June 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama 'touched' by the First Lady's defense

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/obama.family.may20.jpg caption="Michelle with her husband and daughters at a campaign event in Iowa last month."]
(CNN)— Michelle Obama said Wednesday she was “touched” First Lady Laura Bush came to her defense when her patriotism was questioned.

“There’s a reason why people like [the first lady],” Obama said on ABC’s The View. “She doesn’t fuel the fire.”

Earlier this year at a campaign event Michelle Obama said, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country.”

WATCH Michelle Obama respond to questions of her patriotism

Laura Bush told ABC last week the remarks must have been misinterpreted.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said the first lady, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Obama said Wednesday she had sent The First Lady a note that took her “a while” to write, but wouldn’t divulge any details because she didn’t know whether it had been received yet.

Related: McCain: Treat our wives with respect

Filed under: Laura Bush • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Kenneth M

WOW, HUCK AND THE FIRST LADY, LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE READY FOR A CHANGE ALSO. THEY MAY NOT BE SUPPORTING OBAMA, BUT THEY ARE TRYING TO GET THE REST OF YOU TO TALK ISSUES INSTEAD OF TRASH. IF YOU DONT LIKE HIS PLAN ON TAX, GLOBAL WARMING, CHOICE, THE WAR, THE ECONOMY THAT IS ONE THING, BUT STICK TO THE ISSUES.

June 18, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  2. Independent for Obama

That's really nice. I think anyone with any sense realizes that if you were followed and recorde 24/7, you would say some dumb stuff. All the people posting on these blogs would have tons of things for the media to rip apart and discuss.

I think we should respect all the candidates (and their spouses) that are willing to put themselves out there knowing they might be told they "cackle," that they are unpatriotic, unchristian, fake, or confused. People will bring up their spouse's career, say nasty things about their kids, and blame them for everything anyone they've ever known has done.

If we want better people in politics we should start by expecting better reporting and demanding that these types of smears not appear on respectable news outlets.

June 18, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. Please No More Obama's Mama

Yeah she is touched alright,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She needs to go back to her church and stay there

June 18, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Lee in Illinois

Who cares?

June 18, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  5. Enlightened Voter -

I'm still not not proud of my country and haven't been for a very long time. And I'm still patriotic. Just because I'm not a gun toting hunter who has the flag hanging from my home doesn't mean I'm not either. The way this country has let me and millions of others down makes you bitter.

June 18, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

America please do not be affraied of the first Black Woman to be called the Lirst Lady. She is gourgus and strong, she will do some great things for our country. God please Bless the Obama’s and keep them safe. I hope to see the light in America come January 2009 and I also hope that light spreads all over the world!

Obama 08/12

June 18, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. TheTruthHurts

Michelle will be more of a challenge for many to swallow than Barack. She's clearly a Black woman from the south side in ways he'll never be. I think that will be AWESOME for America to have her perspective in the white house. How different a life circumstance she brings to being a sounding board for her husband.

My prayers are with them both because this will be a horrible time to be president even if that makes it a great opportunity.

June 18, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. HULK

Laura Bush for 2012

We need more good republicants in office or Hulk mad!

June 18, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. No Cain Do

Michelle Obama for First Lady !

June 18, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. Citizen

Why is it that the people who are always questioning someones patriotism is usually not all that patriotic? The alleged patriots are always looking for ways to violate the Constitution and abridge the rights and freedoms of the people.

The Republicans, who are nothing more than Facists, are always running off on that patriotic crap (flag pins, etc.), but yet they are the ones trying to destory the Bill of Rights.

June 18, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. 4 THE CONSTITUTION

MIchelle said I"m REALLY pround every time but once (a mistake). She goofed and left out the word REALLY,which she emphasized when she said it. That is the same as "I'm MORE pround" and in context it was clear she was not implying she was not ever proud before. And McCain has the gall to say people miscontrue what he says. It is rediculous!

June 18, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  12. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

How about:

Obama/ Huckbee

I would like that!

June 18, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. Reflective Voice of Reality

She said, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country.”

Well, I can say that I have struggled to be proud of this country lately, especially under Bully Bush's ego running and ruining our foreign policy, especially in regards to this illegal war in Iraq!

I totally support talking to all world leaders, whether you consider them enemies or friends. Without solid, good-faith negotiation between two parties, there can rarely ever be common ground found between them...and yes...that includes working and talking to Iran unconditionally!

June 18, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  14. Niky

You know... for one thing, Obamas have the social ettiquite for sure. I am proud of them.

June 18, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  15. The Bush Twins : George and John

I always thought the First Lady had more brains that her husband. And yes, Michelle Obama's comments where taken out of context. She said "for the first time she is REALLY proud of our country". Anyone with half a brain can understand what she was saying. How is it that First Lady Laura Bush seems to get it, yet the rest of the repubs. don't ?. Thanks First Lady for speaking up.

BTW there have been times in these past 8 yrs. that I have NOT been proud of my country.

June 18, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  16. Eliot from Chicago, Illinois

Did "cookie-gate" come up?

Just kidding...the quality people are telling everyone to stick to the issues. It can only help.

June 18, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. jimmy velman

WELL, OF COURSE SHE IS A FIRST LADY .LAURA BUSH HAS ALWAYS BEEN A FIRST LADY. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

June 18, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. Cheryl

WOW! I saw Mrs. Obama on the View this morning and I must say, she is absolutely smart, beautiful and sophisticated. She is going to make a great first lady...Obama 08!

June 18, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Abbey

Ironic that someone so critical of Hillary and Bill and their personal lives and "tone" would then herself be oblivious to the scrutiny of the candidates and their spouses. You'd think someone so smart would be more perceptive.

June 18, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. IAMWMD

The GOP aka Gas and Oil Party needs to lay off this woman who worked for everything she has unlike the botox beauty that was handed everything on a silver platter.

Obama 08

June 18, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. Jim

Aw shucks I love these people! They are so humble, will be a great first family!

June 18, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. Ken in NC

Michelle Obama is displaying the qualities of a gracious First Lady. I call it a natural response to the current First Lady coming to her defense over a slip of the tongue . I hope people will allow her to just be "Michelle Obama" and not try to make her into what they want her to be. A wise man once said, "No one portrays you better than you".

June 18, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. Pepou

I always thought that Laura Bush was a lot more intelligent than her husband. She recognizes that Michelle Obama is a wonderful woman, educated, articulate and who will make a gorgeous First Lady.

June 18, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Michelle would be a FIRST LADY the world will love and respect, Laura Bush hasn't done bad either and may God Bless her.

June 18, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  25. nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

One idiot first lady attempting to cover for another potential idiot first lady – i am so shocked1

June 18, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |