June 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama 'touched' by the First Lady's defense

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/obama.family.may20.jpg caption="Michelle with her husband and daughters at a campaign event in Iowa last month."]
(CNN)— Michelle Obama said Wednesday she was “touched” First Lady Laura Bush came to her defense when her patriotism was questioned.

“There’s a reason why people like [the first lady],” Obama said on ABC’s The View. “She doesn’t fuel the fire.”

Earlier this year at a campaign event Michelle Obama said, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country.”

WATCH Michelle Obama respond to questions of her patriotism

Laura Bush told ABC last week the remarks must have been misinterpreted.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said the first lady, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Obama said Wednesday she had sent The First Lady a note that took her “a while” to write, but wouldn’t divulge any details because she didn’t know whether it had been received yet.

Related: McCain: Treat our wives with respect

Filed under: Laura Bush • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Russ

Mrs. Obama is a great and gracious lady, and will serve our country tremendously as first lady.

Obama '08!

June 18, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. Info

LEAVE MICHELLE ALOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE!!!!!!!!

June 18, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. CT voter

That is such a great picture cnn, way to go in showing the human side of politics!

June 18, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. Julliet

Michelle will be fine. I do want her to get some help in dressing. Not because I think she can't dress, but because I think she has been working and taking care of kids for the last nine years. She has a world wide audience now, and I think she needs a stylist. Someone to tell her about wearing prints on national television, sleeveless dresses without a jacket, no visable pnty-lines, dresses that are a little too snug, sleeves that flap while you're waving, etc.

Also, when she has the kids with her, she needs to coordinate them as well, so the picture will be better. Jackie always had the kids dressed in the same colors or coordinated. Remember any pictures taken now will be historic.

Michelle also needs to stand up tall when she's speaking, and not bend down to reach the microphone. The microphone should be pulled up to her, not vice versa. She needs to stop pumping her fist in the air, leave that for Barack. She will get all of this in time, and I know she will be a great first lady.

Remember when Hillary came to Washington, she wore opague stockings, headbands, etc. So everyone has to learn, not just Michelle.

She needs help because she WILL be my first lady, and I'm onboard no matter what.

Obama 08

June 18, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. Chris

It is great to have a good First Lady like Michelle. Finally someone well educated. American's should be proud to have a first lady like Michelle.

Good bless you Michelle and the Obama's.

June 18, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. rhona hoffman, chicago ill

Women ROCK!!!!
    rhona hoffman, chicago

June 18, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. sd

thanks to laura bush to cindy mcwar that can twist anything to get her mcwar elected.

June 18, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. Tom Eyemdaman

This is old news. Did you regurgitate it to take the edge off the article about Cindy McCain being liked more than Michelle Obama?

CNN, you're bias is beyond showing, it leaves bias behind.

June 18, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  9. Ken in NM

I hope no one tries to spin this. I think that was extremely nice and fair for Laura Bush to say what she did and for gracious of Michelle to send that letter to Laura. I don't understand why people must demonize people who they don't agree with.

June 18, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. k

The comments made by Huckabee and Laura Bush have given me some hope in the Future of America.

June 18, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. jane in CA

She WAS proud then. Now she is REALLY proud. Or she might meant that she is MORE proud. If any still questions about what she should have said then let put yourself in front of a huge audiences for your first few times and feel it.

June 18, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  12. Ex-Republican

I was a republican.. no more. I thought McCain would have been a different leader but as it turns out he is just another panderer who has very little moral convictions.

HE IS NOT A MAVERICK ANYMORE!!

He has flip-flopped so many times that I find it hard to keep track of what his policies are.

I am going to vote Obama.. McCain is a joke..!

June 18, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  13. Mike in Calgary

Laura Bush were what you would expect from a decent and gracious person – as distinct from the small-minded quip from Cindy McCain.

Michelle said "really proud" rather than just "proud". Would critics prefer that she "really really proud" or would three reallys or four reallys suffice. Perhaps a different word should have been used by Michelle such as extraordinarily, or ......

Obama was right when he spoke of the "SILLY SEASON" being here. For Laura Bush, it's the summer season.

The more the partisan Republican attack, the more they disgrace their pro=life and other supporters!

Mike

June 18, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  14. Raghu

Hmm. I still think Laura Bush is part of the RSM(Republican Spam Machine)

June 18, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  15. DJ, LA, CA

Yeah who cares. First ladies are entitled to have their own opinions.

The RNC keeps trying to make an issue of Michelle Obama.
    Whatbout Cindy McCains tax returns? Why does she only reveal 1 year?
    Isn't that more important?

June 18, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. Dominique- MD

Good for Laura, Good for Michelle. See how (some) women know how to be cordial. Too bad everybody didn't get this gene.

Can we stop talking about the dumb comments. Thanks 🙂

June 18, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  17. staice Allen TX

I like Mrs Obama,I think a lot of people don't know a strong woman when they see one.

June 18, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. Crush Rush

I feel really sorry for Laura.She is a fine lady.Its just a shame her childhood sweetheart turned into a Dictator.There is a lot of sadness in her eyes.She probably would have left George along time ago if not for her religious upbringing.

June 18, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. michael

At least Michelle did not have an affair with someone else's husband like Cindy McCain did. John was cheating on his wife with Cindy which he freely admits. This is who we want to lead the free world?

June 18, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. Francisco in NY

Talk about kissing up. First kissing up to Hillary when before she dropped out of the race you wanted nothing to do with her and now Mrs. Bush. What a two face – anything to get in the white house huh Michelle ? You don't fool me one bit.

June 18, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  21. Vera /AB. Canada

I saw Michelle Obama on the View this morning. What a lady she is beautiful, good sense of humor, and very smart and caring , she will make a wonderful First Lady. Barack you will be proud of her as being the First Lady.

OBAMA FOR 2008/20012

June 18, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. xddy4u

That was very commendable of First Lady Bush. Only First Ladies know the rigours of being in that position. Remember we are all Americans, we may have different views on certaimn issues, but when all is said and done, we're still Americans.

June 18, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. sd

hanks to laura bush not cindy mcwar that can twist anything to get her mcwar elected

June 18, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Lynn

We have already seen the real Michelle Obama. From now on she will be on script. Any more messups from her and Obama will throw her under the bus.

June 18, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. Hillary Clinton

I must admit this headline got me all hot and bothered. I don't understand why I wasn't invited for the 'touching' since I'm the only real lesbian out of the three of us.

June 18, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |