should have been handed out and furthermore, why you never whined about it when the rules were set before the primaries began.

June 17, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  20. M. Felder

Jan

In answer to your question, If Obama had lost the nomination, I would have supported the democratic nominee. I am a democrat at heart. and both Clinton and Obama agreed upon 95% of the issues. Regardless of who gets in the office, I will be ok. But there are millions of families who will not be ok. Those are the people that I support.

June 17, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  21. eam

HEY AMERICAN BLUE IS THAT THE SAME THING AS BLACKS VOTING BLACK?

June 17, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  22. Charles

We have the opportunity to accomplish great things within the next couple of months but I see this train wreck about to happen. Folks we should be looking towards the new democratic horizon that's preparing to dawn as a united party. Instead I see political back biting within the party because of an implied suggestion (THEY WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA.)

I hate to say it, but it appears the rhetoric was taken to heart. Instead of looking at current situation with biased eyes, we need to look at what's best for the nation. Believe me what's best for the nation is not MCCAIN.

Don't allow another Nader, Florida fiasco to occur

June 17, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  23. Shannon

Clinton and her supporters are being forced to support Obama. The media is already saying that Clinton will be responsible if Obama loses, They are starting to test the story that she didn't campaign hard enough for him, therefore his loss will be her fault. Tell me, when is Mr Obama responsible for anything he does. I could never support this man, he's already flip flopping on getting our troops out of Iraq. This man will say and do anything to be elected.

June 17, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  24. Greg, Brattleboro, VT

Republicans!!!!!!

Stop wearing Clinton supporters clothes. We all know that you are Republicans trying to spew venom and bring confusion in decent voters minds. Your reasoning has betrayed you.

Can't ! Now, not this time. It's too late.

WELCOME on board Hillary and let make it DEM again!

dorothy, you are absolutely right!

June 17, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  25. DM, Arlington TX

Sometimes in the heat of a contest thing will be often said when we are loosing that hold no baring on the case. It's just that the person we wanted to when lost. That all we all just need to pull togather and heal America because we are broke and in need of repair. This repair can only begin we we work togather...

June 17, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |