June 17th, 2008

Emily's List founder and Obama campaign manager meet

(CNN) - Ellen Malcom, founder of Emily's List and a major Clinton supporter, met with Obama campaign manager David Plouffe at campaign headquarters in Chicago Tuesday.

Malcom, who has warned Obama publicly that he has to do more work to attract blue-collar women, told CNN the meeting included Emily's List Executive Director Ellen Moran and Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand. She also said it lasted more than an hour, and was "great."

Several weeks ago, Malcolm released an angry statement terming NARAL's decision to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton "tremendously disrespectful." Less than two weeks ago, she sent an e-mail to supporters in which she spoke positively of Obama, but said she was not quite over her "anger and grief" at Clinton's loss.

"My heart is with you, as I am working through my own emotional turmoil. I fervently believe that this anger and grief will subside, leaving me with a deep sense of pride at what Hillary has accomplished for women," she wrote. "But I have not yet reached that point in my journey, and I know many of you feel the same way."

But last week, Malcolm held a conference call with reporters to make the case that women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama - and that Emily's List will engage in grassroots work to make sure that happens.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ben

Why all this crap about Obama not being ready to be comander and chief of the armed forces. Name me one president in history with the exception of Eisenhower who was fully capable of being comander and chief. Presedents relie on advice from top notch generals when they make any decision relating to the defense of the U.S.
    Only one president has taken it upon himself to command without carefull advice from the men who really are in position to know the true situation. That man was George Bush! Look what that commander and chief has done to our country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. Shannon

AT, do you have a clue, or do you just make stuff up as you go along, I'll put my knowledge of politics up against yours any day of the week. I bet you couldn't tell me how Obama voted on anything. Did you know he voted for the Cheney Energy Bill, did you know he was a no show on FISA, did you know that he missed 42% of his votes in the senate. Did you know he voted present eight times on women's right to choose issues. He was a no show on Kyle Lieberman, he voted for the gas tax holiday while in the IL Senate. Please don't lecture me or any other woman on being bitter. I vote because I agree or disagree with a candidate. Obama doesn't represent me, and his arrogant name calling supporters couldn't be a bigger turnoff. Politics of hope and change, god that's funny!

June 17, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  3. sue calgary

For all those Clinton Supporters who now say they will vote for McCain. Do it! Have it your way!
    If you could step back and think about the implication of that single act then maybe you'd think again before you make that choice. Think of where America is today and how things have changed so drastically for the worse in the last 8 years. Isn't it time to say ENOUGH!! We deserve better. The world is changing, a new generation has come, the face of leadership is changing. Get on the bandwagon, or get out of the way.
    At the end of the day "you get what you pay for" Good Luck!!!!

Observer from Canada

June 17, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  4. Emma, San Jose, CA

I just glimpse at what the posts say and as soon as I know they are angry, anti-Obama Dems, I quickly move on.

June 17, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  5. Annamica, OH

Obama is an idiot. He is doing NOTHING to win over Clinton supporters. He is sitll pandering to his own supporters. Start acting like a man Obama, and agree to some debates with McCain. We want to see town halls. We already know you're inexperienced. Show us something that makes you worthy to be president other than stump speeches. People are tired of hearing your story of "hope"and change". Start talking about what you're going to do!

June 17, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Vig

Look, there doesn't have to be a blanket endorsement of the lesser qualified candidate, Obama – people need to know you can write in Hillary Clinton as your choice for President on the November ballot and that's exactly what millions of her supporters will be doing. Hillary for President!

June 17, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. rachel

Its so easy for people to say get over it when they are on the winning end. I bet there would be cries of racisim and favoritism and all sorts of things if Barack had lost, so give hillary supporters some time. I also am sick and tired of people saying she should have left early there was no need to continue the primaries. What kind of lesson is that when the going get rough you just give up? I ran a race one time it was between me and another girl and my mother was watching the other girl won I stopped when she crossed the finish line I never finsished it, My mom shook her head and I thought she was mad at me cause I lost and she said I am not mad that you didnt win I am mad you didnt finish what you started. It was hillary's right to finish what she started.

June 17, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  8. McCain 08

we dont need Hillary or her screaming women to win this election.

McCain 08

June 17, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  9. WoMeN4McCain

Hillary…you let us down! Do you actually think we are going to do what you want us to do. We are mad and dangit you are going to pay attention to us. You LOSER! We are voting for MCCAIN to spite you…yes YOU! I put my time and effort and hard earned money into you and you failed me! Youkept asking me for money after you KNEW you didn't have a chance. I AM VOTING FOR MCCAIN! DEal with it old lady! This old lady is on the McCain train!

June 17, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  10. Rich

So many republicans posers on here it makes me want to move on to another place for news.

I've been to the PUMA Site (Know thy enemies) and I believe it is a Republican swift boat like site meant to lure in people.

Hillary Clinton did a great job of running for president, but there can only be one winner. Because of a great candidate and a great team, Barack Obama won. Republicans are furious because they know more about Hillary than Barack and can dish more dirt out. So they are working to get her on as Vice President candidate. I like Hillary, but I don't think she is the best candidate because she doesn't balance the ticket as well as a strong foreign policy person like Nunn or Richardson. Some depth in foreign policy would be great to see.

The republicans posers on here (NOTICE A FEW ONLY WORK IN CAPS BECAUSE THEY CAN"T FIND THE CAP LOCK KEY) show the big difference in candidates. I can argue why John McCain shouldn't be President, but I don't have to resort to name calling, innuendos or pose as a Democrat to make my arguments.

June 17, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  11. M.Jones

Please note that Emily's LIst gives money only to women candidates.

So the gentleman writing above who claims to have been a long time supporter, along with his wife, of Emily's List, is obviously faking it when he says he won't contribute to Emily's List if they support Barack Obama. How do I know? I am a long term supporter of Emily's List – which has almost single handedly helped women around the country raise early money for their political campaigns. That's why we now have more than 10% women in the House and the Senate whereas we had practically none before 1992.

I supported Barack Obama in the primary and I think he is by far the best candidate for women's issues, national security, the economy, education, constitutional rights, and growing opportunities for the work force of America. He also believes in strong support for the military. People who say we don't know any thing about him haven't even bothered to google his record, or even to look at his 8 years of service in the State Senate of Illinois, or read his two books, or the many articles written about him by people who have known him a long time.

So the Fox pundits who say otherwise haven't done their homework once more – or are they deliberately misleading the public?

Incidently, people who work at Emily's List may support Barack Obama as individuals – but the organization gives their limited financial resources only to women. But obviously, their email and mailing lists are very valuable to Barack Obama's campaign in reaching out to women voters. Because Emily's List is literally the women who for many years ( as well as recent additions) have put their money where their mouths were – as true supporters of women in America.

Incidently, Emily stands for Early Money Is Like Yeast – let's help the bread rise in the kitchen! And there are lot's of great women candidates for other offices besides the presidency which need support in November.

June 17, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  12. Mia and Mike

Well said American Blue!! The following are our sentiments exactly and deserve to be repeated:

"Does anyone know why these wretched people continue to post these nasty blogs about not voting for Senator Obama. Listen people! we don't care; if you are ignorant enough to forfeit your Democratic values in this critical election, who wants your vote anyway. Clearly you people are voting with your emotions and not your logic or your grasp of the issues. Therefore on the eve of having total Democratic power in Washington; meaning a majority Democratic congress and a Democratic President one would have to not actually be a Democrat, or an incredibly stupid Democrat to try and tank their own values out of spite. Posting these lame I will vote McSame arguments only serves to cast doubt on your political intelligence. Please cease in burdening the rest of US happy Dems with your stupidity."
    _____________________________________________________

If you are a Democrat that does not want to vote for Barack Obama in November, that is your right. We certainly hope that is not what you choose to do in the end, but if so, we will still respect you. However, enough already with your constant exclaims of not voting for him on these blogs. We get it loud and clear: you do not like him and don't plan on voting for him. Again, this is your right, but give it a rest. Those of us who plan to stand firm to our beliefs and convictions of the Democratic Party would like to move on. How about you just become a die-hard McCain supporter and claim your Republican status. I have a helluva lot more respect for Republicans who come out to defend their candidate than I do for Democrats who only chose to bad-mouth our nominee.

June 17, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  13. OH

All you women who are hell bent and angry have a right to be but it is your problem.

If you prefer not to support the nominee then so be it. You can keep your anger to yourselves and vote for McCain.

Some people are like horses wearing blinders and can only see directly in front.

Go ahead and vote for McCain and see who suffer the most. Roe v. Wade gone with the wind and all the progress women made over the years gone as well.

Your hate will finally do you in and place you all 50 years in the past. See what happen in 2000 & 2004? Go ahead and do a repeat!

I call your anger ignorance and stupidity. Have fun while you are pulling the lever.

June 17, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  14. oboma hater

hey annamica,you just mad because hillary lost, booooooooo

June 17, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  15. Ann

I voted for Hillary but I would never vote for McCain just because I am mad that OBama won. I think that is thumbing your nose as everything that Hillary stands for and everything the Dems stand for. I don't understand: "I am voting for McCain."

June 17, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  16. Emma, San Jose, CA

Lilarose, you've got it all wrong. Doyle did not quit. She was fired. Are you suggesting she cannot work for anyone but the person who fired her?

It is noticeable how much and how extended the grief of the Hillary loss
    is for so many. And the anger phase is lasting so long. The blaming goes on and on. Fortunately, we are a nation with rights, including having a national political party that regulates elections to prevent chaos.
    Thus, the DNC did not give the nomination to Obama. He would have won, regardless of their action.

June 17, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. S. BOATMAN WARRENSBURG MO.

Lets All Take A Deep Breath And Say It Out Loud . . . . President Obama . . . . There . . . Doesnt That Feel Better! . . . . Yes We Can!

June 17, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. Ron

Clinton supporters need get over their emotions and decide to vote for the same reasons were voting for Hillary.

Bring our troops home and long term care for them
    Ammend NAFTA
    Healthcare reform
    Create jobs
    Make college affordable

These are all issues that Sen. Obama considers important. A vote for McCain would be childish and irresponsible to the American people and our nations furture.

June 17, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  19. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Question to those Hillary backers who refuse to vote for Obama:

Will you be attending rallies for your new man John McCain? And if so, do you think you will leave the rally still wanting to vote for McCain?

Will you be contributing to his campaign and trying to get others to vote for him?

Yeah–I am sure Hillary wants you to do EXACTLY THAT! (sarcasm)

June 17, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  20. PumaontheRocks

For a guy that says he wants change, he sure is spending a lot of time with Clinton supporters and working hard on getting her supporters to vote for him.
    I see no difference between Obama any other democrats. Obama will not bring a nation together and heal all that is broke.
    He is NOT God. He is just a man that speaks well.

Inspire?? Yes he inspired me to stand up and fight. I don't want Obama anywhere near the White House or my pocket book!!!

PUMA Democrat!!

June 17, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. RJ, CA

TOO LATE!

Had it been a Clinton/Obama ticket, I would have voted Democrat, as I have for more than 30 years. I would have done this because:

1) Hillary has the knowledge and experience RIGHT NOW to tackle the huge problems our country faces (and, yes, with her husband, Bill Clinton - who gave this country its best 8 years in recent history - at her side). (Consider who is at Senator Obama's "side.")
    2) Obama is truly an inspirational guy, but "inspiration" doesn't pay the bills - in fact, if often multiplies the bills, because "inspiration" must be tempered with "wisdom," which is honed through EXPERIENCE. (Who do you go to when your life gets really "tough" and "confusing"? Your parents, I bet, because they have EXPERIENCE!
    3) If Obama had spent 4-8 years watching and learning from Hillary Clinton, he would have the credibility and experience to actually implement his "change" rhetoric.
    4) Basically, Obama only has national experience since 2005, when he was elected to the U.S. Senate (and most of 2007 and 2008 he was engaged in his presidential campaign).
    5) Hillary Clinton has been in the Senate since 2000.
    6) Hillary has been on the "national" scene since 1993, when Bill Clinton was elected president. ( Does anyone really doubt that SHE was the inspiration for her husband's highly successful 8 years in the presidency? I don't for a moment.)
    8) The national call for universal health care was HERS - NOT Obama's.

So to sum it up for me, EXPERIENCE IS EVERYTHING! That is why I will now vote for John McCain - the ONLY candidate now left with genuine experience.

June 17, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  22. Mia and Mike

Posted By Jan above:

"We Clinton supporters need some time. I'll ask one simple question. If Obama had lost, would you all be so gung ho to join Hillary's campaign?"

Hi Jan, this is Mia here. My husband Mike posted earlier. I just wanted to respond to you and honestly tell you that I KNOW I would have a hard time being gung-ho about having to join the Hillary campaign if Obama lost. I would be disappointed and heartbroken. I would need time to deal with everything and would not be in the best of spirits to vote for the person who brought down my chosen candidate. I really appreciate your sincere questioning and just wanted to let you know my honest answer. Thank you for taking things back a step and putting things in better perspective. I hope that all Democrat supporters of both candidates can have better introspection from your email. I hope that all of us, supporters of both Hillary and Barack, can figure out a win-win solution to all of the hurt feelings. I hope that we can all embrace each other and not continue to rub each other the wrong way. Thank you for your post.

June 17, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  23. Julie

Logic, plain and simple. Regarding womens issues Obama is the only logical choice. McCain wants to regress back to the 50's. Women are too astute to fall for McCains schtick on issues – not just womens issues but his overall platform (if you can call it that.)

June 17, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  24. beverly

this is going to be a glorious victory for democratic party, this year will be a joyous one. the democrates are starting to pull together. THERE NO LOOKING BACK, I FORESEE A HUGH VICTORY.

June 17, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  25. rey

From An Army wife: If it is from FOX it darn right is true, fair and balanced.
    McCain will prevail.