June 17th, 2008

Emily's List founder and Obama campaign manager meet

(CNN) - Ellen Malcom, founder of Emily's List and a major Clinton supporter, met with Obama campaign manager David Plouffe at campaign headquarters in Chicago Tuesday.

Malcom, who has warned Obama publicly that he has to do more work to attract blue-collar women, told CNN the meeting included Emily's List Executive Director Ellen Moran and Obama's deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand. She also said it lasted more than an hour, and was "great."

Several weeks ago, Malcolm released an angry statement terming NARAL's decision to endorse Obama over Hillary Clinton "tremendously disrespectful." Less than two weeks ago, she sent an e-mail to supporters in which she spoke positively of Obama, but said she was not quite over her "anger and grief" at Clinton's loss.

"My heart is with you, as I am working through my own emotional turmoil. I fervently believe that this anger and grief will subside, leaving me with a deep sense of pride at what Hillary has accomplished for women," she wrote. "But I have not yet reached that point in my journey, and I know many of you feel the same way."

But last week, Malcolm held a conference call with reporters to make the case that women who backed Clinton's presidential bid, even those angered by the primary race's result, will also support Obama - and that Emily's List will engage in grassroots work to make sure that happens.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. aware

No way! This former Democrat will never vote the party and media selected, arrogant, pander-puss Obama! 😦

June 17, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. johnnie m stallings

God bless america land that we love, stand . I wonder if being bitter
    because hillary lost means the same thing as bitter in pa. the women are bitter and clanging to their hilliary?

June 17, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  3. curtis

Hillary supporters face it.Your canditate did not win, even if Obama loses in the general history will show that he defeated Bill and Hillary Clinton. If it makes you feel good to vote for Mcbush do it , but do understand that would make Mcain beat Obama something that Hillary could not and never will do.

June 17, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. Mark

If any real idiot was with the times, then the change and hope is all apparent on his website, which he lays out accordingly. I guess people are too busy listening to Limbaugh and Hannidy to turn their attention towards anything else. For the love of God, stop accusing Obama of being all fluff and no stuff! The real difference between a Republican and a Democrat is how honest they are; Republicans never want to admit they are wrong, and when Democrats do, they get all the flak from Republicans who press them on it. ANYONE who votes for Mccain is not a Democrat, they are practically Republicans.

June 17, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. Texas Trail Dog

SUE CALGAY – Yes I have taken a step back. I've looked Obama up and down. I have listened to every slur his supporters can make about Clinton. Like the man above who said Clinton backed away and went back home. That Hillary might not show up for her meeting with Obama. Where in hades do you people come up with this stuff. When has An AA every stood up to anything worth while. Now you want this evil crook in the Oval Office. I have been a Democrat for 51-years and yes to the PERSON who said that if we Hillary supporters voted for McCain we wouldn't be Democrats anymore. YOU SURE GOT THAT RIGHT AS LONG AS THERES, AN OBAMA, A KENNEDY, A DEAN, A PELOSI, A KERRY. A BYRD, A GORE A OPRAH, AND YOU NAME THE REST OF THE DNC IS NOT A PARTY THAT I ONCE RESPECTED. I DO NOT KNOW FOR THE LIFE OF ME WHY THE CLINTONS DO NOT DENOUNCE THIS RAG TIME JAZZED AND RAPPED UP HAS BEEN PARTY. THEY WILL NOT GET MY MONEY OR MY SUPPORT. YOU WANT TO CALL ME A RACIST. WELL COME TO THINK OF IT....... YES I AM..... JUST LIKE YOU AAs ARE THAT CAN'T QUIT BASHING A WOMAN THAT IS MORE PRESIDENTIAL THAN OBAMA COULD ONLY DREAM OF BEING. I CAN NOT THINK THAT YOU THE ONE WHO SAID LIKE CCN THAT WE ARE JUST UNEDUCATED FOLKS WHO VOTE FOR HILLARY. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF YOU AAs COMPLETED HIGH SCHOOL MUCH LESS GO TO COLLEGE. I AM PRAND THAT IS TO JOIN FORCES WITH THE LIKES OF OBAMAOUD TO SAY THAT I HAVE MY MASTER'S DEGREE AND I AM A HILLARY SUPPORTER UNTIL SHE MAKES THE WORST MISTAKE SHE CAN MAKE .

June 17, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. Concerned Citizen of America

To all you holdovers from Operation Chaos, enjoy your games, they are coming to a swift end in Nov 08

June 17, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  7. Texas Trail Dog

SUE CALGAY – Yes I have taken a step back. I've looked Obama up and down. I have listened to every slur his supporters can make about Clinton. Like the man above who said Clinton backed away and went back home. That Hillary might not show up for her meeting with Obama. Where in hades do you people come up with this stuff. When has An AA every stood up to anything worth while. Now you want this evil crook in the Oval Office. I have been a Democrat for 51-years and yes to the PERSON who said that if we Hillary supporters voted for McCain we wouldn't be Democrats anymore. YOU SURE GOT THAT RIGHT AS LONG AS THERES, AN OBAMA, A KENNEDY, A DEAN, A PELOSI, A KERRY. A BYRD, A GORE A OPRAH, AND YOU NAME THE REST OF THE DNC IS NOT A PARTY THAT I ONCE RESPECTED. I DO NOT KNOW FOR THE LIFE OF ME WHY THE CLINTONS DO NOT DENOUNCE THIS RAG TIME JAZZED AND RAPPED UP HAS BEEN PARTY. THEY WILL NOT GET MY MONEY OR MY SUPPORT. YOU WANT TO CALL ME A RACIST. WELL COME TO THINK OF IT....... YES I AM..... JUST LIKE YOU AAs ARE THAT CAN'T QUIT BASHING A WOMAN THAT IS MORE PRESIDENTIAL THAN OBAMA COULD ONLY DREAM OF BEING. I CAN NOT THINK THAT YOU THE ONE WHO SAID LIKE CCN THAT WE ARE JUST UNEDUCATED FOLKS WHO VOTE FOR HILLARY. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF YOU AAs COMPLETED HIGH SCHOOL MUCH LESS GO TO COLLEGE. I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT I HAVE MY MASTER'S DEGREE AND I AM A HILLARY SUPPORTER UNTIL SHE MAKES THE WORST MISTAKE SHE CAN MAKE AND JOINS FORCES WITH OBAMA .

June 17, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  8. D. Holiday, OH

In every case someone has to lose. Clinton supporters are sore losers and need to grow up. Take your empty threats with you to the polls. We'll see you there.

GObama! 🙂

June 17, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  9. Craig Nazor

No candidate is perfect. I do not agree with any candidate on all issues. But like it or not, only one of two candidates is going to win. What are the most important issues? We need to stop global climate change now – Obama is for carbon cap and trade, the only method that will work in time, McCain is not. We need to get out of Iraq ASAP – Obama will do that faster than McCain. We need to change our energy policy – McCain wants to increase oil drilling – Obama wants to invest in more efficient technologies. McCain is for torture (after being against it), and Obama is against torture (American citizen or not – if it is a living, sentient being, it is torture). These issues are all far more important than man or woman, black or white, gay or straight, flag pins, cranky sermons, or any number of countless other distractions. So make your choice. But be careful – you will have to live in the world that you help create by your decision. "Selecting" and then re-electing Bush made America look like a whole country of "idiots"!

June 17, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  10. Dan, TX

I believe that people who post here are by far the most foolish group of people in the America. But they reflect the nonsense that we see in the MSM. I really believe the most serious news shows we have left are John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Shame on all of you. Obama and Clinton supporters who criticize. Go crawl back into your holes. Fiddle while Rome burns you fools. The rest of us don't need you, or the MSM.

June 17, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  11. Bill

Where did some Clinton supporters get all of their paranoid anger? I hope you are the exception, not the rule. What a selfish bunch of spoiled babies. It's no wonder teachers are frustrated with the attitudes of many undisciplined students. Do yourself a favor, and open your mind. Paranoid people breed paranoia.

June 17, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  12. patrick

Mccain just wants to distract Obama , thats the only reason he brought the debate offer....Its obvious Obama has barely been the nominee for 12 days now......

However, i dont know what makes Mccain so sure he would do all that great debating Obama in the 1st place......he is charting dangerous teritory to even offer such a thing.

June 17, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Fake Hillary Supporters

While reading lots of hate comments by so-called Hillary supporters, I've concluded that they are not hillary supporters, but just Obama haters, in other words Black man Haters. What a shame.

June 17, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. Breaking News

Ellen Malcom is just working the room to see what she can get out of it. How quickly she has changed her tune.

See the deal is "You knock one out and the rest will fall in line" Unfortunately, Hillary had to take the punch for her campaign and supporters.

June 17, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. jm from sc

Annamica, OH,

What does debating McCain have to do with Clinton supporters? That is a cheap challenge because McCain is not comfortable with the platform debates. Obama will debate McCain when he thinks it's necessary. I don't think he should allow McCain to dictate how he runs his campaign.

Shannon, do you know that McCain is against women rights to choose? do you know that McCain is against equal pay for women? Do you know that McCain is too old and only looking for people to feel sorry for him so he can get elected? Also, do you know that Sen. McCain voted for the war and will continue it for the next 10, 20 or 100 years without any regards to the fact that this was should not have been authorized in the first place. Many senators vote present on things that are right by law, but they don't personally agree with it. That is a way to abide by the law without injecting their own personal feelings into the matter.

Obama will win this fall because he is the best man for the job.

June 17, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. sarah

I love the movement of UNITY building as we get prepared for the GEs. I am so inspired politically and this is a very exciting time for American politics. Let's join together to send a strong international message that the U.S. can and will be respected as uniters rather than arrogant bullies; a message that we are so much better than the image that this current administration has afforded us. We have so much work to do – let's do it together folks.

~ Proud American Woman

June 17, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  17. Bubba

just another run of the mill, garden variety HWW. HWW = Hillary's Whining Woman

June 17, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. Poultry

Ralph:
    Obama may be chicken but McCain is still a turkey! Nice try tho!

June 17, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. TonyinKentucky

A vote for McCain is a vote for the death of the American dream.

What indicates to you folks that four more years on anywhere near the same path will not severely damage our nation and the very concepts of liberty?

Hillary for McCain people are now logically required to demonstrate how they have similar policies in any way.

If Obama is too inexperienced, then why in the world were you voting for someone with even less time spent in office?

If Obama is too liberal, then how were you going to stomach voting for Hillary who has a nearly identical platform?

If Obama is an empty suit, how does he become magna cum laude at Harvard Law as well as the President of Harvard Law Review?
    Even if he is, it would appear his strings would be held by the likes of Ted Kennedy, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and Joe Biden. That group isn't exactly Rumsfield, Cheney, and Rice. Why in the world would a democrat object to such powers behind the throne?

Why do people compare Obama's experience to W's? Dubbya was a two term Governor of a large state, which is about as much executive experience as you can get?
    Plus, he had been an executive in several businesses. Bush was in no way inexperienced. Heck, he's been President for almost eight years and still isn't worth a quarter.

It's also obvious that McCain, Clinton, and Obama all bring exactly ZERO executive/administrative experience to the table, so the argument by definition is a strawman.

Experience is not a substitute for judgment, morality, an even keeled demeanor, or intellect.

June 17, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  20. Hillary Supporter

It has really upset me that Hillary didn't get the nomination. I will always believe that she is the best person we need at this time in the White house.
    Obama supporters are too judgemental to take a look from Hillary supporters standpoint.
    I have been taking a look at McCain and Obama.. my decision on who I will vote has not been made. I am leaning more toward McCain because I don't see Obama as a trust worthy person. As a Christian it would be hard for me to vote for Obama.. as an Proud American that cares about this country I find it hard to believe that Obam can protect this country.

June 17, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  21. Poultry

Obama might be Chicken, but, McCain is definately a Turkey!!!

June 17, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  22. ed

obama may win over some of clinton supporters but not this one, and it has nothing to do with race, issues, or anything else. its the fact i don't like him or his wife, and the fact that he was in grade school longer then he has been in politics tells me that he has not earned the right to be on the primary ballot, let alone the president of the united states. yes, the country needs change but change comes from things getting done and you obama supporters blew that win you nominated him. so this real dem. will be writing in clinton on the ballot come nov. if i knew more about how to do i-reports and that kind of thing i would be telling all her supporters to do the same thing she would win the big states and beat both mccain and obama and then reel change would happen.

June 17, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  23. Eileen from Maine

Jan June 17th, 2008 7:45 pm ET

We Clinton supporters need some time. I'll ask one simple question. If Obama had lost, would you all be so gung ho to join Hillary's campaign?
    ----------------------------–
    No, I would not be so gung ho to join Hillary's campaign. You are right about that, it would take me some time to come around. ----------Please be aware that most of the nasty commenters on these blogs are actually paid by McCain to stir up trouble within the Democratic party. Yes, his campaign, publicly advertised for people to comment on the blogs.

June 17, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  24. obamacan

get over it already.let's win this ,so we can solve our problems.

June 17, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  25. Scott

In response to Shannon's comments, which are absurd right-wing talking points, and certainly not that of a true Democrat:

1. McCain missed more votes than any other sitting Senator (missing 61% of all votes)–topping even Senator Tim Johnson who suffered a brain hemmorage mid-session (52%). Senator Obama's missed votes were on par with Senator Clinton's (in fact, they were listed consecutively on # of mised votes).

2. I'm glad Obama voted no on Kyle Lieberman, which was widely regarded as the precursor to a blank check to give President Bush the authority to attack Iran. Even Senator Clinton hedged on the vote.

3. Obama voted present 8 times on choice in Illionis to protect his fellow Democratic colleagues in conservative districts. He did so with the approval of (and endorsement by) NARAL Illionois. They approved of the Democrats strategy to vote present, because they knew it was the best way to (a) keep pro-choice legislation on the books, and (b) protect the Democratic majority in Illiois. If you want to compare John McCain's position on choice to Obama's, be my guest. He's rabidly anti-choice and believes that abortion is not acceptable even in the event of rape or incest.

4. The FISA vote is a legitimate policy dispute (Which many Democrats agreed with). I personally see no reason to extend retroactive immunity to the telecoms for violations of wiretapping laws.

June 17, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |