June 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama 'touched' by the First Lady's defense

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/obama.family.may20.jpg caption="Michelle with her husband and daughters at a campaign event in Iowa last month."]
(CNN)— Michelle Obama said Wednesday she was “touched” First Lady Laura Bush came to her defense when her patriotism was questioned.

“There’s a reason why people like [the first lady],” Obama said on ABC’s The View. “She doesn’t fuel the fire.”

Earlier this year at a campaign event Michelle Obama said, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country.”

WATCH Michelle Obama respond to questions of her patriotism

Laura Bush told ABC last week the remarks must have been misinterpreted.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said the first lady, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Obama said Wednesday she had sent The First Lady a note that took her “a while” to write, but wouldn’t divulge any details because she didn’t know whether it had been received yet.

Related: McCain: Treat our wives with respect

Filed under: Laura Bush • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Gary Jaussaud

My Comment is:

Mrs. Obama is a very bright and strong person, she has the stuff to
    be a wonderful first lady. I don't think there is a man or woman on Earth born to know what to expect as the President or First Lady of this
    Country. It is learned, and some times from those that have gone before them, to share thoughts and give advise. Once Mrs. Obama has to chance to be with these people she will learn when to hold back or push an issue.

I fell she will be a super first lady, has she has so much energy and
    feeling for people, she will get people involved in our government that
    have never given a thought as to how this country runs, Sen Obama
    wants from the people up involved in the process and Mrs. Obama can be a big part of that.

Also first ladies have their own team of people that advise them, and
    once she has her own team, you will see how poised and presidential
    she will become. Because she is so smart, she will learn how things
    work real fast.

June 18, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. ag

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH LAURA HERE. MICHELLE IS A EDUCATED WOMAN WHO SAID WHAT SHE MEANT. GIVEN THAT MANY AMERICANS QUESTION BARAK HUSSEIN OBAMAS PATRIOTISM SHE IS SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THATS A MISTAKE SHE CAN NOT MAKE. NO I BELIEVE SHE SPOKE FROM HER HEART AN WAS GENUINE AND WHILE I APPLAUD HER HONESTY IT IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE TO ME.

June 18, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. K in CT

Well CNN is pushing for their pick for 1st wife ! Hope they get what they want. Wouldn't it be a hoot though, if they don't get what they want. Last I knew, the VOTERS are the ones who pick the President and so far BOTH candadates have WIVES ! Just in case CNN doesn't know, the wife of the elected candadate will get to be 1st lady. So all the pushing, promoting etc., will be for naught if the voters elect Senator John McCain.
    John McCain for President 2008 !

June 18, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. GA Republican

God-for-bid you go out and work, become successful and are rewarded financially for it. Becase a democrat is going to look down upon you and claim it was all given to you. You see, a typical Republican works for a living, I mean works hard. Then you have the Dems who depend upon Government handouts. They need the Government to take care of them. The people who live in the hood do so because they want to , that's the way they were raised. If you want to be successful than you can but first you must want to. Look at Obama, he is a perfect example. I'm not, under any circumstances voting for him but I do give the guy credit for doing something with his life. He's a tremoundous success. Unfortunatley he is only going to help increase the Gov. handouts and help the lazy. Let's give more tax dollars to the poor. I worked hard to get where I am and I expect to keep what I earn. I have NO problem in helping the people who have unexpected hardships for they deserve to be helped!!

June 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. rethuglican

I'm rich and dont care about gas prices so i'm voting for John McCain. And it's a man's world, so we decide what a woman can do with her body, another reason i'm voting for John McCain. Last but not least i cheated on my wife before, so John McCain and I have something in common!

Mccain 08'
    No drama obama 🙂

June 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Anthony

Hats off to "First Lady in waiting", Michelle O!!! Not only is she beautiful and smart, she carries herself very well even in the face of stupidity. Let's stick to: economy, gas, mortgage, war, rece relations, congressional ethics, etc... instead of what this beautiful woman is saying or wearing. By the way, how in the hell did Barack get such a beautiful woman. I like him and will be voting for him, but I am still puzzled how he sweet talked her. He's not very cool or smooth or having any savy.....Hey, I just figured it out: He's very HONEST!!! Something that Washington doesn't realize exist. The Republicans are soooo afraid of Barack that they figure the only way to defeat him is to attack Mrs. O, thus hoping he will lose his cool and blurt out great sweltering words of empitness, like they do. All I have to say to america is: Stand still and watch God work.

June 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Debbie

I was never as proud to be an American then the day after 9/11 when our people as a nation came together.

Since then, the nation has been torn apart. I have seen the Stars and Bars being flown on homes in Wisconsin. (It is my guess that those people did that because of Obama being the probable Democratic candidate for president), and there are various other reasons, which I won't go into because of the time needed to explain.

I want to know, what ever happened to all of those yellow ribbons that were on your vehicles after 9/11?? You used them to state how you "supported the troops." Everyone was quick to say how patriotic they were, patting the troops on the back, the thank you's the parade's honoring them. Now it is becoming a thing of the past. You are getting, "tired," you need something else to get your attention.

Before you start questioning my patriotism, I want you to know that I gave three years of my life in service to this country. 1973-1976 and now I and others like me are mentoring the troops coming back.

Patriotism is not what you say but, what you do

June 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. Jason

I love Laura, she's natural.

June 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. LADIES 1ST!!!

MARK ………………..That's her problem. We do see through her. She went to schools she didn't deserve to go to and she hates America…….

……………..MICHEAL,MARK and CLAYTON WMS OF TX ,I see you GUYS attended the same school (DISREPECT FOR WOMEN)……..NOT only did Michelle deserve to attend THE UNIVERSTIES she QUALIFED.
    BE QUICK TO JUDGE YOURSELF BUT SLOW TO JUDGE OTHERS

HERE'S A DOLLAR PAY YOUR BILLS!!!!

June 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. William, from Cali!

All the "bitter" people, should leave the non-candidates; out of their comments.............Stick with the "real" issues here.Why are you so,bitter?...........................There can be only one, winner! US!

June 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. Down with Obama

4 THE CONSTITUTION, If you believe what you wrote, I have some ocean front property in AZ that I will sell you. LMAO

June 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Monisha

Well, this is America, this country must always live up to the ideas of free speech. Free speech is dangerous when it used to spread hate. Michelle is speaking from her heart, and this is critical. How can we reach new places as a society if we can't speak our minds....wow!!!! so the freedom we protect in Iraq, the democracy we want over there, is not welcomed here in AMERICA, the land of the free?

June 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. kayla

Gods' blessing to the Obama family.

June 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. pam Eugene OR

She will make a wonderful first lady. Such a difference in style between the camps here. Michelle has been BLASTED for a few poorly chosen words and no one is talking about Cindy McCain as being a convicted felon for stealing drugs or stealing another womans husband. She committed adultery and married a man old enough to be her father. Google her, I did and was very concerned.
    Michelle was wonderful on the view this morning!

June 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Quinn

Michelle has already explained what she really meant to say about being proud. She mispoke. It happens. Laura Bush was smart enough to cut her some slack.

Why is it that some people refuse to let it go already? How many gaffes has McCain made?

Calling Michelle a RACIST makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.
    If you want to say that she is not patriotic enough OK, but a racist?
    Come on! That's just stupid!

How many of you haters on this board are willing to admit that you wouldn't like Michelle even if she never made the comment?

June 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. gina simpson

God Bless Barack and Michelle Obama and God Bless America.

Michelle is NOT a Stepford wife.....she has opinions.....is strong....a good Mother and Wife and.... Patriotic.

The Media.....and the other Campaigns have all been in their business.....have tried to demonize them, hurt them and attack them. They KNEW this was coming. And yet they decided that they loved this Country enough to have Barack run for the Presidency. To go through what they are going through (and more to come-I am sure).

They knew people wanted change.....knew Barack could lead this spectacular Movement and change the way that Washington does things. They knew it would be hard work and it would not be easy......but they knew America needs to come together and heal....to become strong again .....here at Home.....and all over the World. And they knew that Barack was the ONLY one with the GUTS...the Dedication......the Vision and the PLAN to do this.

Obama '08

Michelle will make a LOVELY First Lady and I can't wait to see this Wonderful little Family in the White House.

June 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Michael

So what she is "touched". If this some appeal to Republican votes, since you are NOT going to get votes from Clinton supporters, don't waste your time.

Is this all that CNN has to talk about? Given this is all that they have now that that empty suit was pointed the Democratic nominee, doesn't surprise me. What happened to the rock star? Hasn't been jamming lately.

June 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Rick from Bowie

It is a shame the media twisted her statements out of context. I'm patriotic–born and bleed the great USA but honestly this war and how we Americans are perceived does not make me proud. How Bush handled Katrina on the world's stage does not make me proud. War does not make me proud.

I am proud to say that our country has a tremendous upside and we want to make it a better place for our children. I'm proud to say that will be a collective effort and that's what it is all about.

June 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Jackie

Unfortunately Michelle Obama has a very very very long way to go
    to be able to even be in the company of Laura Bush. Michelle just does not have it. I hope her make-over works for her husband' sake. She just is not a warm person and comes across very insincere.

June 18, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. RosaCA

This was a nice thing for Laura Bush to do. The really sad thing is that apparently the MCCain crowd having nothing to offer us on health care, the environment , mortgage crisis constantly goes for these personal targets. Or perhaps I should say Fox news Hannity and O'Reily.
    Is she the new wedge issue now that gays , God and guns are not being used.
    I realize that there is a huge audience for this kind of mindless thing.
    Thank you Laura Bush for being the better person.
    Michelle is awesome.

June 18, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. dejah Thoris, Pepperell

Wow. How about thinking of those same terms "gracious and great" and apply them to a female president? Why is it they're only gracious and great when they're playing second fiddle to their husbands? In Mrs. Bush's case, she's been the better one all along, but we've had to suffer through eight years of his stupidity.

June 18, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. GB

I don't see the beautiful, smart and sophosticated.

June 18, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Florida-livin

Every Man will defend his wife No matter what. If it is not on any issue leave the wife out of it. There is too much at stake. Talk about real issues. Laura Bush , Michelle Obama, and Cindy McCain are all good woman. Leave it alone. Issues please...

June 18, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. Realistic

I will be so glad when the PUMAs hitch up their doublewides and move their Poor White Trash arses back to into the boonies.

Have you noticed that NOBODY respectable has allied themselves with the PUMAs, who are just a bunch of old ninnies with no job and too much time on their hands. (Many are legitimately racist too but of course they deny that publicly).

Hillary took one step forward for women's rights; the PUMAs have taken two steps backwards in showing that many women are unreasonable haters when they don't get their way.

June 18, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. Nancy McKinney

To angry Hillary supporters:
    Remember when a McCain supporter called Hillary the "B" word and HE LAUGHED!!! Please show Hillary some respect by rejecting this support of calling Hillary the "B" word

Also, a McCain supporter who raised $300,000 for McCain joked about women being raped, and McCain REFUSED TO RETURN THE MONEY!!!

Also, he voted AGAINST women having equal pay (look it up!!)

As a woman, and fellow Hillary supporter, I ask that you please show some respect for Hillary by rejecting this disrespectful behavior that McCain has exhibited towards women and vote for Obama!

June 18, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |