June 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama 'touched' by the First Lady's defense

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/obama.family.may20.jpg caption="Michelle with her husband and daughters at a campaign event in Iowa last month."]
(CNN)— Michelle Obama said Wednesday she was “touched” First Lady Laura Bush came to her defense when her patriotism was questioned.

“There’s a reason why people like [the first lady],” Obama said on ABC’s The View. “She doesn’t fuel the fire.”

Earlier this year at a campaign event Michelle Obama said, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country.”

WATCH Michelle Obama respond to questions of her patriotism

Laura Bush told ABC last week the remarks must have been misinterpreted.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said the first lady, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Obama said Wednesday she had sent The First Lady a note that took her “a while” to write, but wouldn’t divulge any details because she didn’t know whether it had been received yet.

Related: McCain: Treat our wives with respect

Filed under: Laura Bush • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Janet

It's time for people to stop trying to make Michelle into a Jackie Kennedy. There is and will never be any similarity between the two. It makes Michelle look like a poor imitation. What is it with these Obamas–they just won't let go of the Kennedy coattails. Michelle wearing a string of pearls and dresses similar to the ones that Jackie wore does not give her the same look or elegance that Jackie had. In fact, Michelle is too hippy to look anything but fat in the type of clothes she chooses to wear.

Please give us a rest-she is what she is, I'm sorry.

June 18, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. lois

Michelle Obama knows what she is doing, but is this the real person or just what she wants you to see? They all play this game.

June 18, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. GREG FL.

To no more Obama Mamma, your just about the most ridiculous person I have run across lately. As a matter of fact there are a lot of posters on here that make me laugh. Such angry people and you all think your comment is going to change someone's mind or some how swing the election. It's very comical. This isn't even close to a represention of the voters in this country. I see all the bickering and venom on here and it is something else. Take a deep breath and step away from the computer.

June 18, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. Obama-Junkie, IL

Jane in CA....get a life. I'm amazed at how simple and narrow-minded folks like you are. So focused on the word "proud" from a candidate's spouse, meanwhile the economy is poor, manufacturing jobs are heading overseas, the Iraq and Afghanistan war continues to drain American of their cash and loved ones, health care costs and the price of oil are at all time highs!

And you are concerned about Michell Obama using the word "proud"!

June 18, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. Democrat In Nebraska

Women ROCK!!!!
    rhona hoffman, chicago

Rhona, you are absolutely right! I look forward to seeing more of them in our political mainstream. Hillary, and to another extent, Nancy Pelosi, have done wonders for the natural advancement of women in this area. I think it's well past time for our intelligent women to step into office. Of course, the old joke is, if you're really that intelligent, why would you want to be in politics?

Grace and intelligence, as has been displayed in this story of Laura Bush and Michelle Obama. It really is time for a change!

June 18, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. Charlotte

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Tara Banks is a beauty, Michelle looks like Condi Rice. Laura Bush is a nice lady and so was Barbara, their husbands are another story altogether.

June 18, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. Fairfax Voter

I agree. Laura Bush is a great first lady, and this was a real kindness. I am glad Michelle Obama wrote her a note.

In general I feel that President and Mrs. Bush have handled Senator Obama's historic candidacy with grace and real leadership. You don't have to agree with him politically to recognize this is a milestone in American history. In fact, someone has noted he would be the first nonwhite leader of a Western nation in 500 years, so it's not just American history. Of course, if the voters don't like Obama's policies or ideas, he should lose. But it shouldn't have a thing to do about race, and the Bushes have done a good job saying that. I commend them both.

Sorry the comments are closed re Mike Huckabee's similar comment but I was delighted to see it. Please note this is NOT the first time he has voiced similar thoughts. He even said at the height of the Wright brouhaha that he understood where Rev. Wright's generation was coming from, although of course he disagreed with what was said. I believe this is because Mike Huckabee is an ordained minister and also because he grew up in the Deep South and has thought more about the issues of race and American values than some younger "attack dogs" operating on autopilot. Good for him too.

June 18, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. atypical white woman

perspective is everything, eh?

here's to creating "new worlds of experience that stimulate our continuing evolution."

by the way, check out WingMakers.com sometime.

Peace

June 18, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Anybody but Hussein for President

Her patriotism should not be questioned. But this is a flagrant example of how inexperienced and unqualified her and Barack Hussein are as a couple for the international scrutiny and respomsibilities that come with the White House.

June 18, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. vic nashville,Tn

Hi CNN I am getting tired of your political Ticker
    Every day your blogs about Michelle Obama and Polls
    Are you really independent ?

June 18, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Proud American

Michelle is a real person and a real American. Lets Go Dems!!!

June 18, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Interesting

Beware of trusting a BUSH.

Katrina, 2000 presidential election, Iraq War, the list goes on.

I guess she thinks she can kiss up to Reagan Democrats. NOT.

June 18, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

laura and the twins are human beings, unlike george who values money over people.

i bet laura CANNOT WAIT for january so georgie boy can run off to dubai or wherever he's gonna go to avoid the criminal charges he faces. cheney will be following right behind so be can go back to heading up haliburton's newly and oh-so-conveniently moved headquarters in dubai!

June 18, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  14. Justice League

Laura Bush herself is a fantastic first lady. Do not judge her by the actions of her husband. And like any great first lady, she is reaching out to the next, the one she most admires. Laura will always have my utmost respect.

June 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. The Lady

Mrs. Obama don't worry honey we got your back.

June 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  16. Dem

Who cares!?!?? This is fluff I would expect from People magazine. Not from CNN. This is ridiculous. Stick to the issues.
    Oh-wait you can't because Barrack still hasn't said how he plans on changing America. Why not post how he now thinks NAFTA is good.

June 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. james blackstock

Both of them are tired bores. Please leave politics to others who understand.

June 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. Republican Obama supporter

Laura Bush has always been a class act even when her spouse was making a fool of himself, which was most of the last 7 years.

June 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. michael

Hey Ted,
    The fact you use a trem like,"dollars to donuts" tells me you should not even be allowed to use a computer. Who fault is it McCain does not have more favorable stories today? He is in league with Bush, he flipped flopped on off shore drilling. He wants to stay in Iraq. His economic plan is a remake of Bush's policy's .

June 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  20. AJ

My gag reflex is about to kick in...

June 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. Jon

What's the big deal?

June 18, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. After further review,Texas

Michelle will make a fine first lady.I see the dittoheads got their daily bread crumbs from the grand wizard of half truths and spin today.I almost feel sorry for them,they work so hard at creating chaos,hatred,division,and buy hats and t shirts so their fearful leader can buy more cigars and steaks,live in a castle and laugh at them while he goes to the bank.

June 18, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. Yes we can... typical of our language

I bet Obama would win the presidential nod hands down if his slogan....

"YES WE WILL"

instead of

"YES WE CAN"

saying the word "can" means we "can" change if we want to, but with the way Obama speaks, it's more like "WILL" change...

interesting...

I think people against Obama should make signs saying "Can we?"

June 18, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. Bishop

Is it possible that Ms. Bush, too, doesn't like Sen. McCain, therefore she had to poke McCain in the eye with her words of support toward Ms. Obama. It's almost like a subliminal message that she, too wants Sen. Obama to win. She may not trust McCain all that much, and feels that there are two HUGE quagmires that have to be fixed. She may think that McCain is going down the same path that led us into danger in the first place...

BTW...Once again McCain is jumping on the Bush bandwagon with his newest flip-flop on drilling.

Also, if we'd stop being such oil-crack babies and tried something new we might not be so dependent on others. If all the oil is to be tapped out, we'd have no choice but to find alternatives. Why wait until it's too late, that's what Pres. Bush does...

June 18, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Tonya, Richmond, VA

Yes her comment was taken WAY out of context.

"For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country.”

In other words I have always been proud of my country but now I REALLY AM...

I mean really it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what she meant. But then again when you're in the public eye you have to watch how you say things because they will scrutinize it. Sad but true.

June 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |