June 18th, 2008

CNN Electoral College Map: Obama picks up a major swing state

CNN

Click here for CNN's lay of the land.

(CNN) - Pennsylvania has swung into Obama's column in the new CNN Electoral College Map.

"The Quinnipiac poll in Pennsylvania indicates that Obama may not have a problem carrying states that he lost to Hillary Clinton during the primary season, regardless of the chatter on that topic back in April," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Holland added that the addition of the traditional fall battleground to the Obama column moves the Illinois Senator from seven electoral votes behind McCain to 17 votes ahead, but that the more important number is 59 - the number of electoral votes Obama still needs to win the White House, assuming every state that is now in his column goes for him in November.

"It will take at least three 'toss-up' states for Obama to reach the 270 needed to become the next president," said Holland.

Be sure to check here to get the full CNN interactive Electoral College map.

The map is based on analysis of several factors, including polling, voting trends, ad spending, candidate visits, and guidance from the campaigns and political strategists.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Formerly Ashamed

BTW, Hillary did Obama a great service by roughing him up during the primary so now Republicans will be low on ammo. Also, she isn't campaigning hard for him yet so that he can win the country over on his own merits and THEN she'll seal the deal for him. She's so smart, I hope he at least puts her in the cabinet!

June 18, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. boered1

DB June 18th, 2008 4:43 pm ET

I live in PA and I would never vote for that snake in a suit. Just proves how stupid the people of this country have become
    ______________________________________________________
    wow an honest idiot did not think there were any out there.. oh I see it now you are implying that those who vote FOR him are stupid.. well I guess that just shows that you ARE an idiot.. and not honest.. sorry for my mistake!

June 18, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  3. fairandstraight

Lynn, we are not too excited, we just love Obama and wish him well.

It would be in the best interest of this country to stop looking at race and support the candidate that will best make changes in our behalf. Sen. McCain will continue most of Bush's policies. No one in their right mind should want another republican in office.

It is all about race, otherwise, with the condition this country is in, the republican nominee would have less that a 30% chance of winning in November.

Obama & his choice of VP 08

June 18, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. mediabias

I never get polled because I'm black. I'm 47 years old and I have never been polled and never been sent a notice for jury duty.

June 18, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. Informed voter from florida

The polls are bs. I have not ever been polled, nor has anyone that I have spoken to about this race. The "polls" indicate obama leading in Florida. There's no way, no how . We, the people in Florida have been talking and the unofficial poll has Obama getting his tail whipped . Rightfully so, I might add.

June 18, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. MD

The DNC knew this would happen. That is why the more times Hillary said that SHE is the one who can carry the battleground states, the more super delegates went for Obama! As we move towards Novemeber, more and more states will swing to Obama.

If not, we have to brace ourselves for 4 more years of continuing Bush's insane policies, plus some new, even more insane policies by McCane.

June 18, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Enlightened Voter - can't afford repubs

As long as the repubs don't steal the election AGAIN, Obama will be president.

June 18, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. ls

The remarks "empty suit", "snake in a suit", and so forth, represents mindless illustrations.

It is people like this that have made this country what it is today. A big mess – due to people's lack of good judgment and common sense. Especially good judgment. Just look who is making the decisions in the White House. And how did Bush get there.....not by me.

June 18, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. R.I.F.

Lynn,

Now you don't think the polls mean nothing but a month ago this was Hillary's ENTIRE arguement. She was looking at POLLS that showed her up in some states. Those were polls conducted when there were two dems against John McCain and you think that those were more accurate than the ones now with a true head-to-head matchup?

June 18, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. fair press

Why is the news all about Obama and his wife all the time?

The Media is very obviously pro-Obama biased.

It is what helped Obama in stealing the democratic nomination away from HRC- and now it appears the media continues to support and campaign for Obama.

Can we have some fair press coverage?

June 18, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. sozzi

It's the ECONOMY, morons. If you want the same of the last seven (7) years, you vote for McCain. PERIOD.

June 18, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. J.D.

CNN's map may as well be written in crayon. Your analysis is flawed. To give just two examples, Wisconsin belongs in Obama's column (as evidenced by just about every state poll) and New Mexico is a toss-up (there is no evidence to suggest it leans more towards McCain than Obama)

June 18, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Mike, Ontario Canada

It was pretty clear from the beginning that all those arguments about Obama not being able to carry the swing states were bogus; the lesson for the public is: if what a politician says doesn't make sense, then don't believe it.

June 18, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  14. hello

IN ALL POLL NO. MOST IMPORTANT NO. ARE UNDECIDED IF THEY GO FOR STUPIDITY ON PART OF OBAMA FOR NOT SELECTING HILLARY THEN ALL SWING STATE WILL GO TO MACCAIN COLUMN

June 18, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  15. Diamond

I believe either way that Obama is going to win this election but not by a landslide, I do think he will do preety well tho. If these polls are correct, then obama will easly atleast win over half of the "toss up" states and win. I also believe without a doubt in my mind that America is tired of republicansand thier "policies". Mccain is the same as Bush no matter how many times he says he isnt. I believe Obama, is the right one to get America back on track and make it a more comfortable place to live in.

Obama 08

June 18, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. MD

DB: You have the right to vote for whoever you want. However, you do not have the right to insult other people in your state who have decided to support Obama.

Being disrespectful is easy. Having the ability to make a case for why you are not willing to support your party requires the ability to "reason," which is clearly lacking in you.

June 18, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. rj

have any of these pollsters ever visited PA??
    for goodness sakes, wake up already!
    there is NO way Pennsylvanians are going for a black guy named Hussein. Neither will Ohio nor Virginia and dont be surprised when NJ goes red as well on election night.
    Just wait and see, Obamanuts.
    You'll be just as shocked as you were when Gore lost Florida and Kerry lost Ohio, despite the polls saying they had comfy leads.

NO-Bama EVER!

June 18, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. MD

Several states in the Toss Up column already belong to Obama. Of course if you had given those to Obama, he would already have the required number of electoral votes, and your new fance map would rendered useless.

Report NEWS, not speculation.

June 18, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Poor choices

Of course...
    With the media and DNC knocking Hillary out of the game- it should be easy for EVEN Obama to win. No one cares that he is not qualified and has shown some bad judgement. All that matters is that he is now the ONLY democrat. Too bad we have to choose the lesser of two evils, rather than have the option of a really GREAT candidate.

The anti- republican sentiment out there is so strong that voters will put even an unqualified, cheating, lying democrat – who has no track record and has never done anything at all for his country- into office.

Kinda like the Bush phenomenon all over again. Charisma over character.

June 18, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. angelina

Sen.Obama and Michelle will be d new "Camelot" of our generation.

June 18, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  21. MD

Several states in the Toss Up column already belong to Obama. Of course if you had given those to Obama, he would already have the required number of electoral votes, and your new fancy map would rendered useless.

Report NEWS, not speculation.

June 18, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. maybe polls lie

I know a lot of people who are not ever getting polled- and they do not much care for the Great Obama.

June 18, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. jeff from Tx

Obama bringing change........what change? All I see is him surrounding himself with people that have been in politics longer then him! Wake up and smell the coffee people! He rode on Clinton's tailcoat and now he's using Washington Democrats to tell him what to say to get him elected. Of course they will stand behind him, he's ignorant about politics and they can get him to do as they want. Get your heads out of the sand!

June 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  24. Randy - Denver

Marty June 18th, 2008 4:53 pm ET

I can not fathom what people see in Obama? Someone please tell me
    ______________________________________________________

Certainly I will tell you, I see an integrity not often seen in Washington (I will admit up until the last 4 years I saw this in Mr. McCain also).

I see a candidate who is running a campaign not beholden to large donations from individuals and Lobbies but one who is running a, so far, successful campaign on small donations from millions of people, in other words one who will be more beholden to the people for reelection than to the lobbies and therefore possibly more responsive to our needs.

I see a candidate who is willing to change the status quo in Washington but who has also impressed those who have been around for a long time enough with his knowledge and abilities to win the support of old style Washington from both sides of the aisle even though he threatens the status quo.

I see an American who came up through the trenches, got some good breaks and made the best of them, someone who I could ahve known and liked while growing up, not much different than those I knew.

I see someone who does not flip-flop on the issues, who has made mistakes and OWNS up to them, who expects to make more mistakes but is willing to seek the advice of those around him to help prevent him from making those mistakes.

I see someone who cares for his country and the people in it, no matter what their background and is willing to put himself out there and face all the lies and slander the entrenched powers throw at him for daring to stand up to them and say ENOUGH!

I see someone who is a thinker, you do NOT get to be editor of the Law Review by being an intellectual lightweight, who is willing ot listen to others, even those he disagrees with, who can accept a differing point of view without slandering the person who poses it, and then, after getting this input, balanaces it out and draws his own conclusions and takes action on that conclusion, but is willing to change if it turns out to be the wrong solution.

So what do I see? I see a true leader who inspires me to do my best because I know he is doing his best and is as concerned about me and mine as I am. A true statesman and American.

So tell me what do you see in Mr. McCain?

June 18, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Tony

Polls changes daily. It's not over until November. So you Obama supporters I would not get too excited yet. Remember what happen in 2000 and 2004.
    Yeah, George, Karl, et.al. defied the odds and stole the elections, first in FL in 2000 and then in OH in 2004

June 18, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |